Start by marking “Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Yoga for Emotional Bal...

Bo Forbes

Emotional balance is within your reach—when you cultivate the intelligence of both your body and mind. Bo Forbes, a psychologist and yoga teacher, presents an integrative approach to healing anxiety, depression, and chronic stress. In this book, she offers some of her most important teachings and practices, including:

restorative yoga sequences designed to balance anxiet
Published March 15th 2011 by Shambhala Publications, Inc. (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Emotional Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Emotional Balance

Heather Pagano
May 22, 2011 Heather Pagano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my yoga friends
Recommended to Heather by: Yoga Journal
Shelves: yoga
Psychologist and yoga teacher Bo Forbes uses the resonance between psychology and yogic philosophy to explain restorative yoga to practitioners and teachers in a manual that includes (but goes far beyond) explaining how to get into and out of the poses. She links anxiety to the rajasic guna, depression to the tamasic guna, and strives to find emotional balance (sattva). Revelations to me included: 1. that depression and anxiety are two sides of the same coin and stem from the same causes 2. that ...more
Andrea Bussinger
Aug 25, 2015 Andrea Bussinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
As a licensed counselor and yoga teacher I'm interested in how yoga can be used for mental health in a clinical setting. Having taken specialized trainings in mindfulness and yoga for PTSD, and read those articles that are floating around on brain change, I'm obviously more interested in techniques that have a sound clinical rationale. Yet I'm also always looking for books to recommend to clients, that would be compassionate and approachable.

This book straddles the line quite nicely between the
Melody Schreiber
Bo Forbes, a longtime therapist and also a yoga practitioner, struggled with the disconnect she saw between the physical and emotional therapy worlds. Often, she says, “we can feel, rather than think, the emotional experiences that heal us.” Instead of just talking through emotional patterns, she began introducing breathwork and restorative yoga poses into her clients’ therapy plans.

