Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)

Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth #9)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,525 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Hamish Macbeth has been promoted and assigned a constable who turns out to be a cleaning freak. A strange couple comes to the quiet Scotish Highland village of Lochdubh and parks their horrible bus in the churchyard. Trouble ensues and Hamish must discover secrets worth killing for.
Kindle Edition
Published June 17th 2011 by Robinson (first published 1993)

Stephanie Jewett
There's something about Hamish. These books are definitely a guilty pleasure, even though I don't like the way Beaton characterizes most of the women in them- most of them are either weak and annoying or overbearing and bitchy. Also, most of the interpersonal problems (aside from the murders that drive the main plots) could be easily solved if the people involved would just TALK TO EACH OTHER ONCE IN A WHILE.
So honestly, I don't know why I enjoy these so much. But I do. :)
Ivonne Rovira
What's the best indicator of a fine read? When you can't wait to get to the library to select the next one in the series. That's definitely the case with Death of a Travelling Man.

In this novel, two transients blow into Lockdubh in a remodeled bus, and the village is turned topsy-turvy by one of them, the malevolent Sean. It's a common plot device for M.C. Beaton -- in this series as well as her Agatha Raisin series; however, Beaton is able to make it seem fresh in Death of a Travelling Man. You...more
Dale Safford
The theme is a little familiar - villagers in Lochdubh doing oddly strange things, as if under a spell. But each character still stands out and is interesting. Elspeth has not yet appeared in this earlier book in the series, and she is missed.

Constable Hamish Macbeth is partnered with P.C. Willie Lamont, a cleaning freak who must live with him in the police headquarters and is certainly interfering with the style of living that Hamish enjoys. On a walk one day, Hamish spots a camper, and finds i...more
C.J. Prince
Start at the beginning. Here is the chronological order:
1. Death of a Gossip (1985)
2. Death of a Cad (1987)
3. Death of an Outsider (1988)
4. Death of a Perfect Wife (1989)
5. Death of a Hussy (1990)
6. Death of a Snob (1992 )
7. Death of a Prankster (1992)
8. Death of a Glutton (1993) Also published under the title "Death of a Greedy Woman"
9. Death of a Travelling Man (1993)
10. Death of a Charming Man (1994)
11. Death of a Nag (1995)
12. Death of a Macho Man (1996)
13. Death of a Dentist (199...more
Val
Marion Chesney herself is probably even more interesting than this book! She is known primarily for the more than 100 historical romance novels she has published under her own name and under several pseudonyms: Helen Crampton, Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, and Charlotte Ward. However, this book she wrote as M.C. Beaton which is the pseudonym she reserves for her crime fiction and mystery novels.

The author was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1936 and started her first job as a bookseller in charge...more
bookczuk
Ah Hamish-- always being accused of doing nothing but always solving the murder-- and in this one, he might actually get the girl!

