Hood Rat

Hood Rat

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,636 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Hood Rat (n.): A woman of questionable repute, one who has been known to "get around" in the 'hood.
Yoshi is young, fine, and larcenous. She lives her life playing on men's hearts as well as their pockets. She learns the hard way that all that glitters isn't gold.
Billy, a former high school basketball star, is at the end of her rope with the opposite sex. To her, all men...more
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hood Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hood Rat

Ms.Toni
Introspection

So, HOOD RAT has been sitting on my shelf for years now, taunting me as I walk past. I ain’t no punk and on a mission to put a hurting on my ‘To Be Read Pile,’ I cracked it open. I struggled through chapter one before kindly putting it back down. Beyond tired of these hood ratabulous books about women who aren’t about anything, I just couldn’t. There is so much more to women, African American women in particular. I am so ready to do a Laurence Fishburne in School Daze and yell, “WA...more
kisha
Ok its hard to rate this book because I have so many emotions about this book. I gave it three stars because I was soooooo intrigued by the lifestyle that is partially familiar to me. I've never been "hood" but I grew up in those same kind of neighborhoods. I loved that it was fast-paced. Funny it many areas.

However, I took two stars away because first of all I didnt like trying to get to know 1000 characters. That made it too complicated for me to keep up. By the time I'd pass 40 pages I would...more
Eve B.
I HATED this book in the beginning. I just hate when men write about women and constantly describe their physical. i don't care if she had an onion ass or breasts the size of cantaloupes! LOL

Anywho somewhere in the middle I got into it and it tugged at my heart. I felt for all the characters and cheered each of them on. I loved the ending so much even if it was semi-tragic.

At the end of the day I know someone like each of the characters and this goes on every day. I think this was the message h...more
Shanae
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel...it wasn't anything "special," I'd have to say. I prefer K'wan's writing to the writing of other urban novelists, though.
Michelle Mccullough
Well i be damned! Really the book is what the title says it is. Was i not entertained?! Uuuum yes!!!!
Quan
This was an excellent read. If you haven't read this then you need to get on it!
Cherise Fisher
We just got to do better!! Kwan really makes you see that.
*Ahh' Zah W/  Daa Juicee !//*
dis is thee most craziest book ever!

Because;
Yoshi is young, fine, and Smart, She lives her life playing on men's hearts as well as their pockets. She learns the hard way that all that glitters isn't gold. Billy, a former high school basketball star, is at the end of her rope with the opposite sex. To her, all men are dogs, so she secretly seeks comfort in the arms of women, until she meets a man who makes her...more
Shauntele
I bought this book years ago and actually let a few friends borrow it before I ever read it, instead I started to read Section 8 and loved it. I began Welfare Wifeys and decided to stop half way through. I love K'wan's writing style and knew if I was gonna really enjoy this series, that I needed to start from the beginning. Once I picked up Hood Rat, I couldn't put it down, any chance I got I was reading.

I love all the characters but I loved Yoshi and Billy so much more. Although Yoshi was on h...more
Lanae
I was skeptical but I actually enjoyed this one. It was entertaining and dare i say... a little thought-provoking. Sadly I've come across every single type of woman portrayed in this novel.

All the women in this book should listen to Jill Scott's "Rolling Hills"
Tia
I liked the story. I grew up in the hood but not as intense as this one so I couldn't relate but I liked the story. I loved Yoshi and I loved how jah transformed throughout the book. the ending was crazy, it's not what I expected.
Francesca Reid
I read this book many years ago. Many in 2007. I remember waiting for an ex-boyfriend to get off of work so I walked over to Barnes and Noble to look around as I was always into reading. I stumbled across this book and sat on the floor in the fiction aisle and read the entire book. I've read this author's work before this but since then I've been an avid reader of his. Anything he writes, I will read and support. He's just that good.
Diane Rembert
Harlem, NY is where we find Yoshibelle and her girls Reese, Rhonda and Billy. Four different women with four different issues. On the other side, there's Jah, Marcus, Spooky Don B and a host of others. These men bring heat to the streets in their own unique way.

