Start by marking “The Battle for the Castle” as Want to Read:
The Battle for the Castle

The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,518 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Read by the author and a full cast
3 cassettes
approx. 4.5 hours

Twelve-year-old William is beginning to wonder if Jason is still his best friend. When Jason challenges William to "jump the trains," William is terrified but feels he must prove himself. The opportunity arises when his former housekeeper sends him a magic token that once again takes him back to the mystical wor
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published March 14th 2000 by Listening Library (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle for the Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle for the Castle

karen
sigh... cant go back, i guess. when i was little, for easter one time i received the castle in the attic and the owlstone crown - two wonderful wonderful books. this book is a sequel to the castle in the attic. it is neither wonderful nor wonderful. one thing i know about twelve-year-old american boys is that they do not say "blast" when they are angry. not just one time either. it was no typo. its just a weak follow-up, and that makes me a little unhappy. no big deal - i have other books...
Emily
The Castle in the Attic was one of my favorite books as a child, and thanks to LibraryThing, I was made aware of the sequel. In The Battle for the Castle, William returns to the realm of the Silver Knight, and with the help of his friend, Jason, and the fair maiden Gudrin, is able to save the castle from another dark and mystical threat: a plague of rats.
I was a little disappointed by this story, as it seamed really rather anticlimactic and not as well plotted as it's predecessor, but it was goo
Janeen-san
This book is even better than the first. I loved it because it was funny and exciting, and the author did a wonderful job shaping all the characters personalities.

William tells his friend about the castle. Together, using the Amulet, they shrink themselves. Meeting with Sir Simon, the Knight of the castle, they embark on a magical quest to save the kingdom.
Walking out onto the drawbridge, William doesn't see the maze of boxes and old toys that was inside his attic. Instead, he sees a giant fore
Ty Rosser
Kathy Stone
Once upon a time a book of this nature would have had a dream sequence. I do not know if it is a good or bad thing that dreams have been taken away from Children's Fantasy novels, but it does make some of the action illogical. There is no logic to a dream and therefore it works as a good device to introduce an illogical series of events. It could be that it has been a long time since I have read children's books and they do not seem complete to me. I am always looking for details that are not in ...more
JJ
Sep 24, 2007 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy/medival lovers
Shelves: fantasy
another interesting read by Winthrope
Kristi FitzGerald
This book was alright. It's great for middle graders since the story is so simple and probably really great for middle grade boys. The main character, William and his best friend Jason go on an adventure to a magic castle (this is the 2nd book actually-the first one-The Castle in the Attic-is where William gets the castle as a gift from his housekeeper, haven't read it so don't want to speak to it) but in this one, the housekeeper has gone back to England but on his 12th bday she sends William t ...more
Ryan
I always find it irritating when the marketers choose not to identify a book as a sequel. "Well it stands alone!" They no doubt say. "People won't read it if they think it's the ending to another story." While both these things might be true, I can't stand the constant references to what happened in the last book. It makes me feel like I'm walking into a play at the intermission and my neighbor has to whisper through the whole thing to catch me up. GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO FIND THE FIRST OF THE SER ...more
Finalefantasy
My first introduction to The Battle for the Castle was with the audiotape, when I was just a kid. Parts of the story terrified me then, and stuck with me the years since then. Unfortunately, those were the only parts I recalled when it came time to actually read the book.

Pros: We get some interesting chemistry between the main character and his two friends, a boldly honest look at the coming-of-age theme, and a few outstanding storytelling moments.

Cons: We only see the strengths after working th
Chris
This is basically one of those sequels that's totally different from the original in theme, despite following logically from the previous story's events.

The first book was more about a sort of "magic in the home" type theme, with William discovering that his model castle and toy knight are in fact the key to entering another world. His "toy" is actually alive and can talk, as he was a genuine knight changed into lead. Through the use of a magical amulet, William can shrink himself to the size of
Books Kids Like
William is now twelve, the age when the boys in town prove their manhood by "jumping the trains." Early one Saturday morning, Jason and William meet at the station. Jason easily runs, catches the ladder, and climbs over the boxcar to the other side. William decides that it's a pretty silly way to risk your life and doesn't try. Afterwards, William feels embarrassed by his failure and invites Jason over to see the castle. He shows him the token and tells him about his heroic exploits in Sir Simon ...more
Gale
MEDIEVAL TOKENS OF APPRECIATION

William (who received THE CASTLE IN THE ATTIC) is now approaching his 12th birthday, but dreading the townkids' dangerous rite of passage called Jumping the Trains. Although skilled in tumbling and gymnastics, he feels outclassed by Jason, his best friend, who is both taller and more athletic (on a bike). He secretly mourns the fact that he is shorter, fearing that his stature will predestin him to failure in the world.

Then William receives a special gift from M
Simon
Wow, that was fun. Juvenile, but good.

I really only read this cause it was the sequel of another book. My library didn't carry it so I had to get it out through another library, and now the book is very overdue and nice fine awaits me: $4.00.

This book was very loose you could say. It ends in a way that could leave it open for more books and adventures. That is only the icing on the cake however.

The whole story has snippets of information that leads you no where and leaves you with questions.

Wher
Julesmarie
The most interesting thing about this one was that there were three children this time instead of only William. And Ms. Winthrop did an admirable job of outlining their differences without making any of them seem either better or worse than the others.

