Start by marking “Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses” as Want to Read:
Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses

Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Take a Walk on the Dark Side is the ultimate book for today's rock and roll fan: a fascinating compendium of facts, fictions, prophecies, premonitions, coincidences, hoaxes, doomsday scenarios, and other urban legends about some of the world's most beloved and mysterious pop icons.

Updating, revising, and expanding on material from his cult classic Hellhounds on Their Tra

Published July 13th 2004 by Touchstone (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Take a Walk on the Dark Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take a Walk on the Dark Side

Lindsey
May 24, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
It was great to read but made me paranoid
Sophia Case-Gabbard
Mar 17, 2016 Sophia Case-Gabbard rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to not like this book. You have to enjoy taking a trip with someone, going along with a story, and appreciating that "it's the truth even if it didn't happen" to get through this book. In the immortal words of Ken Kesey, "The hell with facts. We need stories."
Terri
Feb 14, 2008 Terri rated it it was ok
Such a disappointment & a bit hokey! I think the author was trying a bit too hard to draw coincidences. Only intersting part was the plane crash with members of Lynard Skynard - that one actual gave me goose bumps.
Michael Pickle
Not horrible,not great either.There are some factual errors,and the word "ironically" is used a lot.
Lina
Jun 17, 2014 Lina rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about one of my favorite addictions: Rock and Roll.
This amazing book walks the reader through incredible mysteries, myths, hoaxes and legends of our favorite rock legends such as "The Club" which requires members to die at the untimely age of 27, the Led Zeppelin curse, John Lennon's fixation with numerology, the influence of Aliester Crowley in Rock and Roll and many other chilling stories.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this book and discovering all those unknow
Robin Doak
Jun 22, 2012 Robin Doak rated it liked it
Fun concept, badly edited.
Lee
Feb 24, 2010 Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Patterson combines fascinating and well researched information with his uncanny abilities as a "born storyteller". Unlike so many other books of this genre, I found myself enthralled by his literary style:warm, engaging and GENUINELY affecting. His sincere love of the music(and respect for the artists who create it)comes shining through in each paragraph!

The book is written in a warm conversational style that is very compelling. The stories are fascinating and I can assure you that once started
Pedro
May 16, 2008 Pedro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music-bios
This book was a lot of fun to read. A lot of it had to do with how many of the musicians were involved with black magic, voodoo, or a pact with the devil, and how that led to a lot of the unfortunate things that happened to them. Some tales are eerie but some seemed far fetched. The author tells of the many rumors that exist and even he thinks some of the stories are absurd. My favorite part is how Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" coincides with "The Wizard of Oz". I remember when I played t ...more
Dawn
Jan 20, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I love R. Gary Patterson as a frequent guest on Coast to Coast AM and am really looking forward to reading further in this book.

UPDATE: This book was awesome. The only thing I would have hoped for is a bit more details on some of the stories. My favorites were the chapters about Jimmy Page and his Aleister Crowley obsession, and rock's links with Satanism throughout the years. Highly recommended for any music lover and/or paranormal enthusiast.
Phyllis
Sep 09, 2008 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: rock and roll band
Okay, so it took me a while to finish this book, but I enjoyed it so much because I could read a chapter at a time. So many instersting things . . . . Creepe out by the Jimmy Page stuff. . . . Love the numerology connects to the '27' club. Wasn't the best book I've ever read, but might have to look into another one written by this author . . .
Erac Rodriguez
Jan 11, 2011 Erac Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun and interesting read. This book explored parallels in those involved in rock and allegedly involved with the occult (such as Led Zeppelin's fascination with Aleister Crowley) as well as topics such as the myth of the "27" club and what not. Since it involved a mix of topics that interested me, I enjoyed it.
Amanda pepos
Apr 28, 2008 Amanda pepos rated it it was amazing
i absolutely love this book!!! it chronicles the dark side of rock and roll and those that you think are dark really arent. not alot of ozzy in this book but alot of the stones and led though. it is really very interesting and kinda creepy but a fantastic read.
Craig
Aug 27, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
Four stars for the fun factor, maybe 3.5 for overall rating. Chock-full of nifty info about rock stars and odd coincidences/myths of the same. Even some fun numerology with Jimi Hendrix and Aleister Crowley rears his head a few times.
Jenn
Jun 03, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. There were some really interesting myths and coincidences in this book. However, some of the stuff seemed a bit far fetched, but you can't really help what rumors people choose to run with, right?
Ingridamcg
Jul 10, 2012 Ingridamcg rated it liked it
This was a fun read. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already been familiar with a large portion of the material. One thing is certain, I'll never look at Buddy Holly & the Crickets the same way again.
Shannon Barber
Jan 21, 2011 Shannon Barber rated it really liked it
Interesting, enjoyable read. I would not recommend it to people who don't have a fairly decent grasp of blues music. If you don't know the blues the first portion of the book will make no sense to you.
Katie
Sep 20, 2009 Katie rated it it was ok
My early "Halloween" read. The interesting parts did not exceed the length of the book. I found myself to be bored and skimming through the chapters until I found something that interested me.
D'Anne
Apr 27, 2009 D'Anne rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is really poorly written. The title also promises a lot more than it delivers. I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. And did I mention how poorly it's written?
Ana
Dec 30, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
nice and interesting book, a fun read. should have been reviewed though, for there are a number of inaccuracies regarding, p.e., dates and numbers, that are probably just lapses.
Feather Dust
This book was really interesting. I didn't know all of these different myths and stories about songs and artists. I loaned it out to friends who also enjoyed it. I recommend it!
Plazmatix
Feb 28, 2008 Plazmatix rated it really liked it
Interesting look at the myths of rock & roll...the author seems to believe it & I think that actually helps...even though some of it is a little far-fetched....
Angela Hawkins
Mar 28, 2013 Angela Hawkins rated it it was ok
First part of book interesting but the further I got into the book the less I was into it. It seemed to drag on endlessly. I forced myself to read the last two chapters.
Alisa
Jun 17, 2010 Alisa rated it liked it
this was interesting, the way facts were lined up and laid out so it was easy to see the similarities inside the 'devilish rock world.'
Doug
Jul 07, 2009 Doug added it
Interesting reading about Jimmy Page's interest. Flimsy evidence for a lot of the so called coincidences in the book.
Michelle
Mar 12, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves, non-fiction
All the dark gossip and legends you could possibly want in the rock n' roll world. I loved this book
Katharine
Mar 04, 2013 Katharine rated it liked it
Really poorly written, but some of the stories are fun. See: Led Zeppelin and the red snapper.
Kristy
An awesome compendium of rock 'n' roll supernatural urban legends.
Christopher
Aug 27, 2008 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: rock n rollers
Recommended to Christopher by: Phil Waters
Creepy stuff in this book! Be sure to check it out!
Carl Mayo
  • The Grrl Genius Guide to Sex (with Other People): A Self-Help Novel
  • The Founding Fathers Reconsidered
  • Squeaky: The Life and Times of Lynette Alice Fromme
  • Wild Child: Life with Jim Morrison
  • A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other: The Story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon
  • According to the Rolling Stones
  • On the Bus: The Complete Guide to the Legendary Trip of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Birth of the Counterculture
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon
  • Psilocybin: Magic Mushroom Grower's Guide: A Handbook for Psilocybin Enthusiasts
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Led Zeppelin IV