Start by marking “Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)” as Want to Read:
Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time #11)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  71,148 Ratings  ·  1,222 Reviews
The dead are walking, men die impossible deaths, and it seems as though reality itself has become unstable: All are signs of the imminence of Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, when Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, must confront the Dark One as humanity's only hope. But Rand dares not fight until he possesses all the surviving seals on the Dark One's prison and has dealt wit ...more
Published 2006 by Orbit (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Knife of Dreams, please sign up.

Bettielee sadly, book 10 is the worst! book 11 is so much better, and yes, I really think the series gets better - mostly because of Sanderson's…moresadly, book 10 is the worst! book 11 is so much better, and yes, I really think the series gets better - mostly because of Sanderson's more-to-the-point writing! It's been 6 months... did you continue?(less)

Markus
And so I've completed my last Robert Jordan book in a while. And a great one it was. I didn't quite feel that it was on the level of the early great ones like The Eye of the World, The Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos, but it definitely takes the pace up after three almost disappointingly mediocre books.

In Knife of Dreams, interesting things start happening again, and we start moving towards a conclusion. I'm in doubt whether that's actually a positive thing, seeing as that means this all has to
Evgeny
Mar 18, 2014 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book feels like a roller-coaster ride after the last book. The action began right in the first pages of prolog (Galad and Whitecloaks subplot). Things moves much closer to the Last Battle; three of the most annoying subplots which dragged on and on during the last three books were finally resolved (Perrin, Elayne, and Mat). Below are my thoughts about the major characters of the series and their development.

Rand shows up fairly briefly; one of the prophesies about him is finally fulfilled -
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Knife of Dreams is another huge installment (1.3 days worth of audio!) which suffers the same faults as the last several WOT novels. But, if you've made it this far, perhaps that won't bug you.

I have to say that Robert Jordan can surely set a scene; indeed, each chapter begins with a very detailed description of the setting, including such minutia as the style and oiliness of men's beards, the height of ladies' boots, every knickknack on every plinth, ever
Dux
Aug 18, 2015 Dux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, before anything else. First things first, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! WE ARE OUT OF THE SLUMP!!!!!!!!

PRAISE THE LORD, THE BOOK DID IT

I DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD FEEL SO GOOD

BUT IT FELT EVEN BETTER THAN IT WAS POSSIBLE TO IMAGINE, I HAVE COME OUTTA THE OTHER SIDE STILL ALIVE

The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are alike a knife of dreams

All right, let us get down to it. Take
Jon
Steve
May 05, 2007 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who've already read up to book 10 in this godforsaken series
Shelves: fantasy
Knife of Dreams, the elenth book in the colossal fantasy series the Wheel of Time, has been viewed as something of a return for Robert Jordan. After near unanimous agreement on the terrible quality of books 8-10 (and particularly book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, an 800 page novel where literally nothing happens), fans (and some critics) have regarded this as a return to form. Are they right? Is Knife of Dreams really as good as such earlier volumes as The Dragon Reborn and Lord of Chaos? Has it ...more
Jonathan

Knife of Dreams is one of my favourite books in The Wheel of Time series. I happen to think that it is one of the stronger books in the series, though no doubt readers who have had to trudge through three slow, plodding novels in a row would think otherwise. Indeed I would suggest that it is only the positioning of this novel which prevents it from being accepted as, if not the best work by Robert Jordan, then the second best. I find it poetic that Robert Jordan saved his best for his last compl
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
First of all, I'd like to clear up the misconception that the series is meant to be read all at once and even the terrible books are decent if you're not waiting a couple years for each one. I started reading the Wheel of Time in 2003, and for the first six books I ran out to get the sequel as soon as I finished the one before it. Well, then the books started to slow down, and I lost interest... finally, I realized I could skip #9-10 entirely, read online summaries, and continue to Knife of Drea ...more
Phrynne
Jan 15, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over 30 hours of audiobook entertainment. I must admit to a feeling of relief to have finally reached the end although I did enjoy most of it. There were parts that were really slow but there were also some really good parts especially when they featured Rand or Matt. This seems to be the norm with these books though. For some reason despite their frequent lack of action and repetitive qualities they have something which drags the reader in and makes them want to carry on - and on - and on. I wi ...more
Kaitlin
Jun 22, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
So this is the final instalment in the Wheel of Time series which was actually written by Jordan himself before he died. I had heard before going into this one that it's the beginning of Jordan bringing all the threads back together in order to compose the final instalment (A Memory of Light) after this one (which would have made a 12 book series) but in actuality when Sanderson took over after this it ended up that he and Jordan's wife agreed splitting the final book into 3 books would be for t ...more
Knjigoholičarka
U ovoj knjizi sve žene "frkću". Ja znam da žene cokću, uzdišu, kolutaju očima, ali nikada ih nisam čula da "frkću". Frkću mačke i psi kada im nešto nadraži nos.

