Start by marking “Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #16.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #19.5)” as Want to Read:

Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch #16.5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,949 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch as we've never seen him before, in three never-before-collected stories.

In "Suicide Run," the apparent suicide of a beautiful young starlet turns out to be much more sinister than it seems. In "Cielo Azul," Bosch is haunted by a long-ago closed case -- the murder of a teenage girl who was never identified. As her killer sits on death row, Bosch t

Published October 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Run

Mark
Oct 07, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Michael Connelly
A set of short stories about Harry Bosch.

Suicide run -
Harry is on night duty when called to a suicide. When everybody has concluded that it is a sure suicide Harry is puzzled about the fact that a suicide note is written with a pencil and there is no pencil to be found. This leads to an interesting outcome. Harry with two familiar names in a case that makes sense but also illustrates Bosch fascination with seemingly details.

"Cielo Azul,"
This is about a case that has haunted Harry in his career
Jim
Aug 02, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Several short stories about Harry Bosch. I'm reading them in the chronology of Connelly's universe which includes all his characters since they intertwine a lot.

10.5 - Cielo Azul(2001) - a lot of the story takes place 12 years before this time. Harry is trying to tie up a loose end & remembering what happened. Terry McCaleb is also part of the story way back when he was still with the FBI. 4 stars.

Stopping until I read the intervening books. On to Angle of Investigation which contains 11.5 -
Alan Williams
Sep 29, 2011 Alan Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is a great collection of short stories featuring Harry Bosch, and spanning different times in the detectives back story.

The book as a whole was relatively short and the four stories that it contains include a number of nice cameos from other Connelly characters; Terry McCaleb (Blood Work & The Narrows) and Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer & The Brass verdict), which was a very nice touch.

As a small collection of short stories, this was a very quick read, and easy to read in a day.
Jay Connor
Oct 13, 2011 Jay Connor rated it liked it
Only available for $2.99 as an ebook, "Suicide Run," is not only a good inducement for the upcoming full Bosch novel, "The Drop," but the three stories are pretty good in their own right.

Think maquette: a small scale model or rough draft of an unfinished architectural work or sculpture. Each of the three stories in "Suicide Run," though not fully realized, gives insight into Connelly's creative and constructive process. Though published previously, we know that they take place in the past simply
Jane Stewart
Jan 20, 2013 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Well done short stories. Typical Harry Bosch. I love the guy.

I was tempted to give this 5 stars for the last story. Harry is up against a professional poker player in the interrogation room. I loved the ending of that one. The other stories were good.

NARRATOR:
Sadly I have problems with the narrator. I used to love him, but he has changed. He has trouble pronouncing certain sounds like K and S. It’s stressful to hear him talk. I wonder if he has ill-fitting false teeth. Other than that he is good
Eric
Feb 23, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Bosch books
I really liked these stories -- which seem almost like ideas that Michael Connelly realized weren't robust enough to turn into novels. If each Harry Bosch novel is a big budget Hollywood movie, these stories are the serialized police procedural television show. They also fill in little gaps in Harry's career that are alluded to in the novels.
William
Oct 15, 2015 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A MUST for Bosch fans

Three stories -
Suicide Run
A good short story, with an abrupt ending. Not Connolly's best.

One Dollar Jackpot
A good short story, with a temporary sidekick for Bosch, "Kimber Gunn". This character has real possibilities, and is a friend of Kizmin Rider.

Cielo Azul
This short story is a miniature masterpiece, with an exceptional insight into Harry and his world. (see quotations below). Some of Connolly's finest work here, worth the price of the whole book just for this one powerf
Atef Attia
Angle d'attaque et Intervention suicide sont tous deux sortis en 2011 sous format Electronique et audio books uniquement. Chacune d'elles contenant 3 nouvelles mettant en scène le personnage fétiche de Connelly, l'inusable inspecteur Harry Bosch. Dépendamment de l'ouvrage, un extrait de deux chapitres d'un des livres de l'auteur est présenté à la fin en plus d'une petite bio.

