Start by marking “Stealing Some Time: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Stealing Some Time: Volume 1

Stealing Some Time: Volume 1 (Stealing Some Time #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Winner of the 2004 Stonewall Society Imagination Literary Award for best gay-themed science fiction. "It is 2479 AD. Technical Sergeant Kallen Deshara and his team have traveled from the 25th century to the 19th. Their mission: to eliminate powerful ion storms caused by the very device that opened the portal to the past. If they don't succeed, their present may cease to ex ...more
Published April 17th 2003 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Some Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Some Time

This was my first gay science fiction novel, and I must admit that it took me a while to get into it, but it was definitely worth it! I enjoyed the author's take on global warming, gay rights, and his take on religion. I really enjoy Mark's novels, and while I did enjoy this science fiction novel, I hope he returns to regular fiction soon. I really enjoyed the world Mark created and it was obvious that he vigorously researched everything to make his world and technology as realistic and fact-bas ...more
Jun 09, 2011 Lola is currently reading it
too much sex and too much extraneous details that no one cares about...
SlashReaders: When I originally started reading Mark Kendrick's work it was back in 2004. I have fond memories of reading this series as well as some of his other books. In fact here are a few of the comments I had in my originally review: I enjoyed reading these for the most part. One of the things I noticed in this series and with his other books as that sometimes when dealing with emotions is rather unbelievable.

But even the magic later is quiet well done and fairly believable. As for the sc
Alex Alden
It's really dry reading. The author just keeps shoving information at you, which makes for a tedious, long, boring read. Especially at the beginning, it really felt like reading a textbook. The prologue is one long info-dump and is definitely not a good hook for the story.

Very boring; won't read further.
A great time travel story that goes the distance. By that I mean that the loose ends of the story get nicely explained in book 2, stretching over a large time frame. It's hard to find a nice science fiction story with a gay protagonist, and this is one of them. Just watch out for the abysmal editing job done in this book - numerous typos and grammatical mistakes that make this a bit tedious to read. This is really too bad, since I liked the story so much.
Becky Black
I made it to page 99 of this and couldn't muster up enough interest even to make it the round 100. I'm afraid it's just dull. The writing is flat and it could have done with some more proof reading, I spotted a few mistakes. I didn't latch on to any of the characters and want to see how things worked out for them. Not recommended.
Galen Dudec
I love Sci-Fi and especially Sci-Fi with a gay/MM subplot. Unfortunately there are not many of those around in which the science part is creditable and well described, but this is one of them.
I like this Sci-Fi romance and would have given it 5 stars if it hadn't been moving along rather slowly in some parts.
Vol 1 of 2.
I devoure books like these, the emotional twists, the last half of the second book is worth trudging through some of the excessive dialogue. Dystopian, alt reality, SF. I was wishing there was more about kallen's later life. But it was handled well.
I feel like part one and part two ought to have been combined and condensed. The pacing was too slow, especially in part one. Part two brought in the time travel and the story cheered up quite a bit.
Dec 01, 2014 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young homos, scifi fans
Shelves: finished, gay
This book takes place in the future.. not really my deal, but it's pretty good to get through. The ending is a cliffhanger, so I'd recommend getting the sequel at the same time. It's worthwhile.

I loved it. I can't give it five stars because I know it's not great fiction, it's like the salad at the Olive Garden, I like it.
Alex S.
Alex S. marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Akasha Elfwitch
Akasha Elfwitch marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Darren Grainger
Darren Grainger marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Jaya marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kristina marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Nana marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Mark Seares
Mark Seares marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Tex Reader
Tex Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
(Mark Ian Kendrick)

I wish I could say I come from a long line of creative types, that creative endeavors were encouraged, that creativity was a hallmark of my family. Alas, I'm the outcast... and DAMN proud of it.

In fact, I'm the only gay member of my family on both sides for generations. I know. I did our family's genealogy on computer a decade ago just to find the others. No gays. No painters.
More about Mark Kendrick...

Stealing Some Time (2 books)
  • Stealing Some Time: Volume 2