Start by marking “The Search for Belle Prater” as Want to Read:
The Search for Belle Prater

The Search for Belle Prater

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The sequel to the beloved Newbery Honor Book, Belle Prater's Boy

Since Belle Prater inexplicably disappeared about a year ago, her son, Woodrow, and his cousin Gypsy have been searching for answers. Then, on the stroke of midnight on Woodrow's birthday, the phone rings. No one is at the other end of the line, but Woodrow is certain it was his mama. They find out that the ca
Published April 12th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Belle Prater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Belle Prater

Jamie Brooks
I recently saw that there was a sequel put out and I was pretty curious to see what happened to the mother in the book. This book was more in detail when it came to the mother missing unlike the first book where it was more focused on her son Woodrow and how he was dealing with the disappearance. I liked it. I doubt ther will be another book after this because, not to give it away, there was a nice solution at the end of this book unlike the ending of the previous book. Ok I really need to start ...more
Thaynes4
I think this book deserves a 3 star because I enjoyed how the author made it realistic yet mystical. When I picked up this book I Immediately become curious because it was the sequel to the book Belle Prater's Boy and I wondered if Woodrow and Gypsy had found Belle. In this book Woodrow and Gypsy continue the adventure to find Belle and on the way they meet some interesting people in their quest. Also Gypsy and Woodrow meet a new girl named Cassie who happens to have a very "fey" talent and who ...more
Luanne Hatcher
I had some students who requested the sequel to "Belle Prater's Boy," since they were curious about his mom's disappearance and it was not revealed in the book. They were hoping it would be in the sequel. I decided I wanted to see if it would be in this book. I enjoyed reading "The Search for Belle Prater" and recommend it. My students also liked it. Woodrow and Gypsy go on an adventure and meet some interesting people in their quest.
Ryo
Once again, I enjoyed the story of, Gypsy, Woodrow and the new girl Cassie, who happened to have a very "fey" talent.
Very glad everything gets all nicely wrapped up happily in the end for all the children in the story, and it didn't feel too convenient or rushed.
Very lovely children's classic. Love her work! Now I feel like reading more good old children's classics like The Phantom Tollbooth...
PJ
I enjoyed Belle Prater's Boy much more than I enjoyed this book. Lots of buildup and then a very quick ending. Woodrow and his cousin and new friend from school set out to find his mother. They meet a boy on the bus and that boy ends up finding his long lost relative. That was actually my favorite part of the story. Woodrow returns home to the mountain to clean up his house because his father is moving on. The story ends with the mystery being solved where the mother has been but I'm not sure I ...more
Sella Malin
this book was okay. it good, but not as good as belle prater's boy. everyone was begging for a sequel, since the first one left the big question unanswered, so I felt that ruth white only wrote this book because she had to. it would've been much better if she wrote it because she wanted to continue the story herself. I felt that much of what happened was forced. I didn't really like the outcome of where woodrow's mother disappeared to; I was much better off not knowing. It's so much cooler when ...more
Hanna
ok i thought it was an amazing story. i relly do feel bad for woodrow. And his cousin dixi is relly careing. woodrows mom just upping left in the middle of the night and leaves woodrow a note which he doesnt find untill years later under his rug and then he goes surching for her with dixi and they meet two people on the bus and they help them and then ther new friends help them in return.
Joy
I'm glad that there was a sequel to Belle Prater's Boy. This book wraps up things nicely. There are not so many of Woodrow's stories in this book. Two new characters are introduced: Cassie, the new girl at school and Joseph, who Woodrow and Gypsy meet on their bus trip. Joseph is kind of a kindred spirit to Woodrow and puts a bit of commentary on racism and segregation.
Becky
UGGGGH!! ok, I'm sorry if you enjoyed this, but i DIDN'T LIKE IT AT ALL!. I mean, it wasn't enjoyable to me! I felt waaaaay too rushed and there was absolutely NO ENDING! Not once it made sense to me. It wasn't strong enough to grab me in, it just felt like I was reading print, not taking it in.