From the Publisher

Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth's new promotion means more money, but it also means that an eager beaver of a policeman, P.C. Willie Lamont, has been thrust upon him, interfering with Hamish's easygoing way of life. On a walk escaping his new sidekick's bloodhound efficiency, Hamish sees a battered camper parked next to the Lochdubh Hotel. The man Ha...more
An Odd1
Sergeant Hamish Macbeth distrusts jobless Sean Gourlay - too handsome - and his effect on Lochdubh village. Sean "odd green eyes" p 75 and girlfriend, foul-mouthed Cheryl, pretend to be persecuted gypsy travellers, but Dr Brodie misses heroin tablets, his wife Angela gets "nervy", the Ladies' Club misses £100 in bills, spinsters Nessie and Jessie Currie put their cottage up for sale. Reverend Wellington loses his faith, preaches brimstone sermons from last century, his tweedy wife dwindles to "a...more
Jerry
“Travelling Man” is one of the earlier (#9) entries in Beaton’s lighthearted set of now nearly 30 novels about constable Hamish Macbeth set in his Highlands Scottish village of Lochdubh. In this relatively short tale, some 150 pages long, Macbeth has been promoted to Sergeant, almost to his dismay, as now he must endure a somewhat hapless helper cop, named Willie Lamont, living at the police station with him. The plot unfolds as two modern-day gypsies, Cheryl and Sean, set up camp in a converted...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Poor Hamish. An unsavory pair of "travelers" park their caravan in the village and proceed to wreck havoc. They are considering themselves gypsies and are hiding behind the laws meant to protect a way of life for a group of people whose heritage is to travel. That is not what these two are though. They are "hippies" of the worst sort and the life of the village is turned on its heels when they show up. They get the villagers on their side in the beginning, but soon things start to sour and inevi...more
Susan Ferguson
Hsmish MacBeth is not pleased when he discovers a "traveller" with his mobile home parked in the village. For some reason, this man really disturbs him. He feels Sean is bad news and will cause serious problems in the district. And this presentiment seems to be coming true as Sean persuades the rector and his wife to let him park behind their house. Then some of the women in the village begin to act strangely = not at all their normal selves. The women include Mrs Wellington (the rector's wife),...more
Carl Brookins

M.C. Beaton has produced nine or ten of these little jewels and she writes the Agatha Raisin series as well. They are classic English cozies. This one again features Hamish Macbeth, a village policeman who so far has managed to avoid taking on a whole lot of work, and cadges meals and other favors from the villagers at the drop of a hint. As often as not, Hamish doesn’t even wait for the hint.

In the Scots Highland village of Lochdubh, Hamish has been promoted to Sergeant, which means more pay bu...more
Kate
"Hamish Macbeth's life is going to pot. He's been promoted (horrors!), his boss is a dunce, and--to add insult to injury--a sinister self-proclaimed gypsy and his girlfriend have parked their rusty eyesore of a van in the village.

"Hamish smells trouble and as usual he's right. The doctor's drugs go missing. Money vanishes. Neighbors grow suddenly unneighborly. Hamish regrets it only because he feels it in his bones that the killer may be one of his friends.

"Nobody wants to volunteer even a scrap...more
Cynthia
I had an audio version of this book. The narration is done by Davina Porter and she is a delight to hear. (I highly recommend her narration of the Outlanders series by Diana Gabaldon) Her characterizations are excellent and she could make the phone directory interesting. Fortunately, she doesn't have to work to make this book a good listen.

As usual, I've stepped into the middle of a series, but that was not a problem. I understand that Hamish MacBeth, constable, is not one for hard work. I also...more
Susan
Hamish Macbeth is stuck with a constable who's obsessed with housecleaning--and the pretty girl working at the local Italian restaurant. Hamish himself is worried about the influence of a layabout calling himself a traveler (and thus entitled to do things like park on public land), who is causing disquiet and unhappiness in quiet, idyllic Lochdubh. When the traveler is found murdered, Macbeth finds that many of his friends and neighbors have hidden reasons to hate the man.
Marilyn Fontane
Dorothy
After reading The Corrections, I needed a lighter book to read so picked up the 4 Hamish Macbeth books that I had waiting by the side of the bed. Hamish had been introduced to me by BBC, which had produced a series of half hour programs featuring M.C. Beaton's Highland policeman as portrayed by Robert Carlyle. I think I enjoy Beaton's Agatha Raisin character more but Hamish is an enjoyable diversion. All the requisite mystery elements are there: quirky police officer who doesn't get along with h...more
Sue
It's dislike at first sight for Hamish Macbeth when he meets traveler Sean Gourley. The ladies in the town all love handsome Sean, but Hamish suspects that he will cause trouble. When trouble comes it's Hamish to the rescue.
Once again it's a delight to visit with Police Sergeant Macbeth in the small Scottish village of Lochdubh.
Una Tiers
This book carried a darker theme than most. On balance, Hamish becomes engaged to Priscilla. The lightheartedness was missing from this book.
JulieLaLa
3.5 stars - another great and fun entry in the Hamish Macbeth series! Can't go wrong with one of these light and entertaining books!
Sho
I saw a few clips of the TV series that went with this, so when it came up as a Kindle offer of the day, I thought I'd take a punt on it (for 99cents, who can complain?).

