Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man #7)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,496 Ratings  ·  287 Reviews
Yorick Brown, the last man on Earth, has finally reached the country where his fiancée Beth has been stranded since the male–killing plague struck more than three years ago. Unfortunately, the visit is just a stopover — the trail that has led Yorick and his companions (government operative Agent 355 and biochemist Dr. Allison Mann) to the shores of Australia continues on t ...more
Published June 23rd 2006 by Titan Books (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Brandon
Nov 02, 2011 Brandon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2011, vertigo
Yorick finally makes it to Australia! While Dr. Mann and 355 agree to let Yorick take a look for his long lost girlfriend Beth, they encounter more trouble than expected.

This volume seemed more like a something Vaughn used to tie up loose ends. It felt as if almost nothing progressed here. We're met with two back stories that while interesting, failed to really alter the story in any way. That being said, it's not really all that bad, just not as great as the series has been.

Books 6 and 7 didn'
Ryan Mishap
This is getting to be like watching Lost or some action movie--intriguing set up, but as it is drawn out you start noticing where sex scenes and weirdness try to cover up the fact that the story is meandering, like maybe the author don't know quite where he be going. Or, maybe I'm wrong and it is meant to be "sexy" or something.

Anyway, I know food is short and all, but hunger doesn't turn every woman into a Barbie Doll with an impossibly thin waist, big boobs, and the like. I don't think it is
Shivesh
Mar 27, 2009 Shivesh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The lack of a solid story arc in this volume makes it a slow slog. However, it is apparent that some of the loose ends and other issues that Vaughan left hanging are slowly being pulled together for the stretch run into the conclusion of the series. This gets two stars for having "middle volume" syndrome. It gets boring at times but still has promise.

It is great to be able to read the entire series after it has concluded. This is an addictive story, because Vaughan succeeds in setting up an intr
Stepheny
Jun 17, 2014 Stepheny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me or are these books freaking awesome?!

So much happens!! I love the story line. It just takes twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, yet you somewhat do expect. It's just incredible!

I am ready to kill this one bitch in here though! (view spoiler) How dare you be mean to that little monkey!! Poor little Ampersand! I just want to rescue the little monkey! And see that bitch get what is coming to her!!

Also, I love the artwork. If you aren't reading these
Hans
Oct 04, 2014 Hans rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series frustrates me because I do enjoy it, but I want more. The author seriously only scratches the surface of the possibilities of how deep this series could go. So he brushes lightly over all the "gender" issues of what a female dominated world would look like.

In this one there is light brushing of the neo-drug trafficking of heroin as pain sedative both for physical pain as well as an existential emotional pain. Does this make drug-trafficking immoral? or are they saviors providing a b
Patrick
Paper Dolls

It started amazingly with those When Harry Met Sally style interviews. And it really felt like it was trying to say something profound about the media and the trashiness that this new world would carry over from the old one, but the idea and setup turned out be a lot more compelling than the payoff. All the possibilites and they just kinda cowered down and called it a day quick...

...then the big random heavy plot twist and reintroduction of the Israeli psycho...so unappreciated.

The Ho
Licha
Jan 19, 2015 Licha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
4 stars. This one brought tears to my eyes twice. I hope it continues on its upward streak. The past volumes had begun to get a bit tedious and one-note.

In this volume:

--The group makes a short detour to Australia before heading to Japan. Yorick hopes he can find Beth#1 before they head out to Japan in search of Ampersand. While in Australia, Yorick encounters a journalist who's on a mission to find proof of men-sightings. This could spell disaster for Yorick if the rest of the world becomes aw
Cassandra
Geez, Yorick. =_=
Tarina
Jan 28, 2016 Tarina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay.

Vaughan is very good at making you care about his characters. Also, bringing back characters you never though you'd see again. And subtle word play.

For personal reasons, I'm a little bummed Dr. Mann revealed not only is she Japanese, she's...bum bum baaa...half-Japanese and that this is, like, a thing to white people. Oh how I wish I could launch into a diatribe about the long list of creepy experiences I've had from being cursed with Japanese blood. But now it makes sense why one creepy wh
John Wiswell
Feb 24, 2008 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comics readers, post-apocalyptic readers
Thank goodness, Y: The Last Man feels earnest again. The drama, emotion between characters, and even the humor return to top notch (though there is one joke that will challenge your suspension of disbelief; think "theme restaurants") in two really strong stories. The first story takes the crew to Australia, along a mildly absurd conflict a tabloid reporter out to exploit rumors of a last man on earth. The second, more poignant story is Hero visiting Beth's church. For whatever reason, Beth is th ...more
Tyler Hill
I think my biggest complaint with this title right now is just that I feel like it should be better than it is. Vaughan's tackling some interesting ideas here, ranging from a news reporter discovering Yorick exists, to how the Catholic church is progressing in a post-male world. But, despite the interesting ideas, the execution just strikes me as really pedestrian.

There is some interesting stuff her, and the book is a page-turner overall. But, again, I just feel like it could be more. I haven't
Adriana
Stronger than the last volume in terms of advancing the story, this volume nevertheless felt a bit disconnected. We get to see lots of pieces of the whole story but the jumping around between people, places, and times lacked some structure. It’s not a total mess, but the great story planning of the first volumes seems to have gone the way of man.
On a more positive note. Lots of old faces make an appearance and add to the intrigue, plus we get to learn more about 355’s past and see where Ampersa
Jelinas
Another of the weaker volumes in the series, but this one at least moves the story along a bit.

