Start by marking “The Loveliest Dead” as Want to Read:
The Loveliest Dead

The Loveliest Dead

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  31 reviews
To most people it s just a large house, old and a bit run-down. To the Kellar family it s a new start, a chance to wipe out the painful past and begin again. But soon it will become a living nightmare. The terrors begin before the Kellars have even finished unpacking. Who are the mysterious children playing on the rusty, vine-covered swing set in the backyard? Who is the f ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published January 3rd 2006 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about The Loveliest Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loveliest Dead

It by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingTagged by Joseph M. ChironThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best horror books
105th out of 317 books — 308 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyI Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard MathesonGhost Story by Peter StraubRosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Best Horror Books by People Other Than Stephen King
271st out of 683 books — 886 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly
This supernatural story from Garton came as a complete surprise to me. It was much more "tame" than the books I've come to expect from him, and yet no less enjoyable. This was the perfect read for the beginning of Autumn.

The plot itself is pretty much your standard "haunted house" layout, yet Garton's story has a fresh, more "terrifying" appeal to it than the majority I have read. The Kellar family moves into this house (left to Jenna, the wife) by a father she never met. Having just lost their
Kelly Truelove
We'll Leave the Light on for You...

I was really impressed with this book, on many levels. The paranormal spooks were definitely there, and anyone who has read my reviews knows I love a good ghost or haunted house story. Beyond those elements were characters that I really enjoyed reading about and a mystery at the heart of everything. The author deserves kudos for another achievement as well. All too often, I find myself turned off by an author who feels the need to overwhelm the reader with gore
Dierdra Byrd
I love ghost stories so I picked this book up. I was not disappointed in that choice and really enjoyed the book.
The Loveliest Dead is about a women who inherited a house from her father whom she has never met. The house ends up being haunted by small boys and a "fat man in a cowboy hat". A lot of the story was a bit to predictable for my likeing but the story flowed along well and there were times I found myself reading "just one more chapter" before bed.
There were parts that I did not care f
Peter
David and Jenna Kellar lost their youngest son Josh in a tragic death. It was time for David, Jenna and their oldest son Miles to make a fresh start. Jenna inherited a house from her father that she did not even know. The Kellar's had know idea about the background of this house. They were soon to find out that the house held many deep dark secrets. They also found out that they were not safe there.This a ghost tale that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Kelly
Rating: 4.5 stars

This one was genuinely CREEEEEEPY! I love nothing more than a spooky ghost/haunted house story, and I always start getting in the mood for them around this time each year in anticipation of Halloween. Totally reminiscent of The Amityville Horror, which I've always loved. In addition to being downright chilling, the book had fantastic character development and a great sense of place. I would really love to see this turned into a series following the character of Lily (hint hint,
Regina
I thought this was a really good book. I liked the way it spoofed Ed & Lorraine Warren. The author doesn't come right out and say that but their description and the work they've done sounds soooo much like them. This story was really eerie and I never wanted to put it down. When I did put it down it's all I could think about till I could pick it back up again. I was hooked. Really good easy read.
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
Ray Garton is one of the best horror writers around. I have yet to be disappointed in anything of his. This was an atmospheric ghost story with a little bit of humor thrown in. (Obscure references to a famous, ahem, true ghost story for those who catch it...)
Kilgallen
I am always happy to read a ghost story and to read an excellent one is a real pleasure. The Loveliest Dead is certainly an excellent story. The references to child abuse were horrific but the revenge the boys had was sweet. Fantastic read!
Kimberly
This was my first Garton, and one of only two books -ever- which completly terrified me. This is a horribly scary book in all the right ways.
Tammy
This book scared me. Probably the best haunted house book I've read so far. Garton is awesome.
William M.
2 and 1/2 stars

Ray Garton is usually known for his more adult, disturbing horror. The Loveliest Dead unfortunately, is like Ray Garton-lite, a PG-13 type ghost story that felt very familiar and run-of-the-mill. This has exactly what all the other supernatural novels have - mysteriously disappearing children, unexplained noises in an empty house, strange voices in the basement, and the always predictable chill that passes through the room. There were a few real moments of terror, but not enough
Donald
My copy is an advance uncorrected proof, part of the Cemetery Dance Early Readers Club 5.0

The Kellar family has a chance to start over when Jenna inherits her father's house. It seems like the perfect answer. But before they've even fully unpacked, things start going awry.

Tension builds as some kids are noticed playing on the vine covered swing set out back. Different family members see these kids and even hear them, but each feels afraid to admit what they have seen. Because what they have seen
Martha
Apr 14, 2011 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of ghost stories
Shelves: horror
This is an excellent example of the modern ghost story. This book is easy to read, interesting, and even a bit scary!

