Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)

Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  3,189 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Book jacket: In the time of the Han Dynasty in ancient China, a young orphan struggles to fulfill her destiny. Ping has survived her days as a slave at Huangling Palace, but new challenges await her in the desolate mountains of Tai Shan. The wise dragon, Danzi, is no longer around to guide her, and now it is up to Ping to take care of the baby dragon, Kai. Food is scarce,...more
Published 2007 by Macmillan LTD (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Garden of the Purple Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden of the Purple Dragon

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
225th out of 784 books — 1,510 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
263rd out of 1,219 books — 394 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie
Ping is on another adventure but this one is a bit different with dragon sized problems, old enemies and maybe some new ones. Poor Ping. She is just so lonely in the beginning of the book. We start off the book with Ping alone with Kai, the small purple dragon. Trying to raise a dragon all by yourself without knowing for certain how to do it is a tall order to ask of a young girl. Needless to say Ping is struggling and when she stumbles onto the chance to regain most of what she lost at the end...more
Book Elf
Pages: 349
Series : Sequel to Dragon Keeper

Ping was the Dragon Keeper to the old Imperial Dragon Danzi but she had helped him escape. She was made the last Dragon Keeper and sworn to keep the baby dragon safe, but was caught by the Imperial soldiers. Now, her destiny was questioned. She knew that all the Keepers were male and this led to doubt her appointment. She even sever the post for a boy she thought was the real Dragon Keeper. Will she surrender the Dragon to the Emperor and stay away from...more
Mirrani
Garden of the Purple Dragon wasn't as deeply rooted in dragon culture as the first book in this series, Dragon Keeper, had been, but it was still a wonderful read for me. I simply could not put this book down. The author must have spent countless hours researching the culture of China and all of the myth and legend surrounding the dragon in order to continue this series, because there is not a moment that has slacked in this aspect in any way.

I wasn't as pleased with Ping in this book, perhaps b...more
Larashi
dragon is always be my obsession. and this book revealed all the secrets. i love how Ping and Kai travelled and fighting together, the power of dragon suits really fit this novel.
Elise P
This book was exceptionally brilliant. The story of main character Ping is compelling, her development through out the series is inspiring.

Carole Wilkinson's writing is writing at its best, the content is rich and very well researched and the mythology very believable compared to a lot of 'popular' books books on the market these days. (you all know the story i'm talking about :P)

In the beginning of this book Ping is living on the mountains of Tai Shan which pretty much is forbidden, so she figu...more
Nina
I try to read my daughters books either before or with her so we can talk about the content or to make sure it doesnt have content not okay for her to read. She will be starting 4th grade next year but reads at a junior high school level. These two books by Carole Wilkinson are a very easy read for her but the content was fun and exiting. Both books are over 300 pages. I enjoyed them.
Cydni
i loved this book i really felt like i was there back in china in those times oing the main character as a girl was very responsible and made me feel like i wish i was more like her
Taylor
Oct 22, 2010 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you want to read it then read it
Recommended to Taylor by: my best friend
I read this book more than two years ago, so I don't really remeber much on it but all I know is that this series is addicting and full of twisted advernture!
Jo
Being responsible for someone else's life is a very daunting task. Overcoming trials and tribulation; facing betrayal and heartaches, a dragon keepers'life is never easy but who does? It's the attitude while facing various situations that counts and knowing for a fact that we've done and decide the best during that critical moment is what is most important. Learning to listen to our inner voice and trust it. Life is never easy, we can only move forward and see it to the end. Learning not to be j...more
shanah
This is the 2nd book, here Ping not with Danzi anymore but with Danzi babies, Kai.That becoming grow up....and also Ping can get heard what Kai said. They can talking each other like her with Danzi.

One day, the imperial guards found them from hiding on mountain. And took them to met with Emperor, Liu Che was Ping's friend.
They get safe place on that castle. And Liu Che give named one of the garden with "Garden of the Purple Dragon. Like color skin of Kai.

Here, Ping have to looking her self how t...more
After her realization that her friend left a little surprise, the main characters responsibility now is to seek refuge for both her and her new companion. Along the tough roads of being a dragon keeper, the main character experiences the difficulties of raising a new friend as well as being its protector. Sticking to the ropes that her old friend taught her, the main character does what she can to stay out of trouble.

I thought this book was quite interesting. It captured the essence of adventure...more
cindy
Berbeda dengan Dragon Keeper yang sangat simpel, sequelnya ini lebih kompleks dan menarik. Karakter-karakternya sudah tidak lagi hitam-putih, dan Ping banyak belajar tentang kebohongan dan pengkhianatan, tentang keinginan-keinginan yang saling bertolak belakang dan juga tentang rasa cemburu. Emosi-emosi yang tidak pernah dikenalnya dalam hidupnya yang lurus dan sederhana.

