Start by marking “Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  63,030 Ratings  ·  2,338 Reviews
"I want to do things...."

Take one bored princess. Maker her the seventh daughter in a very proper royal family. Have her run away.

Add one powerful, fascinating, dangerous dragon.

Princess Cimorene has never met anyone (or anything) like the dragon Kazul. But then, she's never met a witch, a jinn, a death-dealing talking bird, or a stone prince either.

Princess Cimorene ran
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published April 11th 2006 by Listening Library (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Dragons, please sign up.

dollum I read it as an adult and then to elementary students. People familiar with classic fairytales will find it delightful. Nicely written too, something…moreI read it as an adult and then to elementary students. People familiar with classic fairytales will find it delightful. Nicely written too, something a more mature reader will appreciate. I absolutely love the first paragraph :) Many charming characters and the dragon-lore was interesting too.(less)

Khanh (the Grinch)
"He doesn't seem very impressed," Cimorene commented in some amusement.
"Why should he be?" Kazul said.
"Well, you're a dragon," Cimorene answered, a little taken aback.
"What difference does that make to a cat?"
Before Harry Potter, there was Princess Cimorene, a dragon named Kazul, and the Enchanted Forest. I am no longer a 11-year old girl. I am a grown-ass woman, and I still love this book as much as I did the first time I read it.

Share this book with your sisters, your daughters, your nieces.
Jubilation Lee
I was organizing my childhood bedroom over the weekend and ended up getting nothing done, because I found my old copy of Dealing With Dragons and CLEARLY had to sprawl on the floor re-reading it to find out if it’s as amazing as I remembered.

It… it might actually be more amazing, friends.

Because while I had remembered all the Action and Excitement and also Dragons and Melting The Shit Out Of Wizards With Cleaning Products, apparently little pre-teen me had missed all the underlying positive femi
Keith
Jul 01, 2009 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. My daughter read them when she was at the point where reading changes from being work to being fun. So it was one of the first "serious" books (> 100 pages and no pictures) that she read on her own for pleasure. First my wife read the series aloud to her. Then she read them all to herself. Then she read this book out loud to me.

The story is told from the point of view of Princess Cimorene. She's a curious, intelligent girl who hates t
Bobby
Jun 11, 2008 Bobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I would place this book somewhere between The Ordinary Princess and the Harry Potter series in terms of complexity of plot, age appropriateness and the amount of fun I had reading it. I really enjoyed reading this book and likely would have given it 5 stars if I had read it at a younger age (say at the age of 8 years or so). As it is, after Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, it's hard to give this book 5 stars. Having said that, this is a very interesting story of a Princess who detests traditi ...more
Sanaa
[5.0 Stars] Re-Read 2016
I adore this book. I always will! It was one of my favorites series growing up and still is to this day! I implore you all to check it out!
Michelle
Aug 30, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the wonderful ladies out there whose dying for innocent childlike humor
Shelves:
This is my happy book. I read it when I was in middle school and I love it because its not your average fairy tale. Yes you have princess's and prince's and yes you have dragons and wizards and magic but it's not exactly like the common tale of where the prince slays the dragon with the wizard to help him act clever to save the damsel in distress and or princess. No no it's more of the princess becomes friends with a dragon and when a prince comes and saves her she tells them to go away.

Sick and
Cassandra
I picked up this book after seeing it featured in A Mighty Girl's excellent list of kick-ass Princess books, and thought it might make a good Christmas gift for a fantasy-loving little sister.

Of course I had to read it first, the way you have to taste the cookie dough, to make sure it's just right. And of course, Little Sister caught me at it.

"What's that?"
"A book I'm reading."
She executes a perfect pre-teen exasperated sigh-and-eye-roll. "I KNOW it's a book. What's it about?"
I decide to test
Tanis
Oct 16, 2008 Tanis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at the library and I was so excited because I read it a couple of times when I was younger, in 4th or 5th grade I think. So it's a kid's book but it is so much fun. Great fantasy and tons of humor. You can't help but laugh, at least I couldn't! Funny story related to this book. Back when I first read this, when I was younger, like I said, I had a friend my age who also read it. Well, she and I happened to have some little plastic toy dragons and wizards and we'd use them to act ...more
Ahmed Ejaz
How will you describe a book which entertains you in every chapter?
Well, this will be my first review about that kind of book.

