Start by marking “Babyville” as Want to Read:
Babyville

Babyville

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  25,492 Ratings  ·  522 Reviews
To have a baby or not to have a baby, that is the question that's facing Jane Green's heroines in her fifth novel, Babyville. Julia, Maeve and Sam are pondering the pros and cons of procreation; the effect that it could have on their careers, partners and lives.

The novel opens with Julia, a successful TV producer, with her legs straight up in the air, encouraging her boy

Published (first published September 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Babyville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babyville

Cristina
Nov 03, 2007 Cristina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The ladies!
This is another that I already have forgotten what happened. It's a good "nothing else to read" book that won't disappoint with lower expectations.

The problem with Jane Green novels is that after reading one, you've kind of "read them all". HOWEVER, I still enjoy them. They are easy and go so fast. They make great vacation books.
This was not my favorite Jane Green novel.

It was the story of three women - Julia, Maeve and Sam. All three women are struggling with their relationships and - more truthfully - their identity.

I get that we - as women - struggle with who we are and how to define ourselves apart from our "better half" and our ability to procreate. I really do get that. I guess I struggled with taking it seriously with this book - which is probably why I didn't like it too much. I had little empathy for any of t
Candice
Jun 04, 2008 Candice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. Having a hard time with this one-- I'm about 115 pages in and its pretty insipid; total SNORESVILLE and predictable... I might have to give up soon... I have no idea how someone could give this anything more than 2 stars... I keep thinking it might pick up or get interesting or better...

yeah, if I could give it 1.5 stars I would, but overall, yeasch. half star would go for the humiliation at the end of the book heard over the baby monitor-- wow, that was terrible. Other than that, ugh.
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
I loved Jemima J, and thought Mr. Maybe was so-so. I was prepared to go either way with this one, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I thought the 3 perspectives in the novel were interesting, and I took a particular liking to Maeve. Green did a great job of weaving all the stories together. A fun, light read!
Alyssa
Apr 05, 2011 Alyssa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't know how this book is possibly rated so highly on goodreads. The story itself seemed generally relatable and appealing (mid-30s woman feels the biological clock ticking, wants to have a baby with boyfriend she isn't interested in so much after 4 years, she's jealous of friends with babies). I was interested to read it because it would represent "mommy lit" as a subgenre of chick lit. However, the writing was SO awful that I could not finish the book. I gave it a chance and read the first ...more
Julie Hedlund
I tried to force myself to finish this book after reading the "Julia" segment. Ultimately, I failed. I am an avid reader of all types of books, including chick lit. As the mother of two young children, I had looked forward to some light summer reading about women going through the same phase of life. However, these women are nothing like me or any of the many thirty-something women and mothers that I know. For example, how many women are DESPERATE to get pregnant, and then dash off to New York, ...more
Lauren
Apr 02, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about three women in their thirties, Julia, Maeve, and Sam.

Julia is a producer with a live in boyfriend who is "trapped" in a boring relationship. Like so many people I know in real life, she realizes deep down that she is not happy, but after investing 4 years in a relationship she is determined to make it work. She figures that the spark always goes out in a relationship. Julia, like so many people in real life, doesn't know how to make herself happy and when her boyfriend Mark d
Farah
Nov 29, 2012 Farah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, chicklit
Akhir-akhir ini gue selalu bermasalah sama novel terjemahan.

Nemu kalimat yang berasa ngga enak dikit, langsung turn off. Males lanjutin baca. Itu yang terjadi sama beberapa buku yang udah mulai gue baca dari berbulan-bulan lalu tapi sampe sekarang masih aja belom kelar. Itu karena gue tinggalin acara baca bukunya di tengah jalan. Lanjutin bacanya entar aja kapan-kapan hiahahaha.

Tapi novel ini salah satu yang selamat dari perasaan sudden turn off. Mungkin karena seperti The Man I Should Have Marr
Redfox5
I thought I had read this before but I couldn't remember anything about it, so maybe I didn't. One chick lit book is very much like another. This is the story of 3 women - Julia, Sam and Maeve(seriously, whose called Maeve nowdays?).

Jane tells the story in three sections, one at a time which doesn't always seem to work. I wish she had alternated viewpoints in chapters as we seemed to miss some important bits of the story.

