Start by marking “Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)

Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth #9)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,847 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Hamish Macbeth has been promoted and assigned a constable who turns out to be a cleaning freak. A strange couple comes to the quiet Scotish Highland village of Lochdubh and parks their horrible bus in the churchyard. Trouble ensues and Hamish must discover secrets worth killing for.
Kindle Edition
Published June 17th 2011 by Robinson (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Travelling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Travelling Man

Stephanie Jewett
Dec 06, 2010 Stephanie Jewett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, funny, series
There's something about Hamish. These books are definitely a guilty pleasure, even though I don't like the way Beaton characterizes most of the women in them- most of them are either weak and annoying or overbearing and bitchy. Also, most of the interpersonal problems (aside from the murders that drive the main plots) could be easily solved if the people involved would just TALK TO EACH OTHER ONCE IN A WHILE.
So honestly, I don't know why I enjoy these so much. But I do. :)
Beth
Jan 05, 2017 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining but average.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's the best indicator of a fine read? When you can't wait to get to the library to select the next one in the series. That's definitely the case with Death of a Travelling Man.

In this novel, two transients blow into Lockdubh in a remodeled bus, and the village is turned topsy-turvy by one of them, the malevolent Sean. It's a common plot device for M.C. Beaton -- in this series as well as her Agatha Raisin series; however, Beaton is able to make it seem fresh in Death of a Travelling Man. You
Wolf Ostheeren
Mar 06, 2016 Wolf Ostheeren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I love Hamish Macbeth. And this one was a special treat in several ways. Not the murder case itself, as usual, but the characters, the Highlands, my favourite village bobby's life. For once I wish the fifth star said "I loved it" and not "it was amazing": Don't see this as a recommendation when you're looking for great literature. This is a book to settle down with for a lazy Sunday afternoon when the real Scotland is too far away or too expensive. Tea and scones could probably m ...more
Andrew
Nov 11, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful visit with Hamish Macbeth in the fictitious village of Lochdubh in the Highlands of Scotland. Hamish has to work hard in this one to solve the intricate murder of a Travelling Man - especially when so many wanted him dead. Quite complex events occurring in this remote location. Do enjoy this series!
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
Another one I missed earlier. Lots of red herrings, several villagers getting up to things that are "out of character" (seriously, they do this every book, does Hamish really know these people?). This one filled in some of the personal life stuff that I missed regarding Hamish, Priscilla, Willy, and Lucia.
Debbie
Oct 18, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast, fun Hamish MacBeth story, this time drawing in several familiar village characters, all with motives to be guilty of the murder. Romance is on the scene throughout with a to-be-continued dialogue at the end. Now I'm going to have to read #10!
C.J. Prince
Mar 09, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start at the beginning. Here is the chronological order:
1. Death of a Gossip (1985)
2. Death of a Cad (1987)
3. Death of an Outsider (1988)
4. Death of a Perfect Wife (1989)
5. Death of a Hussy (1990)
6. Death of a Snob (1992 )
7. Death of a Prankster (1992)
8. Death of a Glutton (1993) Also published under the title "Death of a Greedy Woman"
9. Death of a Travelling Man (1993)
10. Death of a Charming Man (1994)
11. Death of a Nag (1995)
12. Death of a Macho Man (1996)
13. Death of a Dentist (199
Helen
I like Hamish but there was a bit too much prejudice in this one for me (especially as, in the end, the layabouts living off everyone else's taxes weren't the villains after all!) Finishes on a high for everyone, apart from the baddie of course.
RebeccaS
Nov 09, 2015 RebeccaS rated it really liked it
I love revisiting Lochdubh and the over the top characters there. Hamish Macbeth grows on me more and more. There is quite the scandal in this sleepy little town and it was interesting to follow the story. I love the way MC Beaton spends a good amount of time building the character of the soon-to-be murdered so we can get a real idea of the character before his/her demise. Then Macbeth goes against the rules to find out the true murderer....sometimes it seems like he is the only one who really c ...more
Michelle Harvey
Sep 08, 2016 Michelle Harvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the first ten books from the Book People for £9.99 and wasn't expecting much but loved the whole set.
The Flooze
May 16, 2016 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing the lengths Hamish will go to in an effort to protect his quiet village. In some ways, it's just as well that he doesn't get a major promotion and a move. I don't think he'd be able to follow the rules at all.

He's forgiven (to some degree) because we understand where he's coming from. When a con artist comes to the village, Hamish sees trouble coming from miles away. The villagers themselves are not so quick on the uptake.