Menyambung alur kisah beberapa saat setelah Danzi dan Hua pergi ke Pulau Penuh Berkah, Ping memutuskan untuk membesarkan Kai -...more
Elketw
Category: Books
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy
Author: Carole Wilkinson

Ketika bersembunyi di pegunungan Tai Shan bersama bayi naga ungu, Ping ditemukan oleh pengawal Kaisar dan dibawa ke Pondok Ming Yang. Sejak saat itu dia tinggal di Pondok tersebut, merawat Kaisi bayi nagadan mendapatkan kembali jabatan sebagai Pengurus Naga Kekaisaran. Kaisar mendirikan Garden of the Purple Dragon di Ming Yang, sebagai rumah bagi naga kaisar yang terakhir.

Saat Ping mulai terhanyut pada kehidupan yang...more
Dec 03, 2007 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-7
Shelves: children-fantasy
Ping tries hiding in the mountains with her baby dragon Kai but they are soon discovered by the imperial guards. The new young emperor Liu Che has been searching for the baby dragon ever since the old one disappeared (whose name was Danzi), and now he has what he has been desiring. However, Ping has one thing in her favor—she and Liu Che have gotten along in the past, so he decides to be kind to her again and gives her the position of Imperial Dragon Keeper. With this position she is able to be...more
Buchdoktor
"Die Hüterin des Drachen", das Mädchen Ping, hatte den Drachen Danzi gepflegt und unter großen Gefahren auf die Insel der Seeligen in Sicherheit vor Drachenjägern gebracht. Nun haust sie mit einem stets hungrigen Drachenbaby im Tai Shan-Gebirge. Der kleine Long Kai Duan ist noch nicht höhlenrein und muss erst lernen, sein Futter selbst zu jagen. Hätte Danzi doch Ping rechtzeitig beigebracht, wie sie ein Drachenbaby aufziehen soll! Ping kann mit Drachen kommunizieren und hat einen sicheren Instin...more
Jordan Arnold
Dec 12, 2007 Jordan Arnold rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 11-13 year olds
I think that this is one of the best books i've ever read. it is alot better then the first but the first one is still good. I liked it better then the first one becuase I think that it has more detail and a better adventure. I think that the adventure is better because it is about a baby dragon who is positive instead of an older dragon who just confuses the main character. the main character is a girl who is 12 and her name is Ping.
The story is basically about Ping. She struggles to take care...more
Lila Cyclist
kemanaaa...dimanaaa... Reviewku yg sudah kutulis barusan? Hikss... Nasib nulis review di hape. Well, the point is, I have finished reading the second logy of Dragon Keeper, setelah gosek sana sini dari toko buku online satu ke yang lainnya.

Cerita Dragon Keeper berakhir dengan perginya Danzi, si naga tua yg sakit parah dengan tikus kesayangan Ping, Hua. Ping sebagai Pengurus Naga harus berjuang seorang diri untuk mengasuh bayi naga yang baru saja menetas, Kai. Cerita melebar ke obsesi Kaisar Liu...more
I am loving this series about a girl Dragonkeeper and her dragon, and their adventures together. This is the second book, and Ping has to overcome many challenges to keep her young dragon safe and healthy. Can't wait to read the third one, which I found on the sale table for $5 the other night. Meant to be! Now we will see who gets to read it first. Me or Margo. Maybe I can distract her with Fablehaven...
Mandy
In the second book in the Dragon Keeper series, Garden of the Purple Dragon,Carole Wilkinson takes the story of former slave turned dragon keeper, Ping, to a new level. Faced with the dessertion of Danzi and the responsibility of raising his son, Kai, Ping is forced to grow in new ways. As always, Ping represents a strong female character in the middle grade fantasy genre and Wilkinson's prose paints a beautiful picture of not only Ancient China but also of the diversity of human character. In m...more
Wendy
This book was much easier to get into than the first, probably due to my familiarity to the character and her plight. Ping is much more fully developed in this story and by the end I HAD to read the sequel.
Sol  Gonzalez
Una vez que Danzi abandona a Ping con la única compañía de Kai, ella debe de protegerlo como única misión y como guardiana del dragón.

