Start by marking “The Darkness of Perfection” as Want to Read:
The Darkness of Perfection

The Darkness of Perfection

5 STARS
"a perfect read for people looking for a fresh book.”
Gothical’s Book Reviews

5 STARS
"a highly emotional read.”
Tevya, Reading Lark

5 STARS
“Loving the enemy has never felt as right as it does in Michael Schneider’s sophomore novel”
Andrea, Book, Baking, and Other Objects of Beauty

He desired perfection. She already was perfect. Can two people build a love forged in th
Published by The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House (first published June 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkness of Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkness of Perfection

Jeanne
IMPORTANT: If you identify with Jayden and in a relationship like the one depicted in this book, please know that there is a way out. I urge you to reach out for help and call or email the Abuse Help resources below.

In the US call:
National Domestic Abuse Hotline
1800799SAFE(7233) or TTY 18007873224, (PST) by videophone (855-812-1001), instant messenger (DeafHotline) or email (deafhelp@thehotline.org).

Outside the US call:
Stopfamilyviolence.org
1- 866-USWOMEN email: crisis@866uswomen.org

~~~~
Sandra
It is appalling to think that the horrific fanfiction called The Perfect Wife was made into a published novel. The notion that a young woman could possibly fall in love with the man that abused her, beat her and basically bought her to train her into his version of a perfect wife is ludicrous.

No, I didn't read this book. I don't need to nor do I want to. Save yourself the comments on this review that point this out.
Chandra
Aug 17, 2011 Chandra rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chandra by: cp7190@aol.com
Author Michael Schneider deserves a 100% STANDING OVATION. I would beg "her" to write a sequel. SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL !!!!

This story had me on the edge the entire read.

He was a teen when the six (6) year old girl was brought to his home to live. Nicholas secretly protected Jayden when his father cruelly punished her. She had been sold to his father, a powerful and influential man who earned most of his riches from white slavery. He had promised Jayden to his son Nicholas when she grew up.

Knowin
Mell
Dec 22, 2013 Mell rated it did not like it
The "hero" of this novel is truly awful and unforgivable.
Katie(babs)
Jan 05, 2014 Katie(babs) rated it did not like it
Published as a Twilight fan fiction The Perfect Wife. P2P fan fiction is a no-no.
Tevya
Sep 01, 2011 Tevya rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued by the blurb for The Darnkess of Perfection. It is the story of a young girl, Jayden, who was born into a life of slavery only to be kidnapped away by her mother when she was a child. She has blocked the memories of her childhood, and grown up in a loving, supportive family with her mom, step-dad, and step-brother. Unbeknownst to Jayden, Nicky, the boy whom she was given to as a child, has never stopped looking for her. When the grown-up Nicholas finally finds and reclaims his ...more
DiAnn
Jan 03, 2012 DiAnn rated it really liked it
I loved this story - it was intense and the character development was excellent. My heart went out to Jayden, but at the same time was sad about the family life that Nicholas experienced. Had no idea how this story would end, but author Michael Schneider wrote such an emotional ending that I was in tears at her apt conclusion. So happy to hear that Michael will be writing a sequel because this story needs to continue. Definitely recommend!
Maimu
Jun 16, 2012 Maimu rated it did not like it
Shelves: trainwrecks
Stepford wives on bad crack.
Alexia561
Nov 19, 2011 Alexia561 rated it really liked it
This story was oddly compelling, in that it was all too easy to believe that Nicholas could view his life as normal and see nothing wrong with kidnapping Jayden and forcing her to marry him. After all, his family are human traffickers! Given to him as a child, he firmly believes that Jayden belongs to him and has no choice in the matter. He has built her up in his mind as the perfect mate, and is determined that they will have the perfect life together.

Rescued from a horrible future by her moth
Blueluna5
May 14, 2014 Blueluna5 rated it it was amazing
I read all the time but rarely write reviews. I absolutely LOVE this book! I've read dark erotica books before, some good, some bad. These were the best book characters for dark erotica that I've read. Everything was so realistic including the characters (flaws included). Nicholas grew up in a family where they sold women as sex slaves. Because of this his thought process went back and forth between his own upbringing and his conscience. He was not a character that changed over night. You could ...more
