Start by marking “The Mirror Of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror Of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4)

The Mirror Of Merlin (Merlin #4)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  6,122 ratings  ·  51 reviews

What is the nature of fate? Is young Merlin destined to be a powerful wizard, or does he have a choice? These are the questions Merlin must answer as he travels with the deer woman Hallia to the Haunted Marsh where the marsh ghouls have begun a campaign of destruction. Or are the ghouls being manipulated by an even greater source of evil? An evil that seeks to destroy not
Published September 13th 1999 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror Of Merlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mirror Of Merlin

Grayson Schoeller
this book was by far the best of the series so far but it still had a few bad things about it. one thing that was bad was that the main bad guy turns out to be a person we knew from a long time ago that turns out to be from the future. its like Harry Potter facing Voldemort after he has already defeated him but the catch being that he is 30 years older. Another bad thing is that (spoiler) Merlin goes to the present at some point then starts to live backwards which never really happened with the ...more
Carrie Slager
What if you could go back in time to talk with your younger self and warn him/her about impending danger? Or what if you could look into a mirror as a teenager and see the person you will become? Well, that’s what the mysterious mirror in the middle of the Haunted Marsh allows Merlin to do. But first he must travel to the very centre of the swamp with the deer-woman he loves in order to retrieve the sword Nimue stole from him.

“Mirrors, I assure you, can cause more pain than broadswords, more ter
Lindsey Meyer
This volume was a lot of fun. I liked getting to know Hallia and her budding relationship with Merlin. Although I was quite disappointed there was no Rhia or Caipre - two of my favorite characters.
The author is really getting more into the Arthurian legends and lore now and it's exciting! I can't give away any spoilers but some very important characters have begun to show up and I love it. He's doing it in a pretty creative way.
Ashley
The Mirror of Merlin is the slowest of the series thus far. It wasn’t until about 150 pages into the book (only about a 250 page book) that things really began to happen. I just felt like this was a little slower than the plot should have moved. Maybe if something more important happened to Merlin at the beginning of the story it would have been more interesting. Basically, we just learn that he is trying to control his shadow, which he is having a hard time with and that his art of Leaping isn’ ...more
Alex Murphy
I really love this series, and I am so happy I can read these again and still feel the magic. In this adventure Merlin is stillll plagued by self doubt and that weird voice in him that tells him not to listen to what his tasks are. I really love this writing and the continuation of this series though I have a complaint about the way Shim and that weird seal creature talk.

I get it, Lloyd Alexander had to have one, Tolkin, Lucas, and I thought Barron would be satisfied with just one, but no he ha
Tyler
The Lost Years of Merlin series has always been hit and miss for me, and Mirror of Merlin remains that way with one true gem of redemption.

On the positive side, I love Barron's "foreshadowing" as Merlin thinks and has ideas about his future; being familiar with the myths and stories surrounding Merlin's life, it is delightful to read about his life as a teenager when he first has the desire to grow a beard, or live backward in time, or have a crystal cave for his home. I also love Barron's famil
♥Xeni♥
Okay, this is where I really started to despise Merlin. First off, his love life: okay, great, you can turn yourself into a deer now (on a side note, why a deer? Don't you know that they get shot and eaten?? Mr. Barron you should have done it differently.) but Merlin, you don't have the courage to stay with the love of your life? It's fate that you're both to be together for only a short time and then you see your own death? Really?

Okay, you can probably tell by my sarcasm that I'm more than a
Lauren
The first three books of T.A. Barron's Lost Years series were kind of light on the Arthurian aspects, but that changes dramatically in The Mirror of Merlin. The story is somewhat less enchanting and swift than the previous Merlin tales (particularly with the ballymag), but it's still an intriguing time-spanning adventure.

Hostile marsh ghouls have started rising in the Haunted Marshes of Fincayra, and Merlin and Co. happen to have a mission there (to find Merlin's magical sword). There Merlin en
Karline05 Un brin de lecture
Un quatrième tome qui nous présente une vraie évolution dans le caractère assez exécrable de Merlin. A nouveau, on souffre de quelques longueurs en début de récit puis le rythme s'accélère. Quelques rencontres et révélations font de ce tome un tournant des aventures de la jeunesse de Merlin. C'est effectivement une saga très jeunesse mais assez captivante et addictive au final.

