Start by marking “An Unmentionable Murder (Manor House Mystery #9)” as Want to Read:
An Unmentionable Murder (Manor House Mystery #9)

An Unmentionable Murder (Manor House Mysteries #9)

MEET ELIZABETH HARTLEIGH COMPTON. SHE'S THE HOUSE-RICH, MONEY-POOR KEEPER OF THE MANOR--AND KEEPER OF THE PEACE...

In WWII England, the quiet village of Sitting Marsh is faced with food rations and fear for loved ones. But Elizabeth Hartleigh Compton, lady of the Manor House, stubbornly insists that life must go on. Sitting Marsh residents depend on Elizabeth to make sure
Mass Market Paperback, 217 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about An Unmentionable Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unmentionable Murder

Becky
Jun 10, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
This was a great series that in enjoyed. The setting in England during WWII and I hate to see the end. Well written with a cast of great characters. I wish it was another series like this so it would never end.
Patricia
This is the final book in the Manor House series, following “Wedding Rows.” The action begins about 3 weeks after the conclusion of the previous novel and about 3 days into the Allied Invasion at Normandy in 1944.

Earl Monroe is gone – flying bomber runs in the Allied Invasion. The knickers are gone – stolen from the clothesline. And Martin is just plain gone – disappeared, gone. Then there’s the life that has gone out of the body of Clyde Morgan, who has just been found in the rubble of the burn
Drebbles
Feb 11, 2010 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006
Lady Elizabeth Hartleigh Compton has her hands full watching over the residents of Sitting Marsh, England, during World War II. She is worried about American Major Earl Monroe who, as a pilot, is fighting the war in the air. Elizabeth has other problems - her elderly butler, Martin, keeps disappearing for hours at a time and someone is stealing ladies knickers from clotheslines all over the village. Elizabeth soon has a bigger problem; a dead body is found when a munitions factory is torn down. ...more
cloudyskye
Feb 24, 2014 cloudyskye rated it liked it
So this was the last one. I enjoyed the whole series more or less, as a "Foyle's War" fan it was quite a familiar atmosphere, and the author does deliver that. The ending seemed a bit rushed, as others have remarked, there are a few loose ends left. (view spoiler) ...more
Teddi
Jan 25, 2015 Teddi rated it it was ok
Last book in the series and I must say I am disappointed! Nothing was really wrapped up and an epilogue was sorely missed. Nothing was said about the 3 musketeers who have caused havoc in the last few books. what was Martin really doing when he disappeared? What happens to Polly and Sadie? Do Violet and Martin go to America? And why dies Elizabeth have to go to America? Why can't Earl stay in England instead?
Readers have become immersed in these people's lives over the course of 9 books and Kin
Ann aka Iftcan
Mar 10, 2008 Ann aka Iftcan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series and anyone who wants to feel good
Basically what this is is a "Finish" for the series. Kate Kingsbury wants to wrap things up neatly for us and this is the way she does it.

There is almost no mystery--and what there IS is just Lady Elizabeth deciding that there IS a mystery with no real evidence or even any serious hints that there is a mystery.

Still it was a "feel good" ending to the series and lets us know that all our favourite charcters are off to better lives with the ending of the war.
Linda
Jan 15, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I love the Manor House Mysteries by Kate Kingsbury. Lady Elizabeth is the lady of the manor in Sitting Marsh, England during WWII. American soldiers are stationed at the manor. In this book the butler has gone missing. Also, unmentionables have been stolen as they were drying on the clothes' line. The Major she loves has been hurt. On top of that a man's body has been found. Is it suicide or murder? There is a lot to keep you turning the pages. I enjoyed this book a lot.
Brooke
Sep 23, 2016 Brooke rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! This is the final installment of the Manor House Mysteries and I'm so sad that it has to come to an end. Although the story isn't completely wrapped up in this book, author Kate Kingsbury (aka Doreen Roberts Hight) did write a few paragraphs on her website about how she closed out the story. For those interested, here's the link:
Scott
Aug 27, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
An almost perfect ending to a wonderful series. I would have preferred Earl stay with Elizabeth in Sitting Marsh at the Manor House. They would have made a great "Mr and Mrs North" Scottish style and have made a great new series. Oh we'll, it was still a great conclusion to a great series with all loose ends tied up.
Joyce
Sep 20, 2009 Joyce rated it it was ok
An okay cozy ( or cosy, since it's an English story). Didn't realize I was coming in at the end of a series, but it stands alone well enough. It starts out with what looks like a light, fluffy story line but soon goes into another, darker one.
Mar Oh
Oct 13, 2015 Mar Oh rated it it was ok
2.75
Elisha (lishie)
Love my comfy cozy series! Love Lady Elizabeth's meddling! Just what's needed during a snowy March cooped up inside with a yummy cuppa Earl Grey.
❂ Jennifer
The last book in a very cozy series, this book wraps it all up relatively nicely.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/748772...
Joshua Ian
Mar 13, 2013 Joshua Ian rated it liked it
3.5 stars. For those that like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like. Or words to that effect. Luckily tis the sort of thing I like.
Joan Rotz
Aug 16, 2016 Joan Rotz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was excellent as was the entire series !

Enjoyed all nine books!!! Will read entire series again!! Thankyou
Sandra Keaton
May 31, 2015 Sandra Keaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 9

I loved all the books in this series. Hope they will be made available through audible soon. I am sorry Kate chose to end this series.
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Micki
Micki rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Susanne J Claar
Susanne J Claar rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
eloise vellucci
eloise vellucci rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Cohern7287
Cohern7287 rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
David A . Vallant
David A . Vallant rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Patricia Tucker
Patricia Tucker rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
rosemarie crete
rosemarie crete rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Linda Kwan
Linda Kwan rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II, #6)
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter, #3)
  • The Library Paradox (Vanessa Duncan)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • Shadow Waltz
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Return to Cranford: Cranford and other stories
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Doreen
  • Some Sunny Day (World War II, #2)
  • Angels in the Gloom (World War I, #3)
  • The Smoke
  • Till the End of Tom (Amanda Pepper, #12)
Kate Kingsbury grew up in London, England, and at a very early age began telling stories to her school friends during the London Blitz of WW II while huddling in bomb shelters. Kate moved to the U.S. in the early sixties, and had passed her 50th birthday when she published her first book. Writing as Doreen Roberts, (her real name) she published 26 romance novels for Harlequin/Silhouette. In 1991 h ...more
More about Kate Kingsbury...

Manor House Mysteries (9 books)
  • A Bicycle Built for Murder (Manor House Mystery #1)
  • Death is in the Air (Manor House Mystery #2)
  • For Whom Death Tolls (Manor House #3)
  • Dig Deep for Murder (Manor House Mystery #4)
  • Paint by Murder (Manor House Mystery #5)
  • Berried Alive (Manor House Mystery #6)
  • Fire When Ready (Manor House #7)
  • Wedding Rows (Manor House Mystery #8)