Start by marking “The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1 (The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,238 ratings  ·  365 reviews
From hitRECord, the immensely popular open collaborative production company, and its founder, Golden Globe-nominated actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, comes The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 1.

The universe is not made of atoms; it's made of tiny stories.

Published December 6th 2011 by It Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1

Jenn
This is a fairly twee and in many ways adorable book produced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt's hitRECord open-collaborative creative arts company. The book's cover boasts that it features "67 contributors from the 8,569 contributions on the Tiny Stories collaboration on hitRECord.org." Contributions are both very, very tiny stories (never more than two sentences) and black-and-white hand drawings. The concept itself is to take online submissions, under online user names like wirrow (the main architect)...more
Lauren RM
Page-length stories that range from endearing to clever to heart-wrenching, all collaborations. I'm just a little bit in love.

I pre ordered it. I got it in the mail. I opened it. I read it instead of eating lunch. Then I tore up the box and stuffed the cardboard pieces into business reply envelopes from credit card offers so the companies have to give more money to the postal service. I'm excited about every step in this process!

Jasmine
Dec 30, 2011 Jasmine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: n-a
Okay I just read this book in 20 minutes, and I read it fully. it's micro stories and it deserves 5 stars.

1. the stories are freaking amazing, 2. the illustrations are freaking amazing, 3. you should read it, before or after you read mark hodder I'm not particular given it's shortness.

I was going to do this review like my other micro stories review but when I started marking stories I was marking every page so I was like "that's no good" so I was going to open to a random page and give you tha...more
Lisa
“The universe is not made up of atoms; it’s made up of tiny stories.”

It’s a great beginning to a very tiny book. The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 1 by hitRECord and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Actually, the great beginning was the end paper. It’s full of tiny drawings and all the detail and work that went into it are just amazing.

Then, there are the stories — they are truly tiny. Maybe a sentence or two, with a drawing to go with them. They are sad and funny and wonderful.

My favorite, which I have...more
Ti
The Short of It:

A short, snappy little book filled with creativity.

The Rest of It:

When I first heard about this little gem, I knew I had to read it for myself. HitRECord, founded by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun, Inception, 10 Things I Hate About You) reviewed contributions from thousands of writers and artists to create this collection. The stories are only one or two pages long. Some are humorous, some of thought-provoking but the real challenge here is telling a story in just on...more
Megan
"The universe is not made of atoms; it’s made of tiny stories.

To create The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 1, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, known within the hitRECord community as RegularJOE—directed thousands of collaborators to tell tiny stories through words and art. With the help of the entire creative collective, Gordon-Levitt culled, edited and curated over 8,500 contributions into this finely tuned collection of original art from 67 contributors. Reminiscent of the 6-Word Memoir series, The Ti...more
Jenny
Jan 22, 2012 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: other
I'll admit up front that part of the reason I wanted to review this is because it was associated with Joseph Gordon-Levitt who I love as an actor. But, also, the book sounded so unique. This book is essentially a compilation of the contributions to Gordon-Levitt's production company hitRECord where artists of all types tell tiny, but impactful, stories utilizing a combination of words and art.

The book is actually tiny and adorable. I read it as soon as it came in the mail, and it took me about 5...more
Man
I had very high expectations on this book, not because of the name printed on the front (Joseph Gordon-Levitt that is), but because I love the plain idea of a collaborate book consisting of works by different people. I genuinely believe this idea is a good way of sharing art, because it shows that the range of imagination is so vast. And the first sentence is just fantastic: "The universe is not made of atoms; it's made of tiny stories.

Although I didn't read the psysical book I did watch the rea...more
Elizabeth
If you enjoy storytelling and collaborative artforms, THE TINY BOOK OF TINY STORIES volume 1 is a treasure waiting to be discovered.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt (yes, the actor) is the director of hitRECord, an "open-collaborative production company," which encourages anyone to contribute "records" (creative content) that others can use in collaborative projects, some of which get produced and sold. They split profits 50/50 with contributors, and use their cut to finance more projects.

