Start by marking “The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County #1-3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  695 ratings  ·  41 reviews
HERITAGE OF LANCASTER COUNTY Journey into the fascinating world of the Amish with the three-part story of a young woman who must face her past in order to discover her future. The Shunning Katie Lapp, a young Amish woman, lives a quiet life in Hickory Hollow, Pennsylvania, but after one visit to the attic, her world begins to crumble. The Confession With her identity shatt ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning

Katherine
I listened to these three books and am combining my review. I thought this was an interesting series. Not very original as far as Amish story lines go, but maybe this was the original. I don't know. Mostly I thought the whole situation was sad, and that a couple of well-placed truths could have gone so far in avoiding much of the heartbreak.

I thought the most interesting part of the books was the short statement (and I'm paraphrasing!) that the Amish are so focused on the Ordnung that they have
Elizabeth
The Heritage of Lancaster County is three of author Beverly Lewis’s books in one. Including The Shunning, The Confession, and The Reckoning. All three books tie together the life of Katie/Katherine a young twenty-two year old woman who is struggling with the responsibilities and rules that young Amish women are expected to live by. Each book follows her struggles, as she tries to live her life to the best of her ability and on the path she believes God wants her to follow. I won’t go into the de ...more
Lynn
I read the this more to get information on the differences between Amish and Mennonite beliefs and lifestyles. It was reasonably informative in this regard. The actual story seemed contrived, aimed at reaffirming the Mennonite beliefs. I found it predictable and not too entertaining.
Julie
Loved this book my favorite Quote " my search is over I was looking for Fancy things and found a personal Relationship with our Lord JESUS.pg 280 the reckoning .
Olivia Rooney
When Katie Lapp finds a baby bonnet and English children clothing in her families attic she is adamant about finding where those came from. But she is hardly ready for the truth of her birth.

At the same time her heart still yearns for diseased Daniel Fisher who left his guitar with her before he left. She buried it, trying to force herself from temptation.

When she finds out her birth, she throws all her Amish bringing up aside and faces the world.

I enjoy this book, although by the last book I
Brooke
Katherine is torn between her new life as an English girl and her old life as an Amish girl and a guy named Daniel Fisher is searching for his sweetheart girl which would be Katherine and right now she is cherishing her handsome suitor.

This book was a great book to read because it told about a life that many of us do not live which is Amish and how the character had to change from an Amish life to an English life and it was cool to read about and see how the lifestyles are different. I would rec
Susan
This series was an interesting read. I learned a lot about the Old Order Amish and I was surprised at some of their beliefs and the ways in which they worship. The harshness of a shunning came as a particular surprise, especially considering their belief in quickly forgiving worldly folk (Englishers as they call us), but not being so forgiving of their own. It was intriguing to me to learn that they believe the world outside of them is living in sin due to their "fancy" ways, yet they don't beli ...more
Kari Marsh
Reading the first book drew me into the second & third. I am glad that I was able to read all three. This is the first series I read about the Amish culture. Living in Philadelphia for 4 years it was fun to revisit Lancaster County & view the Amish lifestyle from a first hand perspective. For some reason this book inspired to want to be more Amish- get rid of those distractions that keep me from being one with God. Not entirely be Amish but I do recognize how blinding technology & mo ...more
Robin
Heritage of Lancaster County was a wonderful Amish love story. I love trilogies all in one book. One story after the other. They are spiritual books, Which I also like. These books had some twist and turns and I'm very happy the way the story ended.
Duckyday
Book One, The Shunning, was charming and heart-tugging if not a bit predictable. I felt a bit like I was watching a made for TV movie.

The second book was also good, shining light on the differences between the Amish and Mennonites.

