Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why

Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A gorgeously illustrated tribute to birds of all kinds and the fantastic, funny, fascinating things that they do.

Birds have lots of ways of communicating: They sing and talk, dance and drum, cuddle and fight. But what does all of the bird talk mean?
Filled with gorgeous illustrations, this fascinating picture book takes a look at the secret life of birds in a child-friendly...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Flash Point

To ask other readers questions about Bird Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Talk

Lindsay Weideman
Twin Text: Cuckoo! By Fiona Robertson

Rationale: I picked Cuckoo! By Fiona Robertson because of the connection between the bird talk in the nonfiction selection and the bird in this fiction story that is born in the wrong nest and sets off on a journey trying to find someone that will understand him/speak his language. Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why by Lita Judge describes the different kinds of bird communication. The book describes a variety of birds that some students may have never...more
Carol
Written by the granddaughter of ornithologists, this book is a great introduction to how birds communicate with each other. I will make the small disclaimer that I'm a huge bird-nerd though so there aren't many bird books that I don't love.
Jim Erekson
Communication is a nice slice through a wide, wide topic. This was a good choice.I almost think Judge could have focused on one bird and gone for depth?--maybe she'll do a follow-up.

I noticed Judge did an interesting suspense thing early in the book, where she gave a teaser on one spread and then delivered on it at the page turn. But then this disappeared later in the book as it got more cramped with content.

I think I may have a hard time with the informational book review, because the approac...more
Barbara
Filled with large illustrations placed against generous white space, this picture book introduces the aviary world to young readers along with several textual samples of bird sounds. The author explains how those chirps and screeches uttered by birds mean something and are the birds' way of communication with one another. Thus, the "wahr...wahr..wahr" made by a male Blue Bird of Paradise and his upside down hanging from a perch are intended to ward off intruders and entice a mate. As usual, Judg...more
Betsy
The older you get the more facts seem to change. For example, when I was a kid I remember that some facts were as of yet unprovable but were told with a certain ring of truth. Take the dinosaurs as an example. As a kid I "knew" that they had all died out probably because of a big nasty meteor. Talk to a kid today and ask them what killed the dinosaurs and you will receive a very different interpretation. The dinos? Why didn't you know? They all turned into birds! Which is to say, there's a worki...more
Gema Ramirez
Bird Talk, What Birds are Saying and Why by Lita Judge is a great nonfiction book for children, with beautiful illustrations of different bird species. One of the best things about this book is that Judge hits all the topics of how and why exactly birds talk to each other. For instance, selecting a mate to territorial threats, greetings, training their young to be on their own, and all the way to tricking and mimicking other bird calls.

Judge also uses a wide range of scientific terms in this bo...more
Rani
Twenty-nine birds featured in this book communicate their various needs using different sounds. The birds are from all continents and ecosystems. This is a great book for any child who likes to talk, imitate, and for a rainy day indoors. My child likes to have models to draw from. We will be using some drawings from this book. Simple text. A great book for all bird lovers!
Melissa Stewart
Looking for a fun way to teach animal adaptations? This book is perfect. It describes how a wide variety of birds use their voices and body language to attract mates, stay in touch with their young, avoid enemies, and more. BIRD TALK belongs in every elementary classroom and on the bookshelves of bird lovers young and old.
Amy
Written and illustrated by the grand-daughter of ornithologists, this book nicely covers a variety of birds and their modes of communication, from dances to songs to those birds that learn to mimic the sounds around them.
Scope
You have your nonfiction that clearly covers the basics – here’s an animal, here’s where it lives, here’s what it eats – and then you have books like Bird Talk, where every page brings something unexpected. Richly illustrated and keenly researched, Lita Judge’s ode to ornithological communication makes a nice counterpoint to the more workmanlike nonfiction staples.

Tweet, chirp, caw, strut – when it comes to the purposes and sophistication of bird communication, there’s much more than meets the e...more
Tasha
Incredible displays of feathers, bright-colors and complex songs are all ways that birds communicate and try to find a mate. Some birds puff and strut, others have large wattles, and still others drum on a branch with a stick. Once birds have found that mate, they communicate their pairing to others using dances, clattering bills, or by providing food for one another. When eggs and baby birds arrive, the parents use flashing wing colors, trickery or pretending to be wounded to lead predators awa...more
Emma
Birds are saying things like, “pick me!,” “I’m the strongest,” “let’s dance!,” and “look out! We’re under attack!” This lovely picture book explains the humorous and fascinating way that birds communicate. The book’s format groups birds who communicate the same things together. For instance, on one spread, an illustration of a colony of penguins appears with the exclamation, “over here!” Text then explains that, “parents and chicks learn the sound of each other’s voices.” On the next spread, rea...more
Angela
Audience: This book is primarily for grades 1-3. This book is a little more advanced and students might need help with meanings of words. This book will interest students to hear about the different types of birds that they see daily.

Appeal: This book is appealing because the title makes the assumption that birds talk. Students will find this quite interesting and unreal. The title alone will I believe intrigue students to want to read the book even if they have no interest in birds.

