Start by marking “Leela's Book” as Want to Read:
Leela's Book

Leela's Book

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Bold and entertaining, Leela’s Book weaves a tale of contemporary Delhi that crosses religious and social boundaries. Leela—alluring, taciturn, haunted—is moving from New York back to Delhi, where her return will unsettle precariously balanced lives. Twenty-five years earlier, her sister was seduced by the egotistical Vyasa. Now an eminent Sanskrit scholar, Vyasa is prepar ...more
Published January 9th 2012 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Leela's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leela's Book

Coleccionista  de finales tristes
El Mahabarata, es la epopeya más larga, 8 veces mayor que la Ilíada y la Odisea juntas. A la autora, que vivió en la India le llamo la atención el hecho de que algunas versiones incluyen la narración de como Vyasa (el autor) le pide a Ganesh que fuese su escriba mientras que versiones mas académicas eliminan esa sección. De esta idea surgió: "Cuando los dioses escriben el libro del destino".

La novela la narra Ganesh, autor también de este "nuevo libro".

"Cuando los dioses escriben el Libro del de
Sherri Huntley
Mar 01, 2012 Sherri Huntley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Leela's Book is a wonderful story of families which intertwines Indian mythology and the modern day complexities of life in Delhi. The tale of Leela and her sister Meera weaves through time until their final story is told. Throughout the novel, Albinia provides a detailed background of India, from the gritty slums and open sewers to the intoxicating smells of the gardens and family celebration of the upper class. She does an amazing job of drawing the reader into the story of two sisters, one ad ...more
Joe
Aug 28, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
I initially didn't like this book, but as the story developed it became much more interesting and entertaining. I'm not sure if I agree that the characters in the story were strong or had many attributes that were worth emulating, but the twists were somewhat surprising and I enjoyed it at the end. I do think the author managed to capture a few of the aspects of inter-religious conflict and interaction that seems to pervade South Asia, as well as the rest of the world.
Rana Ansari
Feb 25, 2015 Rana Ansari rated it it was amazing
The most accurate and candid depiction of the elite, the bourgeoisie, and the impoverished of India, through its labyrinthine and cavernous tales involving innumerable characters. (This is, The Grand Budapest Hotel times three, serious!)
What more, the use of colonial English, typical of the Indian stilted speech, sprinkled with words like learnt (instead of learned), and smelt (instead of smelled), gives an authentic air to the story.
Ilyhana Kennedy
Jun 27, 2014 Ilyhana Kennedy rated it really liked it
"Leela's Book" is quite a complex work. It has a huge cast of characters with their various interconnected relationships. Additionally the characters mirror the roles in an epic Indian mythology. So there's a lot to hold in the mind whilst reading.
I found the interweaving of mythology and the current reality a rather beautiful ploy. Reflection mirrors back on reflection with the unknown writer of the mythological story in parallel with an unknown writer of the story of this book.
It's very well w
Vania Cherveniashka
Алис Албиния ми прави компания цяла седмица, пренасяйки ме от Ню Йорк, през Лондон, за да се настаним трайно в Делхи, където се развива по-голяма част от историята. Всичко започва с една предстояща сватба, която ще обвърже две индийски семейства, преди голямото събитие се запознаваме с историята на братята, сестрите, майките и бащите на бъдещите младоженци, които са толкова шарени и различни, че няма как да не се възхитиш от широтата на въображението на авторката, а когато се намесва и едно бож ...more
Roslyn Ross
Mar 14, 2016 Roslyn Ross rated it liked it
A complicated book. I felt I needed to know more about Hindu mythology, particulary the Mahabharata, Ganesh, and reincarnation, to know if the author really pulled it off. I also couldn't tell how much of a realistic portrayal I was getting of contemporary Indian people. One thing that seemed to be accurate was the animosity between Hindu and Moslem in Hindu India. The book kept my attention. Tradition has it that Lord Ganesh, of all the many thousands of hindu gods, was chosens by Brahma to wri ...more
Leah
Mar 01, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-freebies, norton
This book is an intricately woven tale that spans continents, cultures, and lifetimes. The characters are so enmeshed in each others' lives that not even reincarnation can separate them for long. Leela Sharma finds that out when she finds herself returning to India after decades away, decades of avoiding the memories of Meera, her dead poet sister; Vyasa, her arrogant manipulator of a brother-in-law; or twins Bharati and Ash, the niece and nephew she hasn’t seen since they were babies.

