Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories

Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,582 ratings  ·  103 reviews
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch as we've never seen him before, in three never-before-collected stories.

In "Suicide Run," the apparent suicide of a beautiful young starlet turns out to be much more sinister than it seems. In "Cielo Azul," Bosch is haunted by a long-ago closed case -- the murder of a teenage girl who was never identified. As her killer sits on death row, Bosch t...more
Published (first published September 27th 2011)

Jay Connor
Only available for $2.99 as an ebook, "Suicide Run," is not only a good inducement for the upcoming full Bosch novel, "The Drop," but the three stories are pretty good in their own right.

Think maquette: a small scale model or rough draft of an unfinished architectural work or sculpture. Each of the three stories in "Suicide Run," though not fully realized, gives insight into Connelly's creative and constructive process. Though published previously, we know that they take place in the past simply...more
Jane Stewart
Well done short stories. Typical Harry Bosch. I love the guy.

I was tempted to give this 5 stars for the last story. Harry is up against a professional poker player in the interrogation room. I loved the ending of that one. The other stories were good.

NARRATOR:
Sadly I have problems with the narrator. I used to love him, but he has changed. He has trouble pronouncing certain sounds like K and S. It’s stressful to hear him talk. I wonder if he has ill-fitting false teeth. Other than that he is good...more
Alan Williams
This is a great collection of short stories featuring Harry Bosch, and spanning different times in the detectives back story.

The book as a whole was relatively short and the four stories that it contains include a number of nice cameos from other Connelly characters; Terry McCaleb (Blood Work & The Narrows) and Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer & The Brass verdict), which was a very nice touch.

As a small collection of short stories, this was a very quick read, and easy to read in a day....more
Eric
Feb 23, 2012 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Bosch books
I really liked these stories -- which seem almost like ideas that Michael Connelly realized weren't robust enough to turn into novels. If each Harry Bosch novel is a big budget Hollywood movie, these stories are the serialized police procedural television show. They also fill in little gaps in Harry's career that are alluded to in the novels.
Matt
I will admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the two collections of short stories that Connelly penned about Harry Bosch, SUICIDE RUN and ANGLE OF INVESTIGATION. I will also admit to a slight fog in mental acuity that makes discussing each one individually slightly difficult, so please allow me to generically review both collections in sweeping generalities.

I thoroughly enjoyed the collections, which work as paste to adhere many of the 'missing moments' in Bosch's career and lift. For those die-hard C...more
Lakis Fourouklas

I’d dare say that this October could be named Michael Connelly, or rather Harry Bosch month, since during it no less than three books starring the legendary cop will see the light of day. Never mind that two of them, this one and Angle of Investigation are just short story collections (both out already in England and Ireland) and can only be acquired as eBooks. (There are three short stories in each of them.) The third one, The Drop, is of course a novel, and it will come out on the 27th of Octo...more
Ami
This Kindle edition is best seen as the marketing campaign for the upcoming Harry Bosch's book, The Drop (I read this in October before that one is out). Why? Since the three short stories included are that, SHORT. But you get four chapters for The Drop. I didn't read the three chapters though, I rarely read teasers since I'm an impatient woman.

Anyway ...

"Suicide Run" happened while Harry was still partnered with Jerry Edgar. It's about a suicide actress, except that Harry believes it's not the...more
Nuvia
if you want to find out how to scare youre friends this is the perfect ways find out before you dont want to talk about because you might scae yourself
Tess Harding
Three short stories from Michael Connelly all centering around Harry Bosch.

If you know Harry Bosch you'll know what to expect, and Michael Connelly delivers.

Reservations would be that Harry needs more room to spread than a short story. The first story concerns Harry and Kizzy Rider tracking down a serial killer through paperwork alone. Great premise, good story but the ending is so abrupt as to cause tyre marks a hundred yards long as the reader comes to a sudden halt.

The strongest of these stor...more
Marni T.
Jun 20, 2012 Marni T. rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All myster lovers and any who want to try a new genre
Recommended to Marni by: I stumble upon my first Bosch in the library and was hooked
These short stories are written in the typically wonderful Michael Connelly straightforward succinct style. The fact that Connelly spent real time for several years as a Crime beat reporter for the L. A. Times, making him intimate with the LAPD and police and detective work with their differing levels of advancement lend such authenticity to his novels. I love it. I would suggest reading his non-fiction about that career job that prepared him so well to write fiction. Also, he has thoroughly dev...more
Dusty Craine
I've read a lot of people complaining about the fact that it's a very short book and how a third of the book is just previews for other books. I guess I don't feel put out by my purchase of this book because I recognize it for what it is. It is a collection of short stories that were previously only available in another format, be it a magazine or story collection. I don't want to buy a book of 10 police stories when I'm only interested in Connelly's Harry Bosch story. This allowed me to read th...more
Jerry
Like “Angle of Investigation”, “Suicide Run” is a Kindle-only “collection” of three short-stories about our long-time hero LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. The upside is that these are fun to read and manage to feature a different partner in each story, including two tales in which Harry informally mentors a patrol officer with interests in becoming detectives. The downside is that these stories are really short – few readers will need more than thirty minutes to get through the entire set of three,...more
MissSusie
While on the waiting list for The Drop I decided to get my Harry Bosch fix with this collection of short stories. These were a good filler since I have missed Harry it will be great to read a Harry Bosch book not a Mickey Haller book with a cameo by Harry.

