Start by marking “Клошмерл” as Want to Read:
Клошмерл

Клошмерл (Clochemerle #1)

Клошмерл е тихо и спокойно френско градче в областта Божоле. Страстите на гражданите му неочаквано се взривяват, след като кметът решава да построи първият...писоар.
Published 1980 by Христо Г. Данов (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Клошмерл, please sign up.

Sébastien "Clochermerle"is the original story, Chevallier wrote two sequels afterwards, "Clochemerle Babylone" and "Clochemerle-les-Bains", this one being the…more"Clochermerle"is the original story, Chevallier wrote two sequels afterwards, "Clochemerle Babylone" and "Clochemerle-les-Bains", this one being the 3rd in the serie.(less)

Ted
Feb 21, 2012 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of satire
Five stars for satire, four 1/2 for humor.

I first read this book about 40 years ago when I lived in Australia for three years. At the time the BBC had produced a series from the story, which I saw (at least in part) on TV there.

The book is a very biting satire on all aspects of French provincial life in the early decades of the 20th century. The Church (and its officials) are depicted particularly harshly. The first perhaps 2/3 of the book is uproariously funny. However, in the latter part of th
Lynne King
Apr 28, 2013 Lynne King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised this morning to come across this book on GRs. I read this book years ago and it's a real gem portraying French village life (Clochmerle-en-Beaujolais in this case). It's satirical, descriptive, evokes wonderful thoughts but it's the mayor who brings particular interest to this village.

Monsieur le Maire, Barthélemy Piéchut wants to have a building constructed:

“Yes a building - and a useful one too, from the point of view of public health as well as public morals. Now let us
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
I had actually hoped this would go on for several chapters more. One of the rare works of fiction one stumbles upon occasionally which, once its last page is read, the reader knows he will miss in the future. Or would fantasize re-reading despite his mountain-like TBR pile.

The setting is a small, wine-producing French provincial town called Clochemerle, sometime in the previous century (I'm not sure if there is really a town by this name in France). Clever author, he carefully mentions the exact
Mira Baldaranova
Sep 28, 2014 Mira Baldaranova rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, novels
Kнигата пресъздава живота в провинциален френски град, носещ метафоричното име „Клошмерл“, което крие в себе си златно ключе към посланието й – „Камбаната с косовете“. Легендата разказва, че когато в църквата на тамошния манастир биели камбаната, гнездящите наоколо косовете се разбягвали, вдигайки невъобразим шум. Е, така се случва.

Запленен от красотата на природата в Божоле и легендите за сладостно упойващия вкус на божолезко вино, след живописните лъкатуши на пътя читателят внезапно попада на
ΑνναΦ
Jun 28, 2016 ΑνναΦ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'annata memorabile del Beaujolais (edizione E/O)

Mi sono imbattuta in questo libro per caso, incuriosita dall'autore de «La paura», che tratta di temi del tutto diversi, da quelli di questi divertente libro. Divertente lo è certamente, ma sarebbe riduttivo definirlo solo un libro divertente, è una vera satira di costume, uno spaccato di vita rurale e provinciale che ruota introno al paesino francese di Clochmerle, inizi anni venti, nella bella regione vinicola del Beaujolaix. La satira e la cont
Jim
Jun 06, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, humor
Well, actually four and a half stars.

I was wondering where it was hiding, that France of Oh, la la! The knowing smiles, the buxom wenches, young men and women with an eye on the main chance. We saw a lot of that in Rabelais, and a touch of it in Jacques Tati, but somewhere along the line, it got swept under the carpet. Maybe it was the dour expression of Jean-Paul Sartre that killed it off. Fortunately, before he or any of his confederates had a chance to do it, there was this French writer nam
fox
Mar 06, 2013 fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Genialny preklad a vyborne nacitana kniha v podani pana Karola Machatu, v lubozvucnej slovencine. Povabne pribehy odohravajuce sa v malej francuzskej dedinke, plnej zabavnych postaviciek - od ocarujucich paniciek po vyschnute stare panny, od miestnych frajerov po plesnivych uradnickov. Kniha plna laskaveho, absurdneho humoru. Skoda, ze toho nebolo viac, mozno po tomto siahnem i v podobe klasickej knihy.
Vicky
Sep 20, 2012 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truculent!!! Je n'ai pas envie de le terminer, je voudrai faire durer le plaisir!

