Start by marking “Warned” as Want to Read:
Warned
Open Preview read ebook

Warned

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  27 reviews
It is 2041. Mankind has pushed his planet from rapid climate change to the brink of nuclear holocaust. In the midst of the chaos, brilliant young scientists Jon Castel and Levi Clarke discover new data that suggests the situation is far more dire than anyone could have predicted. Soon after, the President forms a task force bent on taking drastic action against the impendi ...more
Published 2011 by Admonish Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warned

Robert Krone
Note: I received a copy of this title from the author in exchange for a review.

I very much enjoyed this title. Hadn't read science fiction in a while since I really got into horror, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read this one. I am glad that I took a chance on this one.

This is about the only science fiction novel I have read that is not about a violent conflict, at least not in the sense where you are reading about the main characters being involved. There is war involved, but it hap
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this book from Goodreads first read giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Warned is primarily a philosophical essay intertwined with an end of the world adventure. The protagonist, Jon, is invited to help determine the best way to save part of humankind hopefully by finding another suitable planet to live on.

This book is extremely thought provoking. Usually, I can read a book in one or two sittings, but I found myself reading a few chapters and pondering on what I read. Kuhlman bring
Richard
In full disclosure I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to Dustin Kuhlman for both sending at signing me a copy of your book.

Synopsis: The story begins in 2045 with Jon landing on Mars with a two other members of his crew. Due to a miscalculation they land too far from the zone they were trying to land, and the only craft nearby is only able to take two of them back to their spaceship. Jon sends his crew back, leaving himself stranded with no hope of rescue before his air runs out.
Courtney Lake
Note: I recieved a copy of this book from the Author in exchange for a review.

This book lies somewhere between Lost in Space, Left Behind and Dune in terms of the emotions and situations it portrays. The main characters find themselves faced with the sudden and unavoidable failure of Earths ecosystem. There is no longer a question of fixing it, the question is now: How will we survive. And so our brilliant heros set about forming contingency plans, building systems that would allow us to coloniz
Heath Alberts
This book was provided to me, gratis, by the author, in exchange for one of my titles, and a review - for good or ill. He's getting a large dose of the prior, in this case.

The work itself:
It reminded me a great deal of Heinlein's 'Stranger In A Strange Land' in pacing, tone, and story thread. I don't know why, but I felt like I was reading a rough draft of something that Heinlein could very well have written himself. And if that sounds like it isn't praise, then read it again. Because it is.

The
Jarrett Zongora
The author, Dustin Kuhlman, was nice enough to not only send me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review, but to sign it as well. Many thanks, sir.

As a caveat to this review, I don't prescribe to the theory of global warming. However, I found the views of the character of Dr. Jon Castel on how the world go out of hand to be very much correct. I think that there is a lot to be taken away from the book during that part. Society, especially our country, would do well to take heed to his
Jill
I really liked this book!

I am a middle/high school science teacher - I'm curious if others think this is appropriate for 8th grade earth/space science curriculum? I am leaning to yes. Thoughts?
John
A unique and well written story.

The Good: Kuhlman does an excellent job of creating a unique story with well written descriptions/prose that I would compare to similar styles during the golden age of sci-fi. A good balance of fatal realism is mixed with the hope and promise of an unwritten future.

The Criticism: The story suffers from slow pacing in a few areas and the overt preaching agenda, even though I do agree. The author tackles a complicated topic and I would have liked to see a more sub
Jenna
This book was so-so for me. It takes place pre and mid an environmental disaster on earth and chronicles the story of Jon (a scientist) from his initial discovery of the impending disaster through the following years leading up to and during the disaster. For a apocalyptic-type book, it was surprisingly slow....not the action/adventure book that I was expecting at the beginning. Instead, this book focuses more on the environmental factors surrounding disaster and philosophical conversations betw ...more
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
(i received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review...and boy am i glad i came across this GEM!)

(this review is a long time coming, but i've thought about this book often since i finished it 2 months ago)

the prose....oh the prose....beautiful and brilliant!!!! i am IN LOVE

this book was truly amazing. i was SHOCKED to learn that this was a self-published book. i'm a real stickler for grammar, and it is such a rare thing (sadly) to have a book that is well written, pub
Chris
Scientists have found that our worlds climate will change drastically, not in decades but in years, possibly months. This change could render the Earth uninhabitable as we know it. A bold plan is put forth to colonize space and also provide a way to survive the approaching disaster on Earth. But even as this plan is followed man still has a surprise awaiting them in space.....

