Start by marking “White Rabbit's Color Book” as Want to Read:
White Rabbit's Color Book

White Rabbit's Color Book

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  72 reviews
White Rabbit's Color Book (Little Rabbit Books)

One inquisitive hop, and splash! goes White Rabbit into a bucket of yellow paint. Soon the little rabbit is jumping from bucket to bucket and learning all about colors and how they mix. Quivering with excitement, Brown Rabbit nudges open a square gift box and finds five balloons which take on all sorts of shapes. Gray Rabbit a
Published September 15th 1999 by Kingfisher (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about White Rabbit's Color Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Rabbit's Color Book

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsIsh by Peter H. ReynoldsMouse Paint by Ellen Stoll WalshArt & Max by David Wiesner
Children Books About Art
10th out of 98 books — 89 voters
Ish by Peter H. ReynoldsThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsBeautiful Oops! by Barney SaltzbergNot a Box by Antoinette PortisGreen by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Great Books for the Elementary Art Room
19th out of 138 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Annette Taylor-james
This book is great for teaching about mixing colors put this book in your science center after reading to the children allow them to mix their colors following rabbit along his journey from white to guess what color? You will have to read it to find that out! The colors are vivid.
Clementine Lagarde
I love this book! This is a book for young children, it teaches them about colours that mix and become other colours.

One day white rabbit finds 3 pots of paint, red yellow and blue. She takes a fancy to sunshine yellow and jumps in the pot of paint! She then thinks the red paint looks interesting and jumps in that.... thus causing her to become orange! She quickly takes a shower to wash herself off. Then jumps back into the red paint followed by the blue paint turning herself purple. Princess pu
Slytano
I always tell kids that I can't see colors very well. Why do I tell them this lie? Because Mr. Rogers was colorblind, and if he could not see colors well, then I shouldn't, either.

Plus, I'm just looking for a way to introduce the idea to kids that we are all different.

Plus, I'm not really sure if I do see colors correctly, if you want to know the truth.

Anyway, a white rabbit keeps hopping into different colored buckets of paint and follows up on its absurd task by taking a shower. By the end of
Jaksen
Okay, I am going to review the 'Rabbit' books, which my two grandsons just love.

Now, I've got an entire bookcase of children's books, some new, some old, some from my childhood, some from my daughter's childhood, but among them are the 'rabbit books' which we re-read, over and over and over ...

When the boys are here they always want books, and I say, get me five books, or six books, whatever. They ALWAYS select the rabbit books. (Seriously, I have about 100 or more books, boys.) :D

The funny thin
Katrina
Jun 12, 2009 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4-8 Year Olds Learning about Colors
Shelves: picture-books
This book teaches the secondary colors by illustrating a curiuos rabbit jumping into paint bowls of primary colors. This is one of of the only books like that I have found that teaches the three colors that make brown. Mouse Paint by Ellen Stolle Walsh has a better storyline in my book but the rabbit is cute too.
Katie Hibbard
With the simple but beautiful illustrations, this book can be a great resource to use to teach children how to mix colors together; it is a fun way to introduce primary colors and what can be done when they are mixed together. Sometimes colors don't quite mix; I loved how White Rabbit solves his little problem in the end with the colors that he has. This is a really cute book that should be read to children that are learning their colors.
Destiny Thompson
This book teaches children how to mix primary colors in order to create secondary colors, and eventually results in all the colors being mixed to crate brown. The white rabbit baths and in colors creating a rainbow of colors. Children enjoy this book, and don't even now they are learning how to create new colors. This book can be used to teach about animals, not just colors. Great Book!
Tara Kollman
This book is an adorable way to teach young children about colors. Firstly, if the child did not know what the title of the color corresponded to the specific shade, a student can learn through this book. Also, this book teaches to students what happens when you mix colors. I would use this book in a classroom in grades K-1. I think the students would enjoy and laugh at the book when the bunny changes to funny colors. The book first starts off with mixing red and yellow makes orange. Then the b ...more
Crystal
This book is a darling way to teach children about colors and mixing colors. This book is written as more of a story than a textbook. Writing this way caught my attention and I think will catch children's attention well! It is fun book and there are many good activities that could go along with this book.
Lisa Lathrop
Jan 23, 2015 Lisa Lathrop rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Art teachers, K-2 classroom teachers
Recommended to Lisa by: colleague
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is a visually exciting way to teach children about primary and secondary colors. I use it regularly as an accompaniment to a color wheel lesson. Children catch on quickly with this delightful tale of a curious white rabbit who jumps into paint buckets. Must have for early art students!
Lexi
This is such a cute book and a happy giggle escaped when Rabbit ran out of water and just turned herself brown. It is also a great book to teach the basics of color and mixing color for children when they are first are learning colors. It would be a great book to put into and art or science unit.
Tatelyn Graves
This book was so cute! not only was it so creative but it made you laugh. This book is a really good book for kids who don't know their colors. It teaches you the basic and primary colors so you can learn what colors mix with what. It was so cute and made you want to keep reading it,
Sydney
I remember reading this when I was in elementary school. I think that it is a great book to teach children about mixing colors and what colors mixed with other colors make other colors. It is an easy read for children also. I thought the pictures did a great job illustrating the book to.
Meg McGregor
Fantastic book to introduce and reinforce colors.

