Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man #7)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  17,020 ratings  ·  238 reviews
Yorick Brown, the last man on Earth, has finally reached the country where his fiancée Beth has been stranded since the male–killing plague struck more than three years ago. Unfortunately, the visit is just a stopover — the trail that has led Yorick and his companions (government operative Agent 355 and biochemist Dr. Allison Mann) to the shores of Australia continues on t ...more
Published June 23rd 2006 by Titan Books (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Brandon
Yorick finally makes it to Australia! While Dr. Mann and 355 agree to let Yorick take a look for his long lost girlfriend Beth, they encounter more trouble than expected.

This volume seemed more like a something Vaughn used to tie up loose ends. It felt as if almost nothing progressed here. We're met with two back stories that while interesting, failed to really alter the story in any way. That being said, it's not really all that bad, just not as great as the series has been.

Books 6 and 7 didn'
Shivesh
The lack of a solid story arc in this volume makes it a slow slog. However, it is apparent that some of the loose ends and other issues that Vaughan left hanging are slowly being pulled together for the stretch run into the conclusion of the series. This gets two stars for having "middle volume" syndrome. It gets boring at times but still has promise.

It is great to be able to read the entire series after it has concluded. This is an addictive story, because Vaughan succeeds in setting up an intr
Ryan Mishap
This is getting to be like watching Lost or some action movie--intriguing set up, but as it is drawn out you start noticing where sex scenes and weirdness try to cover up the fact that the story is meandering, like maybe the author don't know quite where he be going. Or, maybe I'm wrong and it is meant to be "sexy" or something.

Anyway, I know food is short and all, but hunger doesn't turn every woman into a Barbie Doll with an impossibly thin waist, big boobs, and the like. I don't think it is
Patrick
Paper Dolls

It started amazingly with those When Harry Met Sally style interviews. And it really felt like it was trying to say something profound about the media and the trashiness that this new world would carry over from the old one, but the idea and setup turned out be a lot more compelling than the payoff. All the possibilites and they just kinda cowered down and called it a day quick...

...then the big random heavy plot twist and reintroduction of the Israeli psycho...so unappreciated.

The Ho
Stepheny
Is it just me or are these books freaking awesome?!

So much happens!! I love the story line. It just takes twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, yet you somewhat do expect. It's just incredible!

I am ready to kill this one bitch in here though! (view spoiler) How dare you be mean to that little monkey!! Poor little Ampersand! I just want to rescue the little monkey! And see that bitch get what is coming to her!!

Also, I love the artwork. If you aren't reading these
Licha
4 stars. This one brought tears to my eyes twice. I hope it continues on its upward streak. The past volumes had begun to get a bit tedious and one-note.

In this volume:

--The group makes a short detour to Australia before heading to Japan. Yorick hopes he can find Beth#1 before they head out to Japan in search of Ampersand. While in Australia, Yorick encounters a journalist who's on a mission to find proof of men-sightings. This could spell disaster for Yorick if the rest of the world becomes aw
Hans
This series frustrates me because I do enjoy it, but I want more. The author seriously only scratches the surface of the possibilities of how deep this series could go. So he brushes lightly over all the "gender" issues of what a female dominated world would look like.

In this one there is light brushing of the neo-drug trafficking of heroin as pain sedative both for physical pain as well as an existential emotional pain. Does this make drug-trafficking immoral? or are they saviors providing a b
John Wiswell
Feb 24, 2008 John Wiswell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comics readers, post-apocalyptic readers
Thank goodness, Y: The Last Man feels earnest again. The drama, emotion between characters, and even the humor return to top notch (though there is one joke that will challenge your suspension of disbelief; think "theme restaurants") in two really strong stories. The first story takes the crew to Australia, along a mildly absurd conflict a tabloid reporter out to exploit rumors of a last man on earth. The second, more poignant story is Hero visiting Beth's church. For whatever reason, Beth is th ...more
Tyler Hill
I think my biggest complaint with this title right now is just that I feel like it should be better than it is. Vaughan's tackling some interesting ideas here, ranging from a news reporter discovering Yorick exists, to how the Catholic church is progressing in a post-male world. But, despite the interesting ideas, the execution just strikes me as really pedestrian.

