Start by marking “The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)

The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  81,486 Ratings  ·  2,738 Reviews
On the veranda of a great New Orleans house, now faded, a mute and fragile woman sits rocking. And the witching hour begins ...

Demonstrating once again her gift for spellbinding storytelling and the creation of legend, Anne Rice makes real for us a great dynasty of witches --- a family given to poetry and incest, to murder and philosophy, a family that over the ages is it
Mass Market Paperback, 1038 pages
Published March 22nd 1993 by Ballantine Books (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Witching Hour, please sign up.

Brittany Your local library! Most libraries offer free downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, etc. The system I work for also has digital magazines and music all…moreYour local library! Most libraries offer free downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, etc. The system I work for also has digital magazines and music all available for free download. :)(less)
Eve Love the Mayfair Witches Series. In her later vampire chronicles the stories and some characters cross over with this series. The Mayfair Witches…moreLove the Mayfair Witches Series. In her later vampire chronicles the stories and some characters cross over with this series. The Mayfair Witches stories follow a family of witches , their lives and family history and how they are tormented by a demon.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Best Female Lead Characters
235th out of 3,737 books — 4,738 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe
Best Books to Read for Halloween!
81st out of 526 books — 537 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise Jensen
Feb 09, 2008 Elise Jensen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I actually quite enjoyed this book up until the very end, when I felt like the main female character just had some sort of weird personality seizure and did something that the character as you've come to know her just wouldn't have done. It just made it seem poorly written to me, like Ms. Rice decided in the last 10 pages or so that it was going to have a sequel after all when she had been intending from the beginning for it to be a one-book story.
RunForTheRoses
Jun 01, 2008 RunForTheRoses rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas that year. This was my first ever Anne Rice book, and it was about a year after Interview With A Vampire came out as a movie with Brad Pitt, Christian Slater and Tom Cruise. I was blown away people. If you like a story, like Gone With the Wind on crack, no seriously, epic like that, except VERY ADULT (don't let your tweens get their hands on this one Mom's and Dad's!), but such an addicting read that you may just get fired for calling in sick over it.

This was far an
Liisa
Derek Oberg
Aug 01, 2009 Derek Oberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most
One of my top 3 favorite novels of all time. Anne Rice gets a bad rap for being pure shlock, but what most people who haven't read her don't realize is that she is obsessed with history. She studies a particular time period, learns everything she can about it, and then creates characters and sticks them in it. She rarely disappoints me. And her prose is beautiful. You can sit down to read and realize that 2 hours have passed having not even noticed.

This book is about a woman named Rowan Mayfair,
Aoibhínn
The Mayfair's are an extremely powerful and wealthy family, in each generation there is a chosen one, a witch, who inherits not only the family home and money, but supernatural powers and an evil entity, named Lasher, who only has one aim – to become human again.

The Witching Hour is an extremely long novel, 1207 pages, but don't let that put you off reading as once you open the first page you soon find yourself completely absorbed in the chilling tale of the Mayfair Witches. This novel has a sp
Warning: SPOILERS. And gifs. Lots of both, actually.

I don't even know how to summarize what I've just finished. It's like trying to tell someone what happens in a George RR Martin novel. You might try to list item by item, but everything is woven with everything else & there's no way to distinguish in the grand scheme. "Oh, y'know. Stuff happens. People threaten each other. People fight. People die. People have sex. More stuff happens. More people fight. More people die. The end."

(Sorry, Rob
Jun 11, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite summer trash reads. It's like a soap opera with witches and sex. Good fun.
Meredith Watson
Dec 19, 2007 Meredith Watson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I FINALLY finished this. Good Lord, what a long winded mess this was. All the wordy history was boring but I stuck it out then ended up hating the ending! Why in the world to I keep reading Anne Rice?
Olivier Delaye
May 03, 2016 Olivier Delaye rated it really liked it
26 years ago Anne Rice decided to move away from her vampire chronicles for a little while and tackle another supernatural theme which until then hadn’t showed up in her fiction––witchcraft. With this first installment in the Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy, she wrote the perfect family saga full of history, intrigues, description (and boy is there a lot of it!), fully-crafted (pun intended) characters (a plethora of them, actually!), dark magic, creepy scenes and details (boy, that scene i ...more
mark monday
I imagine this as a fabulous mini-series featuring Kathy Bates and Sharon Stone in key roles. why can't this happen? someone make this happen!
Mallory
Aug 01, 2011 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Review is tainted by romance.

When my man and I first moved into the Garden District last summer (while I was still a bartender) we moved into a pristine apartment with a gallery balcony which overlooked Chestnut street. Left in our room in an otherwise pristine apartment was a box of clutter left by the previous tenant. She left spoons, a rubber ducky, a hideous vase and five Anne Rice novels.