Quelle surprise que ce roman, c'est mon chum qui me l'avait donné il y a deux ans et il attendait dans ma liste de livre à lire. Il m'avait dit qu'il l'avait adoré lorsqu'il l'avait lu il y a plusieurs années. C'est un livre plein de prejugés sur les gens, sur les femmes, sur la politique, la religion, bref sur à peu près tout ce que vous pouvez imaginer mais, malgré celà, quel fin observateur de la nature humaine q
Michel
Sep 09, 2014 Michel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, lit, doulce
Don Camillo in Burgundy.
I was like 10 years old when I read this. You can imagine the mirth (read: guffaws) of a (male) pre-teener, reading the story of a mayor who wants to build a urinal against the parish church, and the plotting between parish priest and conservative parishioners!
I want to read it again. Might not be quite so funny now, tho.
Jonathan
Clochemerle was originally published in France in 1934 and translated into English by Jocelyn Godefroi. The story takes place in the 1920s in the sleepy Beaujolais town and begins with two inhabitants of the town, the mayor Barthélemy Piéchut and the schoolmaster Ernest Tafardel, trying to decide upon something that will show the world just how progressive a town Clochemerle is. Every town has a war memorial, a public library will be of no interest to the locals, but Piéchut thinks he knows what ...more
Maya
Mar 05, 2017 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Къде другаде, ако не във Франция ще назрее почти революционна ситуация заради един писоар?!
Героите на Шевалие странно ми напомнят за тези на Чудомир - не само защото са от едно и също време, а и защото кметът, даскалът, попът, кръчмарят, местните клюкарки и хубавици по същия начин са в основата на живота в провинциалното градче, било то френско или българско. Но откровено хапливият език на Шевалие е навлязъл много под незлобивата ирония. "Под ножа" е пуснато всичко - политика, армия, църква, та
Luisa
Mar 18, 2016 Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CHE BELLO!
Questa è una delle tipologie di romanzo che preferisco! Descrizione umoristica e divertente di un piccolo paesino francese degli anni '20, costellato di personaggi bizzarri ed eccentrici, che ancora oggi si possono ritrovare nei piccoli paesini di provincia. Tradotto in maniera fantastica, ricco di spunti di riflessione in chiave comica.

Consigliatissimo!
[Grazie Simona per il regalo, beccato in pieno!]

"Io ora vi farò un'osservazione sul mio modo di intendere le cose.
L'arrivo dei sold
Karyn
Dec 25, 2010 Karyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a lovely idea for a book: take a secluded, rustic, wine-growing village in the Beaujolais region of France, where traditions are long-established and nothing has changed in years, and explore what happens when the inhabitants are exposed to all the new ideas and products of the modern world. Up until the 1920s the fictitious village of Clochemerle was staid and secluded. Things were done as they had always been done, son succeeding father, with life lived according to patterns imposed by th ...more
Huw Evans
Nov 11, 2011 Huw Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, top-shelf, french
This is one of my all time favourites and, having leant it to somebody else (Paddy if you're reading this, it was you) i have not been able to find another without breaking the law. The synopsis of the plot is the fallout that follows the installation of a urinoir in a sleepy French village. The characters are beautifully observed and the description of events is mastefully understated. I need to find another copy so I can re-read this masterpiece fo French fiction.
Chris
Jun 23, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
Bawdy goings-on in rural France between the wars. Very good at character and plot — the humor is occasionally barbed, a la Twain.
Peter
May 09, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books of all time.