There is some interesting stuff her, and the book is a page-turner overall. But, again, I just feel like it could be more. I haven't
Jelinas
Another of the weaker volumes in the series, but this one at least moves the story along a bit.

In this volume, Yorick & Friends stop to refuel in Australia before continuing on to Japan in search of Ampersand. This allows Yorick the opportunity to search for his fiancee, Beth Deville, who was in Australia when he last communicated with her.

We also learn a little more about Agent 355's history, which isn't as compelling as it could be, in my opinion. It's a pretty standard story of childhood
Erika
Not my favorite volume in the series, but I still enjoyed it and can't wait to see what happens next!
Darlene
Brandon James
This volume of Y: The Last Man really stands out among the last few volumes and not because of the main story, which continues to drag. Honestly, I've just about given up on Yorick, his gang and his main quest, which I think I had stopped caring about 5-6 issues (a volume or so) ago.

Where this volume really shines is with the three stories that deal with characters we don't see that often, or who we haven't seen in a while. My favorite has to be issue 40, the fourth issue in this volume, that de
Trin
All the stuff set in Australia was interesting (poor Yorick and his little Yorick), but I found the 355 backstory really disappointing. The bookends were lame, and the actual meat of the tale told us almost nothing we didn't already know. It is a bad sign when you make the monkey's backstory more interesting than that of one of your main characters. Still...the monkey's backstory was pretty cool?
Brandice
Aug 10, 2008 Brandice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic lovers
Shelves: comics
I've been trying to pace myself and read one volume of Y per week, but after reading this one, I read 8 and 9 in the same evening, just because I want to know how it all ends. This is a good series. :)
P. Kirby
In which we learn that Ampersand is an escape artist like his master. Better really.

And Yorick's junk becomes front page news, much to his chagrin. "I was like, preternaturally flaccid."

Yorick, 355 and Dr. Mann make a stop in Sidney, Australian, still destined for Japan to rescue Ampersand. There Yorick makes an attempt to find his fiancee, Beth. He doesn't find Beth, but he does manage to get himself forced at gunpoint to take nude photos, by a journalist. Meanwhile Rose, formerly a member of t
Krystl Louwagie
I don't actually love all the characters in this series, and sometimes the timeline in plot can be a little hard to follow (also, I tend to read these volumes far away from each other, so I tend to forget how major happenings actually unfolded...oops), BUT, I do love Yorick and 355, especially together, and I appreciate Dr. Allison, too. Also, the humor is good. (I'm also realizing that Yorick and one of my favorites from X-Factor, Madrox, are very alike, in looks and personality, even if they a ...more
Stanley
After a hiatus, I am back, ready to finish out the series. After a very interesting beginning, my interest in the series has waned.

As has been somewhat normal at this point in it's run, the stories are a little better than average with a few moments here and there that are much better.

I feel that the story has lost its way a little bit as it has shifted focus away from Yorick's importance.

With three trades left to go, I'm hoping that they are able to refocus, and bring things home in a strong wa
Matthew
There was no plot to this volume and barely any action compare to the previous volumes but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed because you got an insight to 355 upbringing and some spoilers of what is to come with Yorick, Ampersand, and the gang.

You get to see some of the previous characters that we meet among Yorick's epic journey and I am not surprised that a certain someone got pregnant thanks to Yorick. I knew she was going to get pregnant because she had sex without a condom which is basically
Jeff
Carnevale was really in the zone for this group of covers, even the one with giant spermatazoa and creeply flying monkeys. I appreciated the artistry of ‘em all. Thanks for giving me a reason to keep turning the pages, Massimo.

