Start by marking “Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness

Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciouness

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In his exciting and original view of the universe, Itzhak Bentov has provided a new perspective on human consciousness and its limitless possibilities. Widely known and loved for his delightful humor and imagination, Bentov explains the familiar world of phenomena with perceptions that are as lucid as they are thrilling. He gives us a provocative picture of ourselves in an ...more
Published May 18th 1977 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Wild Pendulum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Wild Pendulum

Koshin
Jun 28, 2007 Koshin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amateur philosophers

I picked up this book after reading about the authors bio on wikipedia. I found the ideas fascinating as the author tries to construct a model of the metaphysical world using concepts already known in physics. There is very little in the way of formulas or proofs and he has very good analogies that try to relate concepts on a metaphysical level with real world examples. Some people have problems with his approach and would chastise the work as lacking in scientific rigor. I found the book entert
Jeanne
Sep 09, 2007 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: energymedicine
This is by far the clearest discussion of quantum theory I have read to date. Few people seem to have a speaking grasp of quantum physics and its implications. This book could change that.

In his chapter, "A Morse Code of Action and Rest," Bentov explains the movement and rest phases of a pendulum in such a way that it is clear to me how we can enter altered or parallel states of reality at the zero point. This fits with what I read in The Power of Now, and the Tobias channels of the Crimson Cir
Sean
Jan 12, 2015 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relying on barely any external references, this book presents an alternative view of the universe. I intend to read it again, as I am doing with The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies here, as I think them excellent compliments to each other, and I don't recall if it's completely accurate that the book doesn't use many external references.
Jacob
If you are curious at all about consciousness READ THIS BOOK.

It is very easy to understand, he doesn't use any complex language or terminology and utilizes pictures and diagrams really well so that you understand what he is talking about.

This information is not taught in schools and is somewhat counter to they way our culture views things.

You definitely need an open mind to read this book or else it will leave you open minded.

THIS BOOK COMPLETELY CHANGED HOW I SAW THE WORLD.
Sandy
Nov 19, 2007 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knuckle head noetics
approx. 12,000 hits on Google. Basic premise is taking early thoughts on sympathetic vibration (string theory?) to a metaphysical level. He proclaims our entire existence is subconsciously experienced as swinging back and forth between the time we are individuals and the time when we "are part of the thing that is everything" (sort of like the Matrix only benign)

Knowledge and phenomena exist in "the everything" as big bubbles or concentrations. Great geniuses of all kinds tap in and bring back
Jim
Mar 11, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember being impressed when I read this book many years ago. Unfortunately, I've lost my paperback copy, so can't reread and evaluate it from an older, more mature(?) perspective. And I don't plan on buying the book unless I run across a copy at a used book store.
Lage von Dissen
Bentov certainly has a prolific imagination, and this book does a decent job of giving us a taste. He points out many rhythms, cycles, and patterns in nature, and how conscious beings are a part of (and how they have altered) those attributes. He discusses quantity vs. quality of consciousness, the psyche, and some ideas concerning our spiritual nature. He discusses temporal properties, cosmology (potential origin and cycles of the universe), etc. Needless to say, he covers quite a range of topi ...more
Debra Brunk
Dec 27, 2013 Debra Brunk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the most interesting and most creative/different book I've read in a long time. It was refreshing to read something so different. The author sets out to show the relationship between quantum physics and consciousness, existence and creation of the galaxy(ies). It's very technical, abstract stuff, but the author does an amazing job of explaining it via diagrams and easy-to-relate-to analogies. He steps the reader through his hypotheses in a logical way, despite the hugeness of what ...more
Christopher Sharp
Excellent read, if you think you understand the way things work in our world this book will make you think again.
Sandi
Jun 24, 2015 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking. It will need another read or two to take it all in.
M.E. Neidhardt
Nov 11, 2015 M.E. Neidhardt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fascinating. It's not really about dowsing with a pendulum, as you might think by the cover. It's about the many different levels of consciousness, realities, time and space and how we could all have the ability to learn to interact with them if we open our minds.
Mounir Bashour
Oct 07, 2015 Mounir Bashour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly important work which has stood the test of time - a must read.
Kapil Kaisare
Too many intuitive leaps, and too little hard data.
Nicholas
Nov 29, 2011 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book to me trod the line between modern physics and occult philosophy.It is very clear concise and readable,though the diagrams could have been better.
Too often books on these subjects plunge headlong into the abyss of mysticism,faith healing and ranting Utopian ideals,this however is a much more serious effort at explaining the mechanics of consciousness.It is an enlightening book in my opinion.
Arthur
Dec 29, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A shockingly exhaustive cosmovision from a visionary autodidact who holds your hand from basic wave mechanics to the ramifications of spacetime as continuous while offering pointers on how to experience such truths immediately through contemplation.
Michelle
May 19, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Dan
This is a heavy book. This book is very technical but the author does a great job of drawing diagrams and explaining things simply so that you can understand it. His insights into consciousness are extremely deep and well thought out. He does a great job proving his theories. I think everyone should read this book.
Christine Maga
Dec 19, 2007 Christine Maga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who identify with eastern philosophies
The beginning was the best part. He starts to speculate toward the middle and some of his ideas are kind of a stretch of the imagination, but the concepts are interesting. There were a few mistakes, but I still liked it overall.
Feydras
Jul 09, 2007 Feydras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped shape my understanding of the structure of the universe and space/time. I read it years ago and don't know if the physics stand up. I'm told they certainly don't. But some of the ideas are brilliant.
Lynn Wilson
May 31, 2009 Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, fun ride through the world of physics for laypeople. Humorous, with numerous illustrations. I read it 20 years ago and the information provided stays with me to this day.
Spz0
Aug 20, 2008 Spz0 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book is turning out to be all about a vibrational existence, and how everything - even our minds, and thoughts, our most subtlest of movements, have impact on the universe.
Mike
Feb 19, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
very interesting at the start then got a little to "Out there" for me. Although there is a certain science to his psychosis, Bentov is quite "Bent", still somewhat entertaining.

William
Oct 31, 2008 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When science meets spirituality, and shake hands in agreement of the fundamental principals of experience of life as we call it, you have Itzhak Bentov.

Do read!
Noah Muller
Jul 11, 2012 Noah Muller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, itzhak uses many drawings in this book which for have help facilitate my understanding of the mechanics of consciousness during spiritual experience.
Flan
Feb 10, 2008 Flan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this in a used bookstore and really enjoyed it. The physics of how our brain and body works understood and explained by a layman.
Terion Miller
Loved this book, was a key book on putting me on my path. Read this 20 years ago, it was life changing.
Lene
Aug 12, 2012 Lene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, a whole new perspective on the science of psychic activity.
Mike mcghee
great connections, not enough science. gueass its time for hawking.
Danny
Nov 18, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the easiest read, but well worth the effort.
Aug 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best simple manual on quantum consciousness.
Reed
Sep 16, 2013 Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre blend of mysticism and mechanics.
explaining quantum-issues 1 5 Jun 16, 2013 10:45AM
  • Cosmic Consciousness - A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind
  • The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library: An Anthology of Ancient Writings Which Relate to Pythagoras and Pythagorean Philosophy
  • The Eye of the I: From Which Nothing is Hidden
  • The Psychology of Consciousness
  • The Collected Works of C.G. Jung
  • Superlearning 2000
  • As Far As You Can Go Without A Passport: The View From The End Of The Road
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • Natural Obsessions: The Search for the Oncogene