Ava
Dec 10, 2015 Ava rated it it was ok
Quite...complicated.

What happened was confusing, I tried to get my mind around it.

2 stars. Literally, it quite sucked.
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Mar 03, 2015 Andrea (mrsaubergine) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-edits
Loving the enemy has never felt as right as it does in Michael Schneider’s sophomore novel, The Darkness of Perfection, a gripping tale of one young woman’s struggle against a powerful criminal family who see her as nothing more than one of their chattels.

Jayden White has lived her life in fear – of the man who “bought” her from her father and of the possibility that one day he will find her again – but just when she thinks her future looks bright, she is violently drawn back into that world by
Sylvia Ryan
Jan 16, 2012 Sylvia Ryan rated it liked it
I'm torn on the star rating for this one. 3.5 stars would have been my choice if I could do it, and I would have chosen 4 stars if the ending was different. I honestly thought that my e-book didn't download the whole file, and I was missing the ending. When I realized THAT was the ending, it was a big let down. I'm not a big fan of having to wait for another book to find out the rest of the story about a romance I just spent hours reading about. I think concluding the story about this ...more
MaryReadsRomance
This is different and very dark "romance" book with some horrific scenes , an anti "hero" and "heroine", and an unsatisfying ending. Thus I have categorized it as horror. Be forewarned not for the faint of heart.

The main theme and intention of the author is anti-sexual slavery / human trafficking as well as anti general suppression and molding of women for their use in a society of men.

Another Twilight Fan Fiction that I read and was frankly shocked by - and not 50 Shades shocked! As with 50 Sh
Monique
Aug 08, 2011 Monique rated it it was ok
I'm yet another reader who expected a completely different genre. Nothing in the blurb for this book led me to expect a contemporary story of slave trafficking. Once I got past my shock at the genre, I found the book to be an excellent, though brief, study of how this system is perpetuated by the people trapped in it. My biggest complaint was the handling of the romance portion of the story. We're told, more than shown, of the "hero's" change of heart. The ending also felt a bit dropped, as if ...more
~Tina~
May 22, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it it was ok
I read this a long time ago on fanfic when it was called "The Perfect Wife" this would have to be thee hardest and sickest books that I've ever read and I'm shocked and a little appalled that it was published. But I have to admit that once I started this fic I couldn't stop reading. It's like a train wreck or a natural disaster. I couldn't look away.
I can't say that I enjoyed this book, but years later, I still remember it.

Judith Grey
Apr 11, 2014 Judith Grey rated it it was amazing
As soon as I stated reading this book I knew I will like it.... I made the mistake of reading a bad review and almost lost interest in it..... not knowing how wrong that bad review was.... this story is sad at some point when it describes the bad experience she had as a child, and him having to participate in them... but just like I though.... it was love at first baby sight, and Nicky prove himself that he wasn't a Dark man..
Martha
Sep 16, 2011 Martha rated it it was amazing
Once I got started, I couldn't put this book down...no really I mean that. Nicolas was just as damaged as Jayden: he because of his family's lifestyle and she because of the life she would be forced to live. This book kept me riveted right up to the end at which point I completely lost it. Michael Schneider had me seeing the events as Jayden and Nicolas described them as well as the locations. This book was definitely worth the price and the time I devoted to reading it.
Julz
May 17, 2015 Julz rated it liked it
mixed feelings with this one. I liked it but I didn't like the way the hero went about things. The story had me gripped. I do feel cheated about how it ended!!. I wanted to see if they got their HEA! expecially with what happened right at the end.
Linsey
Jan 05, 2014 Linsey marked it as rewritten-fanfic
I've not read this book but I did read the twilight fan fiction. Readers should be aware that if this is still so heavily based on the FF work, this is an extremely graphic story involving incest, rape, abuse (both verbal and physical) and torture.