I really wanted to see Julia's reaction to Mark getting Maeve pregnant
Jackie Bryant
This was a re-read for me. When I was not really reading very much about 5-6 years ago, this was a book that I read and re-read multiple times. It's sort of weird to think about a 24 year old single woman who doesn't want kinds rereading a book called Babyville but alas.... that was my life.

I went on a bit of a chick lit binge at the end of November. I read two Sophie Kinsella books and then I decided I wanted to read one of my old favorites so I did.

Babyville is about 3 women in London. Julia
Angela
Dec 08, 2008 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quite possibly one of the worst books I ever read. It makes women look flightly and indecisive without really addressing serious issues the characters face in a way that is appropriate to their problems. Also, if you are even remotely thinking of having a baby, don't read this book! It makes having kids sound like a death sentence!
Brooke
Oct 04, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
It has been a while since I delved into the British Chick-Lit scene....the title of this book caught my attention from the book share table at my gym and I'm so glad it did! While not a stellar piece of fiction, I really enjoyed this book. Being early on in my pregnancy when reading it (4 months) I was able to relate with most of the characters & loved their growth. Even when some of the characters were doing not-so-happy things, you could understand where they were coming from (blinders on ...more
Ayuwidya Ayuwidya
Nov 02, 2011 Ayuwidya Ayuwidya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bercerita dari tiga sudut pandang perempuan dan kehidupannya. Julia, perempuan yang terobsesi punya bayi, tapi saat ia cuti kantor ia meyakini sebuah kebenaran yang selama ini tidak berani ia akui. Ia tidak yakin bahwa pasangannya, Mark, adalah orang yang tepat untuknya. Maeve, perempuan yang tidak berencana punya anak, malah punya anak dari Mark. Ia berencana untuk aborsi dan berkeras untuk tidak hidup bersama Mark. Sam, sahabat Julia yang kemudian juga jadi sahabat Maeve. Ibu rumah tangga yang ...more
Weni
Apr 29, 2009 Weni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Semua tentang bayi...
Ada Julia yang terobsesi utk punya bayi. Menganggap hadirnya seorang anak akan menjadi solusi atas hubungannya yang semakin hambar dengan Mark (mereka blm nikah, tp tinggal bersama). Situasi makin memburuk ketika Julia mengungkapkan kekecewaannya, seolah Mark lah yang tdk bisa punya anak (Julia sdh pernah hamil dan menggugurkan kandungannya). Julia akhirnya pergi ke New York bersama Bella, merasa lega krn tdk lagi bersama Mark, bahkan tdk lagi terobsesi untuk punya anak.

Lalu
Connie Fischer
Jul 25, 2012 Connie Fischer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia wants a baby desperately and is unable to conceive. She focuses so hard on becoming pregnant to the point that she drives her boyfriend away. Maeve almost breaks out in a rash at the thought of being a mother. However, a night of - oops - unprotected sex changes all of that for her. At first, she tries to convince herself that she couldn't possibly be pregnant and tries to ignore the whole thing. Then, she is determined to have an abortion yet keeps putting it off until it's too late. Sama ...more
Melynda Yesenia
Feb 14, 2008 Melynda Yesenia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i'm really glad this was a trashbook, totally free.

total, unabashed chicklit. however, this also managed to keep me interested past the first three pages which is usually all i can stand of the genre. a quick pace, imperfect characters and rotating narrators all help to temper the fluff-factor of the story and writing style.

still, i couldn't ultimately care. some of the resolutions refrained from being totally cookie-cutter perfect but i still wanted one of the women to become a real person-- p
Abby
Sep 02, 2010 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the title would suggest, this book is all about babies. Trying to get pregnant, trying not to get pregnant, and adjusting to life after pregnancy with a newborn.

What could have been an interesting look at the topic was spoiled by three of the most unlikeable main characters I have ever encountered in a fictional book, as well as a completely, pat, happy ending undeserved by the characters. All three women were completely selfish and self absorbed, and it's next to immpossible to enjoy a book
Jane
May 16, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good

Hits super close to home (especially the third part). Funny and charming and actually well-written. The characters feel human, with all the foibles and uncertainties of real people, ones I could be friends with being a career woman in my thirties.
Carrie
May 04, 2016 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked most of this book--I debated between 3 and 4 stars.

