Start by marking “Night Of The Moonjellies” as Want to Read:
Night Of The Moonjellies

Night Of The Moonjellies

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
On his way to help grandmother and relatives at a seaside hot dog stand, seven-year-old Mark stops on the beach to pick up a small jellylike substance that he places in a bag of seawater. A moonlight ride with Gram on a fishing boat takes them out on the ocean where thousands of moonjellies shimmer, and the boy slips his treasure back among them. Based on a childhood exper ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Purple House Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Night Of The Moonjellies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Of The Moonjellies

Kathryn
Jan 04, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it
I think kids would probably like this one much better than I did. I found the little boy's day, helping his grandma at their hamburger/hotdog joint, to be a bit boring but I probably would have been enthralled as a kid and wished I had some relative in the restaurant business so I could help fill ketchup bottles! Still, the ending is quite pretty and even grown-up me wishes I could be in a sea of moonjellies! Also, the illustrations just didn't really do it for me--the one on the cover is probab ...more
Lesley Looper
Jun 04, 2009 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
This book brought back memories of summers at the beach, although I went to the North Carolina coast instead of New England. The restaurant in the story reminds me of the Big Oak Drive In in Salter Path, NC, which has great shrimp burgers.

I enjoyed the idea of the family helping out in the family business on the coast, with even the little boy pitching in. The illustrations near the end with the moonjellies were especially pretty!
Dolly
Jul 29, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a family who works together to run a busy food stand in New England. The busy tourist season pushes everyone to pitch in and help, including a little seven year-old boy. Despite the exhaustion from a long day at the stand, the little boy and his grandmother take the time to take a nighttime boat ride and share a magical sight - the bioluminescence of the Ctenophore. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Christy Kellner
May 20, 2014 Christy Kellner rated it it was amazing
Part of the 5 in a row curriculum and our family loved this story and the integrated lessons presented in Five in a Row. I classic story reiterating the importance of family and entrepreneurship.
Aless
Apr 28, 2015 Aless rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS MY FAVORITE SHORT STORY!!!
I absolutely love this book. I'm going to have to say that this book is one of my all time favorites!
Bree
Mar 29, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok
Notes:
boy's family owns a seaside diner
only one picture in the book is about the actual moonjellies
the kids were disappointed
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it liked it
Recommended to David by: Mom
This book was not so fun. I didn't like it very much. It sounded like a sad story.

Note from Mom: The pictures and characters are delightful in this book. David is right, however, the story is almost sad. you don't get to the moonjelly part until the very end, and then it's not as spectacular as I wish it was. This book gets 3 1/2 stars from me, too.
Jill
Jan 21, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
I don't know why, but Lia LOVES this book. We've had it checked out from the library for awhile, and every time she sees it she begs me to read it. I'm not sure why. It's not one I would pick up randomly at the thrift store, but I'm going to be looking for it now.
Jenna McRae
Apr 08, 2013 Jenna McRae rated it really liked it
This is the story of a young boy who is working at a restaurant with his grams and uncle Al. He finds something on the beach and his grandma finds it. This book would be good to use for inferring.
Myles
Jun 21, 2011 Myles rated it it was ok
I didn't really like it because the author didn't say much about the moonjellies. The book was mostly about the food stand. And that part was horrible.
Mochapelt
Dec 24, 2013 Mochapelt rated it it was amazing
we loved reading this book!
Katie
Mar 04, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
I thought this was a beautiful book. Good to share with grandparents.
Karen Bessin
A nice text to model sensory imagery in memoir
Claire McGinn
Feb 21, 2011 Claire McGinn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-the-kids
Week 2 with FIAR. They loved it!
Andrea Labonte
A must read it is a very good book.
Louiserogers1104
May 14, 2013 Louiserogers1104 rated it liked it
Blah...
Rahul Habbu
Rahul Habbu marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2016
Melaine
Melaine marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Sage Dimond
Sage Dimond marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
naoh
naoh rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Becca Goodpaster
Becca Goodpaster rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Sanny
Sanny marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
james o. phillips.
james o. phillips. rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Laurie Zaleski
Laurie Zaleski marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Amy Kelly
Amy Kelly rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Mohit Hatode
Mohit Hatode marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
  • Three Names
  • The Glorious Flight: Across the Channel with Louis Bleriot July 25, 1909
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Lentil
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Play with Me