Je suis un grand fan de Michael Connelly et un très très grand fan de la nouvelle (en tout genre, mon premier livre étant
Lakis Fourouklas
Oct 18, 2011 Lakis Fourouklas rated it really liked it

I’d dare say that this October could be named Michael Connelly, or rather Harry Bosch month, since during it no less than three books starring the legendary cop will see the light of day. Never mind that two of them, this one and Angle of Investigation are just short story collections (both out already in England and Ireland) and can only be acquired as eBooks. (There are three short stories in each of them.) The third one, The Drop, is of course a novel, and it will come out on the 27th of Octo
Ami
Oct 14, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
This Kindle edition is best seen as the marketing campaign for the upcoming Harry Bosch's book, The Drop (I read this in October before that one is out). Why? Since the three short stories included are that, SHORT. But you get four chapters for The Drop. I didn't read the three chapters though, I rarely read teasers since I'm an impatient woman.

Anyway ...

"Suicide Run" happened while Harry was still partnered with Jerry Edgar. It's about a suicide actress, except that Harry believes it's not the
Matt
Feb 09, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I will admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the two collections of short stories that Connelly penned about Harry Bosch, SUICIDE RUN and ANGLE OF INVESTIGATION. I will also admit to a slight fog in mental acuity that makes discussing each one individually slightly difficult, so please allow me to generically review both collections in sweeping generalities.

I thoroughly enjoyed the collections, which work as paste to adhere many of the 'missing moments' in Bosch's career and lift. For those die-hard C
Glenda
May 11, 2016 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three stories are all about Harry and his cases with various partners, ex-partners, and others around just to support our Main Man. I really respect the craft of the author as he engages the reader without resorting to violent scenes or surprise characters.
Nuvia
if you want to find out how to scare youre friends this is the perfect ways find out before you dont want to talk about because you might scae yourself
L.A. Starks
Nov 30, 2014 L.A. Starks rated it really liked it
These are very good short stories. Novel-readers may be simply looking for longer content.
Ella McClure
Nov 26, 2016 Ella McClure rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-and-comp
This book was a fairly interesting read. I found it even more so enjoyable because Michael Connelly has (in my opinion) a very noir-related voice in this piece, and I am currently taking a writing class in which we study noir literature. I think that the story was exciting, yet I don't feel it earned five stars based on that it was quite overly straightforward. Other than that, the overall plot was rather exciting and the story easily held my attention. Connelly did a glorious job in making the ...more
pianogal
Nov 04, 2016 pianogal rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, z2016-reads
Three good little short stories. I read them in ebook form and they were a little jumpy, but once I figured that out it was ok. Nice to fill in some Harry Bosch holes.
Jan
Oct 15, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Three good short stories about Harry Bosch
Marni T.
Jun 20, 2012 Marni T. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All myster lovers and any who want to try a new genre
Recommended to Marni by: I stumble upon my first Bosch in the library and was hooked
These short stories are written in the typically wonderful Michael Connelly straightforward succinct style. The fact that Connelly spent real time for several years as a Crime beat reporter for the L. A. Times, making him intimate with the LAPD and police and detective work with their differing levels of advancement lend such authenticity to his novels. I love it. I would suggest reading his non-fiction about that career job that prepared him so well to write fiction. Also, he has thoroughly dev ...more
Mr Adrian Underwood
Great Short Stories

3 great short stories that interlock with Harry's life in the full Novels. As with all of Michael's writing it leaves me wanting more.
Tess Harding
Three short stories from Michael Connelly all centering around Harry Bosch.

If you know Harry Bosch you'll know what to expect, and Michael Connelly delivers.

Reservations would be that Harry needs more room to spread than a short story. The first story concerns Harry and Kizzy Rider tracking down a serial killer through paperwork alone. Great premise, good story but the ending is so abrupt as to cause tyre marks a hundred yards long as the reader comes to a sudden halt.

