Start by marking “Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness

Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In his exciting and original view of the universe, Itzhak Bentov has provided a new perspective on human consciousness and its limitless possibilities. Widely known and loved for his delightful humor and imagination, Bentov explains the familiar world of phenomena with perceptions that are as lucid as they are thrilling. He gives us a provocative picture of ourselves in an ...more
Published May 18th 1977 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Wild Pendulum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Wild Pendulum

Koshin
Jun 28, 2007 Koshin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amateur philosophers

I picked up this book after reading about the authors bio on wikipedia. I found the ideas fascinating as the author tries to construct a model of the metaphysical world using concepts already known in physics. There is very little in the way of formulas or proofs and he has very good analogies that try to relate concepts on a metaphysical level with real world examples. Some people have problems with his approach and would chastise the work as lacking in scientific rigor. I found the book entert
Jeanne
This is by far the clearest discussion of quantum theory I have read to date. Few people seem to have a speaking grasp of quantum physics and its implications. This book could change that.

In his chapter, "A Morse Code of Action and Rest," Bentov explains the movement and rest phases of a pendulum in such a way that it is clear to me how we can enter altered or parallel states of reality at the zero point. This fits with what I read in The Power of Now, and the Tobias channels of the Crimson Cir
Sean
Relying on barely any external references, this book presents an alternative view of the universe. I intend to read it again, as I am doing with The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies here, as I think them excellent compliments to each other, and I don't recall if it's completely accurate that the book doesn't use many external references.
Sandy
Nov 19, 2007 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knuckle head noetics
approx. 12,000 hits on Google. Basic premise is taking early thoughts on sympathetic vibration (string theory?) to a metaphysical level. He proclaims our entire existence is subconsciously experienced as swinging back and forth between the time we are individuals and the time when we "are part of the thing that is everything" (sort of like the Matrix only benign)

Knowledge and phenomena exist in "the everything" as big bubbles or concentrations. Great geniuses of all kinds tap in and bring back
Lage von Dissen
Bentov certainly has a prolific imagination, and this book does a decent job of giving us a taste. He points out many rhythms, cycles, and patterns in nature, and how conscious beings are a part of (and how they have altered) those attributes. He discusses quantity vs. quality of consciousness, the psyche, and some ideas concerning our spiritual nature. He discusses temporal properties, cosmology (potential origin and cycles of the universe), etc. Needless to say, he covers quite a range of topi ...more
Debra Brunk
This is by far the most interesting and most creative/different book I've read in a long time. It was refreshing to read something so different. The author sets out to show the relationship between quantum physics and consciousness, existence and creation of the galaxy(ies). It's very technical, abstract stuff, but the author does an amazing job of explaining it via diagrams and easy-to-relate-to analogies. He steps the reader through his hypotheses in a logical way, despite the hugeness of what ...more
Christopher S.
Excellent read, if you think you understand the way things work in our world this book will make you think again.
Kapil Kaisare
Too many intuitive leaps, and too little hard data.
Nicholas
This book to me trod the line between modern physics and occult philosophy.It is very clear concise and readable,though the diagrams could have been better.
Too often books on these subjects plunge headlong into the abyss of mysticism,faith healing and ranting Utopian ideals,this however is a much more serious effort at explaining the mechanics of consciousness.It is an enlightening book in my opinion.
Arthur
A shockingly exhaustive cosmovision from a visionary autodidact who holds your hand from basic wave mechanics to the ramifications of spacetime as continuous while offering pointers on how to experience such truths immediately through contemplation.
Michelle
May 19, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Dan
This is a heavy book. This book is very technical but the author does a great job of drawing diagrams and explaining things simply so that you can understand it. His insights into consciousness are extremely deep and well thought out. He does a great job proving his theories. I think everyone should read this book.
Christine Maga
Dec 19, 2007 Christine Maga rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who identify with eastern philosophies
The beginning was the best part. He starts to speculate toward the middle and some of his ideas are kind of a stretch of the imagination, but the concepts are interesting. There were a few mistakes, but I still liked it overall.
Feydras
This book helped shape my understanding of the structure of the universe and space/time. I read it years ago and don't know if the physics stand up. I'm told they certainly don't. But some of the ideas are brilliant.
Lynn Wilson
A wonderful, fun ride through the world of physics for laypeople. Humorous, with numerous illustrations. I read it 20 years ago and the information provided stays with me to this day.
Spz0
This book is turning out to be all about a vibrational existence, and how everything - even our minds, and thoughts, our most subtlest of movements, have impact on the universe.
Mike
very interesting at the start then got a little to "Out there" for me. Although there is a certain science to his psychosis, Bentov is quite "Bent", still somewhat entertaining.

William
When science meets spirituality, and shake hands in agreement of the fundamental principals of experience of life as we call it, you have Itzhak Bentov.

Do read!
Noah Muller
Amazing book, itzhak uses many drawings in this book which for have help facilitate my understanding of the mechanics of consciousness during spiritual experience.
Flan
Found this in a used bookstore and really enjoyed it. The physics of how our brain and body works understood and explained by a layman.
Terion Miller
Loved this book, was a key book on putting me on my path. Read this 20 years ago, it was life changing.
Lene
Very interesting, a whole new perspective on the science of psychic activity.
Mike mcghee
great connections, not enough science. gueass its time for hawking.
Danny
Definitely not the easiest read, but well worth the effort.
The best simple manual on quantum consciousness.
Reed
Bizarre blend of mysticism and mechanics.
Kenhomer
A book I reread every few years
Jeffery
gets carried away in the second half
Shelly
Jan 26, 2010 Shelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one that wants to expand their ideas about the universe and themselves
My expanding and evolving book!
explaining quantum-issues 1 3 Jun 16, 2013 10:45AM
  • The User Illusion: Cutting Consciousness Down to Size
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • Death, Sleep & the Traveler
  • The Collapse of Chaos: Discovering Simplicity in a Complex World
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World
  • Power of the Witch
  • That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek
A Brief Tour of Higher Consciousness: A Cosmic Book on the Mechanics of Creation Cosmic Book À espreita do pêndulo cósmico