Takođe, izgleda da u celom Džordanovom svetu ne postoji žena kojoj se ne može pripisati barem neki stepen histeričnog ponašanja. Osim Egvene. Ta je mrtva 'ladna. Sve ostale se nešto inate. E, to je prava reč. Sve su bolesno tvrdoglave, sve se inate, sve se prave pametne. Ponekad se zapitam da li je Džordan živeo zatvoren u sobi bez prozo
aPriL does feral sometimes

Once again, Mat’s story is the most fun to read! Tuon, Mat’s Seanchan fiance, simply will not believe her ‘Toy’ is a respected general fighting wars for his best friend, Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn! However, she is learning, finally, in this book, that he is not JUST a fascinating young gambler and a ‘pretty’ to queens…

Rand, on the other hand, is all sorrow and serious business. No wonder when he bears the heaviest burdens and the largest griefs. Every eye is on every move he makes, and ever
Ivana Azap
Aug 08, 2015 Ivana Azap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
OK, I will start the review, like always, with the Mathrim bloody Cauthon :D
I understand that you will certainly think that I talk gibberish, 'cause that guy is not the main character - it is Rand, the Dragon Reborn himself, the guy who can channel...
But my choice will always be Mat. 'Cause he makes me laugh every bloody time :D
Here are my tops of the book (where he is finally caught in the women net ;)).

Mat is great general.
“Uncase the banner, Macoll. This time, we’ll let them know who’s killin
Alan
Apr 07, 2009 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of reviewing Knife of Dreams, I would like to take some time to talk about the future of the series.

Robert Jordan died of cancer. He tried his best to finish the twelfth book, but was not fast enough. Brandon Sanderson, a rising star in the fantasy world, is trying to finish what Jordan started.

However, Brandon, after reviewing Robert Jordan's extensive notes, quickly came to the conclusion that Mr. Jordan overestimated his ability to finish the series in one book. Brandon, as he was wri
Eric Allen
Aug 16, 2016 Eric Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knife of Dreams
Book 11 of the Wheel of Time
By Robert Jordan

A Wheel of Time Retrospective by Eric Allen.

Though it wasn't really made public knowledge until a bit later, by this point in the series Robert Jordan's health was failing him, and this was the final book that he was able to complete before his death. With the series dragging plotlines that it did not need on to ridiculous length, subplots bogging down all forward momentum, and most of the fast paced action from the first five books utte
Doğan Sakarya
Jul 02, 2016 Doğan Sakarya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Son dört kitaptaki olumsuzlukların tam tersi olmuş bu kitapta. Gayet akıcıydı ve kendini güzel okuttu. Adamı bayan betimlemeler hâlâ vardı ama olsun. :) Herhalde rahmetliye öleceği malum olmuş. Neredeyse 10 kitapta okuduğum tüm olaylar bir yerlere bağlanmış. Açıkçası B.Sanderson'a tamamlayacak pek bir şey kalmamış. Böyle bir şaheser yarattığın için teşekkür ederim Bay Jordan, umarım daha güzel bir yerdesindir...
Igor Ljubuncic
I just realized I never wrote a review on this one. In fact, I haven't written a review in a while, so there's all this artistic energy pent up in my nethers. This is another installment in the series where nothing really happens, but the nothing is ever so slightly more interesting than nothing in the previous books.

Most of the action revolves around Aes Sedai talking over coffee, plotting, counter-plotting, and such. There some warfare for those who like epic battles with banners flying and su
Lilyan
Jul 22, 2015 Lilyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Third Re-Read

Aaaand we're back on track my fellow WOT-ers! after 3 books of whining female channelers, running after Faile, having to read Shaido chapters and scratching our heads at Halima's purpose, Knife of Dreams has swooped in to save the day and wrap up some undesirable plots! Yee haw!