MY FEELINGS FOR THIS BOOK
Before Reading This Book:
I was unaware of dragons, wizards, witches, giants and jinns (I think I am still unaware of giants and jinns but not anymore after reading the whole series) So, it's obvious I didn't know how they look like Or what are their abilities?
After Reading This Book:
I thought "I chose to read books and I didn't even know any m
Jarrah
YA comic fantasy. Book 1 of the Enchanted Forest series. Cimorene is not a proper princess. She learns fencing, cooking and magic, and when she discovers her proposed marriage, she runs away to offer herself to a dragon. She's been told that they like to keep princesses, and she thinks that this is one princessly thing that she could possibly do.

This was charming, but light on substance. It may have been more original when it was written, but it feels derivative now. Fairy tales are powerful tex
Miss M
Jan 04, 2009 Miss M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm re-reading this fantastic series that I fell in love when I was a kid. It's a great story about a princess who thinks being a princess is incredibly boring. Etiquette and dancing lessons all day? She would much rather learn fencing or magic, thank you very much! But that just isn't done. So she runs away and volunteers to become a dragon's princess (A vocation which is usually only acquired when one is captured by a dragon).

This book has a great female protagonist, lots of humor, and puts a
Lau
Mar 18, 2016 Lau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lau by: Goodread's Readers Also Enjoyed
Hacen falta más princesas como Cimorene. Además de que sea un libro divertidísimo, original, lleno de humor inocente y bastante irreverente con los cuentos de hadas, Cimorene es realmente mi tipo de princesa.

Basta de damicelas débiles que esperan ser rescatadas. Ella, harta de la aburridísima vida de palacio y clases de bordado, siguiendo el "consejo" de un sapo que habla, decide escaparse e irse a vivir con un grupo de dragones.
Cimorene no es sumisa, ni recatada... ni rubia. Es la única de tod
Sara Saif
Jun 14, 2016 Sara Saif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Headstrong people, dragon-maniacs, fairytale lovers
One word: Perfecto!

This was just splendid! I was enchanted from the very first paragraph, I ain’t even kidding. I found myself loving it more and more with every page. It was as lovely as Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle series which I’m very fond of. I’ll devour anything that has the word “Dragon” in it which is why I read it. This time I read the blurb but it doesn’t so much as give a hint as to how wonderful this book really is.

It’s set in a world filled with all sorts of fairytale ele
Boris
Aug 23, 2015 Boris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when you're a princess and the etiquette lessons are boring the living hell out of you?
What if embroidering, a passtime considered highly suitable for princesses, isn't exactly your cup of tea?
When you're not allowed to learn fencing (because it's not done)?
When they don't let you learn magic (because it's not done)?
When you find out your parents arranged a wedding with a more than handsome but rather dim prince from your nextdoor kingdom and you don't agree with these kind of pro
Kat  Hooper
Dec 04, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Princess Cimorene is tired of embroidery, etiquette, and protocol classes. She wants to take Latin, fencing, magic, and cooking lessons instead. But, that's just "not done." So to avoid a betrothal to a handsome and charming (but not particularly bright) prince, she runs away to become housekeeper for a dragon. As a dragon's princess, Cimorene gets the freedom to cook and clean and to organize libraries and treasure rooms. She also has to fend off persiste
MacK
Jan 14, 2013 MacK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost every story you read has some root in a story that was already told. The familiar notes of mythology and fairy tales appear again and again in literature, but in those books that start with a familiar structure and then leap into unexpected there’s something special to be found.

That’s what I thought as I sped my way through Dealing With Dragons a local favorite here in Minnesota, and one that my wife Kristina loved when she was young. But this is not simply a childhood favorite, it’s a ge
Susie
So, this was one of the first dragon books I ever read, back when I was about 14. I absolutely loved it! It lead to me using the nickname "Dragonsbane". I fear revisiting it now might leave me less amused, but at that age, even though I was already reading more complicated books, it was just about right in tone, bordering those days between girliness and rebelious adult.
Kaethe
2004 or 2005
October 6, 2007

Currently reading aloud to the Possum - She's decided to carry on on her own in favor of me reading The Mysterious Howling. Well, I can't blame her. That's also a good one.

July 20, 2014

I originally read this series out loud to the girls when they were wee. Going back, I didn't recall much except that we had all enjoyed them. Some of the things I had forgotten: that Cimorene had studied fencing and Latin and that she was unusually tall, all now true of the eldest daught
Jocelyn
I'm really getting hooked onto the girl+dragon concept. Coincidentally, it tends to work out a lot better than the boy+dragon concept. Not trying to be sexist or anything, but it's kind of true; both this and Dragon Slippers absolutely crushes derivative, pompous works like Eragon by a landslide.

Full review to come, if I can manage to stop smirking.
Luz Balthasaar
Bacaan ringan buat nyelingin Supernova Marathon. Sebetulnya 4 bintang, tapi tapi tapi . . . yea. Satu bintang itu jelas-jelas subyektif.

