Start by marking “The Boy Who Went to War: The Story of a Reluctant German Soldier in WWII” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Went to War: The Story of a Reluctant German Soldier in WWII

The Boy Who Went to War: The Story of a Reluctant German Soldier in WWII

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A powerful and true story of warfare and human survival that exposes a side of World War II that is unknown by many— this is the story of Wolfram Aïchele, a boy whose childhood was stolen by a war in which he had no choice but to fight.Giles Milton has been a writer and historian for many years, writing about people and places that history has forgotten. But it took his yo...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Went to War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Went to War

Karl
I have probably given all of Giles Milton's books five star ratings due to the fact he happens to be one of my favorite authors. This is the latest book by the English writer and historian. It is the story of his father-in-law Wolfram Aichele who was a German conscript during the second world war. Today, he is eighty-six and lives in Paris. He survived both the eastern and western fronts and was a prisoner-of-war. The story is so well-told and intriging from the standpoint of a young reluctant c...more
Elgin
This was outstanding and I recommend it to everyone. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed "Wolfram: The Boy Who Went to War." This book was the (fortunate) product of an experienced writer (Giles Milton) with a German father-in-law (Wolfram Aichele) who fought for the Third Reich in WWII. This is Wolfgang's story, from his boyhood in a small German community to his conscription to fight on the Russian front and in Nomandy, to his capture and time as a prisoner of war in the US. The book focuses...more
David Lowther
The Boy who went to war is one of the finest true stories about how ordinary Germans coped with the rise of Nazism and the second world war.

The author traces Wolfram's childhood in a happy artistic home in South West Germany (near the Black Forest)and, with some small cultural difference, this is no different from most countries in Western Europe. The creeping menace of Nazism is illustrated not with innocent people being dragged off to concentration camps but with the growing control of people'...more
Kathleen McRae
Wolfram was an excellent read. It was an interesting look at WW11 from the perspective of Germans who were not Nazis but caught up in the ghastly reality that their country had become. Wolfram was not a warrior and had he been allowed would probably have been a conscientious objecter.The other interesting thing brought out during Wolfram's story is how much a government can hide from people. America spun its own propaganda and its motives were sometimes as deep and dark as Nazi Germany.
Peter
I really liked this book as it gave me a different perspective of WW2 from a German point of view. It read a bit like a straight account of a true story which I don't always like but this held me interest throughout. Do read.
Ian
I really enjoyed this book because its a real story that is not an american point of view on WW2. I say this because only the german soldiers that were nazis were actually nazis, the other "nazi army" soldiers were forced to fight with Hitler. Wolfram was one of these soldiers that didn't have choice and was frowned upon just because he had to. The story of his WW2 experience really is amazing, how he was saved from becoming sick, and how the americans treated him in the pow camp (good not bad)....more
Kathy
Great book with a wonderful but sad story abou people living in Germany before and during Hitlers reign. I enjoy to read about this period but feel so badly that people had to be hungry and scared every day of their lives. Makes me appreciate my own that much more....
Carol Ann
Don't let this story slip away. If you have read dozens of concentration camp survivor stories you must read this book. It deals with an artistic peaceloving family caught up in Nazi Germany. It gives a balanced look at suburban life for the average German family. The author Giles Milton tells the story of his father-in-law from youngster to well accepted artist. This book could use a little more editorship and polishing, but the story itself will carry you through.
Taylor
Brilliant, insightfull. Many times I stopped reading just to collect myself. Left me with a deep sense of appreciation of the current peace we enjoy, the price paid and just the lives lost and the lives that were disturbed. Very educational especially about the world and what it looked like pre, during and post world war 2. It was an honest account, nothing heroic but something really exceptional.
Peggy Sinden
This a tremendous account of history behind the German lines toward World War II and beyond. Some of the information was tough to read from the American side. I had to step back to a time when I was too small to remember. I do remember the times my grandmother would sit and worry about her son being gone for four years just as Marie-Charlotte would worry about Wolfram. War touches us all.
Linda
This book gave an insiders view of WWII. Enjoyed that it was written about a German boy/young adult and his first hand experiences growing up during Hitler's rise to power and then during the war. Not really a story as much of a collection of experiences from Wolfram's point of view and that of his parents, and his wife's parents experiences.
Anne
This book was actually 3.5 stars - an interesting account of WWII that shared a lot of how many Germans viewed the war and especially those who were no pro-Nazi or pro-Hitler. In the end, Wolfram did have to go to war but by luck/coincidence/act of God, he survived to tell his story to his son-in-law who authored this book.
Piotr
4,5 gwiazdki, bo GM napisal kilka innych ksiazek na 5. Bardzo ciekawa i nietypowa historia rodzinna. Rodziny ktora miala bardzo duzo szczescia, ze po prostu zyla "obok", bardziej i mniej doslownie. GM jednak wie wiecej i bardzo uczciwie te swoje trzy grosze dopisuje.
Neil
Another fascinating story by Giles. He is one of my favourite authors, i can never put his books down and this was no different. I was a bit surprised to find Wolfram is his father in law, but non the less a fitting tribute.
Neeka27
Amazing that after all of the WW2 books I've read this book gave me information about the war I had never heard before...
Andrew Tunstall
A wonderful book that speaks powerfully to how important the freedoms of thought and speech are to maintaining our humanity
Jane
WWI! from the point of view of a young German artist, Wolfram Aichele. The takeaway: in war, everyone suffers.
Christopher Atkinson
Again Milton tells the other side of the story, all the better for being close to the authors heart!
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Paul Cheney
Paul Cheney marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 15, 2014
Nicholas Cottrell
Nicholas Cottrell marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
British writer and journalist Giles Milton was born in Buckinghamshire in 1966. He has contributed articles for most of the British national newspapers as well as many foreign publications, and specializes in the history of travel and exploration. In the course of his researches, he has traveled extensively in Europe, the Middle East, Japan and the Far East, and the Americas.

Knowledgeable, insati...more
More about Giles Milton...
Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened Japan Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America White Gold: The Extraordinary Story of Thomas Pellow and North Africa's One Million European Slaves Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue, and Cheese