One Generation After

One Generation After

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Twenty years after he and his family were deported from Sighet to Auschwitz, Elie Wiesel returned to his town in search of the watch—a bar mitzvah gift—he had buried in his backyard before they left.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published August 16th 2011 by Schocken (first published October 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about One Generation After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Generation After

Krysten Gorrivan
Again, another deep and intense book written by Weisel. He feels so much and I got a little lost with this book, stopped halfway through when it got too political and angry.
Bobbi Arduini

The first half of this collection of essays is just beautiful and definitely worth reading. The insight and profound truths were unsettling and thought-provoking. Unfortunately, when the book addresses the relationship between Israel and Palestine, the freshness of its language fell. Though I thought it interesting to read a perspective on the conflict from a Holocaust survivor in the late 1960s, and I feel more educated on the subject matter, I can't help but feel that the situation in the Mid...more
Sam
It's a collection of different writings. Wiesel includes diary entries, letters to imaginary figures, and anecdotes from his life. Some of the writing is more abstract and political than I expected, but the anecdotes are as extraordinary as his stories always are.

The high points of the book for me were the Hasidic tales, especially the story of a Hasidic celebration after the war in NYC.
Sharon Zink
Why do I read Elie Wiesenthal? He said in this book that he writes to understand. Maybe he understands, but I certainly did not. He made statements that make no sense to me. He is a Holocaust survivor, and I was hoping for some stories of perseverence or some interviews with other survivors, but instead it was almost all tripe.
Ryan
Pretty much just sounded like Wiesel was pissed and yelling at all of us (the next generation) for not continuing to fight for the rights of Jews. I LOVED "Night" and thought I'd pick this up - not worth it.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Maretta
Maretta is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Chelsea Mcenery
Chelsea Mcenery marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ronette
Ronette marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Erin Jeanne
Erin Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Leah Field
Leah Field marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Anita
Anita added it
Jun 06, 2014
Lev E.
Lev E. marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Teresa
Teresa added it
May 17, 2014
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Aubree Snyder
Aubree Snyder marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Allison
Allison is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Sarah Sindorf
Sarah Sindorf marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Marilyn Delisi
Marilyn Delisi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "...more
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident All Rivers Run to the Sea