Agent 355’s grip strength > a car crusher's.

Yorick can beat up a high-ranking Mossad agent but he can’t detain a middle-aged reporter for 20 seconds.

Crazy Hot Ladies Litany, part sept
+ Paloma West, cynic extraordinaire and shill for the daily rag, errrm, i mean The Mont
Nick
This is actually my second read of Y: The Last Man, so really this is a review of the entire series, rather than just this one volume. It is one of my favorite stories of all time, by one of my favorite writers of all time.

The Last Man is awesome. In a genre that is dominated by male characters, Vaughan decided to make a series where almost the entire cast is female. The main character, Yorick Brown, is a man, but he is not the dominating force, by any means. Agent 355 and Dr. Mann are just as c
Rach
I feel like we're finally making progress with whatever the heck is going on in this story. It's been three years since all men (but one*) died, and although there is still no cure, at least we know why Yorick and Ampersand survived, and why Ampersand was so different: she was genetically altered to be that way. By Dr. Mann's mom, apparently. Of course, we still don't know WHY her mom did that, and then tried to send the monkey to a place where Dr. Mann would eventually gain access to her, but I ...more
Ashley
As the individual stories become more disjointed, linking the paths that the majority of characters in Y the Last Man never know about becomes trying in some ways, and intriguing in others. More trying than intriguing, though, as we're constantly leaving someone behind in order to catch up with characters already involved in the main story.

However, in this volume, we finally learn more about 355's painful past, as well as her less than sunny romantic relationships. And Ampersand's back story has
Thomas McBryde
Another must read graphic novel! One would think that being the last man on the planet, surrounded by women would be a good thing...turns out it's not.

Meet Yorick, an escape artist, college student, and aspiring showman. Life is good for him. His sister is a paramedic, his mom is a senator, and his beautiful girlfriend is about to become his fiancee. What could go wrong?

In one moment every living thing with a Y chromosome dies. Every single male human or animal erupts in spasms and spews blood a
Elizabeth
Apr 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Morgan
Shelves: graphic-novels
Maddoganchorite
The plot advanced further in this book. The story showed alot of 355's past. So, it was interesting learning about what happened to her, and how she was trained. The story delved into Ampersand past too, as a monkey used for animal testing for products. It's going to be really interesting how they wrap this all up, since there's only three more volumes for me to read. But overall, the characters are still great, and the story is still filled with twists, and is fast to read. Great stuff.
LibraryCin
Yorick, 355 and Dr. Mann are in Australia for a day, so Yorick insists on getting off the ship to search for his fiance. We also learn some background on 355's life, and a little bit about Yorick and Ampersand.

I really liked this one. I found 355's backstory interesting and there were a few other interesting progressions in the storyline. They did go back and forth in time a few times (not only for 355's story), but the time and place are marked at the start of each section.
Punk
Graphic Novel. I didn't enjoy this volume as much as some of the others. The most memorable thing about it is 355's origin story and Yorick being hounded by a reporter. Hero picks up Yorick's other Beth (the church one), and I hope we see more of them together, but overall the focus jumps around a lot. There's a bunch of random flashbacks without the usual SIX MONTHS EARLIER IN OHIO warning, and in a couple of places, I definitely feel like I'm missing things. In Australia, one of Beth's friends ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
After a decent but a bit worrying "Girl on Girl" Brian K. Vaughan delivers the very best volume of this series so far. The previous installment seemed a bit cacophonic and it felt like the story might be coming apart. In "Paper Dolls" the tale is again all over the place; we get a quest in drug-ridden Australia, more on Yorick's sister and Beth, the woman who shares the name of Yorik's fiancé and who our protagonist surrendered to a few volumes back. Then we get a bunch of back stories of our ch ...more
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days) (Fables, #7)
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time (Transmetropolitan, #10)
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Saga #1 Saga, Volume 2 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)

“Your writing blows, by the by. You split more infinitives than Gene Roddenberry.” 0 likes