This was a time before the emotionally healing benefits of yoga truly took hold in Western society, and Forbes was
Kayla Grzech
Jul 29, 2012 Kayla Grzech rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've struggled with anxiety/depression for almost all of my life, and have spent many years trying to understand why my brain works the way it does. This book explains how anxiety/depression affect more than just our minds, and how simple things like breath work, posture changes, and simple yoga practice can disrupt the negative cycles and patterns of anxiety/depression. For anyone who has practiced yoga, this book also explains why certain asanas will cause an emotional response. Forbes combine ...more
Kandice
If you suffer from anxiety, depression, or a combination of both and want something natural to restore your equilibrium, I would recommend this book. Forbes, who has a background in clinical psychology, maps out the benefits of restorative yoga as well as other psychologically supportive methods which can assist anyone having issues in these areas. Even if you only have the occasional episode of stress or sadness, the restorative yoga sequences outlined in this book are extremely useful. I would ...more
Abby Rosmarin
Apr 26, 2014 Abby Rosmarin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the best books on yoga's impact on your personal and emotional life. Usually books that string yoga practices in with mental well-being can get very self-helpy. The authors would usually come across as more-enlightened-than-thou and it would be a pill to get through the book. This book is written like a best friend with a good set of knowledge on a subject is talking to you. It's easy to read, easy to digest, and even easier to take away the important lessons. I'm one of those peop ...more
Cindywho
Dec 17, 2011 Cindywho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation-yoga
I'm lucky because I actually get to take yoga classes from this teacher - so I was curious about her book. The execution is a little awkward with some repetition and a few odd bits, but the techniques and information that she imparts are very interesting and helpful. She integrates insight meditation with breath and restorative yoga, with the intent of getting the mind and body on board with healing anxiety and depression. I haven't yet attempted the yoga part outside of class, but the breathing ...more
cuifen
Jun 22, 2013 cuifen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is an excellent read as much for the wisdom it contains about emotions, anxiety and depression as it is for the yoga sequences themselves. In a way, the yoga is far from the central focus of this book. It's just there as one part of a much more holistic roadmap to mental and emotional health. While the concepts in this book are very valuable and I have found myself making notes on some of the ideas/methods I want to remember and keep with me, I feel that the number of props required for the ...more
Emily Crow
Yoga is an amazing tool for balancing the emotions, and the body, and I would recommend yoga to just about anybody. I am a bit less sure about this book. It has some good insights, but ultimately is not a "keeper" for me. I bought it a few years ago (though only now got around to reading it), when I was suffering from a lot of anxiety. (Ultimately, I "cured" my problem, unexpectedly, by a change in diet, which I only noticed a while after the fact. So I ended up not needing this book after all.)
Andrea Hickman Walker
I can't always do yoga the way I want to (though perhaps if I spent more time with my yoga for chronic pain book I would), and restorative yoga is fantastic for those times. Especially for someone with both anxiety and depression. The breathing exercises are fantastic (though my favourite for calming down remains alternate nostril breathing - the 1:2 ratio seems way too hard sometimes!) and I like that I can do most of the postures with as many assisting props as necessary on the day.
Amaris Morin
Some great information and an amazing approach to how meditation and yoga can help ease the burden of anxiety and depression, but I felt like I kept reading the same information over in each chapter, which definitely got old fast. However, I love the meditations she offers, definitely worth it for those.
Anna
Apr 16, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book finally helped me understand what the point of meditation is, or rather, exactly what meditation is doing in the brain. It always seemed like such a pointless exercise to me, boring and a waste of time. Then the author linked the idea of samskaras in Indian philosophy to the idea of neuroplasticity, and suddenly it makes complete sense to me.
Angie
Jul 24, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost never read non-fiction books all the way through (I skim the first few chapters) but this one I read at least enough of that I felt like I could add it to my "read" books list. It is one of the most helpful books about anxiety, depression, and mind/body meditation I have read (okay, skimmed).
Nancy
Jul 15, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple effective and hopeful practices and approaches. If you take just one or two things from this book your state, and therefore life, will be better and easier. It is refreshing to see an approach to anxiety and depression that gets out of the mind. Read this book.
Emily
Oct 16, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually reading through this book put me to sleep, but the exercises are very helpful, I even led some sessions of 1:2 breathing in my office! I had taken a few restorative yoga classes but didn't really "get it" and so it was good to know more of the underlying theory.
Jay Kay
Dec 30, 2015 Jay Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book mostly for the practices in the back dedicated to depression/anxiety relief. I would recommend this book to anyone seeking a way to make change, as an addition to a mental health regimen.
Julie
Dec 31, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that describes body and depression/anxiety in a unique way, with practices for all. Gets into greater nuance about restorative yoga than any book I've seen. I would have liked to have seen a few more pose sequences, but other books do that nicely. A good addition to my yoga shelf.
May 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a clear and helpful book. From breathing practices to restorative poses, the author provides lots of guidance, so that even a novice student of yoga can receive much benefit. I am VERY glad I read this book!
Stephanie Elms
Fantastic information and I have found the poses extremely helpful in centering myself when I need them. I was really amazed to see how my body reacted differently to the anxiety vs the depression poses.
Kristina
The content was interesting, but became predictable after a couple of chapters. I liked the insights on the emotional and physical connection. I hated how few pictures there were! If you talk about a yoga position you should insert a picture. So only somewhat helpful for me.
Valerie Sherman
Mar 20, 2013 Valerie Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it enough that I bought it after renting from the library. I'm interested in meditation and coming more into balance emotionally, so this book was perfect for me. It also makes me want to start up my Western-style yoga practice again!
Lauren
Apr 11, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A local yoga-therapist makes a case for a number of restorative poses to heal the body and mind. Helpful to someone practicing yoga regularly.
Kristen
Feb 23, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. She really articulates how powerful yoga can be to help us calm down/feel more positive. And she sheds light on the importance of restorative yoga!
Ever
Aug 05, 2014 Ever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been looking for a guide with more emphasis on breathwork, and this fit perfectly. An excellent read; definitely worth taking the time to absorb each chapter.
Marisol Crisostomo-Romo
This book is so loaded with compassion. I definitely appreciated it. Basically, restorative yoga is the way to go if seeking relief from depression and anxiety.
David Nash
Too much "selling" Restorative Yoga and not enough "how to". But otherwise good.

To sum up this book: breathe deeply, relax your body.
Stephanie
Apr 27, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, health, yoga
I enjoy reading about anxiety, depression, etc. objectively; it helps me get a better grip on what's going on in my head and helps me stop the damaging patterns.
Robbi
Robbi rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2016
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness
  • Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness Through Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life

“When we push for immediate results and instant healing, we never inhabit the important in-between phase, which is where much of the learning and growth actually happen.” 0 likes