Their latest produ...more
Angelc
This tiny little book is so original and refreshing. I gobbled it down in one sitting, and I simply adored all of the thought provoking tiny stories and beautiful, quirky illustrations.

The most interesting part about the tiny stories is that you can really make up the rest of the story yourself. They all definitely have a beginning, middle, and end, but the rest of the story is up for interpretation. It really makes every one's experience of reading the stories different.

It may not take long to...more
Nik
Jul 24, 2013 Nik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nik by: Shreya
Shelves: favorites, cover-lust
I must start off by explaining that I adore JGL way too much for my own good. And thus may be absolutely biased in shooting off all the praise that I am about too.

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories is a collection of short illustrations depicting poignant, witty and endearing stories, sent in by people all over the world. It would take you hardly half an hour to read the book for the first time, but I feel it is a book one must keep coming back to, especially if you're reading it to a child.

A quick...more
Tamara
May 04, 2012 Tamara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tamara by: Becky
A hand-to-heart, breathless sigh kind of book.

I should start a "simple is best" bookshelf. (Nevermind, I just did.)

This is one where the pictures can't live without the text and the text can't live without the pictures because they make each other better.

Nonetheless, here are my Favorite Quotes...

In winter, when the leaves
have gone, the owls swoop in
to keep the trees warm.

If I read our story backwards,
it's about how I un-broke
your heart, and the we were
happy until one day, you
forgot about...more
Shreya
"The universe is not made of atoms; it's made of tiny stories."
This is the kind of book you would like to read during a rainy day,with a cup of tea by your side and an open mind ready to take in all the imagination possible. It is the book that you would read as your bedtime story.
Written by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and one of my favourite artist Wirrow,it teaches you that a story does not need to be long,to have hidden meanings to it.Definitely worth reading!
fennie
this collection of tiny stories with accompanying illustrations is the perfect little book. there's a feel-good quality to it and it's not just entertaining, it's clever and thought-provoking. one story may bring a smile to your face, while another might bring a smirk, still others make you reread what you've just read.

kudos to joseph gordon-levitt. he's the reason i bothered to buy this book and now i'm an even bigger fan.

my only gripe? too few pages!
Eyehavenofilter
Amazing funny, insightful, clever, side splitting, short quips, stories if you will, by JGL. Some of them are down right genius. There are some amazing line drawings that are brilliant, especially the self portrait that is dead on! If you want to read something thought provoking and really, really funny and sweet, this is just the little book for you.
You' ll be saying to your self" WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?" snickering to yourself.
Kaisa
I will admit that I bought this purely out of fangirly reasons.
But this book is adorable. Truly something I wish to keep in my nightstand.
Jeffrey West
This book is fun, cute, and a great collaboration between creative minds. I love it.
Kelly Hager
When I got the query letter that compared this to PostSecret and the Six Word Memoirs books, I knew this was a book I had to read, and I am so glad I did get that pitch. This book is magic.

I will admit that I have a complete obsession with books like that. I love small glimpses into people's lives and seeing things I completely relate to and things I don't understand at all. This book isn't exactly like that, but there are definite similarities. This is more like incredibly short stories (none l...more
Mackenzie
Dec 29, 2011 Mackenzie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of John Lennon's "In His Own Write"
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is not the first celebrity to have published a (non-autobiographical) book. John Lennon did it twice, James Franco has done it, Stephen Gately has done it and, next year, Chris Colfer will do it. But if publishing a work of fiction is some sort of competition, it is Gordon-Levitt who has the biggest chance of winning the race... simply because his efforts produce the most heartwarming effect at all.

