Start by marking “The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County #1-3)

HERITAGE OF LANCASTER COUNTY Journey into the fascinating world of the Amish with the three-part story of a young woman who must face her past in order to discover her future. The Shunning Katie Lapp, a young Amish woman, lives a quiet life in Hickory Hollow, Pennsylvania, but after one visit to the attic, her world begins to crumble. The Confession With her identity shatt ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shunning/The Confession/The Reckoning

Katherine
Apr 24, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, audiobook
I listened to these three books and am combining my review. I thought this was an interesting series. Not very original as far as Amish story lines go, but maybe this was the original. I don't know. Mostly I thought the whole situation was sad, and that a couple of well-placed truths could have gone so far in avoiding much of the heartbreak.

I thought the most interesting part of the books was the short statement (and I'm paraphrasing!) that the Amish are so focused on the Ordnung that they have
Elizabeth
Mar 02, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
The Heritage of Lancaster County is three of author Beverly Lewis’s books in one. Including The Shunning, The Confession, and The Reckoning. All three books tie together the life of Katie/Katherine a young twenty-two year old woman who is struggling with the responsibilities and rules that young Amish women are expected to live by. Each book follows her struggles, as she tries to live her life to the best of her ability and on the path she believes God wants her to follow. I won’t go into the de ...more
Julie
Oct 11, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-must-read
Loved this book my favorite Quote " my search is over I was looking for Fancy things and found a personal Relationship with our Lord JESUS.pg 280 the reckoning .
Olivia
Jun 16, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
When Katie Lapp finds a baby bonnet and English children clothing in her families attic she is adamant about finding where those came from. But she is hardly ready for the truth of her birth.

At the same time her heart still yearns for diseased Daniel Fisher who left his guitar with her before he left. She buried it, trying to force herself from temptation.

When she finds out her birth, she throws all her Amish bringing up aside and faces the world.

I enjoy this book, although by the last book I
Camilla Tilly
Feb 21, 2016 Camilla Tilly rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish
In a way I do not have the right to write a review of this book. I read the first book of the three in this trilogy and really thought it was a good book. It gave an insight in to Amish culture, society, customs and religion. Originally I had bought the first book in the series on it's own but because I thought it was so good, I went ahead and bought a copy with all three books in it, so I could read the continuation.
But I am unable to to finish the second book in the series. No longer does the
Brooke
Jun 02, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
Katherine is torn between her new life as an English girl and her old life as an Amish girl and a guy named Daniel Fisher is searching for his sweetheart girl which would be Katherine and right now she is cherishing her handsome suitor.

This book was a great book to read because it told about a life that many of us do not live which is Amish and how the character had to change from an Amish life to an English life and it was cool to read about and see how the lifestyles are different. I would rec
Susan
Mar 01, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: amish-based
This series was an interesting read. I learned a lot about the Old Order Amish and I was surprised at some of their beliefs and the ways in which they worship. The harshness of a shunning came as a particular surprise, especially considering their belief in quickly forgiving worldly folk (Englishers as they call us), but not being so forgiving of their own. It was intriguing to me to learn that they believe the world outside of them is living in sin due to their "fancy" ways, yet they don't beli ...more
Becky
Jan 07, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I disliked the main character because she was whiny and self indulgent, blaming everyone else for her problems instead of taking responsibility. I only read the first book of the three. I won't waste my time with the other two.
Kari Marsh
Apr 10, 2013 Kari Marsh rated it really liked it
Reading the first book drew me into the second & third. I am glad that I was able to read all three. This is the first series I read about the Amish culture. Living in Philadelphia for 4 years it was fun to revisit Lancaster County & view the Amish lifestyle from a first hand perspective. For some reason this book inspired to want to be more Amish- get rid of those distractions that keep me from being one with God. Not entirely be Amish but I do recognize how blinding technology & mo ...more
Robin
Dec 10, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
Heritage of Lancaster County was a wonderful Amish love story. I love trilogies all in one book. One story after the other. They are spiritual books, Which I also like. These books had some twist and turns and I'm very happy the way the story ended.
Tammy Bernadt
Jun 23, 2016 Tammy Bernadt rated it it was amazing
Greatest books ever
Duckyday
Oct 16, 2008 Duckyday rated it really liked it
Book One, The Shunning, was charming and heart-tugging if not a bit predictable. I felt a bit like I was watching a made for TV movie.

The second book was also good, shining light on the differences between the Amish and Mennonites.