Finishing the third book, I felt like a had finished watching a Hallmark movie without commercials. I cry with most emotions, and this book now has tear stains from both joy and sorrow.
Heather
As usual for a series, I felt the first book was the best. Maybe it's because I really enjoy reading about Amish culture. I was surprised in the second and third books at how easily Katie becomes "English". I didn't feel that was very realistic and I had a hard time believing it was so easy for her. That said, I still really enjoyed this series. It went exactly where I thought it would, but it was a very enjoyable journey.
Clara Roberts
I woould rate the first bookin this seris a four, the second a two and that last a three. The first book was very well written. The descriptions were quite good. Lewis does a good job of showing the reader why the shunning was intolerable for the woman shunned. The second book bounces around from scene to scene and was not interesting. Lewis brings the story to a meaningful ending with the last book.
Jenny
I don't normally read Amish fiction but I happened to catch the movie of the first book on the Hallmark channel over the weekend and I had to know what happened next. Plus read the book the movie was based on b/c you know the book is always better than the movie and since I liked the movie the book had to be great.

I liked this book series. I wish Hallmark would make the other two into movies.
Martha
This is actually three books in one. The novels flow together seamlessly and the writing is just fantastic. Beverly Lewis has created characters that really tugged at my heart--the feelings and emotions they experience, coping with rights and wrongs, and of course, the main theme of grappling with morality, religion, family history and family values. An amazing read!
Anne
Enjoyed reading the series but I did end up skimming through towards the end of the series. The final two chapters seemed to end the book suddenly and seemed to be missing part of the storyline. Read these because I originally saw the movie.
Lena Morrison
They were good books. :) It was a little slow at first, but I really liked it later on. It was realistic. A certain event near the end of the third book made me want to destroy the book, but soon the situation was changed, and all was well. I loved how she found Jesus. :)
Jill
I strive to read everything by my favorite author, Beverly Lewis. However, I would never recommend introducing anyone to my favorite author through this series. It's not as good as her others. It's still a nice story, but it's not as heart-warming and uplifting as the others.
Caroline Clifford
I enjoyed this trio...the first book being the best by far.....and / but....i was SHOCKED at the shunning of the main character. I dont know how any godfearing community can do this to their people. But i am from New Zealand and we dont have any Amish communities here.
Priscilla Schelling
Amish culture has always been inspiring for me. To see all the culture wrapped up in a spiritual romance combined also with amazing twists and turns has been an amazing experience for me. I didn't want the stories to end but I am glad I was able to figure out how it ends.
Renee
A Trilogy, Three books in this series: The Shunning, The Confession, The Reckoning. I didn't think I would like these books pertaining to the Amish lifestyle but I was surprised as they are much more. I couldn't stop reading until I finished all three
Annie
I really liked learning about the Amish. I liked the books. They are a little predictable, but very likable. Also, the 2nd and 3rd are a little slow moving. The series ends well, with Katie finding out who she really is. I would recommend.
Tonya
I have always enjoyed reading about the amish culture. I have a great respect for their way of life. I enjoyed the stories Lewis writes. She drew me in and helped me understand why consequences are so serious for those who do wrong.
Jules
This was a great trio of books- especially after growing up so near to Lancaster. The author's use of Pennsylvania Dutch wording fit in well and she really captured the essence of the area and the people.
Chrissy
A must read for any fan of Beverly Lewis... an inspiring tale of a woman forced to reexamine her quiet life among the Amish and to reconsider everything she's believed about herself and her surroundings...
Beth
Nov 01, 2008 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 12 and up
Recommended to Beth by: Me
Shelves: beverly-lewis
I loved this book, I started reading the first one on July 3rd and I finished on July 7th.

The 2nd book was confusing at times.

The third book ended just as I hoped it would!!! It was an awesome book!!!
Theresa
Amish smut. :) Good light reading. I listened to it for the last two weeks while organizing closets and cleaning up. Totally enjoyed every minute of it's light, easy storyline. :)
Nikki Trowbridge
An easy read, just what I like. I enjoyed these books, I found the series got better as it went along and you got to know the characters better.
Mandy
I liked this series as well from Beverly Lewis - these are a little hard to get in to, but once you're hooked you have to finish.
Rae
I read only The Shunning in this trilogy, but would love to read the other two novels. I enjoyed the Amish setting immensely.
  • Ransome's Quest (The Ransome Trilogy #3)
  • Daughters of Lancaster County (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1-3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • The House in Grosvenor Square
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...

The Heritage of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Confession (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #3)
The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)