Saia emang jarang baca middle grade, tapi gara-gara satu buku MG tertentu (petunjuk: nama serinya juga bisa disingkat MG, dan nama pengarangnya CC), saia jadi gumbira menemukan buku yang pasarnya MG tapi nggak dumbed down kayak buku itu.

Saia nggak mau sop iler banyak soal buku ini. Yang jelas di dalamnya ada:

-Naga makan chocolate mousse
-Melelehkan penyihir de
Beth
Feb 07, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I remember loving this book ten years ago. It's funny how my reaction has become more complicated. This reread, I kept thinking of Melissa's comments about Raisa and femininity in her review of The Demon King.

And yet is Dealing with Dragons really a rejection of traditional femininity? I'm not sure. True, Cimorene finds her entire life boring and hateful, and runs away and finds herself an interesting, exciting new life. But she's not rejecting femininity, really. In fact, she's doing many more
Gary Butler
Nov 17, 2014 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
73rd book read in 2014.

Number 124 out of 416 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Swankivy
Aug 19, 2008 Swankivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was told I'd like this because it's kind of untraditional, but it's untraditional in a totally traditional way. Rebelling inside the pen, if you will. It was cute anyway.
Jen  (Today in Jen's Library)
Very, very clever - reminiscent of The Chronicles of Narnia in the way it is written.
Noella
Cimorene is the princess of Linderwall but she doesn't feel like she belongs in the kingdom. She's bored at embroidery and all the other aspects that come with being a princess. When Cimorene hears the news that she is to be engaged, she tries to call it off directly with the prince but fails. So the next thing she does is run away from the castle and live with dragons. Life is much more interesting being a dragon's princess!

It was really amusing how this book dismissed all the cliches and put
Christine Smith
Dec 29, 2013 Christine Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
I loved this book.

It's again one for pre-teens. It's got such an amazing story line and I couldn't get enough of this. I'll be definitely reading the rest of the series.

The story starts with a very tomboyish princess, called Cimorene, who reminds me off....

description

She decided to get away from everything and ran away, that's when Kazul captured her.

description

Chimorene reach out to her kidnapper and befriended him, and ended up not wanting to be rescued.

The evil villain in this story is a wizard, and as I don't li
Alana
Aug 30, 2010 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Patricia C. Wrede when I was ten or eleven years old after stumbling upon Dealing with Dragons on the bookstore shelf. Having recently started reading YA fantasy novels (aka having only read Tamora Pierce), Wrede represented a lighter, wittier strand of fantasy that made her books a quickly-devoured delight and I was only sorry not to have more of them. This particular series features a strong female lead named Princess Cimorene (well, leads if one counts Kazul, the female dragon) w ...more
Ann
I didn't read this when it was "all the rage" in the early '90s when it was published, so I was curious to see how much I'd like it all these years later and coming to it as an adult. Turns out, I liked it quite a lot!

I think the concept is delightful: In a world where princesses are constantly being rescued from dragons by princes (and consequently married to said princes), Cimorene is a princess who *chooses* to go work for a dragon -- and not because she wants to be rescued by a prince, but b
Elevetha
Book 1 of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Funny and well-written, this one, though the main protagonist is a girl, can certainly be enjoyed by both young men and women alike. The princess Cimorene is bored and more bored at the castle by her princessy duties and refinement. So she runs off into the forest and ends up living with and keeping house for a dragon even though Kazul didn't want her. Princes from kingdoms all over race to rescue her from the horrid beast. Cimorene sends them away. She ...more
Katherine
Jak zvláštní, že čím jsem starší, tím víc oceňuji .. pohádkové příběhy.
Mají svoje kouzlo.
To nepopřete.

Cimorene je nejlepší princezna všech dob.
Proč?
Dělá, co princezny nedělají.
Ovládá základy latiny, kouzel, rytířského umění a dokáže připravit delikátní horké maliny.
Ale zato absolutně nesnáší naduté prince, lekce vyšívání a etiketu. Je to nuda. Chápu.

Princezna dobrovolně v dračích službách?
SKANDÁL!
Jsem si jistá, že kdyby v Linderwallu měli Blesk, její extra nevhodné chování by se tam objevovalo
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • A Hidden Magic
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Ordinary Princess
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)

“Well,” said the frog, “what are you going to do about it?”

“Marrying Therandil? I don’t know. I’ve tried talking to my parents, but they won’t listen, and neither will Therandil.”

“I didn’t ask what you’d said about it,” the frog snapped. “I asked what you’re going to do. Nine times out of ten, talking is a way of avoiding doing things.”
189 likes