The strongest of these stor
Dusty Craine
Apr 23, 2012 Dusty Craine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of people complaining about the fact that it's a very short book and how a third of the book is just previews for other books. I guess I don't feel put out by my purchase of this book because I recognize it for what it is. It is a collection of short stories that were previously only available in another format, be it a magazine or story collection. I don't want to buy a book of 10 police stories when I'm only interested in Connelly's Harry Bosch story. This allowed me to read th ...more
Jerry
Apr 21, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
Like “Angle of Investigation”, “Suicide Run” is a Kindle-only “collection” of three short-stories about our long-time hero LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. The upside is that these are fun to read and manage to feature a different partner in each story, including two tales in which Harry informally mentors a patrol officer with interests in becoming detectives. The downside is that these stories are really short – few readers will need more than thirty minutes to get through the entire set of three, ...more
MissSusie
While on the waiting list for The Drop I decided to get my Harry Bosch fix with this collection of short stories. These were a good filler since I have missed Harry it will be great to read a Harry Bosch book not a Mickey Haller book with a cameo by Harry.

In one story there is even a nod to Terry McCaleb.

I listened to this on audio narrated by, Len Cariou who is and always will be the voice of Harry Bosch for me, however I have to say Len's age is starting to show in his voice but I wouldn't wan
M. Dobson
Deep, deep police procedural work. Every once in awhile it's good to be reminded that what we read in literature and see on TV and movies is a long way from reality. I'm a person who enjoys them. In fact, I enjoyed this.

Overall, it was a pleasure for me to hear (audio version) and I find them comforting, but that's the subgenre not necessarily these stories.

I rated it as three stars. i enjoyed, but could have lived without it as well. I can recommend it to readers seeking heavy procedural for r
Nanosynergy
Three short stories about cases/investigations of LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. Not enough there to spin into a longer story. Fans needing a Bosch fix may enjoy these stories having read other books in the series which gives additional context. Would not recommend the short stories to those who have never read other Bosch books.

Final note: E-book ends with a preview of The Drop - also making this book part of the marketing for the release of the longer Connelly book when it was released.
Donna
Oct 30, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is weird. I've been very unfocused lately, in the middle of six or seven different books that I want to finish but don't seem to want to read when I have a little time. I was actually craving a new Harry Bosch story, wanting to know what's going on in his world. It was like having a craving to visit an old friend. However, the next installment of the series won't be released until the end of November.

So I browsed the name of the author, Michael Connelly, on amazon.com, found this little col
Ron Chicaferro
Oct 17, 2011 Ron Chicaferro rated it it was amazing
If you're a Michael Connelly fan (and who isn't!) you'll love Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories. Harry Bosch is an LAPD Detective and the protagonist of many of the Connelly books. Connelly is a former newspaper crime reporter so his writing is fast, crisp and to the point. These three short stories are about crimes, criminals and the cops who deal in this world. They are exceptional short stories that make you cry that each isn't a full size novel. Connelly is the master of crime and the p ...more
Mike Kennedy
Feb 11, 2012 Mike Kennedy rated it it was ok
Shelves: michael-connelly
Sad to say, but I think Connelly wrote this series of shorts stories because he was looking to cash in. In his defense it is hard to write a good story in 15 to 30 pages, but I still feel that I wasted my $. The killer is announced or obvious in the first few pages of each short. Unfortunately, I already download the other ebook he has, angle of investigation, so I am waiting to be disappointed.
Debbie Jarrell
Oct 17, 2011 Debbie Jarrell rated it it was amazing
These are 3 short stories with Harry Bosch as the main character. The first story is about what appears to be a suicide but isn't. The second story involves a young girl that is kidnapped, killed and thrown over a hillside. And the final story is about a professional poker player that wins big, then is found shot to death in her car in her own driveway. Of course Harry solves all 3 crimes in short order. These stories make me glad I don't live in LA.
Lisa
This was a great collection of short stories that spanned many time periods in Bosch's career. It brought in many former partners, like Kiz Rider, and favorite characters Terry McCaleb and Mickey Haller. Even though these were short stories, they were a satisfying glimpse into Harry's psyche. This is a must read for Harry Bosch fans! I will definitely be reading other short story collections involving my all time favorite detective.
Goodreads Librari...: combining 5 76 Dec 08, 2011 10:46AM
  • Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories
  • Known Dead
  • Vengeance (Lew Fonesca, #1)
  • Maigret Afraid
  • Bloody Passage
  • St Kilda Blues (Charlie Berlin, #3)
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • Red on Red
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War, #9)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #12)

“The air they drove through was clear and crisp. They kept the windows up and their expectations down. The call was a suicide run. They” 0 likes