Right from the start you feel kinship with the main couple, who lose a son, then the husband loses his job. The wife's father whom she never met leaves her his old house, and boom, you have the setup for a horror story.
Almost right away the family begins seeing ghostly children hanging around. Who are they? What happened to them? I kept thinking as I was reading that I'd rather c
Mike Kazmierczak
While I wouldn't really classify The Loveliest Dead as a light version of Ray Garton's writing, comparatively it would qualify as less hardcore than some of his other books like Live Girls and Night Life. And I'm referring to the material here, not his writing or style. The writing and character development is definitely Garton: strong, very good and enjoyable.

While trying to deal with the loss of their son, the Keller family moves to a new home. An old dilapidated house that has seen better day
Stacy Kingsley
If creepy pedophiles aren't your thing don't read this book. If you like books that involve creepy things and hauntings and revenge prefect for you. A family suffers a tragedy and moves into an inherited house to start over. What they don't know is that something else already lives there and it wants their son....it wants him bad.

I enjoyed this book a lot, in fact I might have nightmares, and the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because some things weren't explained. I'd like to have le
Terralyn Gauthier
This was definitely a nail biter of a book! My only complaint was that it was a bit repetitious at times. Otherwise, right up my alley...scary and full of suspense.
James
one of the more effectively creepy mass market horror paperbacks i've read in a while, if only at the beginning before it falls into the stephen king-trap of explaining too much, at which point it goes from effectively creepy to effectively disturbing, which just isn't as good in my eyes. add to that some awkward dialogue and awkward psychics (...guh...) that only serve to cheapen/cheesify the disturbing subject matter, and it knocks the book down a peg or two. this is really more of a 2.5 than ...more
Robert
It was ok. Poltergeist with a twist.
Jessica
I'm always in search of a great horror novel that chills me to the bone, makes me look over my shoulder and become paranoid over every sound in the house. Though this didn't scare me and didn't make me hang on to every word (took me a while to finish)I like the writing style. It has your typical ghost haunting incidents, which I like and I would recommend this to other ghost lovers. Definitely an author I will read more of.
Josie Grimm
I do love a good ghost story and I think this one will stay with me just for the fact that creepy dead kids appear and disappear.
Stacy
Jun 08, 2014 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I ADORED this book, read it in almost one sitting. Spooky and character driven, excellent story line. I usually reserve 5 stars for those "life-changing" reads, but even though I wouldn't exactly put this in that category, it was so enjoyable that I'm giving it 5 stars anyway. So glad I read it! Will definitely be checking out more of this author's work.
Selene
This was actually not bad at all, apart from the nature of the ghosts atrocities, it was quite a well planned ghost story. Everything was let out at the right time and although predicable it was a quick and enjoyable read!
Glenda

This book was scary because of the pedophile calling those poor boys "puppies" (gave me the chills) and just the evil darkness that permeated that house because of what happened there. Good scary read!!
Aimee
Jan 21, 2010 Aimee added it
Very creepy. I think any horror novel is creepy when it involves dead children, and a crazed dead pedophile. This is my first and only book read by Garton, but it definitely will not be my last.
David Pollison
Knowing the history behind Ray Garton's novel In a Dark Place and his experiences with Ed and Lorraine Warren help to make this ghost story far more entertaining.
Joey
A very good supernatural thriller with well-drawn characters, a spooky premise and twists and turns to keep you guessing.
Kellie Denham tyner
Could not put this book down. It will draw you in from the start 7 keep you on the edge of your seat till the end.
Melissa
Oct 31, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
didn't really grab me fast enough. I might try it again when I don't have anything better to read.
Matt Parsons
Whats worse than a ghost? The ghost of a child killer. This is another haunting read by Garton.
Dorothy Billing
well written. my first haunted house book. So glad the bad Guy got his just due!
  • Ghosts
  • The Halloween Man
  • The Killing Kind
  • Berserk
  • Death Instinct
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Candlenight
  • The Bleeding Season
  • The Tower
  • November Mourns
  • The 13th
20559
Ray Garton is the author of several books, including horror novels such as LIVE GIRLS (which has a movie in the works), CRUCIFAX, E4 AUTUMN, and THE FOLKS; thrillers like TRADE SECRETS and SHACKLED; and numerous short stories and novellas. He's also written a number of movie and television tie-ins for young readers. He lives with his wife, Dawn, in California.
More about Ray Garton...
Live Girls Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13) Ravenous Bestial In a Dark Place