Application...more
Kim
I thoroughly enjoyed this nonfiction picture book. The illustrations are beautiful and I really liked the information that was given, and the way the author broke it down.
Rebecca Plaza
Lovely illustration, well-worded examples of what birds want to communicate. I would love to share it with, 2nd and 3rd graders,and their inquisitive minds.
Debbie Graham
once again a book that screams for an ebook edition...The drawings are absolutely beautiful...how much more effective the book could be though, with actual links to the sounds and/or images of the birds themselves. Not that the drawings are not WONDERFUL...so they would deserve a 5 star. Perhaps a little humorous page to help move from each stage of life to the other might help (transitioning from mating/egg/parenting etc). Definitely great book for any child interested in birds but without bell...more
Cemeread
This non-fiction book explains what all the bird chatter is about using specific birds as examples. At least three examples are given for each type of bird chatter from attracting a mate, marking territory, communicating with mates or young and protection from predators. With only a few sentences per bird and enough commonly found in our area even younger children will be interested (The birds are from all continents.).

End pages include a Birds in this book section listing an illustration, name,...more
Janet Frost
This was a lovely book about the various ways birds communicate. The illustrations were fun and beautiful. They invited the reader to linger and explore. There was obvious research and detailed facts that went into this book, but it presented them in a light and entertaining style. The author skillfully captures the attention of both the child and adult reader in this delightful book. So much so, that I plan to give it as a Holiday gift for a couple of my adult "bird" friends. I mean humans who...more
Debrarian
An assortment of factoids about how and why various birds communicate. Weird editing means the illustrations and text don't always jibe; for example, the actions of two peregrine falcons on one page (one holding something in its claws, the other lunging out at us) are inexplicable until you read the text on the following page (about the mother holding prey to lure her young to fly) that the pictures were clearly meant to illustrate. But the illustrations are lovely, realistic and depict the bird...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Yes, there have been many books about birds for children (there are at least three in this batch of Cybils nominees) but this book is the definitive children's book for one aspect of birds: bird talk. Lita Judge shares all the quirky little-known information she could find with us, her readers, about where and when and how and why birds communicate. Add to the fascinating information big bold drawings of birds and you have a book that children will linger over. Wonderful book.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Gorgeous illustrations highlight this nonfiction book about birds. The narrative is informative, but not overwhelming with details. I love how pages alternate with longer and shorter narrative, so children can appreciate the pictures, not just the words. Overall, we really enjoyed reading this book together and our girls really enjoyed the section in the back with expanded information about each bird. I also liked the author's note at the end, too.
Ms.Patterson
Very simple nonfiction book about bird communication. Great illustrations. For later 1st grade or 2nd graders. Head's up for read aloud: it does refer to a bird that uses its poop as missiles to defend itself, and talks about the blue footed boobies. Neither is a reason not to read it, I just like to be prepared for those moments with a class of 7-year-olds.
Alicia
Loved the illustrations. Some of the facts were really neat, but the text is a bit choppy. Still - this could be a good nonfiction title for a k-3 classroom read as long as there was time to talk about each page as it was read. It could also be a good jumping off point for a homeschooling unit on birds or animal communication.
In this nonfiction selection about birds, Judge describes the varied ways that birds communicate. With soft but accurate watercolors, each bird's communication style is described in kid-friendly language.

Recommended for students in grades 2 - 4. A lovely nonfiction addition to any library serving children.
Michele
Beautiful artwork captures the comical and fascinating world of bird communication. My personal favorites are the dance of the Blue Footed Boobie and the Wood Duck. Who knew that the mother duck must convince her newborns to hurl themselves (not fly, mind you) out of a tree? Now that's persuasive quacking.
Bridget R. Wilson
Gorgeous illustations and interesting facts about birds presented in a way that's sure to be appealing to kids. The "Birds in this Book" section identify the birds and offer more facts to readers. I'm thinking I need to plan a bird program for the spring and use this title along with National Geographic Angry Birds.
Tracy
Lita Judge also wrote The Red Sled, but this book is entirely different. It is about the way birds communicate. There is a nice end page that identifies the birds illustrated in the book. This is a good introduction to some very basic bird behavior.
Karen Arendt
This book tells about a variety of birds and what their sounds mean. Covers how birds protect eggs, attract mates, avoid predators, and more. Includes list of birds and their habitats at the back of the book, glossary, and references. Colorful illustrations.
Martha
Bird Talk is full of interesting, unusual facts. I even learned about the Blue Footed Booby dance. The gorgeous water color illustrations and mini description of each bird mentioned in the back of the book allows for light research as well.
Sharon Lawler
Entertaining collection of birds and examples of what their distinctive chirps and behaviors mean. Along with the drawings, the pages in the back provide the physical characteristics and habitat, a glossary, and references.
  • North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • Curious Critters
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Those Rebels, John and Tom
  • Nic Bishop Snakes
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Hands Around the Library: Protecting Egypt�s Treasured Books
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
Red Sled Flight School Red Hat One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II How Big Were Dinosaurs?