I'm pleased to say that Perrin has his Falcon back, thank the lord Jesus, Elayne has sorted out her shit at long last and Egwene's plot has gone into motion after being stuck with those old farts for what fee
Richard Bray
Mar 03, 2013 Richard Bray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Jordan didn’t waste any time in making it clear that KNIFE OF DREAMS was going to make up for the wheel-spinning that soured the last few books, especially CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT. After reading CROSSROADS, I recognized it for what it was – a book designed to set up the climax of multiple plotlines – but that didn’t make it any less frustrating.

In KNIFE OF DREAMS, we finally start to see the payoff. In the past, I’ve been frustrated by Jordan’s prologues, which have often extended almost 1
Ryan
Nov 03, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope everyone reading this can agree that Empire is the best of the Star Wars films. Believe it or not, my favorite episode was Jedi when I was a kid.

How embarrassing.

Seriously, though, you have to admit that the start of Jedi is pretty solid.

It wasn't until I'd watched Star Wars several times that I realized my mistake. Actually, I've noticed that many people that have only seen the Star Wars films once often pick weaker installments as their favorites.

I wonder if Knife of Dreams will follow
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
Lady*M
Feb 02, 2014 Lady*M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
4+ stars

Things are finally moving. In a way, Rand's is the least interesting plot line. That is not a flaw; the other characters' stories just have more action. Egwene rocks and Nynaeve shows the use of real Aes Sedai 'truth' and tricks Lan. Awesome. Tai'shar Malkier, Tai'shar Manetheren!

Perrin finally saves Faile and Mat - bless him - marries Tuon (which is the fact I cant get over even after all this time). Rand is approaching his breaking point - it is sad to watch even when you know what is
Melanie
Jul 19, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
And so, finally, this series gets going again. I'm unsure whether this is just relative or actually objective but I'm just happy things have started moving again.

Egwene kicks some serious ass in this book, and her's is by far my favourite section. But they're all good, and I'm looking forward to what happens next and what Brandon Sanderson's input achieves.
Al
Jul 08, 2016 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible! This was one of the best books in the series.
Jerzy
Apr 19, 2015 Jerzy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, wotf
HALLELUJAH AMEN, I've finished the last book Jordan wrote! Just 3 more to go before the series is over :)

So. I've heard that JRR Tolkien was a language nerd, first and foremost. He wrote Lord Of The Rings largely so that there could be characters to speak the Elvish tongues he'd already invented.

By analogy, Robert Jordan must have been a fashion designer nerd, and WoT obviously exists only so that he could dress someone in the clothes he invented. How else do you explain the thrilling contents o
Mo
Oct 13, 2012 Mo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eduarda
Aug 30, 2016 Eduarda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E mais um livro terminado. Esse teve bastante ação e capítulos acabando de maneira emocionante, principalmente na metade do livro. Deu uma esfriada depois, mas as coisas continuaram acontecendo a todo momento e o livro acabou em pontos bem cruciais.

Tem uma coisa que eu estava querendo muito que tivesse acontecido nesse livro, principalmente porque é o último escrito pelo Jordan, mas acabou que nem rolou. Acho que ainda falta um bom tempo para acontecer.

P.S.: Depois da consolidação de um certo ca
Joey
Sep 25, 2013 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not bad; I really liked some parts of it, and it gave me a bit more hope for the series in general. Some of my usual complaints are still valid in this book (as they have been in all previous, such as the nonsensical sexism, the schmaltzy middle-school romanticism, the completely unbelievable gestures/habits of characters, etc), but overall it is getting back on track.

I really loved Egwene's storyline in this book; it was lovely seeing her character development in the face of huge
Alex Ristea
May 21, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What.

Can you imagine if this book is where it all stopped?

Darren was right—this is where Jordan really got back into form. Everything is being set up for a conclusion. Plots and character arcs are becoming tighter. It’s all starting to converge.

For better or worse, we’ve been through almost 10,000 pages of Wheel of Time. If you’ve read this far, chances are you like the series and have become hopelessly attached to the characters. I’ve been fortunate enough to read through without any wait betwe
Cori Reed
May 02, 2016 Cori Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Legacy of the Drow Collector's Edition (Legacy of the Drow, #1-4; Legend of Drizzt, #7-10)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“There is some delight in ale and wine
And some in girls with ankles fine
But my delight, yes always mine
Is to dance with Jak O’ the Shadows

We will toss the dice however they fall
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall
Then follow Lord Mat whenever he calls
To dance with Jak O’ the Shadows.”
57 likes