Start by marking “Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy” as Want to Read:
Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy

Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In 1997 the American people will celebrate with great fanfare and publicity the fiftieth anniversary of Jackie Robinson's explosive entrance into major league baseball. Robinson has become a national icon, his name a virtual synonym for pathbreaker. Indeed, much has transpired between this young African-American's first bold strides around the baseball diamonds of a segreg ...more
Published May 29th 1997 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published July 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball's Great Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball's Great Experiment

I'm a big baseball fan and have a pretty good knowledge of baseball history, especially that part that I have lived through. Jackie Robinson played before I was born and up to the time I was about 5 years old. So I knew something about Robinson and his story. Nevertheless, there was much about him and the history of baseball integration that I did not know before I read this book. And this actually forms the basis of my only criticism of this book - it was so full of information that it read lik ...more
Simply put: One of the five greatest baseball books I've ever read. The story of Jackie Robinson's signing and career with the Brooklyn Dodgers has been well documented, but not as well known are the many other black and Latino ballplayers who integrated minor leagues across the country for a decade after 1947, often by themselves in a harsh and defiant Southern culture with no preparation or support system. They were sent to Texas or Mississippi or Georgia to work their way up to the major leag ...more
The definitive book on the story of Jackie Robinson's rise to the major leagues. Gives excellent background into the story of Branch Rickey and his desire to integrate baseball and of what Robinson and his family went through in 1946 & 47. The last third of the book talks about the integration of other major league teams from 1947-59. Not quite as compelling as Robinson's story. Tygiel does a good job tying in the Robinson story into the larger story of civil rights in the US, making this as ...more
The Mets drafted the Red Sox's first African American player shortly after they signed him (Pumpsie Green).

That the Red Sox were a pretty racist organization well into the 80s, whether they knew it or not.

That baseball integration was very carefully planned out.

That Florida was one of the worst places to go to for an African American.

That Jackie Robinson rarely had to deal with segregationist policies during his life until he went into major league baseball.
A very thorough, heavily annotated, well-researched and provacative account of the integration of baseball, and its influence on (and foreshadowing of) the integration of the broader society, with all of its issues and problems, successes and failures. With an afterward written in the mid-1990s, the book observes the progress and regression of the times, in baseball and beyond. Must-read history for baseball's serious students.
Pat Andsteve
Once again, a book that happens during my lifetime (like The Help), but this time non-fiction...Jackie Robinson integrating baseball after WWll. I can't say that it was a page turner, but it was illuminating about racial views 60 years ago. It was very fact-driven, I had hoped to learn more about Jackie Robinson, his life, feelings, thoughts...I will be amazed if everyone in book club finishes it!
Marc Horton
Fantastic, thorough history not only of Jackie but also of the African-American experience in pro baseball in the years before and after that legendary 1947 season. I always regretted not taking a class from Mr. Tygiel when he taught at San Francisco State, but especially after finally reading this, and learning of his death last year.
Sean Neahusan
This is an excellent book about the integration of baseball, with glimpses into the life of a Negro League Ballplayer and even shorter glimpses into post WWII America. A very detailed and thorough history. This is not a light read, but if you love baseball, especially baseball history, this book is for you.
Jane Rutherford
Parts were a little hard to get through, but on the whole, once I got through some of that, it was compelling. I appreciated the history of integration and the role of baseball in it, the hard times the Black ball players had (appalling!), and seeing names of players I "know" in this new context.
Great perspective on the integration of baseball and what it did for the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's. Enjoyed the personal stories that supported the facts and name listing. I'm sure if I was a bigger baseball fan some of the more obscure names might have made more of an impact on me.
It's been awhile since I have read this, but because of it, I am really excited to see the new movie, '42'. I have so much respect for this man. I thought this book did a nice job of tying in Robinson's story to the overall culture and thoughts of the time period in the US.
Tygiel provides the reader with a much deeper understanding of an event that most of us at least know something about. A fine book that belongs on the bookshelf of the reader who not only enjoys sports, but also history and social science.
Very good, thorough book covering the integration of MLB by Jackie and others. Really tells some fascinating, heart-wrenching stories about what these players went through to reach the majors and when they were there. A high-quality read.
M. Newman
A gripping social history of desegregation centered on the breaking of the "color line" by the great Jackie Robinson, orchestrated by Branch Rickey, at the time, GM of the Brooklyn Dodgers.
This is a well-researched history of the integration of baseball. Although I really enjoyed it, I would only recommend this book for baseball history buffs.
Jackie Robinson is one of the great heroes of the Civil Rights movement, and I came to admire and respect him through this book.
RK Byers
it was refreshing to read that Jackie had such a temper!
my favoite book about my all time favorite Dodger
McKay marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Caroline Nooe
Caroline Nooe marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Anna is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Doug marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
The Mad Zymurgist
The Mad Zymurgist marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Patrick Grady
Patrick Grady marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Shawna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Jcogz43 marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • A Well-Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency in Professional Sports
  • A False Spring
  • The Celebrant
  • The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • Fifty-Nine in '84
  • Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu: John Updike on Ted Williams
  • The Pitch That Killed
  • Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Late Innings: A Baseball Companion
  • Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History
  • Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • October 1964
  • Southern Cross: The Beginnings of the Bible Belt
A graduate of Brooklyn College, Jules Tygiel earned his master's and doctorate degrees at UCLA and taught at the University of Virginia and the University of Tennessee before receiving a position at San Francisco State University. A self-professed fan of baseball, he was the founder of the Pacific Ghost League, a fantasy baseball league.
More about Jules Tygiel...