Funny, quaint, naughty, and endearing.

It's one of the few books which have made me laugh out loud.
Txe Polon
Quizás el paso del tiempo no ha favorecido a esta novela, que hoy en día se lee como una sátira un tanto trasnochada de una sociedad, que en el fondo, continúa siendo actual, pero cuyas herramientas de satirización se corresponden con otra época. Hay pasajes buenos y entretenidos, con un buen grupo de personajes, pero otras veces la narración se va por las ramas y no termina de centrarse en lo que interesa al lector. Como obra coral, está muy bien conseguida, porque el autor es capaz de apañárse ...more
Silvia
Mar 14, 2017 Silvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, humor
Veselá, poriadne satiricka kniha z francúzskeho vidieku. Humorne vykreslene postavičky a až absurdná zápletka s verejným záchodom. K tomu úplne dokonalý Hečkov preklad. Skvelo som sa zabavila :)
Forgoszel
Nov 28, 2013 Forgoszel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Szuper jól és profin megírt szatíra. Ebből kifolyólag, nagyon nehéz róla spoilermentesen írni. Ezen a párszáz oldalon annyi képtelen dolog történik, mint mással öt év alatt sem. Természetesen, mint minden szatírának, ennek is megvannak a maga valós alapjai, amit igyekszik felnagyítani és kifigurázni az író. Az olvasó pedig, levonhatja a tanulságot szorgalmasan bólogatva, hogy mi emberek, tényleg ilyen hülyék és gyarlók vagyunk. Tulajdonképpen magunknak keressük a bajt és ha túl nyugodt lenne az ...more
Czarny Pies
Mar 05, 2016 Czarny Pies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in 20th Century French History
Recommended to Czarny by: William Eccles
Shelves: french-lit
Clochemerle was recommended to me by every one of my French history professors. It is the perhaps the single best introduction to the everyday frictions that existed between the Catholic Right and the Positivist left that existed in small-town France in the first half of the twentieth century.

My French lit professors would have preferred to think that this book did not exist. Clochemerle is work of mass-market comedy and lacks any subtlety which is the reason that it is such an extraordinary his
lanius_minor
Humoristickou knížku, která mi nesedne stylem humoru, zpravidla odkládám nepřečtenou/nedočtenou. To je třeba osud Osudů dobrého vojáka Švejka, který mi dosud nebyl dost dobrý, abych se do něj pustila. Zvonokosy, ten útrpně líně vyprávěný příběh s banální zápletkou a sexistickým podáním, by na tom nebyly jinak, nebýt bez sebemenších pochyb výborného překladu pana Zaorálka. Těmi třemi stovkami stránek jsem se pročetla čistě z úcty k němu. A jemu též patří ta jedna hvězdička v hodnocení navíc.
Patrick
Sep 07, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un bon moment de lecture. Une satire qui trouve encore (et plus que jamais) des échos aujourd'hui, notamment pour la partie sur les élus locaux, les ministres et les fonctionnaires. Contrairement à ce qui est dit, je n'ai pas trouvé de particularité locale à Clochemerle, c'est un roman universel et quasi intemporel. Comme le dit l'auteur c'est un roman sur: '[...] le clan des triomphants, celui des envieux, celui des résignés, celui des contents de leur sort [...]'
Summerafternoo
Uproarious farce played out characters living in Chochemerle-en-Beaujolais. It all started when the Mayor, an eccentric old gentleman of large property and a much respected pedigree, put forth the idea of erecting a monument as a shining example of the superiority his progressive town council; and proposes building a pissor in the town square so that the men wouldn't be forced to return to their parlors to us the toilet - and the farce is off to a excellent 318 page read.
Bronislava Sencakova
Apr 04, 2015 Bronislava Sencakova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015_read
Je to skvelá kniha, v ktorej víno a moč tečú potokom. Taký mix "Áno, pán minister/premiér", House of Cards a Jesenského Demokratov. K tomu ľúbostné epizódy jemné ako z Angeliky i ťažkotonážna erotika, vrátane pár faktických úchyláčin.

