Start by marking “Twenty Four Hours a Day” as Want to Read:
Twenty Four Hours a Day

Twenty Four Hours a Day

Since 1954, Twenty-Four Hours a Day has become a stable force in the recovery of many alcoholics throughout the world. With over nine million copies in print (the original text has been revised), this "little black book" offers daily thoughts, meditations, and prayers for living a clean and sober life. A spiritual resource with practical applications to fit our daily lives ...more
Published January 1st 1954 by Hazelden

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Four Hours a Day, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Known as 'the little black book' among AA folks, this is a daily reader. Many read a passage every morning & contemplate it through the day. I did so for a couple of years. While it definitely has a Christian bias, it strives to leave religion out & concentrate on spirituality.

It starts off with a wonderful Sanskrit proverb:

Look to this day,
For it is life,
The very life of life.
In its brief course lie all
The realities and verities of existence,
The bliss of growth,
The splendor of action,
T
Ray A.
Apr 11, 2015 Ray A. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those in recovery.
The Little Black Book: A Review of Twenty-Four Hours a Day

At the time of its publication, Twenty-four Hours a Day filled a spiritual vacuum among recovering alcoholics. Step 11 in Alcoholics Anonymous called for daily prayer and meditation, but it had left no detailed instructions for how to practice these disciplines. Instead, the Big Book (BB) suggested one memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles it discusses and seek further advice from one’s priest, minister, or rabbi.

That
Kim A Paper Addict
Apr 14, 2010 Kim A Paper Addict rated it it was amazing
I love this little book! It is one of the tools I have used to save my life.
Denise Diehl
Jan 09, 2016 Denise Diehl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I must read for anyone in recovery . There are many different variations of this book to choose from , if you are struggling I suggest reading it . This is a book that you keep with you always and read daily !
Colin
I rated Twenty-Four Hours a Day 5 stars because of the help if offers me in my recovery; even on my busiest days, for a few moments each night, I can quietly read and meditate on the next day's entry (that I can sleep on and hear again, if I attend a morning meeting).

Being published in 1954, this book is naturally steeped in Christianity. Still, I am able to adapt the majority of it to my Higher Power (the Tao); what I can't, I leave behind. And for a book of simplistic writing, there are some
A. Athanor
Jan 21, 2016 A. Athanor rated it it was amazing
A wonderful daily reader for those in recovery helped me to sort out countless character defects and living problems. Essential reading for those in early recovery.
Kathy
Dec 13, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Never miss a day and never miss an answer. May take a few times reading the same page or skip a few, but my answer always comes.
Radosevicham
Jun 24, 2016 Radosevicham rated it it was amazing
Great daily meditation for alcoholics-- & truth be told, for the rest of us, too!
Vicki Allen
Mar 26, 2016 Vicki Allen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one seeking recovery
Shelves: faith, meditations
Started reading this book daily and continue to most everyday.
Foxtower
Jan 25, 2013 Foxtower rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Gee, I haven't looked at this in years. I used it daily for a while as a "wanna-be" drunk, because there was a program for drunks and maybe if I was a drunk I could be cured! OH well, there's no cure for being me, but I admire how the program can help many people and little things like this daily meditation book made a big difference in the road to recovery for many of the people I knew back then.

Now if I could find a daily meditation that offers some relief from being me.....
Mitch S
Aug 04, 2014 Mitch S rated it did not like it
While this is a nice tool to facilitate conversation and open up quiet people, I found the anecdotes repetitive. Some days the "manual" stays away from religious talk, other times its like the popes itinerary. If they worked in some more specific entries and more interesting examples I would've been more involved. This book is utter shit. Avoid like plauge.
Brad Coffey
Jul 08, 2016 Brad Coffey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been a primary morning reader for me for years and years. Part of the reason is the simple daily prayer and also because of the author's orientation to the Oxford Group.
Chuck Oleary
Apr 28, 2013 Chuck Oleary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-read
At my first AA meeting, a member gave me this book. I have been reading it daily. In June I will celebrate 7 years sobriety, thanks to AA.aa
Lynda
Jun 03, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing
The first and still the most prominent meditation book used by 12 step programs. Hardcore and timeless recover wisdom.
Kathryn
Oct 28, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recovery
This is a daily reader and never gets old. Even with years in the program I still take something away from it each day.
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Janis
Janis rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
oakenmoose
oakenmoose marked it as to-read
Michael Bagby
Michael Bagby is currently reading it
D'Andra
D'Andra marked it as to-read
Jonathan Barnes
Jonathan Barnes is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Erica Naughton
Erica Naughton rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Barbie Barnhouse
Barbie Barnhouse rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Dan Ullman
Dan Ullman rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Tania Shavor
Tania Shavor rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Su Be
Su Be rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
michael goldstein
michael goldstein is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Richard Le
Richard Le marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
  • The Little Red Book (AA)
  • Daily Reflections: A Book of Reflections by AA Members for AA Members/B-12
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • Hope for Today
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • Through the Year with Pope Francis: Daily Reflections
  • Daily Reflections For Highly Effective People : Living The 7 Habits Of Highly Successful People Every Day
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction
  • Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food
  • Staying Sober: A Guide for Relapse Prevention- Based Upon the CENAPS Model of Treatment
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“I pray that I may strengthen my inner life, so that I may find serenity. I pray that my soul may be restored in quietness and peace.” 0 likes
“Meditation for the Day “He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends the rain on the just and the unjust.” God does not interfere with the working of natural laws. The laws of nature are unchangeable, otherwise we could not depend on them. As far as natural laws are concerned, God makes no distinction between good and bad people. Sickness or death may strike anywhere. But spiritual laws are also made to be obeyed. Our choice of good or evil depends on whether we go upward to true success and victory in life or downward to loss and defeat. Prayer for the Day I pray that I may choose today the way of the spiritual life. I pray that I may live today with faith and hope and love.” 0 likes