Para ello tiene que pasar sobre el Nigromante que aún sigue persiguiendo a Kai y al mismísimo emperador. Aunque al principio la aventura no parece sino una continua etapa de niñera, cuidando y alimentando a un bebé… Ping se desespera, porque nadie le ha dado las instrucciones para poder llevar a cabo su tarea y duda continuamente de si la esta ejecutando adecuadam...more
~*Ky*~
Carole Wilkinson has done it again. This book was just as good- if not better than the first. The progression in Ping's life from uncomfortable to safe was something I hadn't expected and I wondered what would happen to upset the peaceful situation. I immediately fell in love with Kai and instantly connected once more to Ping's character. I am still in love with the fact that this little 12 year old girl is so human and relatable in these stories. And without giving anything away the ending was...more
Cedric
Exciting sequel to Dragonkeeper, but you don't pick up right after the Dragonkeeper's cliff hanger ending! This one also ends on a cliff hanger.
Little Miss Lynsey
Jan 25, 2008 Little Miss Lynsey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dragon lovers and adventure lover
Recommended to Little Miss by: my friend tara recomended the first one and i found the second o
i liked this book for several reasons but one reason is because she chose my fav colour for kai i was hoping danzi would turn up at the end but he didnt but there was the silk cloth.
i liked liu che in the first book better ( over protective phyco! ) yes he was over potective of his sister... mean..ish to ping my overall result for him is not that good.
i liked the princess she was nice. i wonder what her name is cos i dont think it is in the book, if it is i didnt notice.
the way i picture kai was...more
indri
Mengasuh naga nggak ada bedanya dengan mengasuh bayi. Apalagi karena bayinya bayi naga. Mencari capung, mengajari berbicara, memberi susu, mengajari berubah wujud.
Kai Naga Ungu ini cepat pintar belajar apa yang diajarkan Ping. Dikala senggang Ping juga mendongeng. Kalau jalan kaki Kai bisa diajari soal alam, burung-burung , dedaunan, makanan. Kalau didalam kereta Kai tidak bisa diam.
Ping yang mencari jatidiri. Ping yang mencari keluarganya.
Ping yang dikhianati oleh orang yang ia percaya.... sak...more
Deirdre
This is the second story in the series and interesting. However, there was a bit of a reading gap between book 1 and book 2 and I found it a little difficult to get into the swing of the book. Ping is a great character and her heart is with the Dragon.

I could see some of what was going to happen flagged pretty clearly in the story but it was the overall story and the growth in the characters that kept me going.

Interesting series and I'm going to have to keep going with it, possibly with a quicke...more
Aoife
Beautiful!
Harun Harahap
Buku kedua lanjutan dari Dragon Keeper ini masih menceritakan seorang gadis penjaga Naga bernama Ping..namun kali ini ping bertugas untuk menjaga bayi naga, anakdari Danzi, yaitu Kai..Ping tetap mengahadapi tantangan dan hambatan saat merawat Kai..tidak saja dari musuh lamanya, Necromancer tapi juga sang Kaisar Liu Che yang ternyata berpikir licik..

*entah kenapa gw mulai bosen bacanya..yah ditunda dulu deh baca buku ketiganya..direhatkan dulu otak saya dari naga*
Ezamoosh
I think I liked this book much better than the last in the series. Half of me didn't really want to get started on this one, but it turned out great.

The whole idea of everything I found easier to comprehend. While in the last book the plot wasn't very out there, you can see it showing through this time. I found it much less predictable and, though I felt it wasn't the same without Danzi, I'm certainly learning more and more about China in the Han Dynasty.
Christina
This is my utmost favorite book of the year. Seriously. It is amazing. I just plucked this book off the shelf from my school library, and viola, I find this fantastic book! I honestly kept re-reading every single chapter. I love the plot, the climax. Everything is so unexpected...yet expected. And it's not like its fake, it could happen. You never know.
I also like how its related to historical events, mythical events AND real life events. Which is pretty cool.
The Dragon's Lair: Garden of the Purple Dragon 2 2 Apr 21, 2013 07:32AM
  • The Whisperer
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5)
  • The Book of Lies
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • Arrival (The Phoenix Files, #1)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • The Silver Horse (The Chain of Charms, #2)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Just a Dog
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Lampo Circus (The Strangest Adventures, #2)
Carole was born in England in 1950. Her family moved to Australia when she was 12. She now lives in Melbourne, with her husband John.
Carole didn't start writing until she was nearly 40. Before that, she worked as a laboratory assistant, working with a lot of blood and brains. Once she’d decided to try and become a writer, she went to university. She wrote a lot while she was there including her f...more
More about Carole Wilkinson...
Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1) Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3) Dragon Dawn (Dragon Keeper, #0.5) Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4) Black Snake: The daring of Ned Kelly