Hečkov preklad je ľubozvučný, ale nepôsobí zastarane, skôr "koloritne". A mená charakterizujúce postavy sú skvelým doplnkom: farár Obrobťa, svätuškárska stará panna Kunikunda Fiťfiriťová, vidiecka barónka z Jelenej Prte.
Jana
Apr 10, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Satira hlavne zo začiatku skvelá a svieža. Hečkov preklad vymakaný - klobúk dole. Napriek tomu ma už kniha ku koncu začala nudiť. Dalo by sa povedať, že dej dosiahol vyvrcholenie niekde v druhej tretine a potom už nasledoval pomerne zdĺhavý výpočet následkov "po vojne", ľahký humor sa postupne vytratil a veľmi mi tam chýbal.
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
This is an old book. The setting is choclomerle. The events and the characters are inhabitants of this place.

I didn't enjoy readibg this book so much. I liked parts of it though. It a compilation of short stories. I. Had difficulties following the plots with the characters.

The fact that I tried reading it also means something. Ioved the wisdom and advice in the book.
Valantin
Незнам защо се харесва толкова много това книжле - дори описанията на природата бяха повече за обстановка, отколкото за приятност. Историята с нищо не носи поука - тривиална селска пиянщина с псевдо-нравствени устои. Диалозите - гола вода.
За втори път в живота си съжалих, че съм отделила време за книга!
David Grieve
I really enjoyed this book. The language is a bit flowery and takes a bit of getting used to, but it works. The interesting thing is that although it was written in the 30s and set in the 20s, it could just as easily be contempory. The characters are fantastic and the story just romps along. Well worth giving it a go.
Bojan
Jun 06, 2015 Bojan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty and brutal at showing the village life, politics and pretty much everything else. While reading the book, I even googled Clochemerle to see, if it was a real place! The characters feel real and I enjoyed the author's vivid descriptions of the countryside.

The book is a good read although not for everybody! It is not particularly fast paced and it took me a few months to actually read it.
Bev
Feb 03, 2013 Bev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I didn't finish this one. Not because it wasn't interesting and fun, but rather because I got interrupted for a few days and picking it back up (in French, which is not my native language) just got too difficult. I am, however, planning to get this in translation and try again - largely in order to see how much I missed in VO.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Conductor and Other Tales
  • Fable for Another Time
  • The Bell in the Fog & Other Stories
  • Bouvard and Pécuchet with The Dictionary of Received Ideas
  • Knight Crusader (Carey Family, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The English Way of Death
  • The Italian Chapel
  • Night and the City
  • Don Camillo And The Devil
  • To-morrow  (Penguin little black classics #64)
  • Les Animaux dénaturés
  • Un homme heureux
  • Le Crime du comte Neville
  • Brendan
  • The Path to Rome
  • Lucia Victrix
  • Преди да се родя и след смъртта ми
  • Ancestral Vices
Gabriel Chevallier (3 May 1895 – 6 April 1969) was a French novelist widely known as the author of the satire Clochemerle.

Born in Lyon in 1895, Gabriel Chevallier was educated in various schools before entering Lyon École des Beaux-Arts in 1911. He was called up at the start of World War I and wounded a year later, but returned to the front where he served as an infantryman until the war's end. He
More about Gabriel Chevallier...

Clochemerle (3 books)
  • Clochemerle Babylon
  • Clochemerle-les-Bains [English language]

“The law, as manipulated by clever and highly respected rascals, still remains the best avenue for a career of honourable and leisurely plunder.” 2 likes
“There is nothing in human affairs that is a true subject for ridicule. Beneath comedy lies the ferment of tragedy; the farcical is but a cloak for coming catastrophe.” 1 likes