Mycoton32
14/20
alors que j'avais aimé les tomes précédents, j'ai trouvé que le début de celui-ci trainait en longueur alors que la fin est davantage rythmée ! Mais encore une fois l'auteur arrive à nous donner envie de lire la suite !
Céline
I was going to put 2 stars till I arrived to the second part of the book, where Merlin finally finds the mirror. The first part was not really important to me, I think it took too much time compared to the few actions that take place.
Tara
Beau
I just didn't get cohesion between parts in this one. It's almost as if it's two story lines, meshed into one. Not that that's bad, just disorienting in comparison to the series.

For a reant on how things just "happen" that affect things go here

For me it was just a book to go through to get to the last one in the series, although I must emphasize, IT IS LARGELY THE RESULT OF MY OWN INEPTITUDE. :p
Kami
- The story wasn't very good in this one. Merlin kinda just traveled around. It got better about half way through.

- The Ballymag's dialogue is annoying. I had to slow down to read what he said.

- Merlin hasn't said chants to do magic before. Why does he need to now?

- Merlin is still very arrogant and ornery. Will he ever learn?

- I loved that they added Ector into the story!

- I think I'm getting burnt out on these books. I will probably take a break and read something else before tackling the last
Lydie Blaizot
Un roman de transition plutôt décevant avec une manière de plonger Merlin dans les ennuis plus que mièvre.
Emily
This one was the odd one out of the series. It was much shorter, about half the size of the other books. For once, Merlin isn't rushing around as fast as he can to save all of Fincayra or something just as important. While it’s just as essential to the series as the others, it’s a nice break from the panic and immense weight of responsibility that’s in all the other books. Even so, Merlin goes through all the development that is a staple and really the whole point of the series.
Denae
I liked this book better than the first three. The pacing seemed more intense, the danger more real, the actions more believable. I still think the magic needs more definition, and I wish I understood exactly how the second sight was different from regular sight (sometimes Merlin sees less than Hallia, sometimes more).
The climax was a tad rushed and predictable, but otherwise decent.
Katie
The final 45 pages were the best part of the book.
Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group
Oct 07, 2008 Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who loves fantiseys
Recommended to Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group by: no one
Merlin a young 16 year old,has lost his sword in the swamp of horrors and has to find it cause it is part of his destney. when in the swamp he finds a hurt magpie and heals it. later he finds a key that can unlock any door or any spell. then he finds a mirror and goes in it and finds his older self. it is good
Jessica Bingham
I can't believe this magical series is over!! I would gladly read more books about Merlin growing up if Barron would write them, especially after Merlin meets his older self....ahhhh!!! I want to know about the owls, and ice cream, and Halia!!! What happened to her? I have so many questions!!!
Karolinde (Kari)
This isn't my favorite of the books, even though there is some really fun play on words. Basically, Merlin runs into his past and future nemisis Nimue. She uses her powers to return to the past in order to kill Merlin before he can become the powerful wizard of her future.
Uyuki
Cuando terminé de leerlo estaba convencida de que había sido un gran final. Merlín se había visto a si mismo como un viejo mago, había visto a Arturo y de alguna manera sabía que lo volvería a ver.
Todo estaba bien.
Cuál no sería mi sorpresa al saber que había un quinto libro.
Jodee
This was my favorite so far. It offered the most adventure and it is nice to see that merlin is maturing and not being so selfish. Now he just needs to learn to have greater confidence in his abilities and reliance on others observations and opinions.
Kevin L.
Chalker Conrad
This book, while still amazing, is not as good as the others. The story line is ok until the last few pages and then your just amazed with the amazing piece of information it drops on your shoulders.
Amanda
Jeri
4th of series of 5. looks at merlin's youth and education (through experiences). this is my favorite of the 5 because he meets and visits with his future self.
Anthony Faber
Merlin #4. About the same as the others, but he introduces time travel, which I found difficult to swallow.

• I Am Mordred
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Arkadians
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Flying Dutchman, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of King Arthur: Reality and Legend, the Beginning and the End--The Most Complete Arthurian Sourcebook Ever
  • Realm of the Reaper (Everworld, #4)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • Grail Prince
  • Here Lies Arthur
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o ...more
More about T.A. Barron...
The Lost Years (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1) The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2) The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5) The Fires of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #3) Child of the Dark Prophecy (The Great Tree of Avalon, #1)