Start by marking “What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person” as Want to Read:
What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person

What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person

Belief can exist in isolation, but faith requires a relationship

Why wade in the shallows of belief when you can plunge into the depths of faith? Belief involves a different way of thinking, but faith brings about a new way of living. It grows through direct experience and a close relationship, both of which come as you follow Jesus.

As Christians we often talk about develop
Published March 13th 2012 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about What Matters Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Matters Most

Cheryl
Oct 03, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I especially liked the historical stories and references sprinkled liberally throughout. The stories were many, varied, almost all new to me and tied in well with the subject at hand.

I did not think the book was “gripping” but it was close. It was engaging and thought provoking. I found myself nodding my head in agreement and inwardly saying, “Yes, I agree”, on several ocassions.

The best part was the first two chapters where the author covered the basics o
James
Sep 02, 2012 James rated it really liked it
This is not a new book. It is a new title for a book that is eight years old. Waterbrook Multnomah has latched onto a marketing strategy for giving older books a new lease on life by re-releasing them with a brand new title. Titles are often the privilege of the publisher anyway, so certainly re-titling is their prerogative. Of the five re-titled books I have read from Waterbrook Press I have read, at least three of them benefited from the re-christening. So does this one. Previously released as ...more
Richard
Oct 25, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Never before have I been so surprised by a book.

Leonard Sweet has experienced a re-release; What Matters Most used to be titled Out of the Question...Into the Mystery. I was expecting the typical hum-drum faith-based inspirational reading but what I got was punch-in-the-gut awesomeness.

Christianity: a series of truths, or a relationship to be lived out? Maybe both? Sweet attacks this debate from the post-modern worldview and defends the need for relationship with God.

Filled with eight parts, eac
Kelly
Jan 18, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I received What Matters Most by Leonard Sweet for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

We all have relationships, whether we are the most outgoing person or prefer to spend much of our time alone. In Leonard Sweet's book, what Matters Most, he discusses an overall theme of "Faith Is a Relationship" (Part I) while exploring seven areas of relationship:

Our Relationship With God (Part II)
Our Relationship With God's Story (Part III)
Our Relationship With Other People of Fai
Chris
Aug 30, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've always enjoyed Len Sweet's writing and this 200 page book is as thought provoking and academically sharp as they come. Perhaps my age (43) helps me to connect with many of his illustrations. New Coke and the rise of the personal computer are two I recall from this text.

My only critique of Len's work is, it doesn't know when to stop. This book for instance boasts "Bonus online content available!", it also contains, questions for personal conversation and shared conversation. Neither of whic
Joel Jackson
Sep 13, 2012 Joel Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
In a time when our society exists in the midst of broken relationships, such as those caused by the rampant social disease of divorce or those caused by a dependence on social netowrking, Leonard Sweet's book, "What Matters Most" truly matters. In this book Sweet deftly defends the notion that all human beings are created for relationships--a relationship with God and relationships with other human beings. Most interesting for theologically minded individuals is the exploration of Abraham and ...more
Marcus Lynn
Nov 14, 2012 Marcus Lynn rated it it was amazing
Don’t read this book or any Leonard Sweet book if you’re comfortable with your theology and biblical understanding. Do read this book if you want to be challenged (within an orthodox context) about your understanding of some well-known biblical texts and theological concepts.

Sweet’s main focus in “What Matters Most” is relationship and it’s connection to faith. He demonstrates this from the beginnings of the Old Testament through the New Testament. This is so important in a day when Christians s
Chris
Aug 14, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it

When books get re-printed with a new title it seems as if the author is looking for a do-over, or trying to capitalize on the different name and make some extra cash. I’m all for capitalism, book it does seem a little disingenuous. And I’m not the world’s most effusive when it comes to self-help, or let-me-tell-you-how-to-be-better books.
Previously published as “Out of the Question … Into the Mystery,” nothing is lost or overdone in the re-issue. A great read which raises some very good points a
Norbert
Jul 05, 2012 Norbert rated it it was amazing
The progression of thought contained is one that challenges my learned certainties of church and faith. Inviting me into a much broader experience of Jesus. Not as one to know about, but Jesus as a person who knows and loves me and desires a flesh and blood, honest relationship, with me. Extending a hand out of the mystery, pulling me in to join the dance.
Waterbrook Multnomah
Waterbrook Multnomah rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2011
Jack Jacob
Jack Jacob rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Jraulston
Jraulston rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Paul Brown
Paul Brown rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Deb De Vos
Deb De Vos rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Levi
Levi rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Kim Saal griffith
Kim Saal griffith rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Alo Swu
Alo Swu rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Kevin Glenn
Kevin Glenn rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Blossom
Blossom rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Dusty Craig
Dusty Craig marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Brenda Kirk
Brenda Kirk marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Allison Murphy
Allison Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2012
Kendall Collins
Kendall Collins marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
Brian Eshleman
Brian Eshleman marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Beth Pinson
Beth Pinson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Tim Floyd
Tim Floyd marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 12, 2013
C. Lorion
C. Lorion marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Leonard I. Sweet is an author, preacher, scholar, and ordained United Methodist clergyman currently serving as the E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism at Drew Theological School, in Madison, New Jersey; and a Visiting Distinguished Professor at George Fox University in Portland, Oregon.
More about Leonard Sweet...