I spent most of the summer mornings on the balcony reading the Mayfair witches series, starting with Th
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 HeavyReader rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who like to read "to be continued" at the end of a long book
Shelves: fantasy, louisiana
When I got to the end of this thick book, after having read hundreds of lukewarm pages, and found that it basically said "to be continued," I was pretty pissed off. If the book had been mine and not one I had borrowed from a friend, I would have tossed it across the room. That was when I decided that I would never again buy an Anne Rice book. I haven't.
Missy
Dec 30, 2008 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Anne Rice book of all time, anyone who reads this book will fall in love with New Orleans and Anne's writing. Not a vampire book, and I do love her vampires, but this is the best.
Penelope Douglas
Apr 28, 2016 Penelope Douglas rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite novel of hers. As is the case with most AR books, I don't particularly connect with the characters as much as I do with the world she creates. Love the web of history and how everything weaves together.
Geek Lee
Jan 10, 2011 Geek Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darth J
May 06, 2014 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, witch-wizard

Review also posted at My Bookshelf is Ready.
Robert Dunbar
May 03, 2016 Robert Dunbar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Seventeenth-Century Stonehenge: a woman sways and chants beneath a stony sky, calling to the Devil.

“We know there are such entities… they may grant our wishes in ways that cause us to cry to heaven in desperation.”
~ The Witching Hour

Anne Rice made terror respectable.

Okay, so some of her recent efforts may have made me want my high school ring back, but her early work did for contemporary horror what P. D. James did for detective fiction: legitimized it, returned it to the level of ‘literature.’
Amy
May 11, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it
This book is bad in so many ways. The most offensive being her erotic descriptions of incest and child sexual abuse activities. She writes these as steamy harlequin romance moments with no alluding to the wrongness and damage these activities and crimes truly are in real life. It's as if she champions them as some great sexual experiences. That in and of itself is enough for me to hate a book. Makes me wonder about her as a person. That being said, and those parts aside, the beginning of the boo ...more
Veronica
Apr 02, 2012 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Engrossing from the first paragraph. Anne Rice is best known for her book, "Interview With the Vampire," but she SHOULD be best known for this.
This is an epic novel that follows the lives of the Mayfair witches through generations, time and place. Eerie, magical, and mysterious. Characters are woven into an intricate and mesmerizing plot. Beautiful descriptive writing.
I was chilled to the bone and genuinely scared during nearly every chapter, but addicted like nothing else. Stayed up way pa
Abbey
Dec 13, 2007 Abbey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys history, family trees and witchcraft
Shelves: recently-read
I always hated vampire/witch stories but my honors English teacher in high school recommended this book to me for our final paper. Its about 1000 pages long so I used the first 500 hundred and literally fell in love. Since then I have read the book about five times. I LOVE IT. It centers around a wealthy family living in New Orleans, there is a spirit that follows one woman in every generation and the story follows the spirit from its conception. It is a really interesting, complex novel with ma ...more
Lesli
Dec 09, 2008 Lesli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing my love of vampires and witches, my sister, upon hearing a review of this book sent it to me for my Birthday and I cold not put it down. This book connects the spirit world, with old world interest, new world love for anything gothic and just plain good writing. I followed the witches, spirits and vampires in every book by Anne Rice. This by far was the best!
David Brasher
Dec 18, 2009 David Brasher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book stinks. Anne Rice wrote really good vampire books, but the Feast of All Saints was dreadful and I couldn't finish. Her book about the childhood of Christ was horribly slow and boring. The Witching Hour goes on and on and on. It is as boring as real life. You just wait for something to happen. Every few pages she gets around to saying something about someone who may or may not be a witch.

The narrative runs sort of like, "In 1954 one of our investigators talked to a maid who lived dow
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. A good, but VERY LONG story about several generations of witches and the spirit (i.e. Lasher) that has guided them for hundreds of years but has his own agenda as well. Did not like as much as the Vampire Chronicles but I still thought it was interesting.
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Review to come....when I'm not so sleepy! :)
Jennifer Prickett
Mar 21, 2010 Jennifer Prickett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this book. Her description skills are beautiful, which drew me in initially (plus I was looking for a book that would take me longer than a day to read, and at over a thousand pages...) You can SEE and FEEL what she says, like your in the room with her looking and touching her characters and environments. So I gave it a star for that.
However. How do you write over six hundred pages without touching on a story plot? I was kind of entranced by the huge history she gave the family, but
Jude Arnold
Aug 27, 2011 Jude Arnold rated it really liked it
Whew! Made it!
I mean I managed to remain mostly sane while taking over 2 weeks to read this book.
I slept, ate and worked. When I first started Anne Rice's, The Witching Hour, I recognized the danger I faced to do nothing but read this 1200 page book from cover to cover in one sitting! I would have hurt myself!

In my humble opinion, Anne Rice is the greatest living author of good and evil. OK, I know she and I both are a little bit old fashioned now!

