Start by marking “Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)

Devil on My Back (Arc One #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When the slaves rebel against the rigid social order imposed on the colony by the all-controlling computer, Tomi, the son of the colony Overlord manages to escape beyond the computer's reach and discovers what it is like to be free.
Published (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Devil on My Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil on My Back

Eric Mesa
Read this as a kid. I think it was my first bit of post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I'd been looking for it for years on Google, but kept misremembering the title. I was starting to think I'd hallucinated the whole thing.

Anyway, it was a great book for young adult fiction. It got me to think about a lot of issues I'd later see as an adult. The main premise of the book, which I appreciated years later is that of a Pluto Republic where your test scores determine your lot in life. Until reading the book,
Delicious Strawberry
This was an unexpected find for me. I was in highschool, and wandering the library shelves for something to read. One of my habits at the library is to wander around and see what I can find. I have found plenty of good reads this way, and this book was no exception.

I've always liked sci-fi, so reading the inside of the book jacket intrigued me. I checked it out, and i was glad to. This was a idea that is unique today, even more so back then because computers weren't as much a part of life back t
Jessica
I think I've read this book twenty times. In the future, civilization is almost entirely confined to huge domes to ride out a new Dark Age. In Arc One, they live in a very stratified society of slaves, workers, and citizens. Slaves are those incompatible with the Powerpaks that plug directly into the brains of the workers and citizens, giving them information at the blink of an eye. Tomi Bentt has just achieved full citizen status and hopes to one day be as hunched with knowledge (the Paks sit o ...more
Julie Decker
In the distant future, Tomi is one of the elite: he has access to unlimited knowledge (through "paks" that can be attached like software to implanted hardware humans in this society are installed with), and his future is bright. He pities the slaves--people on whom the installation did not work, making them unfit for anything but labor, unfit for education--but treasures his good fortune to be born the way he was. And though his generation is taught that the only real civilization is inside the ...more
Cupof Tea
I really enjoyed re-reading this book since I just picked up the sequel at the library.

150 years after the Age of Confusion following the End of Oil (which the author predicted would happen in 2005 - she could not anticipate frakking) there exists ArcOne which was built to protect the knowledge of human beings, the way monasteries did during the Dark Ages. Unfortunately, the knowledge is now being controlled in specific classes by the Lords, and only the slave class is free of a connection from
R.G.
Like most of her books, this one deals with self discovery and learning the truth of the world around them… Tomi is an arrogant son of Arc One’s Overlord and we come into the story right when he’s plugging in the last pack of his computer thing that basically plugs in all this knowledge into his brain… this makes him a Lord… people who can’t accept that much get lower positions in the Arc One… and those who can’t accept any computer plug-ins become slaves… as is the case with any society that ha ...more
WWWWolf
Tomi is a young clueless lord living in a sheltered community of Arc One - he's distinguished from the common rabble by his ability to receive information packets from the computer that controls the Arc. On the day when he was supposed to become a full-fledged lord, a slave riot breaks out. In the confusion of escape, he suddenly finds himself outside of the Arc and has to figure out how to survive - and how and why to return...

Well this was intriguing. I think I read this book ages ago when I w
Wealhtheow
In the far future, after the earth's petroleum ran out and the environment was toxic, humanity retreated into cities enclosed in plastic domes. Generations later, young Tomi is nervous. He's about to get another information pack slotted into the plug in his spine. If his body can handle it, he's progressed another level up the ladder in his society. But if his nervous system can't handle it, he'll become a menial laborer at best--at worst, death or brain damage awaits him. But to Tomi's joy, he ...more
Eileen Monroe
Really interesting story behind this one... I originally read it when I was about 12 years old, sitting in the library, and it made such an impression on me that I remembered it all these years, but couldn't remember the title or the author. Finally, this year, I wrote to the library where I had read it as a kid, described it, and asked if they could help. Sure enough, they knew the book, and I finally had a title! I immediately ordered it on Amazon, and after 23 years, finally got to read it ag ...more
Taddow
I remember reading this while growing up and how I enjoyed it. Who would have thought that what was envisioned by the author back then is basically a reality now with computers and smart phones. I did not know there was a sequel (I'll have to see if I can locate it).
Swankivy
This book contained an intriguing concept for me when I was a kid. Basically it was about a far-future society in which people enhanced their brains with computer "paks," and if your body rejected the implant that let you add these weird things to your brain then you ended up in a dead-end service job and never had a chance to pursue greatness. It could happen to anyone. But some people who are still living wild outside this society have rejected this way of life, and the main character ends up ...more
Dale Georsua
i love it!
Shanna_redwind
May 12, 2012 Shanna_redwind rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Post Apocalyptic Fiction
Just re-read this and revised my rating from 5 to 4. This is a really good book, and it's much in the same vein as some of the recent post-apocalyptic or Dystopian young adult fiction.

Tomi's character is very hard to like at first, and that is the whole idea of the book. Of a transformation that is needed in the society, but must first start in the people in the society.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys post apocalyptic fiction and wants a fast read.
Jamie
I'm reviewing the books I remember reading as a pre-teen in an effort to figure out how the heck my friends kids don't like reading! This was another great sci-fi find in my personal sea of 30 year old fantasy novels, wish I could get this as an eBook to revisit!
Meg
I read this book as a kid and found it used as an adult and added it to my bookshelf. What struck me about this book that was interesting was a whole society based on Slaves, their watch police and then the people who had the knowledge. The knowledge was through packs that they wore on their backs where as slaves' bodies rejected them. It was a interesting look at a potential society and opression and the fight for freedom.
I read this book in junior high school and loved it. It isn't available where I live so I have tracked down an old used copy to save for my own boys. I think the story is still very relevant today as we rely more and more on the The Internet. I think back to this book anytime I hear talk about potential cell phone implants.
David Robins
Re-read of a book I read a long time ago. Still plenty of fascinating ideas: planned society - almost Plato's classes, except for the slaves, contrasted to freedom outside, in a tribal system (with one free to leave if one chose), and the idea of gradually fixing a broken system.
Beckyg
Read this book to my 4th grade class, but I think it was too deep for most of them. I like books that get young minds to think about how we treat each other. My fourth grade class really did like the twits, and that does the same thing, but I don't like it was well.
Molly
This SciFi novel was introduced to me as a middle schooler and I fell inlove with the YA book. With captivating characters and good writing, I know I will never out grow this story!
Paul
I remember reading this book as a kid and it blowing my freaking mind. To this day I remember the poem from the end of it. I completely connected with this book.
Ms Thraxan
I read this one as a child and have to say it still fascinates me. I never knew it was just the first book but I will be sure to pick up the others!!
Frédérique
I like this book a lot but the plot is nothing original. People living in an underground city controlled by a computer. still a fun read.
Rosemary
I don't know why the library wanted to sell this off. It's good.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Vin Datwani
Vin Datwani marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Rejoice
Rejoice marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
  • Eva
  • My Sister Sif
  • Singularity
  • Teenage Textbook
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • Most Beloved Sister
  • Two Moons In August
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, Book 3)
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Play in One Scene
  • Avaryan Rising  (Avaryan Rising, #1-3)
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • Inferno
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Rabble Starkey
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B
More about Monica Hughes...

Arc One (2 books)
  • The Dream Catcher (Arc One, #2)
Invitation to the Game The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1) The Guardian of Isis (Isis, #2) The Isis Pedlar (Isis, #3) The Dream Catcher (Arc One, #2)