Don't get it wrong - he didn't write the contents of the small book. (At leas...more
Natasha  A.
- That Mr. Gordon-Levitt isn't just a really pretty face. He's doing some spectacular things for the arts.
- That this book is VERY cute and is definitely going to be added to my SMILE books. What are smile books? These are the books that I grab when I need a smile.
- That I probably would still buy this book despite the cost of the book (I do think it is slightly overpriced for what you get - BUT it's currently on sale at Amazon.com [as of Jan 10, 2012]. You see part of the proceeds are split up...more
Joaquin Garza
Qué tramposo me siento de marcar esto en Goodreads, pero un libro es un libro. Aun si es uno de microcuentos que uno se echa en cinco minutos. Encantador, intimista, estrafalario, sincero, hipsterísimo (de esos libros que venden en Urban Outfitters) pero profundamente humano al final. Como para tenerlo en el buró y releerlo seguido.
jo mo
read in the thalia bookshop. pretty quick read, doesn't even take 3 minutes to finish from cover to cover.
although shelved as "short stories" they are not, not really anyway ... more like thoughts put to paper in the format of a (black and white) graphic/illustration in each case. some were nice. but the overall concept (text + illustrations) and final product of the book was neither outstanding nor memorable. rather forgettable actually.

but it's going to have its fair share of readers and fan...more
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

They almost fit in your palm..

They are full of clever quotes..sometimes sad, sometimes cute, sometimes funny..

They are full of sketches that make you think "why didn't I thought of this?"

They are beautiful..

Read again and again..

“Well, look who I ran into,"crowed Coincidence. "Please," flirted Fate, "this was meant to be.”

“The doctor's wife ate two apples a day, just to be safe. But her husband kept coming home.”
Yousra Serry
“One day before breakfast, an orange rolled off the counter and escaped its fate, bounding happily through the kitchen door. Filled with hope, the egg followed.”

This was so uniquely beautiful.
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
This book contained...SURPRISE! Tiny stories. They are no more than 5 liners, really but they were almost all poetic and cute - almost Shel Silvestein-esque. I like being priced at $17 CAN is daylight robbery but hey. It's a compilation of us, the people's work so I guess you'll be supporting artists everywhere. Not that I'm not trying to support less known artists or anything. I'm just a student who can't spare $17 so thank goodness for public libraries.

I've just noticed now that this is not so...more
Zoe
Es el primer libro que leo/escucho en inglés y lo ame.

Lo escuche/vi aquí --> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Albert  Gubler
Life is short: Fill it with as many beautiful stories as possible.
Hope
The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume I is a creative, charming compilation of 1-5 sentence stories, poems, and artwork. The dainty book features 67 of the more than 8500 contributions originally submitted for the volume. Some made me laugh, others made me pause and reflect, and I kept flipping back to certain illustrations just to savor them a little longer. My favorite tiny story:

One day before breakfast, an
orange rolled off the counter
and escaped its fate, bounding
happily through the kitchen
Jason Walker
I don't recall which amazon review recommended this book but it ended up on the "best" list for December. I bought it. I regret it. That was money for anything else. I do not enjoy or want the relationship between pencil drawings and writing to be in book form. I like cartoons in the newspaper and I love Russel Edson which might seem antithetical to my argument here, but this book is junk and I am not sure I will contribute to the project at all.
  • Missed Connections: Love, Lost & Found
  • Girl Reading
  • Everything Is Going to Be OK
  • Paris versus New York: A Tally of Two Cities
  • Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout
  • The Art of Tim Burton (Standard Edition)
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak: by Writers Famous and Obscure
  • Mapping Manhattan: A Love (And Sometimes Hate) Story in Maps by 75 New Yorkers
  • The Inner City
  • The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits, #1)
  • The Conference of the Birds
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an American actor whose career as both a child and adult has included television series and theatrical films.

He is known for his roles in the 2009 indie (500) Days of Summer (for which he earned a Golden Globe nomination), a supporting role in the 2010 science fiction film Inception, and for starring in the 2011 drama 50/50. Beginning in commercials as a young child, he mad...more
More about Joseph Gordon-Levitt...
The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 2 The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 3 The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories 2010 RECollection, Vol. 1 Tiny Book of Tiny Stories Volume 1-3 15c MXD Carton

“His hands were weak and shaking from carrying far too many books from the bookshop. It was the best feeling.” 214 likes
“The sun is such a lonely star. Whenever he comes out to see his friends, they all disappear.” 168 likes