Finishing the third book, I felt like a had finished watching a Hallmark movie without commercials. I cry with most emotions, and this book now has tear stains from both joy and sorrow.
Heather
Jan 04, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
As usual for a series, I felt the first book was the best. Maybe it's because I really enjoy reading about Amish culture. I was surprised in the second and third books at how easily Katie becomes "English". I didn't feel that was very realistic and I had a hard time believing it was so easy for her. That said, I still really enjoyed this series. It went exactly where I thought it would, but it was a very enjoyable journey.
Clara Roberts
Jan 04, 2012 Clara Roberts rated it liked it
I woould rate the first bookin this seris a four, the second a two and that last a three. The first book was very well written. The descriptions were quite good. Lewis does a good job of showing the reader why the shunning was intolerable for the woman shunned. The second book bounces around from scene to scene and was not interesting. Lewis brings the story to a meaningful ending with the last book.
Jenny
Apr 19, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I don't normally read Amish fiction but I happened to catch the movie of the first book on the Hallmark channel over the weekend and I had to know what happened next. Plus read the book the movie was based on b/c you know the book is always better than the movie and since I liked the movie the book had to be great.

I liked this book series. I wish Hallmark would make the other two into movies.
Martha
May 26, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it
This is actually three books in one. The novels flow together seamlessly and the writing is just fantastic. Beverly Lewis has created characters that really tugged at my heart--the feelings and emotions they experience, coping with rights and wrongs, and of course, the main theme of grappling with morality, religion, family history and family values. An amazing read!
Anne
Dec 30, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading the series but I did end up skimming through towards the end of the series. The final two chapters seemed to end the book suddenly and seemed to be missing part of the storyline. Read these because I originally saw the movie.
Lena Morrison
They were good books. :) It was a little slow at first, but I really liked it later on. It was realistic. A certain event near the end of the third book made me want to destroy the book, but soon the situation was changed, and all was well. I loved how she found Jesus. :)
Jill
May 25, 2010 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: beverly-lewis
I strive to read everything by my favorite author, Beverly Lewis. However, I would never recommend introducing anyone to my favorite author through this series. It's not as good as her others. It's still a nice story, but it's not as heart-warming and uplifting as the others.
Caroline Clifford
Oct 16, 2012 Caroline Clifford rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-romance
I enjoyed this trio...the first book being the best by far.....and / but....i was SHOCKED at the shunning of the main character. I dont know how any godfearing community can do this to their people. But i am from New Zealand and we dont have any Amish communities here.
Priscilla Schelling
Amish culture has always been inspiring for me. To see all the culture wrapped up in a spiritual romance combined also with amazing twists and turns has been an amazing experience for me. I didn't want the stories to end but I am glad I was able to figure out how it ends.
Ashley
Apr 26, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish-books
awesome
Renee
Sep 25, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Trilogy, Three books in this series: The Shunning, The Confession, The Reckoning. I didn't think I would like these books pertaining to the Amish lifestyle but I was surprised as they are much more. I couldn't stop reading until I finished all three
Annie
Apr 06, 2011 Annie rated it liked it
I really liked learning about the Amish. I liked the books. They are a little predictable, but very likable. Also, the 2nd and 3rd are a little slow moving. The series ends well, with Katie finding out who she really is. I would recommend.
Tonya
Apr 04, 2008 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tonya-has-read
I have always enjoyed reading about the amish culture. I have a great respect for their way of life. I enjoyed the stories Lewis writes. She drew me in and helped me understand why consequences are so serious for those who do wrong.
Nessa
Started The Reckoning on March 23, 2016
Finished The Reckoning on April 8, 2016
Jules
Nov 09, 2011 Jules rated it it was amazing
This was a great trio of books- especially after growing up so near to Lancaster. The author's use of Pennsylvania Dutch wording fit in well and she really captured the essence of the area and the people.
Chrissy
Nov 13, 2010 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
A must read for any fan of Beverly Lewis... an inspiring tale of a woman forced to reexamine her quiet life among the Amish and to reconsider everything she's believed about herself and her surroundings...
Beth
Nov 01, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls 12 and up
Recommended to Beth by: Me
Shelves: beverly-lewis
I loved this book, I started reading the first one on July 3rd and I finished on July 7th.

The 2nd book was confusing at times.

The third book ended just as I hoped it would!!! It was an awesome book!!!
Theresa
Jun 12, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Amish smut. :) Good light reading. I listened to it for the last two weeks while organizing closets and cleaning up. Totally enjoyed every minute of it's light, easy storyline. :)
  • Ransome's Quest (The Ransome Trilogy, #3)
  • Daughters of Lancaster County (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1-3)
  • The House in Grosvenor Square
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...

The Heritage of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Confession (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #3)