The story is split into thirds, three different women's stories, although all three are interconnected. To put it bluntly, I hated the first story. I found Julia's character so self-centered it was almost intolerable. But then I really enjoyed the second story and really connected with Maeve's journey. Finally, the third story, Sam's, I went back and forth on. I also wasn't a huge fan of Sam's, although I was more sympathetic towards he
Stephanie
Mar 06, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Jane Green novel and I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. BABYVILLE was an awesome story about babies and "thirty-something parenthood".

The story focuses on three characters. Julia, Maeve, and Sam are as different as night and day.

Julia, married to her loving husband Chris is feeling unfullfilled in her marriage after she gives birth to their son George.
Maeve is a single woman living the good life, satisfied with her career, and sees no relationship or kids in
Rena Widyawinata
I've read another book by Jane Green titled Spellbound. It's Indonesian edition. I think, it's published in its origin country as To Have and To Hold (?).
My Jane Green first book is Spellbound. The plot is soooooooo slow and sooooooooooo boring. I took about 6 months to finished. Because of that, I decided to not read Jane Green books. (Indeed, I read a book based on the way of author write the stories). The 'heartbeating' moment came in a few last chapter.
When I came to Goodreads event in Indon
Brittany Johnson
Feb 20, 2015 Brittany Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Green is an author who writes novels that women can easily relate to. This book focuses on three different women and the struggles they have when it comes to motherhood. Each woman in the book feels differently about motherhood; however, each character is relatable, which I think is a testament to the skill level involved in her character development.

The book is separated into three parts, each part focusing on one of the main characters, with cameos by the other characters. It starts with
Jennifer Cason
Jul 13, 2012 Jennifer Cason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no one to blame but myself for reading this. I knew it would be 1 star when I bought it. I knew it on page 10, 20, 30 and so on. I've read a past Jane Green and the best I can say is that she is consistent with her 1 star writing. I'd like to find some way to soften this review. Give it up as a brainless summer read, but really...don't do it. There are just so many better "bad" summer books out there.
Donna
Apr 04, 2009 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This rating/review is based on getting to about page 60 of this book. I couldn't read past that. I found the storyline to be not all that interesting. Hardly any of the main characters were likable people. And it was coarse and vulgar. After 60 pages, I knew I couldn't read another couple of hundred pages of this. Disappointing chick lit!
Nur Fatin
When reading this book, I guess I was expecting a lot more although I must say, I wasn't that upset. I like how the three ladies are a character that's relatable to masses of women and I also like how the story is not about what-to-expect-when-you're-expecting, it's about the journey of being pregnant and parenting. Although I'm very biased and would say the only character that catches my liking was Maeve.

I'm not sure if I should NOT recommend anyone to read it because I'm pretty sure the book a
Emily
Feb 10, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When i read this book i just couldn't put it down i wanted to know what was going to happen next for the characters in the book. I love the fact that each of the three main women in the book are concentrated on with there own little mini books in the book...
Poppiebathwater
Oct 14, 2012 Poppiebathwater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jane green because most of her books read like a more dramatic long episode of Friends with a sprinkle of Bridget Jones. This was the first jg book I read in a few years, and it was good to be back in the land of teacups and tidy endings.
Suraima
Aug 08, 2010 Suraima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. Very realistic about relationships, babies and what sometimes goes on in womens heads. Has some really nice twists wrapped in there as well. I am really glad I read it and I would recommend it to any female friends.
Jess (Shepherdjel)
I thought this was ok, I really hope and pray that I never have to deal with the stress with having a baby, it is scary how stressful it can be and how it can sometimes destroy a relationship.
Gina
Jun 03, 2013 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed a good Jane Green book now and again, and this one was fine, but not something I'd say, "ooh, you don't want to miss this!" Fairly predictable with lots of whiny women in it.
  • She, Myself & I
  • Love @ First Site
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Notes From The Underbelly
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • With or Without You
  • Thirtynothing
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • American Girls about Town
  • Fishbowl
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • The Friendship Test
  • Perfect Partners: Mr Maybe & Jemima J
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
  • Your Big Break
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi