Start by marking “Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1

Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1 (The Rocketeer)

Dave Stevens' The Rocketeer was an instant hit the moment it hit the spinner rack in the earl 1980s. Stevens' lush and distinctive artwork and fun, action-driven story was inspired by the adventure pulp novels of the era The Rocketeer was set in. Stevens produced only two Rocketeer graphic novels - collected to much acclaim by IDW - and his life was tragically cut short ...more
Published December 27th 2011 by IDW Publishing (first published November 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1

Michael Hawkes
Jul 22, 2011 Michael Hawkes rated it really liked it
My introduction to The Rocketeer came with the 1991 film. I had heard the film was based on a comic book, but I hadn't read any of the comics. The movie was great, but the franchise sadly never took off. Recently, I had the chance to read Rocketeer Adventures, Volume 1 which is a new series based on Dave Stevens' original character, and due to be released in November 2011 by IDW Publishing.

For those familiar with the movie or the original comic book series, this book will will seem very familia
BigJohn
Mar 06, 2013 BigJohn rated it liked it
Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1 continues the adventures of Cliff Secord as The Rocketeer. These stories are written and illustrated by a different team than the original stories - and each story has its own team, so the style and quality varies between each.

The stories themselves are a little stale; I'm not sure how many different ways you can have Betty get kidnapped and then rescued by Cliff, but that seems to be the prevailing plot device used by all of the writers.

There is a refreshing text-
Zachary King
Dec 01, 2016 Zachary King rated it really liked it
Like all anthologies, a mixed bag. Darwyn Cooke contributes a great story about Betty donning the helmet.
Keegan Fink
I'm a huge fan of Dave Stevens, particularly his work with The Rocketeer. I watched the film so many times on VHS that I wore out the tape. I immediately sprung for the Deluxe slipcase collection of Dave's original Rocketeer work when it came out a few years ago. With that said, I was a little disappointed by IDW's foray into the Rocketeer canon. I don't often write reviews, but I felt compelled to only recommend this title with some clear reservation. Overall, the stories are incredibly short. ...more
Mike
Sep 09, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Nice vignettes in the Rocketeer tradition! Really like this book and looking forward to the sequel!

But let me express something I DON'T like:
I don't like the fact that MY LIBRARY SYSTEM DOES NOT CARRY THE ORIGINAL!!! THIS: The Rocketeer The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition) by Dave StevensThe Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures
WAKE UP, LIBRARY! THIS STUFF IS SO GOOD THAT YOU WILL FEEL AN DEEP PAINFUL ACHING VOID IN YOUR LIBRARY-SOUL WHEN YOU FIND YOU COULD HAVE HAD IT BUT DON'T.
Phil
Aug 26, 2012 Phil rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
This anthology series resurrects the Rocketeer, a great character that had been largely out of action since creator Dave Stevens's fatal bout with cancer.

The talent tapped for this miniseries make a valiant effort to deliver adventure yarns in the spirit of the original. While the final product is well worth a read, living up to the creator's original work proves an impossible task. There's some great storytelling on display--particularly with one story hinting about the Rocketeer's Pacific War
Paul
Jan 12, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
I had originally bought the single issues, but gave them away and bought the Hardcover for myself.
A bunch of short stories by some of today's top talents.
Most of the stories in this book are pretty nice and seem to fit better within the general Rocketeer universe than those of the 2nd volume.
So far, we've yet to see any story or art that compares to Dave Stevens' originals.
Gianfranco Mancini
Una splendida riunione di alcuni tra i migliori autori ed artisti del fumetto mondiale, rende omaggio al personaggio di Dave Stevens con una divertente antologia. Bello il racconto di Lansdale, e la copertina di Alex Ross e l'art gallery alla fine non sfigurerebbero in una galleria d'arte. Molto bello.
Peter
A compilation of short Rocketeer stories written post-creator-death. As with most such compilations, some are better than others, and it doesn't really follow a specific line or direction. But I enjoyed it, and seeing the characters continue to enable storytelling is always a great plus. If you can find a copy lying around, it's worth a read. Worth a few bucks if you find a good price.
Richard
Mar 12, 2015 Richard rated it liked it
While many of the stories are simplistic one shots with very similar plots, it's a fun book that feels authentic to the time period and character it's portraying. The good guy always wins, the bad guys are rarely credible threats, and his girl is the cause of a great deal of irrational jealousy.

