Start by marking “Steamroller” as Want to Read:

Steamroller (Nikki Latrelle Racing Mystery)

“STEAMROLLER; A Nikki Latrelle Short Story, by the author of Best First Agatha Finalist, “Full Mortality.”

Ruled off Maryland’s Laurel Park racetrack, for a crime she had no part in, jockey Nikki Latrelle struggles to survive at a seedy training track, where a convicted murder terrorizes a young Latina groom. Faced with clearing her name, the last thing Nikki needs is to ge
Published by Wild Spirit Press (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steamroller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steamroller

Crossing Boarders by Debra Sue BriceBorn to Run by Ann  HunterThe Horse Whisperer by Nicholas EvansBlack Beauty by Anna SewellThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
Novels With Horses
24th out of 47 books — 20 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryThe Wild One by Terri FarleyThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyGreen Rider by Kristen Britain
Books with Horses on the Cover
178th out of 474 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 04, 2013 Gunnar rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle-lendable
This is a complete short story, not a chapter or a fragment, and not as short as some stories I've read. The characterization is deep and sufficiently complete, the plotline is fully developed, and there's even a hint of character voice, which is a nice change of pace among Amazon freebies. (Note: it was free when I downloaded it.)

Less of a mystery and more of a crime thriller or suspense story; no clues to follow, everything happens out in the open, and it's less whodunnit and mo
Josephine Calabrese
Mar 11, 2015 Josephine Calabrese rated it really liked it
This is a very short story which held my interest. It's a story about certain individuals working at Prince George's County Training Center.
Nikki Latrelle works there exercising low-level race horses. Nikki comes to the aid of Isabel, an illegal, who was being mistreated by Dirk Crane.
Nikki has a way of dealing with Dirk Crane to get him out of their lives.

There are formatting issues but the story was interesting. I rate this work four stars.
Sep 12, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, horses, read-2011
When SH says short story, she means SHORT. I was just really getting into the story and getting comfortable with the narrative and warming to the new characters when wham! the story was over. She made me care about what happens to Isabel and to Rocky, but left me hanging!

I will add that I haven't read a short story in years. So maybe it's me, used to a novel's pacing, so that I wasn't not tuned into the signals about how things are progressing.

Nikki in this story was all things that made her a
Rhonda Lane
Jul 29, 2011 Rhonda Lane rated it it was amazing
Young jockey Nikki Latrelle is working in exile as an exercise rider at a seedy Maryland training center where others, both horses and humans, banned from the main tracks stay in condition while they plot their return.

On Nikki's first day, she sees one of the other banished trainers back-hand one of his young female grooms. And, then, it got uglier. That's when Nikki steps in.

I liked this story which is rich with track details. If you like it, too, be sure to look into Nikki's longer adventure
Jun 08, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Sasscer Hill definitely is the class of the racing mysteries. Reading this ingenious short story you will see how her first Nikki novel was award nominated.
Mary Licata
Mary Licata rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Eldon marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Pat Bryant
Pat Bryant rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Lucy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
John rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Angie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Steve Hillam
Steve Hillam rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Lily marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Georgia Petrik
Georgia Petrik marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Melaina marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Martin HENDERSON rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Nadja marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Karen Shannon
Karen Shannon rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Neil Slider
Neil Slider marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Pita marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Randee marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Clara Gadd
Clara Gadd rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Peter K
Peter K marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Audrie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
S M rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Ln marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
STEAMROLLER, A note from the author 1 1 Dec 07, 2011 11:14AM
Sasscer Hill's books have been nominated for Agatha, Macavity, and Tony Ryan book awards. She is writing a new series featuring Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau agent, Fia McKee. In 2015, St. Martins Minotaur signed a two-book contract for the Fia McKee series, with FLAMINGO ROAD out 4/18/17. The currently untitled second book in the series won the Carrie McCray Best First Chapter Award.

More about Sasscer Hill...

Nikki Latrelle Racing Mystery (3 books)
  • Full Mortality: A Nikki Latrelle Mystery
  • Racing From Death (Nikki Latrelle Racing Mystery #2)
  • The Sea Horse Trade (Nikki Latrelle Racing Mystery #3)