Jason is the typical reckless, sports-minded, too-brave-for-his-own-good young man. William is more reflective, less susceptible to peer pressure, and more open to wonder. Gudrin is redemption for females in a lot of classic fantasy. She still cook
Raynor Moore
I liked it both more and less than the original. On one hand I enjoyed the fantasy and adventure more. The downside though, was that from the very beginning I couldn't abide the main character's fear of train jumping. It felt like major back tracking after the events of the first book. It was a plot point that should have taken a chapter or two to overcome, not the entire book. Again, okay but not a classic for me.
Cball
Good story, very poor audio. It may be just me, but I truly dislike the multi-voice book audio especially where child actors are involved. It distracts from the story and I find myself gritting my teeth.

This is the sequel to The Castle in the Attic. It continues with William growing into a teen and watching his best friend Jason physically mature faster than William. This places stress on their friendship and William pulls the only card he has to keep Jason's interest: magic.

Jason and William sh
Melissa
An adorable sequel to the original book. Only complaint? There won't be a 3rd in the series since this book was written in 1994. The series would make a great a great movie.

"As William turns twelve, he wonders if Jason is still his best friend. In the past year, Jason has grown a foot taller, while William is still a shrimp. When Jason challenges William to “jump the trains,” William is terrified. How else can he prove himself to Jason? William gets his answer when his former housekeeper sends h
Logan
Sequel to The Castle in the Attic, this book continues with William having further adventures in his toy castle. He's a couple years older and ropes his irritating, slangy, dim friend Jason into the adventure. Jason kind of ruined this book for me, but Logan loved it. These books are similar to The Indian in the Cupboard, in that William has a figure (a lead knight) that comes to life. William also has a token that can shrink anything alive (himsefl, his cat, etc) down to the right size to fit i ...more
Becky
My granddaughter first introduced me to "The Castle in the Attic" and I read it so I could discuss it with her in our long distance phone calls. I thought "The Battle for the Castle" was a very good sequal to the first book, and now I have another book to share with my granddaughter! The cover illustration on mine is different than the one shown here. (My cover shows many rats with beady red eyes.) I prefer the one shown here. THis book might be too scary for younger children being read to, but ...more
Pixie
Interesting follow-up to The Castle in the Attic, but as others have pointed out, it is so different from its predecessor, it might as well have been a standalone.

Lisa Dickson
Nowhere near as good as the first book. Giant rat and rat army make it not an ideal bedtime read for kids.
Nevada Libert
what a good book about adventure, and bravery and magic.
Melody
E enjoyed this book. Not as captivated by it as others. I think it was just a little too old for him.
Amanda
Wow, this book terrified me when I was a kid. The first time I read it, I stayed up almost all night to finish it so I wouldn't have nightmares (got them anyway). As an adult, the power to terrify has vastly diminished, but the writing is still sound, the characters vivid, and the rat horde creepy. I didn't remember how much of the book was actually review and setup though - almost half of it. For a child with a shorter attention span, it may be harder to get into. Nevertheless, this book is sti ...more
Lydia
I almost ALWAYS finish books. It might take me a while, but unless there is something I absolutely can't stand, I'll finish it. Unfortunately, this book had the "something I can't stand." I liked the first book in this series, so I was excited to read this. I enjoyed it, but then I came to the rats. Ugggghhhh. This was a few years ago, and it completely freaked me out to have an onslaught of zombie rats to defeat. I never ended up finishing it, but I might go ack to it and see if the rats are le ...more
Matthewd96
If you where in another land with your best friend and you where going to get attacked by a giant swarm of rats what would you do? Well say hi to William and Jason William has a token that can transport anything that he want to will shrink really tiny. So he decides to bring his friend with him to a really tiny world. But when he gets there he is found that there is a giant rat swarm waiting to attack the castle of his good friend. Will he survive wait and find out in Battle for the Castle.
Rebecca
A very enjoyable read that develops the characters first found in book 1. While able to stand on its own, the story is enjoyed to its fullest when read in order. This book has more detail than the second and you can tell Winthrop's writing has improved with this book. Details are fleshed out farther and the plot has more than one level running at a time. The Battle for the Castle is a very nice addition to the original story and an enjoyable read in its own right.
Arianne
I like this book, and highly encourage it for readers young and old. I love that it's a story that boys and girls can relate to. Like the Chronicles of Narnia, the protagonist is transported to a fairy tale world. This continues the story of the first book to another level. I remember listening to the tape of this one, and some parts of it were really creepy. Let's just say plague rats. Or rats that are related to plague rats. That's creepy enough.
LJ
This is the sequel to The Castle in the Attic. It's about a boy named William and his best friend Jason. In this book they travel to a kingdom in another land. When they get there they find out that the castle is about to be overrun by flesh-eating rats and their ginormous rat leader. This book has adventure, fantasy, suspense and just about everything I like in a book.
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • James and the Giant Peach: A Play
  • Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Dragon War
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • The Trespassers
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2)
  • Princess Nevermore
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, with illustrations by Amanda Haley was published by Holiday House. TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, will be released by Two Lions/Amazon in 2015.

Writing as Elizabeth Winthrop Alsop, she has just published an ebook memoir piece en
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...
The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1) Counting on Grace Dumpy La Rue Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale Shoes