It's not the first in the series so I'm not familiar with the characters, but they seemed interesting enough - although I'm not sure about the cleaning side-kick Willie) and the story jogged along well enough. I might try the first one, to see if I enjoy it more, but for me the plot was faintly ridiculous, and the main character...more
_inbetween_
Ditto, dammit. Even more so than the last one I re-read, I don't hate Hamish, and this even thinner book (166 pages) has good bad weather descriptions, the hero triumphing against nasty people out to get him, feminist leanings (gasp) and not just is there none of the usual falling-out with Priscilla, no, after missing her often and her helping him significantly, they become accidentially engaged and there is kissing (between P and H for once).

So of course this might really be "best in the series...more
LJ
DEATH OF A TRAVELLING MAN - G
Beaton, M.C. - 9th in Hamish MacBeth series

Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth's new promotion means more money, but it also means that an eager beaver of a policeman has been thrust upon him, interfering with Hamish's easygoing way of life. Fans of the lazy Hamish will delight in seeing him pitted against a zealous young officer while solving a disturbing murder.

Light and entertaining. However, this is one series where I prefer the BBC television series to the books. Nev...more
Kristi
For one reason or another, I have not been reading this series in order, instead randomly picking up titles. "Traveling Man" is one of the last I had left to read in the series. What a treat to finally read about Constable Willie Lamont! Hamish and Willie are like the odd couple - I found myself laughing quite a few times during the book. Loved that this takes place in Lochdubh; plenty of Priscilla, and we even have Angela Brody, Mrs. Wellington, and Jessie Currie as suspects in a murder! This b...more
Travis Cole
a great book series, never boring
Dj
Oh no, at the end of this book Hamish finds himself engaged, if by a series of accidents to his on again off again love, Perscilla.
An enjoyable book where our friendly, if lazy police officer finds himself saddled with an assistant that drives him crazy. And a mystery where he is once again trying to figure out who killed someone. This time in the doing of it he finds out way more about his neighbors than he ever wanted to.
Another in a long line of these enjoyable mysteries.
Dolly
A spicy Hamish Macbeth mystery, with scandals, stolen drugs and money, and smooth-talking and foul-mouthed strangers that bring trouble into town.

It's an interesting tale, although I thought the social commentary to be the most entertaining, especially when the townspeople flocked to the church when the preacher (who had lost his faith) started reading old fire and brimstone sermons.
Nancy
Hamish and Priscilla get engaged in this book. Hamish had been promoted to a sergeant, and he had Willie, an assistant living with him. Willie loved to clean, and was driven Hamish mad. Hamish and Priscilla try to find Willie a wife, but he finds a girl on his own. Blair is in the hospital, being treated for clitorises of the liver. Hamish again goes out of his district to interview people, and to solve the murder. I enjoy this series of books.
Anna
I found myself laughing aloud several times at this story. I thought I'd read some previous M.C. Beaton's before -- from another of the authors' series -- but this story was a lot of fun. Some great interactions among the different characters. I particularly enjoyed the subplot involving the minister's change in preaching and how the village responded.
Kyrie
The book started out with people being rude for no reason. It made me think of Beaton's Agatha Raisin books. I don't like those books as well as Hamish books because everyone in them seems brusque and rude.

But... as the story wore on, things got better and I enjoyed the mystery more. I love how the errors worked out in the last bit.
Susan
This is one of a long series of books set in a village in Scotland with the policeman Hamish Macbeth as the main character. Almost all of the characters are likeable and I particularly enjoyed the interaction between Hamish and Priscilla. When Hamish finally gets down to work, he does a good job of tying up the mystery.
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs Jefferies, #18)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis...more
More about M.C. Beaton...
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)