If anything, I wish the stories could have been more substantial, but again, it's a fun collection.
Brad Jost
Aug 27, 2014 Brad Jost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
While most of the stories in this are quite short and non threatening to the Rocketeer, I fully enjoyed them all. I actually enjoy the shortness of each story. Compact, sometimes meaningful, sometimes not... It doesn't matter. I will buy anything Rocketeer. This is one of my favorite little graphic novel.
Travis
Nov 23, 2012 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
A great character in a lot of bland stories.

Nothing new here, just a bunch of writers happy to play with a famous character that all seem to just crank out variation on the same idea.

Nice to see all the different artists drawing the Rocketeer, shame the stories aren't as impressive.
Jamie
Dec 13, 2011 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
A well-produced book with lots of wonderful art, but the stories mostly left me flat. Maybe it's not a character that works well without some room to breathe, maybe it's just this property only belongs to Dave Stevens. Beautiful work done by well-meaning people, just not for me.
Grg
Oct 10, 2012 Grg rated it it was ok
Some really beautiful art, but not one memorable story. They were all very repetitive using the same Betty in Hollywood/Cliff gets jealous storyline like twelve times. I know they're doing more Rocketeer books, I hope they're better than this. I do love the characters in the original.
Matthew
May 15, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
Originally published as a limited series, this volume collects several gorgeously illustrated but thinly written short tales & anecdotes of The Rocketeer. I love the original series & for fans of it this is a fun ride. I don't know how much new readers will get out of it, though.
Derek Parker
Jul 28, 2013 Derek Parker rated it liked it
The short vignettes, versions of Stevens's original vision, are fine. This collection of small adventures, though, whets my appetite for longer, more sustained storylines (which come later).
David
Apr 29, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Top industry creators take a hand at Rocketeer shorts. While a very impressive collection of talent, it doesn't really add anything to what Stevens had already done with the character.
Chris Walker
Jun 11, 2012 Chris Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
Just as Dave Stevens' original Rocketeer delivered pitch-perfect pulp hero action, the best in the business collaborated to deliver more of the same 1940s derring-do. Can't wait for volume two.
Ian
Jan 17, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
The anthology format is long enough to get an enjoyable dollop of action, and short enough before you start questioning what the hell's going on.
Rob Summers
Jun 17, 2016 Rob Summers rated it liked it
I dismissed this cause Im a huge fan of original but I actually really enjoyed this. Some great art and quick stories that lovingly try to recreate Dave's original masterpiece tone and vibe.
Doyle
Doyle rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Bonnie McDonald
Bonnie McDonald rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Sierra
Sierra rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Jeremy Sovereign
Jeremy Sovereign rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Jack Stubblefield
Jack Stubblefield rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Stefan
Stefan rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2011
William Jackson
William Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Ed McKeogh
Ed McKeogh rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Alan Moore's America's Best Comics
  • Superman & Batman: Generations 2, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Black Beetle, Vol. 1: No Way Out
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Spirit, Vol. 1
  • Batman Versus Bane
  • The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Vol. 1 (Batman DK2 #1)
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 2
Michael 'Doc' Allred (Also Credited as M. Dalton Allred) grew up in the 60's and 70's and was surrounded with the best in pop culture and a steady diet of music, movies and comic books including the three B's: Beatles, Bond and Batman to the point of obsession.

So it should come as no surprise that he keeps a hand in film and music (He's the lead singer and guitarist for The Gear), but comic books
More about Mike Allred...

The Rocketeer (9 books)
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • The Rocketeer: All 5 Action Chapters!
  • Rocketeer: Cliff's New York Adventure