In this volume, Yorick & Friends stop to refuel in Australia before continuing on to Japan in search of Ampersand. This allows Yorick the opportunity to search for his fiancee, Beth Deville, who was in Australia when he last communicated with her.

We also learn a little more about Agent 355's history, which isn't as compelling as it could be, in my opinion. It's a pretty standard story of childhood
Bhanuj
May 22, 2016 Bhanuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-comics
Finally a full frontal of Yorrick Junior. ;) 5 stars and 5 cheers for the last dick on earth. Though in yorrick's defence it was a cold night and he had a gun to his head. Fear and cold shrinks the pecker.
Melinda
Feb 05, 2016 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man in a burka stripped nude for a tabloid photo. This series is genius. We see 355's origin story. Plus we visit new Beth and discuss how twisted the Catholic church's view of women is. 4.5 stars.
Emma Lauren
Jul 09, 2015 Emma Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan was the seventh of the Y: The Last Man Saga. This story adds in shocking relationship twists, new ideas on war, and the back story on everyone's favorite character, Ampersand. Can't wait for volume 8!
Niina
Mar 27, 2016 Niina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, sarjakuva
Ah, Yorick ja hänen hauskat populaarikulttuuri viittauksensa: "Soylent Green!". Seitsemäs albumi Y:The Last Man -sarjassa kertoo mm. lisää taustoja agentti 355:stä, ninja tytöstä ja siitä toisesta Bethistä, jonka Yorick tapasi aiemmin matkallaan tosirakkautensa luokse. Toivottavasti myös Apersandin (kapusiiniapina) ja Yorickin tiet kohtaavat pian.
Harry Lawrence
This volume seemed a lot slower than those that preceeded it. The story moved along just enough to keep me interested but was quite underwhelming by the end. Just 3 volumes left now though until the end of the series so I hope they pick back up next time.
Erika
Mar 07, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Not my favorite volume in the series, but I still enjoyed it and can't wait to see what happens next!
Darlene
Jun 20, 2015 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melody
Sep 04, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
this series is so good :)
Brandon James
Dec 29, 2014 Brandon James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume of Y: The Last Man really stands out among the last few volumes and not because of the main story, which continues to drag. Honestly, I've just about given up on Yorick, his gang and his main quest, which I think I had stopped caring about 5-6 issues (a volume or so) ago.

Where this volume really shines is with the three stories that deal with characters we don't see that often, or who we haven't seen in a while. My favorite has to be issue 40, the fourth issue in this volume, that de
Trin
All the stuff set in Australia was interesting (poor Yorick and his little Yorick), but I found the 355 backstory really disappointing. The bookends were lame, and the actual meat of the tale told us almost nothing we didn't already know. It is a bad sign when you make the monkey's backstory more interesting than that of one of your main characters. Still...the monkey's backstory was pretty cool?
Brandice
Aug 10, 2008 Brandice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic lovers
Shelves: comics
I've been trying to pace myself and read one volume of Y per week, but after reading this one, I read 8 and 9 in the same evening, just because I want to know how it all ends. This is a good series. :)
P. Kirby
In which we learn that Ampersand is an escape artist like his master. Better really.

And Yorick's junk becomes front page news, much to his chagrin. "I was like, preternaturally flaccid."

Yorick, 355 and Dr. Mann make a stop in Sidney, Australian, still destined for Japan to rescue Ampersand. There Yorick makes an attempt to find his fiancee, Beth. He doesn't find Beth, but he does manage to get himself forced at gunpoint to take nude photos, by a journalist. Meanwhile Rose, formerly a member of t
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
We're getting closer to the end and I am learning interesting things about the characters. 355's past was the best part of the trade for me
John
Feb 13, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
The adventure continues in the land down under.Yorick and agent 355 go off in search of Yoricks lost love Beth.Along the way they encounter a pesky reporter who gets a rather racy pic of Yorick which she intends to post on the cover of the tabloid magazine she works for.This leads to Yorick and agent 355 tracking down the reporter in hopes that they can prevent the photo from reaching the press.

We also learn of agent 355 origin and how her earlier years molded her into the hardened woman she has
Meg McGregor
Sep 27, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
This is the seventh in a series of ten books that describes Yorick Brown's adventures as literally, the last man on Earth. A plague has wiped out all life having a Y chromosome except Yorick and his monkey, Ampersand.

Well, my hopes that this book would be better than the last two were not fulfilled but it was a decent enough read.

I do like 355's backstory. It helps to explain how driven she is but also shows the reader why she is so vulnerable at the same time.

I just could have gone my entire li
Krystl Louwagie
May 26, 2014 Krystl Louwagie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't actually love all the characters in this series, and sometimes the timeline in plot can be a little hard to follow (also, I tend to read these volumes far away from each other, so I tend to forget how major happenings actually unfolded...oops), BUT, I do love Yorick and 355, especially together, and I appreciate Dr. Allison, too. Also, the humor is good. (I'm also realizing that Yorick and one of my favorites from X-Factor, Madrox, are very alike, in looks and personality, even if they a ...more
Anja
3.5

Still jumbled...
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)

“Your writing blows, by the by. You split more infinitives than Gene Roddenberry.” 2 likes