Dismiss Could not find this book.

Start by marking “The Search for Belle Prater” as Want to Read:
The Search for Belle Prater

The Search for Belle Prater (Belle Prater #2)

The sequel to the beloved Newbery Honor Book, Belle Prater's Boy

Since Belle Prater inexplicably disappeared about a year ago, her son, Woodrow, and his cousin Gypsy have been searching for answers. Then, on the stroke of midnight on Woodrow's birthday, the phone rings. No one is at the other end of the line, but Woodrow is certain it was his mama. They find out that the ca
Published April 12th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Belle Prater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Belle Prater

Jamie Brooks
May 24, 2009 Jamie Brooks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery
I recently saw that there was a sequel put out and I was pretty curious to see what happened to the mother in the book. This book was more in detail when it came to the mother missing unlike the first book where it was more focused on her son Woodrow and how he was dealing with the disappearance. I liked it. I doubt ther will be another book after this because, not to give it away, there was a nice solution at the end of this book unlike the ending of the previous book. Ok I really need to start ...more
Aug 01, 2016 Cammie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder why White felt the need to make a sequel when, in my opinion, the first book left us off in the best place possible.
I liked the first book a whole lot more than this one, because there was some kind of mystery and nostalgia, while dealing with tragic topics, and again, had a great ending.. Having two young kids finally accepting that things like this aren't always resolved the way we want it to be.
This one, however, is much less realistic, and to me, had too many "signs" or random occu
I think this book deserves a 3 star because I enjoyed how the author made it realistic yet mystical. When I picked up this book I Immediately become curious because it was the sequel to the book Belle Prater's Boy and I wondered if Woodrow and Gypsy had found Belle. In this book Woodrow and Gypsy continue the adventure to find Belle and on the way they meet some interesting people in their quest. Also Gypsy and Woodrow meet a new girl named Cassie who happens to have a very "fey" talent and who ...more
Mar 22, 2015 rivka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoyed Belle Prater's Boy
It was nice to have a sequel to tie up the loose ends . . . but quite a bit of it rises to the level of the fantastic and unbelievable.

Fun read, anyway.
Sequel to "Belle Prater's Boy." Woodrow's mother disappeared a year ago but on the stroke of midnight, New Year's Eve, Woodrow's birthday, a phone call comes in. No one speaks, but Woodrow is sure it's his mother. Woodrow and his cousin Gypsy learn that the call originated from the town of Bluefield and with their new friend Cassie, they take the bus to Bluefield to try and find Woodrow's mother. On the bus they meet Joseph who's going to Bluefield to find his father. Instead Joseph meets the mi ...more
Like the first book, this is one that I read previously as a kid, but unlike the first one, I think I only read this one once. There were probably many reasons for this, not least of which being that I would have been a junior in high school when it came out, and so a bit beyond the target audience age. But after giving it a re-read, I think another big reason was probably that it just isn't very good. The first book was excellent, and I don't see why the author couldn't leave well enough alone. ...more
Luanne Hatcher
Jul 29, 2014 Luanne Hatcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had some students who requested the sequel to "Belle Prater's Boy," since they were curious about his mom's disappearance and it was not revealed in the book. They were hoping it would be in the sequel. I decided I wanted to see if it would be in this book. I enjoyed reading "The Search for Belle Prater" and recommend it. My students also liked it. Woodrow and Gypsy go on an adventure and meet some interesting people in their quest.
Mar 18, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, and I'm glad I finally know what happened to Belle Prater. I think I read the first book 10 years ago, so it's been bugging me for a while.