But just b
Jennie
Mar 18, 2012 Jennie rated it did not like it
When I won this on Goodreads I was pretty thrilled. It sounds like a story I would love – epic tales, love, deception, and secrets kept over generations. I really, really wanted to love it and I tried very hard to do just that. About halfway through I decided that I wanted to like it (giving up on loving it) but when I finished the last page it was not meant to be.

Part of my issues with the story is how it was narrated. The story starts normal enough but then a few chapters in suddenly the narra
Katherine
Jan 25, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I would have given it five stars if the author had removed the whole Linda story.

In any case, after a slow start, I was drawn to a favourite combination of mythology and contemporary fiction in Leela's book. Tying characters in today's India to the epic that is the Mahabharata is revealed in a web of relationships related to the reincarnations of Leela, Meera and Vyasa.

The story showcases tensions between religion, class and gender in India, leading characters to a predestined fate se
Alyssa McNiel
Mar 31, 2016 Alyssa McNiel rated it it was amazing
This book was a whirlwind of plot twists and I loved how everyone's story was so interconnected. I thoroughly enjoyed Ganesh's sections and was continually surprised throughout the whole thing. I knew things were connected but I was not sure exactly how until they revealed themselves one by one. This story was amazing and I wonder if I'll ever read another like it. Just great!
Lora Dudding
Dec 10, 2014 Lora Dudding rated it really liked it
Long and involved but very satisfying epic. My only issues were with the ending leaving things hanging. What happens to Leela and Hari's relationship? What happens to Shiva Sharma after the family meeting? Do Humayun and Aisha ever come back to Delhi? Who does Ash decide to love? And are Umza Ahmed and Feroze happy?
Patricia
Apr 05, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
The author has an interesting literary device - the elephant headed god, Ganesh, is her deux ex machina and sometime narrator. Leela's book is chock full of references to the Mahabarata, to Indian culture, high and low, and to academic society. Academic infighting and cocktail party conversations appear to be the same, whether you are in Delhi, Cambridge, or I daresay, New Haven. Alexander McCall Smith would enjoy Albinia's book greatly. I read The Paris Wife in tandem with this and found Leela ...more
Manuhuia Barcham
Oct 06, 2013 Manuhuia Barcham rated it really liked it
This is a great book! At the end I couldn't put it down. That said, it took me a while to get into the book. The narrative jumps around quite a bit, and although you get used to this as you read - it's utility as a narrative device is somewhat suspect ie it's a bit confusing. Interesting - but confusing.

Nonetheless 'Leela's Book' is a wonderful tale of human lives, woven together masterfully - although I still don't understand how some of the threads wove together - especially (without wanting
Tariq Mahmood
Sep 21, 2014 Tariq Mahmood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, india
I loved this book right from the start till it's exciting finish. The story kept me engaged and and the plot captivated till the very last page. In a relatively short book Alice has managed to provide great insight into the complex diverse culture of modern urban India. The characters were well crafted and represented. The religious and class frictions were exposed well as well which was very refreshing when you consider that the author is English. Though sometimes she left clues of her English ...more
Aasia Belal
Feb 29, 2016 Aasia Belal rated it liked it
i picked this book randomly., knew nothing about the writer/book. but enjoyed it very much.

and to my surprise no muslim character in the story was a terrorist, which i was expecting. (as its a fashion to bash at muslims since 9/11)
Christina
Dec 18, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
Протяжна и скучна. В момента не мога да се сетя за друга книга, в която нито един герой да не ми е станал симпатичен. Малкото герои, към които проявявах някакъв бегъл интерес, защото историята им беше проста и нормална с елемент на трагедия, ги зафичи нейде из Индия и така и не се разбра какво стана с тях в крайна сметка. Даже описанията на Индия (които при това не са много) и препратките към епоса не спасяват неспасяемата скука.

