Start by marking “Alice Neel's Women” as Want to Read:
Alice Neel's Women

Alice Neel's Women

This book presents a collection of powerful portraits of women by one of the twentieth century's most intriguing artists. Alice Neel is largely regarded as one of the most important women artists of this century. Her work combines the brutal honesty -- and lush brushwork -- of Lucian Freud with a nod towards the expressionist palette. She first came to prominence in the 19 ...more
Published November 9th 2002 by Rizzoli International Publications

To ask other readers questions about Alice Neel's Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice Neel's Women

May 21, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
wasn't sure if I would like this since Alice Neel painted a lot of men too, but I liked the author's take, and after all there aren't too many women artists who are celebrated, so why not write this, it's good
Marjorie Elwood
Mar 22, 2011 Marjorie Elwood rated it liked it
Shelves: art
A little skimpy on the interpretation, although two of my favorite of her works were pictured (the portrait of Annie Sprinkle and Neel's last self-portrait). I also discovered a few other works that inspired me.
Nov 19, 2007 Karie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with eyes
Alice Neel waves her magic brush and captures her subjects beauty and grotesqueness beneath gobs of yummy, yummy paint. This book doesn't contain the painting of her lover pissing in a sink that I adore, but is definitely worth a long, long look.
If you are looking for a nice collection of color repros to study contemporary portraiture from,t his book is for you! Alice Neel is always inspiring, but in this dosage, she'll knock your socks off!
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Barbara rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Alice rated it really liked it
May 06, 2010
Nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2007
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2008
Maleka rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2010
David Gallaher
David Gallaher rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014