Клошмерл

Клошмерл

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Клошмерл е тихо и спокойно френско градче в областта Божоле. Страстите на гражданите му неочаквано се взривяват, след като кметът решава да построи първият...писоар.
Published 1980 by Христо Г. Данов (first published 1934)

Lynne King
I was really surprised this morning to come across this book on GRs. I read this book years ago and it's a real gem portraying French village life (Clochmerle-en-Beaujolais in this case). It's satirical, descriptive, evokes wonderful thoughts but it's the mayor who brings particular interest to this village.

Monsieur le Maire, Barthélemy Piéchut wants to have a building constructed:

“Yes a building - and a useful one too, from the point of view of public health as well as public morals. Now let us...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
I had actually hoped this would go on for several chapters more. One of the rare works of fiction one stumbles upon occasionally which, once its last page is read, the reader knows he will miss in the future. Or would fantasize re-reading despite his mountain-like TBR pile.

The setting is a small, wine-producing French provincial town called Clochemerle, sometime in the previous century (I'm not sure if there is really a town by this name in France). Clever author, he carefully mentions the exact...more
Ted
Five stars for satire, four 1/2 for humor.

I first read this book about 40 years ago when I lived in Australia for three years. At the time the BBC had produced a series from the story, which I saw (at least in part) on TV there.

The book is a very biting satire on all aspects of French provincial life in the early decades of the 20th century. The Church (and its officials) are depicted particularly harshly. The first perhaps 2/3 of the book is uproariously funny. However, in the latter part of th...more
Jim
Well, actually four and a half stars.

I was wondering where it was hiding, that France of Oh, la la! The knowing smiles, the buxom wenches, young men and women with an eye on the main chance. We saw a lot of that in Rabelais, and a touch of it in Jacques Tati, but somewhere along the line, it got swept under the carpet. Maybe it was the dour expression of Jean-Paul Sartre that killed it off. Fortunately, before he or any of his confederates had a chance to do it, there was this French writer nam...more
Karyn
It's a lovely idea for a book: take a secluded, rustic, wine-growing village in the Beaujolais region of France, where traditions are long-established and nothing has changed in years, and explore what happens when the inhabitants are exposed to all the new ideas and products of the modern world. Up until the 1920s the fictitious village of Clochemerle was staid and secluded. Things were done as they had always been done, son succeeding father, with life lived according to patterns imposed by th...more
Vicky
Truculent!!! Je n'ai pas envie de le terminer, je voudrai faire durer le plaisir!

Quelle surprise que ce roman, c'est mon chum qui me l'avait donné il y a deux ans et il attendait dans ma liste de livre à lire. Il m'avait dit qu'il l'avait adoré lorsqu'il l'avait lu il y a plusieurs années. C'est un livre plein de prejugés sur les gens, sur les femmes, sur la politique, la religion, bref sur à peu près tout ce que vous pouvez imaginer mais, malgré celà, quel fin observateur de la nature humaine q...more
Huw Evans
This is one of my all time favourites and, having leant it to somebody else (Paddy if you're reading this, it was you) i have not been able to find another without breaking the law. The synopsis of the plot is the fallout that follows the installation of a urinoir in a sleepy French village. The characters are beautifully observed and the description of events is mastefully understated. I need to find another copy so I can re-read this masterpiece fo French fiction.
roxtimes
Genialny preklad a vyborne nacitana kniha v podani pana Karola Machatu, v lubozvucnej slovencine. Povabne pribehy odohravajuce sa v malej francuzskej dedinke, plnej zabavnych postaviciek - od ocarujucich paniciek po vyschnute stare panny, od miestnych frajerov po plesnivych uradnickov. Kniha plna laskaveho, absurdneho humoru. Skoda, ze toho nebolo viac, mozno po tomto siahnem i v podobe klasickej knihy.
Peter
This is one of my favourite books of all time.

Funny, quaint, naughty, and endearing.