Taloot S.
This read conforms how Dehli elite is busy in incest extramarital affairs homosexuality rapes sex maniacs and producing bastard children and at the same time making fun of their religeon which alsi promotes such immorality and teaches all this vice.
Bsal
Jan 30, 2014 Bsal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I like the intertwining of the God Ganesh and reincarnation of two characters - weaving it through to the revelation of the truth from the past.
Martin
Oct 17, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Неочаквана, пълна с изненади и въображение!
Ashley
Jan 28, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book. The constantly changing point of view made it impossible for me to get into. At the least, a family tree would have helped keep all the characters straight.
Bookmaniac70
Интелигентна импровизация върху древния епос "Махабхарата", изпълнена с цветове и екзотика, но в същото време засяга сериозни проблеми на съвременното индийско общество. За мен лично препратките към "Махабхарата" бяха по-слабата част, но историите на героите бяха интересни, с точната доза тайнствени обрати и разкрития, без да изпадат в твърде евтини клишета.

Ревю в "Аз чета".
Jessica Buike
Mar 29, 2012 Jessica Buike rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I tried, but I just couldn't get into this book. Perhaps it was too wide of a cultural barrier, but nothing really grabbed me and made me want to continue reading it. When it switched to the point of view of the god, it just got too weird and confusing for me to continue any further. Not my style, but perhaps if you like Hindu literature you might understand it better and therefore be able to enjoy it.
Amy
Mar 31, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: india-south-asia
A timeless soap opera, set in modern Delhi. Great characters, wedding drama, clashes over ideology and class, great descriptions of Delhi. Mythological Ghanesh, remover of obstacles, narrates three interludes. Otherwise each chapter picks up with a different person's viewpoint. Lovely writing--an old-fashioned style. I loved this and really would give it 4.5 stars.
Pauline
Jul 19, 2012 Pauline rated it it was ok
I love everything India related but this book was not my cup of tea.It looks like from the reviews I read ,people either loved it or hated it.I liked it enough to finish it but it was not enjoyable.I hated the Ganesh narrated parts and felt some of the story lines were left unresolved (like between Sunita and Ram)which I generally don't like.
Diane
Mar 09, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
Written in the style of an Indian epic, this book is mainly a family saga set in contemporary India. However, it borrows ideas from ancient Indian folklore. Although I'm not a scholar of Indian literature, I thought the writing for the most part remained true to the original. The author also had an engaging, although unusual, style.
Jenny
Mar 25, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
well written, great characters and highly enjoyable book. I recommend this book to anyone who has lived in India and anyone who wants a glimpse into the workings of Indian families.
Ann
Jun 20, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Some mystery, some exotic settings, interesting plot, good characters. I want all my friends to read it. The men may not like it since some of the male characters are egotistical & not likeable.
Jorie
Jul 09, 2012 Jorie rated it liked it
This was good but it takes a little while to get into. There are a lot of intricate characters who all come together in the end and she does a great job of naviagating all of the different points of view.
Karen Klein
Sep 18, 2012 Karen Klein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Really enjoyed this and will be looking forward to reading more from this author. The only thing that I had a problem with while reading was keeping the characters and families straight!
  • Waterline
  • King of the Badgers
  • The Echo Chamber
  • A Cruel Bird Came to the Nest and Looked In
  • The Quality of Mercy (Sacred Hunger, #2)
  • The Death of Eli Gold
  • Scissors, Paper, Stone
  • The Stray Sod Country
  • Noon
1422064
Alice Albinia read English Literature at Cambridge University. After graduating, she moved to Delhi, where she worked for the next two a half years as a journalist and editor for the Centre for Science & Environment, Biblio: A Review of Books, Outlook Traveller, and several other Indian newspapers and magazines.

It was during this time, as she travelled around the country writing articles and f
More about Alice Albinia...