***You know, maybe it was just that i didn't read the first book.....
Joyce
Just like Way Down Deep, the whole novel was almost perfect, except that the ending was not very reasonable and quite sudden. Love how Ruth White portraits all the happenings from the kids' angles. A lot was left unsaid from Gypsy's perspectives; yet, everything was very much understood by readers. A lot of good lessons too. Great read for all ages.
Mallory
This book was written as a companion to "Belle Prater's Boy". Not only did this book completely tie up any loose ends from the first book, it taught several priceless lessons including racial equality, understanding differences, handling the loss of a loved one, and friendship. I would use this book with grades 5-7.
gina
Kae Larsen
I absolutely LOVE 'Belle Prater's Boy'. This was a fun ending but not nearly the same as the Newbery Honor award book 'Belle Prater's Boy.' I love the books that Ruth White writes. Her stories are awesome for kids who aren't going through the best of circumstances in life, and still come out victorious!
Heather
I picked up this book because the cover looked interesting. Woodrow and his cousin Gypsy go looking for Woodrow's mother who disappeared a year ago. The story was interesting and I didn't realize until I started that this was a sequel, but it was a great book even without having read the first one.
Natalie
Mar 03, 2010 Natalie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Natalie by: no one
Shelves: 2010-books
Belle Prater just mysteriously disappeared. Nobody saw her leave. She left her little boy and husband. Belle loved her little boy, but she thought she just had to go. Windrow, the little boy, went looking for his mom when he got older. It became an adventure.
Melody
This sequel to Belle Prater's Boy is very good for a sequel. She says, damning it with faint praise. It's funny, but not as funny as the first, and the messages are a little too overt for my tastes. Solid writing and satisfying ending.
Kesha
I did not expect the splendid original to garner a sequel since Woodrow's explanation of Belle's disappearance was a sound one. White did a great job of continuing the story while maintaining the appeal of the beloved first.
Sue Zieman
Would have liked it if the time continuity from "Belle Praters boy" had been followed. Wonder why it wasn't. Plus ending lackluster, if she was going to "fly" she should have been a trapeze artist not playing the piano.
Mandy Shank
Susan
A quick read which addresses treatment of blacks, midgets,circus people and other groups that are discriminated against because people fear difference. A cute story too boot.
Deanna
Realistic Fiction--family, mystery, identity. Sequel to Belle Prater's boy. Listened to the audio version while driving to Klickitat. Enjoyed the author interview at the end.
Tal
this book was just ok. the first book was much better. i was kinda disappointed in the ending. it just seemed thrown together. at least we know what happened to belle now.
Pamela
I am very sad that this is the last book about Gypsy and Woodrow. I will miss them very much. I really enjoy Ruth White's writing and her choice of time and setting.
Vicki
Sequel to Belle Paters boy where Woodrow and his cousin, Gypsy and their new friends Cassie and black 13 yr old Joseph search for Belle Prater
Cecilia
Inconsistent use of southern dialect and grammar
Cherice
Nice follow-up to the Newberry-acclaimed Belle Prater's Boy. I enjoyed the characters and the depiction of the 50's in the south.
Olivia
It was charming. I still loved the characters as much as I did in the first but it wasn't the same. I wished there had been more of Belle.
Shari
henry and i read this together. it is a Mark Twain nominee for 2007-2008 and is a nice book about friendship during heated, racial times.
Lola
I'm giving this a strong 3.5. A wonderful sequel, however, I wanted a stronger presence of the two main characters Woodrow and Gypsy.
Amy
I came to love Belle Prater's Boy and was pretty excited to find a sequel. Charming and heart warming. Glad the author wrote it.
  • Part of Me: Stories of a Louisiana Family
  • The King of Mulberry Street
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • Murder at Midnight (Midnight Magic, #1)
  • Water Street
  • Captain Nobody
  • Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware (Pals in Peril #3)
  • Operation Yes
  • The Crossing
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • 42 Miles
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • Rickshaw Girl
  • A Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Game
  • Applewhites at Wit's End (Applewhites, #2)
  • We Could Be Brothers
  • The Tanglewood Terror
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro ...more
More about Ruth White...
Belle Prater's Boy Way Down Deep Memories of Summer Little Audrey You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does)