Rowan, the leading lady, is an brilliant neurosu
Aug 24, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, saga
after reading most of the vampire chronicles, i decide to try Rice's Witches' trilogy... i know that for a lot of people, this book was hard to get through... there's a lot of information in it that seems like, "well who the hell cares????"... but it's all relevant in one way or another, and it SOOOOOOOOOOO sets you up for the subsequent novels, Lasher, and Taltos. (there's also Merrick, Blackwood Farm, and Blood Canticle, which came later.) if you can bear with a somewhat slow read for a little ...more
Sara
Jan 15, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Credo nel Libero Arbitrio, nella Forza Onnipotente secondo la quale ci comportiamo come se fossimo figli e figlie di un dio giusto e saggio, anche se questo ente supremo non esiste. E grazie al libero arbitrio possiamo scegliere di compiere il bene sulla Terra, anche se moriremo tutti e non sappiamo dove andremo dopo la morte, o se ci attende una giustizia o una spiegazione.
«Credo che per mezzo della ragione possiamo sapere che cosa è il bene, e credo nella comunione di uomini e donne nella qu
Jun 09, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I tried to pick this up about early high school time. Anne Rice was and is a hard sell for me, I am in that minority of people who never cared at all about vampires. However, she wrote a couple other books that I read so I figured with this one being about witches I would stand to enjoy it. Witches and magic were much more of a draw for me even in a book of mammoth size. So I started this book and delved into the history of the Mayfair family/women. And holy hell. I couldn't get past the family ...more
Erin
Feb 07, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in High School. I loved the whole Mayfair witches series. The first in the Mayfair Witches series, The Witching Hour introduces the fictional Mayfair family of New Orleans, generations of male and female witches. This tight-knit and deeply connected family, where a death of one strengthens the others with his/her knowledge. One Mayfair witch per generation is also designated to receive the powers of "the man," known as Lasher. Lasher gives the witches gifts, excites them, a ...more
Anne Rice lovers!: What's your favorite ? 4 7 Jun 15, 2016 05:10AM
Witch Book Club!: The Witching Hour 1 2 Jun 12, 2016 04:45PM
mayfair witch books vs vampire chronicals 17 133 Apr 14, 2016 07:47AM
Gothic Literature: The Witching Hour by Anne Rice 7 38 Nov 09, 2015 04:40PM
When to start Witch Books within Vampire Chronicles 2 18 Mar 06, 2015 08:22AM
Anne Rice 31 305 Mar 01, 2015 10:47AM
  • The Witches' Companion
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Beauty's Release (Sleeping Beauty, #3)
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • Sacrament
  • Lilith's Dream (Hunger, #3)
  • Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)
  • Necroscope (Necroscope, #1)
  • Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories
  • Witch Fire (Elemental Witches, #1)
  • The Vampire Book
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • The Fall of Atlantis (The Fall of Atlantis, #1-2)
  • Day of Reckoning: The Stereoscope (Blackstone Chronicles, #5)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...

Lives of the Mayfair Witches (6 books)
  • Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2)
  • Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9)
  • Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10)

“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” 656 likes
“I believe in Free Will, the Force Almighty by which we conduct ourselves as if we were the sons and daughters of a just and wise God, even if there is no such Supreme Being. And by free will, we can choose to do good on this earth, no matter that we all die, and do not know where we go when we die, or if a justice or explanation awaits us.
I believe that we can, through our reason, know what good is, and in the communion of men and women, in which the forgiveness of wrongs will always be more significant than the avenging of them, and that in the beautiful natural world that surrounds us, we represent the best and the finest of beings, for we alone can see that natural beauty, appreciate it, learn from it, weep for it, and seek to conserve it and protect it.
I believe finally that we are the only true moral force in the physical world, the makers of, ethics and moral ideas, and that we must be as good as the gods we created in the past to guide us.
I believe that through our finest efforts, we will succeed finally in creating heaven on earth, and we do it every time that we love, every time that we embrace, every time that we commit to create rather than destroy, every time that we place life over death, and the natural over what is unnatural, insofar as we are able to define it.
And I suppose I do believe in the final analysis that a peace of mind can be obtained in the face of the worst horrors and the worst losses. It can be obtained by faith in change and in will and in accident and by faith in ourselves, that we will do the right thing, more often than not, in the face of adversity.
For ours is the power and the glory, because we are capable of visions and ideas which are ultimately stronger and more enduring than we are.
That is my credo. That is my belief, for what it's worth, and it sustains me. And if I were to die right now, I wouldn't be afraid. Because I can't believe that horror or chaos awaits us.
If any revelation awaits us at all, it must be as good as our ideals and our philosophy. For surely nature must embrace the visible and the invisible, and it couldn't fall short of us. The thing that makes the flowers open and the snowflakes fall must contain a wisdom and a final secret as intricate and beautiful as the blooming camellia or the clouds gathering above, so white and so pure in the blackness.
If that isn't so, then we are in the grip of a staggering irony. And all the spooks of hell might as well dance. There could be a devil. People who burn other people to death are fine. There could be anything.
But the world is simply to beautiful for that.
At least it seems that way to me.”
18 likes