White Rabbit helps littles learn their colors in a very fun way that begs for repeat readings.

I especially like when she jumps into the colors and turns out a pretty purple rabbit. Purple is my favorite color.
Meg McGregor
Fantastic book to introduce and reinforce colors.

Ariane Frost
What a curious little book. I loved the idea of innocent curiosity. This book is a fun way to learn about mixing colors and playing. This would be a fun one to read with the little ones. Plus that white bunny is just too cute
Brielle Bogenschutz
Adorable book and fun book to read with children when you want to explain what colors mixed together make another color. I thought it was a fun read and I think young children would get a good laugh out of it.
Cyndi
So cute! The bunny hops into different buckets of paint and shows how when two primary colors are combined they make a new color. Perfect to teach kids about color combinations. The bunny is adorable.
Caroline Raines
I really loved this book because it reminded me of the book Mouse Paint where they mix the colors and discover new colors. I love books about color and I thought the art in this book was particularly cute.
Rachel Dalton
This is a fun way to help your students learn how to make secondary colors. It also is a great prediction book! I would definitely use this book with some kind of discovery art activity. I have the Spanish version of the book and want to get the English edition.
Nicole Packer
This book is super cute!! It teaches children about mixing the primary colors in a very awesome way! I love this book!!! I definitely want this book in my classroom when I start teaching!
Kathryn
A wonderful picture book option for children around the ages of three to four, this story is more of a lesson on primary and secondary colors than a story itself, but is put in a fun, easy to understand, and enlightening way. As a young rabbit hops into different tubs of paint to observe what color he will becomes, and washes clean to begin again, children are able to learn about the combination and formation of colors. I did a small lesson using this book for a curriculum class I am currently t ...more
Natalie
Mixing colors often confused me as kid. It would have been useful to have a book like this that taught me how primary colors can be combined to make secondary colors. Fun and creative.
Megan Farmer
This was a really cute book that I would definitely read to my children. It;s one that would help them see how primary colors mixed together can make new colors.
Jennifer Heise
It's really a pity that Alan Baker's Rabbit books are no longer in print. In this charming volume, a family favorite, White Rabbit (messily) hops into one and then another of 3 primary color paints, showering off between color combos. But when she tries the last combination (green) she discovers she's out of water-- and finishes up by coloring herself brown by hopping into the red! The short text on each page makes it a quick read, and the rabbit is drawn doing un-rabbity things in a rabbity way ...more
Robin
What color should rabbit be? This fun books shows what happens when rabbit mixes and dips colors.
Susie
Primary colors and what you get when you mix them. Younger grades. Darling pages.
Kaye
A cute introduction to colors from a rabbit who tests out each pot of paint.
Cryztal
Read it when I was small and read it to my little bros :)
Jenna West
This book is such a cute little book that teaches kids about colors and what colors you can make with red, blue, and yellow, the primary colors. I loved it!
  • Blue Goose
  • The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors
  • My Crayons Talk
  • 10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Picture a Tree
  • Windblown

illustrator
More about Alan Baker...
Gray Rabbit's Odd One Out Brown Rabbit's Shape Book Black and White Rabbit's ABC Gray Rabbit's 1,2,3 Two Tiny Mice