Start by marking “Kite Strings of the Southern Cross: A Woman's Travel Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Kite Strings of the Southern Cross: A Woman's Travel Odyssey

Kite Strings of the Southern Cross: A Woman's Travel Odyssey

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A passionate journey of love, discovery, and serendipity radiating from a remote Fijian beach to the far reaches of the globe. Heartwarming, funny, and wise, Laurie Gough has written a profound testament to the invaluable lessons of the road.
Published May 1st 2011 by Travelers' Tales Guides (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Kite Strings of the Southern Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kite Strings of the Southern Cross

Lucy
I enjoyed this book, the descriptions of the places she visits are on the whole compelling and transport you to the place, but sometimes veer into the cheesy or romanticising - same goes for her description of the people, and this becomes more apparent as you get further into the book. Also, she puts herself into some dangerous situations but never really admits it, and you can't be sure whether she is carefree and adventurous or just terribly naive. Dressing up to go out to a seedy brothel, the ...more
Lyn Fuchs
Laurie Gough is the feminist Jack Kerouac. She weaves a lyrical narrative as intricate as the Moroccan carpets she was once drugged into buying. I picked up her book Kite Strings of the Southern Cross with no intention of surrendering my machismo virtue to gooey Goughy prose. Yet, Laurie seduced and ravaged me against my will, and I must say, "I liked it!"

Laurie is a redhaired beauty with freckles on her creamy shoulders that call out to be included among the known constellations. Connecting the
Amy Rudolph
I enjoyed the beginning part of this book very much - Gough writes beautifully, and many passages in this book resonated with me. I was particularly struck, for example, by her vivid descriptions of snorkeling and of sunsets. She has a somewhat grittier philosophy of travel than I do, but I share her interest not just in seeing the pretty monuments and standard tourist sites that everyone sees, but in experiencing "real" life in a foreign land. Her writing brought alive for me the culture and th ...more
Julie
"Kite Strings of the Southern Cross" is indeed "a woman's travel odyssey," a story of wandering in search of paradise, finding it, losing it, and learning to move on.

The book is built around two extended trips to Fiji, but the narrative cuts between those experiences and some of her other travels. This narrative structure has the effect of breaking up the relentless, "first this happened, then that happened" march of time that some travel narratives follow slavishly. It felt much more like how w
Linda
Laurie Gough is a young, fresh voice with a well worn soul in this, her first travel collection. Her willingness to go where a sane person would fear to tread re-enforces the fact that we are all lucky to have survived our youth. Buts, she goes with eyes wide open, sucking in life and giving back tender, insightful reflections upon her haps and mishaps during her wander year at age twenty three. There is not one bruised sunset, instead crimson slashes across the heavens. Her descriptions are int ...more
Joanna
This is a lovely memoir that combines vivid descriptions and entertaining stories of the places she's been with a touch of deeper thinking that illuminates how travel can change you. At moments laugh out loud funny and poignant in others; I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
Kathy Satterfield
One of the most inspirational travel books I have ever read. A near perfect 5, which I have never encountered. I have recommended and gifted this book to many friends. It is the reminder to us to take that leap into adventure.
Aimee Gibson
Great read, I could imagine myself travelling the globe and chilling out in fiji
BarbaraNathalie
I had so much fun travelling tbe globe with Laurie Gough. I travel as often as I can, searching for new experiences, but I would never have the kismet to survive the way Laurie Gough experimented with her mode of relating to strangers in foreign lands. She threw caution to the wind and caught a swell of foolhardy adventures, but she knows herself well, and with little money, discovers a tale. I loved reading her stories for the sheer fun of it, and she influenced my new found love of women trave ...more
Alice
While I enjoyed this book, I can't say I really related to the author. She did some really stupid things (hey - let's dress slutty and go to a brothel! What fun!). But, in Fiji she really did immerse herself in the culture (mostly because of a "hot" guy) and gives the reader a look at what it would be like to live there, if even for a short period of time.
Helki
Aug 09, 2007 Helki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers, people who like travel literature
I was a bit disappointed in this book because I liked it less than Kiss the Sunset Pig. But I still liked it, still enjoyed reading about all the author's travel adventures around the world. Her descriptions are luscious, and her courage makes me want to travel more on my own. (In theory, anyway.)
Lis
An enjoyable travelogue with perceptive observations, much more than a "what I saw and did" more of an account of how places impacted on the author. Being familiar with some of the places Laurie visited added an extra dimension for me.
David
Apr 29, 2008 David rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: an enemy.
In the words of Crash Davis: "Self indulgent, over-rated crap." I even read this while traveling to the places she describes in the book. I just couldn't get into it.

I could go on...but why?
Heather
Manda loaned this to me - great travel memoir - which took me to Fiji and many other amazing places. Armchair traveling at its best!
Shauna
Jun 07, 2013 Shauna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It was really good, the author happens to be my aunt's sister and she is awesome to have conversations with :)
Sarah Somewhere
Brilliant! Absolutely loved every second of this book. I'm inspired as a writer and a traveller!!! Thank you Laurie.
Regina Wood
Not exactly the most well written book I've read...but because I *love* travel writing...I loved it. Inspiring...
::christina
Wonderful travel journal that made me wish I was brave enough to explore fiji on my own.
Natalie Patton
Once again, didn't finish it. Left the last 50 pages to mystery...
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Lori Clark
Lori Clark marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Yvonne Rogers
Yvonne Rogers marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Feb 07, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Almost Fearless: ...: April 2013: Kite Strings of the Southern Cross 11 52 May 27, 2013 02:57AM
  • Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea
  • Take Me With You
  • I & Claudius: Travels With My Cat
  • The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow: A Mirror Odyssey from North Wales to the Black Sea
  • Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)
  • South from the Limpopo: Travels Through South Africa
  • Travelers' Tales: A Woman's World
  • In the Lap of the Gods
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China & Vietnam
  • Surviving Paradise: One Year on a Disappearing Island
  • Second Wind: One Woman's Midlife Quest to Run Seven Marathons on Seven Continents
  • Nearer the Moon: From A Journal of Love - The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1937-1939)
  • Tales from the Expat Harem: Foreign Women in Modern Turkey
  • The Mind Gym: Wake Your Mind Up (The Mind Gym)
  • Cairo: The City Victorious
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • The Lost Heart of Asia
Kiss the Sunset Pig: A Canadian's American Road Trip With Exotic Detours Island of the Human Heart: A Woman's Travel Odyssey: A Woman's Travel Odyssey

“They say in old stories that you can't discover new lands without losing sight of the shore for a long time.” 3 likes