The Sex Life Of My Aunt

The Sex Life Of My Aunt

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Lovely home, lovely husband, lovely family: apart from the envy of her less content sister, everything in Dilys’s rags-to-riches life is lovely, lovely, lovely. Until the day she meets a man at a railway station who is also—lovely.

As Dilys hurtles toward her destruction— her liberation—she discovers that deceit is in the blueprint of our birth, that ancient aunts have thei
Published March 3rd 2005 by Faber & Faber (first published February 5th 2002)

carriedaway
I came thisclose to not bothering to finish the book. Dilys is dallying with Matthew, a man ten years her junior who is almost the mirror version of her husband. While Matthew is on the dole and unconcerned about it, her husband Francis is a nicely stable staid sensible rich lawyer with a class conscience but they have the same basic outlook on life. You can almost see where the one would morph into the other if circumstances were different. /yawn.

I'm not sure if Dilly made me impatient because...more
Hella
Dilys has everything: a rich and enamoured husband, a beautiful house, two lovely son married with two lovely women, a job (more an hobby) that let her with a lot of spare time. She is really happy but then the death of her best friend reconsider everything: Dilys doesn't know anymore if she really lived that life that destiny took from Carole... and that youth and excitement are in front of her at the train station in the Matthew's blue eyes. It's passion at first sight. She spends the craziest...more
Mladen
this is a classic view "from the inside": about one decent lady in the second half of her life that let go herself into the love. Of course, here is a classical marriage, classical children who already have their own marriages and their own children, classical upper middle class where her wealthy husband takes care of the finances, while our dear lady spends years in various forms of art and traditional, quiet, peaceful (did I mention the classical) life.
suddenly, she manages to fall in love as...more
Kittygabe
I don´t know how to classify this book. first, there is the cheating. i don´t really like when the subject is this. but ok, she was depress and like she said there was always that part of her which was sealed in her heart. but thenm she met this wonderful guy, start to hate her husband and in the end... well, not very romantic but maybe pretty realistic! So if you ask my opinio about this book, well, i don´t know!
Tiah
A very English read. I enjoyed that nothing was simple or clear cut. That she did not romanticise the affair or make the husband out to be a demon. I enjoyed the delve into the British class system. However, I felt so detached from the main character that I hardly cared about her when so many events in the novel should have provoked more emotion than they did.
Katie Q
How scary this book is - I don't mean from a spooky point of view but from a realism point of view.

The book made me think about adultery, life, relationships and how frail they can be even when interwoven. Also makes you realise that some simple actions can turn your life upside down.

A great story that will have you begging for more.
Joanne
Quite enjoyed this book. I wouldn't really compare the writer to Joanna Trollope as I love her books. It was an interesting read though, taken from the perspective of The Woman. Worth a read.
Kate Gardiner

Title is a misnomer. There is a historical flashback halfway through the book that is its saving grace. Wish the whole thing was that flashback period. Would have been arch better book.
Jana
Just not good enough to keep me focused and entertained. There were glimpses of what might have been good, but I couldn't endure it even as a light summer read.
Jo
A quick read, a bit cringy about the double life led by the wife having the affair. Some funny bits, but not really my cup of tea.
Sukanya
Deals brilliantly with the inticate subtleties of infidelity
Kresimir
Mavis Cheek "Seksualni život moje ujne", Profil, Zagreb
Jacqueline
Good, not as funny as Country life
Amanda
I was a little disappointed in the writing, in what otherwise was a great look at infidelity and families. Very English.
Hayley
Hayley is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Kelly Wakefield
Kelly Wakefield marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Lucija
Lucija added it
Apr 19, 2014
Born in Wimbledon, now part of London, Mavis left school at 16 to do office work with Editions Alecto, a Kensington publishing company. She later moved to the firm's gallery in Albemarle Street, where she met artists such as David Hockney, Allen Jones, Patrick Caulfield and Gillian Ayres. In 1969 she married a "childhood sweetheart", Chris Cheek, a physicist, whom she had met at a meeting of the Y...more
More about Mavis Cheek...
Amenable Women Mrs Fyttons Country Life Janice Gentle Gets Sexy Yesterday's Houses Aunt Margaret's Lover