With some chancey moves mixed with actual sound policework,
Kelsey Hanson
This one was surprisingly gritty for a Hamish Macbeth mystery. I did enjoy this one, but at the same time I found it a bit more difficult to believe than some of the others in the series. Some of the previously established characters do some pretty surprising things. Also, Priscilla can really get on my nerves some times and this book had a quite a few of those instances.
Badseedgirl
May 28, 2015 Badseedgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read-in
What!? (view spoiler) Oh yeah, and Hamish solves another murder, but he learns some very troubling things about the women of Lochdubh in the process.
Shannon
This seems a bit heavy handed. Perhaps I've read too much of Hamish these days, but the plotting begins to feel overly contrived after too many coincidences. It feels too pat.
Dawn Frazier
Apr 27, 2015 Dawn Frazier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. First I've read in the series, I will definitely read more.
Sue
Hamish Macbeth is an endearing character and I keep listening to this series because the mysteries are usually engaging and the characters in the village are fun to keep tabs on as they live their quiet lives. But something bad is often happening in their village, like this time when a couple who fancies themselves as modern Gypsies parks their bus in the village. The travelling man begins to worm his way into the villagers' lives, with disastrous consequences. And Hamish's private life takes a ...more
Dail Sams
Feb 02, 2017 Dail Sams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a couple of "travellers" roll into town in an old bus, Hamish's intuition tells him that trouble has arrived, though he seems to be the only one who thinks so. The whole town seems to embrace the newcomers, even after a series of accidents and petty thefts begins happening around town. When one of the travellers leaves town and the other one is found murdered, Hamish can't rest until he knows everything.
Margaret Rosen
Good for a nice quick read, but I definitely should have started with the first book instead of #9.
Ruth
Mar 13, 2017 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
There's something awfully special about a murder mystery with the murder only a minor part of the mystery. Thanks, Hamish, you make me happy without fail.
Marion Granigan
Nov 22, 2016 Marion Granigan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy, mystery, mind-candy
M.C. Beaton is always a treat. This is a comforting cozy that runs on familiar lines to a satisfying conclusion. Brew up a pot of tea and settle in for a couple of hours with this one!
Lynne
Jan 15, 2017 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More absolute froth and nonsense. Macbeth feels threatened by the presence of the mysteriously handsome traveller, Sean Gurlay, who, in typical Beaton fashion, is soon discovered dead. Nothing new at all in this; Priscilla remains stupidly pristine and perfect, the ladies of Lochdubh dafter than the sheep in Hamish's garden, and more stereotypes than can possibly be imagined. Even those these books are little short of candy floss, they are, nevertheless entertaining and a pleasant diversion on a ...more
Sandra
Mar 11, 2017 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Nothing mind blowing-just plain fun!!!
Valerie Penny
Feb 05, 2014 Valerie Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marion Chesney herself is probably even more interesting than this book! She is known primarily for the more than 100 historical romance novels she has published under her own name and under several pseudonyms: Helen Crampton, Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, and Charlotte Ward. However, this book she wrote as M.C. Beaton which is the pseudonym she reserves for her crime fiction and mystery novels.

The author was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1936 and started her first job as a bookseller in charge
Jane Garoutte
Dec 25, 2016 Jane Garoutte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have read this book before, but clearly did not recognize the story line or most of the characters.
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
An Odd1
Sergeant Hamish Macbeth distrusts jobless Sean Gourlay - too handsome - and his effect on Lochdubh village. Sean "odd green eyes" p 75 and girlfriend, foul-mouthed Cheryl, pretend to be persecuted gypsy travellers, but Dr Brodie misses heroin tablets, his wife Angela gets "nervy", the Ladies' Club misses £100 in bills, spinsters Nessie and Jessie Currie put their cottage up for sale. Reverend Wellington loses his faith, preaches brimstone sermons from last century, his tweedy wife dwindles to "a ...more
Jerry
Aug 20, 2013 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Travelling Man” is one of the earlier (#9) entries in Beaton’s lighthearted set of now nearly 30 novels about constable Hamish Macbeth set in his Highlands Scottish village of Lochdubh. In this relatively short tale, some 150 pages long, Macbeth has been promoted to Sergeant, almost to his dismay, as now he must endure a somewhat hapless helper cop, named Willie Lamont, living at the police station with him. The plot unfolds as two modern-day gypsies, Cheryl and Sean, set up camp in a converted ...more
Susan Ferguson
Hsmish MacBeth is not pleased when he discovers a "traveller" with his mobile home parked in the village. For some reason, this man really disturbs him. He feels Sean is bad news and will cause serious problems in the district. And this presentiment seems to be coming true as Sean persuades the rector and his wife to let him park behind their house. Then some of the women in the village begin to act strangely = not at all their normal selves. The women include Mrs Wellington (the rector's wife), ...more
Amy
Jan 03, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Ah Hamish-- always being accused of doing nothing but always solving the murder-- and in this one, he might actually get the girl!

From the Publisher

Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth's new promotion means more money, but it also means that an eager beaver of a policeman, P.C. Willie Lamont, has been thrust upon him, interfering with Hamish's easygoing way of life. On a walk escaping his new sidekick's bloodhound efficiency, Hamish sees a battered camper parked next to the Lochdubh Hotel. The man Ha
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead (Mrs. Jeffries, #28)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)