I started reading this book today and did not stop until I finished it. Without being able to explain why I found it very
Kaila
Wow.. so this isn't my normal genre but I wanted to try it. The author sent me a signed copy of his book in exchange for my review. This book made me think.. a lot. It took me longer to read due to that. I really enjoyed it... the plot was very good and kept me hooked to find out what was next. The characters were enjoyable and I am very glad I found this author. He will be on my tbr list for any other books that he writes. :) Very glad I found this one.
Morgon

I'm going to be honest and freely admit to not giving this book my full attention while reading it. I read it in 3 - 5 page increments, normally while waiting on something else. With that said, I gave it 4 stars because "Warned" would still have the ability to make my mind think over and try to answer what most would consider to be the most powerful questions all of up and coming society should be thinking about. One of the few books I look forward to rereading, only this time it will receive 1
Linda
What would you do if you learned the earth was dying due to man's misuse, that co2 spun global warming, and you only had five years before water would cover the entire earth!? In 2041, mankind pushed the earth to a rapid climate decline and it will take the entire newly formed DHS to figure out how to save millions of the nine BILLION souls that inhabit the earth!

Dustin Kuhlman spins a highly believable "what if" story that will definitely keep some people up nights and unless something is done.
Lisa
This is a fantastic book!!! It's scifi only in that it does partially take place in space. It's not about that, it's about the journey to get there. Two scientists discover that global warming is irreversible and that human life is on the brink of extinction. That is unless the powers that be can find a way to live & thrive in space. This is the story of the discovery and what happens afterwards. It's a cautionary tale in some respects but so good that I was ok with that. I did stop to think ...more
Becky
I really enjoyed this book. The concept was easy to comprehend and had the air of reality around it, in the same way that Gene Roddenberry did. This was not some disaster that was hard to imagine, nor the solutions completely out of the realm of possibility. The characters were well written, and the time line easy to follow. This is a book I will pass on to my husband, and others. I will admit I wasn’t expecting aliens, but it did not make the story unbelievable, and in fact it added nicely to i ...more
Paul
This book is extremely thought provoking. It took me longer to read due to that. I really enjoyed it... the plot was very good and kept me hooked to find out what was next. The characters were enjoyable and I am very glad I found this author. He will be on my "To Be Read" list for any other books that he writes. :)
John
I suppose I can appreciate anyone who sits down and finishes a book. In this case, I can even admire the sentiment, but the writing was disturbingly lacking. The moment when the super-intelligent, highly-evolved being bemoans the demise of kissing, I wanted to call it quits. I didn't hate the book, and there were moments when I thought the storyline was clever, but I would have preferred a more adult treatment, a more developed plot. And perhaps a big word or two.

Linda
This is not my usual genre but I found myself I forgetting I was in the future and on the moon and listening to the message that is so timely and important. It reminds me of Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson. Her efforts to get the government's attention on the mistreatment of the American Indian fell on deaf ears until her novel became popular. Good work Justin! What's next?
Lisa Voisen
Great fast moving science fiction thriller set in the near future. The scenario the author depicts could really happen. I loved philosophy at the end and the dialogue with the alien on Mars. It was unexpected but very powerful to me as a reader and to the story. Highly recommend this book to everyone. One of my current favorites of all my books.
Jason
Fringe, thought provoking and very plausible.

While I have promised a review; This is still forthcoming. I plan on writing a more indepth review. But for now, I shall say that I very much enjoyed reading this book. So much so, that I paid for a copy for my kindle, even though the author gave me a signed copy.
Carolyn Injoy
I've gotten a good start to this disturbing book. It has potential to be a forecast rather than science fiction. Perhaps we should take heed. Eager to read more. Dustin Kuhlman has a unique voice & I like it.
Jeff
I enjoyed this book. It was a relatively quick read. Though I'm not a fan of science fiction per se, I used to watch Star Trek as a youngster.
Annika Paterson
I honestly did find this book a little slow, but it was worth the read. It is thought provoking and a scenario that could really happen.
Bobbi
Really a political discussion with some environmental philosophy.
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read
I'm always up for reading about the future.
Teddy Afeni
great book indeed
Squire
Squire added it
Dec 10, 2014
Juliet Aharoni
Juliet Aharoni marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Downside Girls
  • Exit Reality: A Ray Garret/Lifeline Techno Thriller
  • Long Lost Song
  • The Gyre Mission: Journey to the *sshole of the World
  • Time Pullers
  • Devoured (Cold Grove, #1)
  • Keres' Eyes
  • On Fallen Wings (Stone Portals, #1)
  • Multiplayer
  • Armageddon Yellowstone: Hell Unleashed
  • A Short History of the World
  • Haunting Thelma Thimblewhistle (The Chronicles of Dead Anna, #1)
  • Death Comes Uninvited
  • Crime Net
  • The Shattered Door
  • Fatal Compulsions
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Sedition (Sedition, #1)
Dustin Kuhlman was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska and studied at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Growing up he loved to draw and always thought drawing and producing art would be his creative outlet. Around his 24th birthday, through unusual circumstances, he found his calling to write while living in Las Vegas. He currently lives and writes in Colorado Springs at the foot of Pikes Peak. ...more
More about Dustin Kuhlman...