This is a kids book, and the story comes to an end a little faster than I would have liked. The side characters all deserve their own stories. Especially the Luckys.
Jul 06, 2014 Ryo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I enjoyed the story of, Gypsy, Woodrow and the new girl Cassie, who happened to have a very "fey" talent.
Very glad everything gets all nicely wrapped up happily in the end for all the children in the story, and it didn't feel too convenient or rushed.
Very lovely children's classic. Love her work! Now I feel like reading more good old children's classics like The Phantom Tollbooth...
The Search for Belle Prater has a storyline not nearly as strong as Belle Prater's Boy. It's still worth reading just to enjoy Ruth White's beautiful writing style.
Jun 08, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it. Loved it. All these years later I still think about. Read it and you won't be disappointed. One of my all time favorites with such a happy ending.
Apr 14, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sequel to Belle Prather's Boy, cross-eyed, cousins, 7th grade, Virginia
Jun 01, 2014 PJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-books
I enjoyed Belle Prater's Boy much more than I enjoyed this book. Lots of buildup and then a very quick ending. Woodrow and his cousin and new friend from school set out to find his mother. They meet a boy on the bus and that boy ends up finding his long lost relative. That was actually my favorite part of the story. Woodrow returns home to the mountain to clean up his house because his father is moving on. The story ends with the mystery being solved where the mother has been but I'm not sure I ...more
Sella Malin
Oct 04, 2008 Sella Malin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was okay. it good, but not as good as belle prater's boy. everyone was begging for a sequel, since the first one left the big question unanswered, so I felt that ruth white only wrote this book because she had to. it would've been much better if she wrote it because she wanted to continue the story herself. I felt that much of what happened was forced. I didn't really like the outcome of where woodrow's mother disappeared to; I was much better off not knowing. It's so much cooler when ...more
Mar 04, 2011 Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok i thought it was an amazing story. i relly do feel bad for woodrow. And his cousin dixi is relly careing. woodrows mom just upping left in the middle of the night and leaves woodrow a note which he doesnt find untill years later under his rug and then he goes surching for her with dixi and they meet two people on the bus and they help them and then ther new friends help them in return.
Apr 26, 2015 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that there was a sequel to Belle Prater's Boy. This book wraps up things nicely. There are not so many of Woodrow's stories in this book. Two new characters are introduced: Cassie, the new girl at school and Joseph, who Woodrow and Gypsy meet on their bus trip. Joseph is kind of a kindred spirit to Woodrow and puts a bit of commentary on racism and segregation.
Oct 27, 2008 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
UGGGGH!! ok, I'm sorry if you enjoyed this, but i DIDN'T LIKE IT AT ALL!. I mean, it wasn't enjoyable to me! I felt waaaaay too rushed and there was absolutely NO ENDING! Not once it made sense to me. It wasn't strong enough to grab me in, it just felt like I was reading print, not taking it in.

***You know, maybe it was just that i didn't read the first book.....
Nov 07, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like Way Down Deep, the whole novel was almost perfect, except that the ending was not very reasonable and quite sudden. Love how Ruth White portraits all the happenings from the kids' angles. A lot was left unsaid from Gypsy's perspectives; yet, everything was very much understood by readers. A lot of good lessons too. Great read for all ages.
Dec 02, 2009 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written as a companion to "Belle Prater's Boy". Not only did this book completely tie up any loose ends from the first book, it taught several priceless lessons including racial equality, understanding differences, handling the loss of a loved one, and friendship. I would use this book with grades 5-7.
Jul 22, 2011 gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Kae Larsen
Aug 24, 2011 Kae Larsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE 'Belle Prater's Boy'. This was a fun ending but not nearly the same as the Newbery Honor award book 'Belle Prater's Boy.' I love the books that Ruth White writes. Her stories are awesome for kids who aren't going through the best of circumstances in life, and still come out victorious!
I picked up this book because the cover looked interesting. Woodrow and his cousin Gypsy go looking for Woodrow's mother who disappeared a year ago. The story was interesting and I didn't realize until I started that this was a sequel, but it was a great book even without having read the first one.
Mar 03, 2010 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Natalie by: no one
Shelves: 2010-books
Belle Prater just mysteriously disappeared. Nobody saw her leave. She left her little boy and husband. Belle loved her little boy, but she thought she just had to go. Windrow, the little boy, went looking for his mom when he got older. It became an adventure.
Sep 14, 2007 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Belle Prater's Boy is very good for a sequel. She says, damning it with faint praise. It's funny, but not as funny as the first, and the messages are a little too overt for my tastes. Solid writing and satisfying ending.
I did not expect the splendid original to garner a sequel since Woodrow's explanation of Belle's disappearance was a sound one. White did a great job of continuing the story while maintaining the appeal of the beloved first.
Sue Zieman
Would have liked it if the time continuity from "Belle Praters boy" had been followed. Wonder why it wasn't. Plus ending lackluster, if she was going to "fly" she should have been a trapeze artist not playing the piano.
Mandy Shank
Oct 08, 2009 Mandy Shank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jun 23, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read which addresses treatment of blacks, midgets,circus people and other groups that are discriminated against because people fear difference. A cute story too boot.
Nov 08, 2008 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic Fiction--family, mystery, identity. Sequel to Belle Prater's boy. Listened to the audio version while driving to Klickitat. Enjoyed the author interview at the end.
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan)
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • Dark Water Rising
  • Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware (Pals in Peril #3)
  • Murder at Midnight (Midnight Magic, #1)
  • The Crossing
  • Horrid Henry And The Zombie Vampire
  • A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)
  • Captain Nobody
  • The Trouble with May Amelia (May Amelia, #2)
  • Operation Yes
  • Applewhites at Wit's End (Applewhites, #2)
  • A Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • What Body Part Is That?: A Wacky Guide to the Funniest, Weirdest, and Most Disgustingest Parts of Your Body
  • The Book of One Hundred Truths
  • The Tanglewood Terror
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro ...more
More about Ruth White...