K'wan has brought the heat to paper with this book, and I look forward to reading the next installment.
LaTonya
WOW, this was an interesting read! This was a page turner and I couldn't put the book down. There were so many characters and the author did a good job of weaving their stories together. There was so much going on in this book that there's too much to break down so I'll just say that it was a good read that I would recommend to others.
Eric Johnson
This book is just WOW! Right when I oppended this book there was already something deep going on. Out of all the books I have read, I think this has to be one of the best books i have read. It is mostly based about 4 girls and how they live their life On the streets.
Ashley
I'm going to have to give this book 3 stars. The story line was great. The ending was definitely not expected which kept me on edge. It could have been better if there were not so many characters, but I will definitely read the entire hood rat series.
Joyanne8f
Mar 29, 2008 Joyanne8f marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my possesion, I plan to reding it, and sticking through it, I have only read the first couple of pages, it lost my interest but I plan on picking it back up. It is about "hood-rats" confused in the hood-life and trying to find a way out.
Sheila
This book was really good, I was surprised because I started this book after this one called "Eve" and it didn't grab me, I put it down and started this one and I'm so glad I did, because this was excellent. Love this author....he's really good.
Jade
This book was also good to read if you just want to get start to the point, and want to read about things that happens in life. I thought this book was good because everything in the book seemed like it was going on in people life.
LaTonya
This was a very interesting and entertaining story, although I hated the ending and wish there could have been a better outcome for Paul. This was good read and I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series.
Bianca Jackson
I really enjoyed this book. I've already recommended it to a few of my friends. It has a good message that everything isn't as it seems and that in the end you have to work for what you want.
Deszion Nasir
Loved it loved it. The characters all stood out and stuck in my memeory throughout the series. This book is what got me hooked on K'wan and got me purchasing alllllll the other books he penned.
Renee
I love the style that K'Wan writes in, I've never read a novel that has the layout like this. It was an amazing book. It had so much deepth and K'Wan developed the characters really well. Loved it!
Lashya
this book is pretty intense! its really good though. i would reccomend this to people 16 and older because it has some sexual content but its still very good =)
Jor'dawn Gibson

I loved this book! Couldn't stop reading it. Loved how all the characters tied in to one another in some way. I think K'wan is one of my new favorite authors!
Rebecca
Fantastic book. Had characters of people that I have known. K'wan is a excellent writer that can't help but pull you in. Loved the book...highly recommend
Kenshawer
This book was about three young african american women who were going through some problem's but managed to maintain themselves by having sex
Tee
Absolutely loved this book....and the series in it's entirety! I recommend it to everyone who loves urban fiction! He's and awesome artist!!!
Jen Yates
This is a really good book, it doesn't have a dull moment from start to finish! He has to be one of my new favorite authors now.
Lezlie (Nancy)
Good book but way too many characters, had a hard time keeping up with all the characters throughout the book.
  • Hold U Down
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Black & Ugly
  • A Gangster's Girl
  • Black Widow
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • Grindin'
  • Crack Head (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Diary of a Street Diva (Dirty Money, #1)
  • The Millionaire Mistress
  • Whore
  • Harlem Girl Lost
  • I'm Still Wifey (Wifey Series, #2)
  • Dirty Red
  • Snapped
  • Bitch (Bitch, #1)
  • Payback Is a Mutha (Payback #1)
In 2002 K'wan hit the scene with his debut novel Gangsta, under Triple Crown Publications. It was the first novel released by the budding house and would eventually become the building block for what is now a multimillion dollar company. What started as a therapeutic release went on to become a part of urban-lit history and an Essence bestseller, as well as drawing rave reviews overseas.
After pen...more
More about K'wan...
Section 8 Welfare Wifeys Still Hood: A HoodRat Novel Animal Eve

“Go ahead, nigga,” Jah said, aiming the pistol at the cabdriver’s face. “You got some frog in you?” 2 likes
“Yeah,” "Jah said, seriously taking in Spooky’s words. “You’re right, my dude. I’m just gonna lay it out for shorty and let the cards fall wherever they fall.” “That’s what I’m talking about.” Spooky nudged him. “And when you speak to Yoshi, ask her if she’s got a friend.” “How the hell … ?” “Jah, you’re like my brother. I know you.” Spooky gave him a wink.” 2 likes