It's one of the few books which have made me laugh out loud.
Forgoszel
Szuper jól és profin megírt szatíra. Ebből kifolyólag, nagyon nehéz róla spoilermentesen írni. Ezen a párszáz oldalon annyi képtelen dolog történik, mint mással öt év alatt sem. Természetesen, mint minden szatírának, ennek is megvannak a maga valós alapjai, amit igyekszik felnagyítani és kifigurázni az író. Az olvasó pedig, levonhatja a tanulságot szorgalmasan bólogatva, hogy mi emberek, tényleg ilyen hülyék és gyarlók vagyunk. Tulajdonképpen magunknak keressük a bajt és ha túl nyugodt lenne az...more
Tracy Ratcliffe
Not really the French hilarious farce that this book was advertised as. Read as a book club choice but not my cup of tea.
Patrick
Un bon moment de lecture. Une satire qui trouve encore (et plus que jamais) des échos aujourd'hui, notamment pour la partie sur les élus locaux, les ministres et les fonctionnaires. Contrairement à ce qui est dit, je n'ai pas trouvé de particularité locale à Clochemerle, c'est un roman universel et quasi intemporel. Comme le dit l'auteur c'est un roman sur: '[...] le clan des triomphants, celui des envieux, celui des résignés, celui des contents de leur sort [...]'
Summerafternoo
Uproarious farce played out characters living in Chochemerle-en-Beaujolais. It all started when the Mayor, an eccentric old gentleman of large property and a much respected pedigree, put forth the idea of erecting a monument as a shining example of the superiority his progressive town council; and proposes building a pissor in the town square so that the men wouldn't be forced to return to their parlors to us the toilet - and the farce is off to a excellent 318 page read.
Bev
I have to admit that I didn't finish this one. Not because it wasn't interesting and fun, but rather because I got interrupted for a few days and picking it back up (in French, which is not my native language) just got too difficult. I am, however, planning to get this in translation and try again - largely in order to see how much I missed in VO.
David Grieve
I really enjoyed this book. The language is a bit flowery and takes a bit of getting used to, but it works. The interesting thing is that although it was written in the 30s and set in the 20s, it could just as easily be contempory. The characters are fantastic and the story just romps along. Well worth giving it a go.
Bookmaniac70
Прочетох я с удоволствие, наслаждавайки се на сочния френски хумор, цветистият език и пъстрата галерия от образи и човешка суета.Няма да я сравня с хубаво вино, защото не съм любител, но мога да сравня четенето й с хапването на вкусни узрели череши:-)).
Val
This is very funny and very French. It is set in a village where all the inhabitants seem to be sex-obsessed and somewhat eccentric. The trouble starts when a pissoir (public urinal) is erected in the village square.
It was first published in 1934.
Kaloyana
Чудесен стил. Богат език и много остроумно написана книга, интересна и смешна, без да се заливаш от смях обаче. Образите са колоритни и добре описани, както и взаимоотношенията между героите и техните характери. Чудно лятно четиво.
John Williams
Very funny and engaging. A twentieth century classic.
Sylvester
Maybe I wanted a French version of Miss Read's Thrush Green - yeah, well, it wasn't. Nor was it for me, although the writing was fine, and I loved the location. This was a miss.
Rob Wiltsher
A classic tale of French village life with the lives and loves therein - a glimpse into the French psyche and a rare tale where the TV adaption worked to a large extent.
Suzanne
Entertaining but the translation didn't always work well.
Will
Well written farce, bad narrative.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Smash
Smash marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Gabriel Chevallier (3 May 1895 – 6 April 1969) was a French novelist widely known as the author of the satire Clochemerle.

Born in Lyon in 1895, Gabriel Chevallier was educated in various schools before entering Lyon École des Beaux-Arts in 1911. He was called up at the start of World War I and wounded a year later, but returned to the front where he served as an infantryman until the war's end. He...more
More about Gabriel Chevallier...
Fear: A Novel of World War I Clochemerle-les-Bains [English language] Et forargrelsens hus The Affairs of Flavie Clochemerle Babylon