Divany
Feb 19, 2013 Divany rated it liked it
What the hell. That's not a freaking ending. I loved the story but it could've been so much better... My expectations were too high.
Julz
Sep 28, 2012 Julz rated it liked it

Read this a while back. Might be kinda sorta slow for a book about a guy who kidnaps someone in order to shape them as their wife. I liked it though.
Jen
Apr 09, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
This was a compelling story. You must understand that human trafficking is real. Abused women exist. Abused women are not cowards, they are strong in their own right. Abusers are a product of their upbringing. If you cannot understand these things, this is not a story you should read.

When reading the reviews, I can understand why there are mixed feelings. It's tough to identify with an abused/kept woman when you haven't been one. What people don't understand is that it takes an incredible amoun
Maggie Simms

This book is hard to review. It is well written, it flows beautifully, and it keeps you engaged at all turns. I had my toes curled for most of it, worried for Jayden.

To review Nick, I need to compartmentalize him. For most of the book, he was a villain, and Oh, what a villain he was. He was manipulative, cruel, and cold. He was a first class bastard to everyone, including his own mother. That last part alone made him almost unredeemable in my eyes. I don't know that he loved Jayden, as much as
Melissa
Apr 20, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: dark
Let me start by saying, I was completely torn when trying to rate and review this novel. It was an extremely dark novel. I won't say it was graphic, because the author doesn't go over the top when describing the "dark situations", but they definitely leave enough room for the imagination to run wild.
This story is not for the faint of heart.
The story starts off promising, switches point of view, and then jumps through time a couple of times. That was all done really well, and I liked each point
Tammy Ramey
Jul 15, 2011 Tammy Ramey rated it liked it
the characters we intense and intriguing, i had no problem being swept along with them in the events and feeling all of the emotions that the heroine felt as she was forced to deal with an intolerable situation. the hero was harder for me to see as a hero because although he also was raised in this system he knew what he was doing was wrong,i couldn't help but feel that it was to little to late to try and make amends to the heroine by the time the hero decided to try. at that point i was to much ...more
Beverly
Books like this remind me how completely off GR's' ratings and reviews can be. This book was blah. I'm not sure I've ever said that about a book, but there it is. I DNF'd at 73%...still waiting/hoping for something, anything to actually happen. The other reviews for this book are mind boggling to me. There is nothing dark, abnormally violent/abusive, suspenseful, interesting, disturbing, taboo, romantic or sexual at all. Perhaps the story was edited into oblivion from the original version. Eithe ...more
Amanda
Aug 27, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-challenge
I had this book glued to my hands for about 5 hours. Could not put it down! I questioned everything as I read it and then in the very next page it was explained to me in a way that only a twisted mind (or a visit to one) could clear up. Excellent story and I hope that there is another one to follow up because the end was left wide open. Lovely job!
Brandy Stayton
Feb 22, 2015 Brandy Stayton rated it really liked it
I loved the book. I went into it knowing there was human trafficking in it, so it didn't bother me any. But I hated the ending. I had to check page numbers to make sure that I wasn't missing some pages, it just ended to abruptly and left you hanging.
Carin
Jul 28, 2012 Carin rated it liked it
This was a much easier read than the fanfiction is was based on.

I wanted to read this book because I felt that no one was held accountable in the original fic. This gave me some satisfaction in that some jail time was served.
  • Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3)
  • Black and White
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Gilded Cage
  • Indivisible
  • The Billionaire Bum
  • Bad Behavior (Conduct #2)
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Life, Liberty, and Pursuit
  • Passion Fish
  • Pieces of Us
  • Three Daves
  • A House of Cards: Deconstructing Ethan (The Forbidden Room, #2)