In one story there is even a nod to Terry McCaleb.

I listened to this on audio narrated by, Len Cariou who is and always will be the voice of Harry Bosch for me, however I have to say Len's age is starting to show in his voice but I wouldn't wan...more
Kylie
3 short stories chronicling 3 crimes in Harry's investigative career.

I particularly liked the second story, told in first person and featuring Terry McCaleb, where you learn some interesting back story about Cielo Azul.

Nothing startling, but always a solid read.
Donna
This is weird. I've been very unfocused lately, in the middle of six or seven different books that I want to finish but don't seem to want to read when I have a little time. I was actually craving a new Harry Bosch story, wanting to know what's going on in his world. It was like having a craving to visit an old friend. However, the next installment of the series won't be released until the end of November.

So I browsed the name of the author, Michael Connelly, on amazon.com, found this little col...more
Karen
I love Michael Connelly books for audio listening. I especially enjoy Harry Bosh.
Herb
I like any book with Harry Bosch. This is 3 short story. All 3 good.
Ron Chicaferro
If you're a Michael Connelly fan (and who isn't!) you'll love Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories. Harry Bosch is an LAPD Detective and the protagonist of many of the Connelly books. Connelly is a former newspaper crime reporter so his writing is fast, crisp and to the point. These three short stories are about crimes, criminals and the cops who deal in this world. They are exceptional short stories that make you cry that each isn't a full size novel. Connelly is the master of crime and the p...more
R.S. Jinks
I loved the stories in this collection. I suppose it's because Connelly made me feel for the victims in each one. They were so good I wish that each was the subject of a full length novel.
Beth
The last story is a bit weak, but the others are good.
Cdr Tom
I really liked these short stories as they filled in some gaps between the novel series
Debbie Jarrell
These are 3 short stories with Harry Bosch as the main character. The first story is about what appears to be a suicide but isn't. The second story involves a young girl that is kidnapped, killed and thrown over a hillside. And the final story is about a professional poker player that wins big, then is found shot to death in her car in her own driveway. Of course Harry solves all 3 crimes in short order. These stories make me glad I don't live in LA.
Lisa
This was a great collection of short stories that spanned many time periods in Bosch's career. It brought in many former partners, like Kiz Rider, and favorite characters Terry McCaleb and Mickey Haller. Even though these were short stories, they were a satisfying glimpse into Harry's psyche. This is a must read for Harry Bosch fans! I will definitely be reading other short story collections involving my all time favorite detective.
Bruce Snell
Three Harry Bosch short stories from Michael Connelly. The first two of these stories were written 15 to 20 years ago, and the third was fairly recent based on the partners Harry had in each story. It was nice to read a Harry Bosch story without any of the usual politics, just Harry solving a murder - and providing insight into the way his mind works - and why. My only complaint was that I wanted more, three stories simply was not enough.
Mark Mallett
Three decent short stories featuring the Harry Bosch character: Suicide Run, Cielo Azul, and One-Dollar Jackpot. The first and third are interesting procedurals with a bit of skill and twist. The second is a more hard-hitting psychological reflection - notable also for being a first person narrative rather than third person like the other two. A good quick read which makes me want to get back to the series of novels.
Mike Kennedy
Sad to say, but I think Connelly wrote this series of shorts stories because he was looking to cash in. In his defense it is hard to write a good story in 15 to 30 pages, but I still feel that I wasted my $. The killer is announced or obvious in the first few pages of each short. Unfortunately, I already download the other ebook he has, angle of investigation, so I am waiting to be disappointed.
Scott Brazil
As was the case with "Angle of Investigation," these short stories provided me with a Michael Connelly fix to help hold me over until his next novel comes out in November. The story "Suicide Run" was actually very good, while the other two were so-so...well written, but sort of felt like they were missing something, or lacked suspense. Still, I am glad I took the time to read them.
Mel
Three very short stories Harry Bosch stories to fill fans over until the next installment of Bosch series is released next month. Some readers have complained the stories were too short, but this only cost about $1 on Amazon. The stories take place during various points in Bosch's career. I particularly enjoyed reading the about the case that brought Bosch and Terry McCaleb together.
Brian Brackeen
Not a bad collection of short stories. The second one, Cielo Azul well illustrates the tormented soul that must accompany Homicide Detectives. Like I would know anything about that, but it did come off as very haunting and very real.

The third was awesome as well, classic Bosch about a murdered poker player, super.

All in all, I loved it and it was a nice read.
Cathie
Harry Bosch is a great character and I really enjoy learning more about LA and the Hollywood area and the things that tend to go on there. I'm finding I like the police prodedural novels a lot and Michael Connelly does a great job delving in there and getting all the details including the lingo and behaviors of the different cops. Really entertaining.
Goodreads Librari...: combining 5 75 Dec 07, 2011 05:46PM
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • High Heat (Jack Reacher, #17.5)
  • Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • Known Dead
  • Bones In Her Pocket  (Temperance Brennan, #15.5)
  • John Doe (Rizzoli & Isles, #9.5)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • Plan B: A Nick Heller Story (Nick Heller, #3)
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • Vengeance (Mystery Writers of America Presents)
  • Greed
  • Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3)
  • Red on Red
  • Forced to Kill (Nathan McBride, #2)
  • Triple Threat
  • Truck Stop
  • The Book Case
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache...more
More about Michael Connelly...
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1) The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1) The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4) The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)