Start by marking “Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Short Stories

Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Short Stories (Harry Bosch Universe)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,323 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch as we've never seen him before, in three never-before-collected stories.

In "Suicide Run," the apparent suicide of a beautiful young starlet turns out to be much more sinister than it seems. In "Cielo Azul," Bosch is haunted by a long-ago closed case -- the murder of a teenage girl who was never identified. As her killer sits on death row, Bosch t

Published October 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Run

Mark
Oct 07, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Michael Connelly
A set of short stories about Harry Bosch.

Suicide run -
Harry is on night duty when called to a suicide. When everybody has concluded that it is a sure suicide Harry is puzzled about the fact that a suicide note is written with a pencil and there is no pencil to be found. This leads to an interesting outcome. Harry with two familiar names in a case that makes sense but also illustrates Bosch fascination with seemingly details.

"Cielo Azul,"
This is about a case that has haunted Harry in his career
Alan Williams
Sep 29, 2011 Alan Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is a great collection of short stories featuring Harry Bosch, and spanning different times in the detectives back story.

The book as a whole was relatively short and the four stories that it contains include a number of nice cameos from other Connelly characters; Terry McCaleb (Blood Work & The Narrows) and Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer & The Brass verdict), which was a very nice touch.

As a small collection of short stories, this was a very quick read, and easy to read in a day.
Jay Connor
Oct 13, 2011 Jay Connor rated it liked it
Only available for $2.99 as an ebook, "Suicide Run," is not only a good inducement for the upcoming full Bosch novel, "The Drop," but the three stories are pretty good in their own right.

Think maquette: a small scale model or rough draft of an unfinished architectural work or sculpture. Each of the three stories in "Suicide Run," though not fully realized, gives insight into Connelly's creative and constructive process. Though published previously, we know that they take place in the past simply
Jane Stewart
Jan 20, 2013 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Well done short stories. Typical Harry Bosch. I love the guy.

I was tempted to give this 5 stars for the last story. Harry is up against a professional poker player in the interrogation room. I loved the ending of that one. The other stories were good.

NARRATOR:
Sadly I have problems with the narrator. I used to love him, but he has changed. He has trouble pronouncing certain sounds like K and S. It’s stressful to hear him talk. I wonder if he has ill-fitting false teeth. Other than that he is good
Atef Attia
Angle d'attaque et Intervention suicide sont tous deux sortis en 2011 sous format Electronique et audio books uniquement. Chacune d'elles contenant 3 nouvelles mettant en scène le personnage fétiche de Connelly, l'inusable inspecteur Harry Bosch. Dépendamment de l'ouvrage, un extrait de deux chapitres d'un des livres de l'auteur est présenté à la fin en plus d'une petite bio.

Je suis un grand fan de Michael Connelly et un très très grand fan de la nouvelle (en tout genre, mon premier livre étant
Eric
Feb 23, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Bosch books
I really liked these stories -- which seem almost like ideas that Michael Connelly realized weren't robust enough to turn into novels. If each Harry Bosch novel is a big budget Hollywood movie, these stories are the serialized police procedural television show. They also fill in little gaps in Harry's career that are alluded to in the novels.
William
Oct 15, 2015 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A MUST for Bosch fans

Three stories -
Suicide Run
A good short story, with an abrupt ending. Not Connolly's best.

One Dollar Jackpot
A good short story, with a temporary sidekick for Bosch, "Kimber Gunn". This character has real possibilities, and is a friend of Kizmin Rider.

Cielo Azul
This short story is a miniature masterpiece, with an exceptional insight into Harry and his world. (see quotations below). Some of Connolly's finest work here, worth the price of the whole book just for this one powerf
Matt
Feb 09, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I will admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the two collections of short stories that Connelly penned about Harry Bosch, SUICIDE RUN and ANGLE OF INVESTIGATION. I will also admit to a slight fog in mental acuity that makes discussing each one individually slightly difficult, so please allow me to generically review both collections in sweeping generalities.

I thoroughly enjoyed the collections, which work as paste to adhere many of the 'missing moments' in Bosch's career and lift. For those die-hard C
Lakis Fourouklas
Oct 18, 2011 Lakis Fourouklas rated it really liked it

I’d dare say that this October could be named Michael Connelly, or rather Harry Bosch month, since during it no less than three books starring the legendary cop will see the light of day. Never mind that two of them, this one and Angle of Investigation are just short story collections (both out already in England and Ireland) and can only be acquired as eBooks. (There are three short stories in each of them.) The third one, The Drop, is of course a novel, and it will come out on the 27th of Octo
Ami
Oct 14, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
This Kindle edition is best seen as the marketing campaign for the upcoming Harry Bosch's book, The Drop (I read this in October before that one is out). Why? Since the three short stories included are that, SHORT. But you get four chapters for The Drop. I didn't read the three chapters though, I rarely read teasers since I'm an impatient woman.

Anyway ...

"Suicide Run" happened while Harry was still partnered with Jerry Edgar. It's about a suicide actress, except that Harry believes it's not the
Glenda
May 11, 2016 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three stories are all about Harry and his cases with various partners, ex-partners, and others around just to support our Main Man. I really respect the craft of the author as he engages the reader without resorting to violent scenes or surprise characters.
L.A. Starks
Nov 30, 2014 L.A. Starks rated it really liked it
These are very good short stories. Novel-readers may be simply looking for longer content.
Nuvia
if you want to find out how to scare youre friends this is the perfect ways find out before you dont want to talk about because you might scae yourself
M. Dobson
Deep, deep police procedural work. Every once in awhile it's good to be reminded that what we read in literature and see on TV and movies is a long way from reality. I'm a person who enjoys them. In fact, I enjoyed this.

Overall, it was a pleasure for me to hear (audio version) and I find them comforting, but that's the subgenre not necessarily these stories.

I rated it as three stars. i enjoyed, but could have lived without it as well. I can recommend it to readers seeking heavy procedural for r
Tess Harding
Three short stories from Michael Connelly all centering around Harry Bosch.

If you know Harry Bosch you'll know what to expect, and Michael Connelly delivers.

Reservations would be that Harry needs more room to spread than a short story. The first story concerns Harry and Kizzy Rider tracking down a serial killer through paperwork alone. Great premise, good story but the ending is so abrupt as to cause tyre marks a hundred yards long as the reader comes to a sudden halt.

The strongest of these stor
Marni T.
Jun 20, 2012 Marni T. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All myster lovers and any who want to try a new genre
Recommended to Marni by: I stumble upon my first Bosch in the library and was hooked
These short stories are written in the typically wonderful Michael Connelly straightforward succinct style. The fact that Connelly spent real time for several years as a Crime beat reporter for the L. A. Times, making him intimate with the LAPD and police and detective work with their differing levels of advancement lend such authenticity to his novels. I love it. I would suggest reading his non-fiction about that career job that prepared him so well to write fiction. Also, he has thoroughly dev ...more
Dusty Craine
Apr 23, 2012 Dusty Craine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of people complaining about the fact that it's a very short book and how a third of the book is just previews for other books. I guess I don't feel put out by my purchase of this book because I recognize it for what it is. It is a collection of short stories that were previously only available in another format, be it a magazine or story collection. I don't want to buy a book of 10 police stories when I'm only interested in Connelly's Harry Bosch story. This allowed me to read th ...more
Tom Gorski
Apr 07, 2015 Tom Gorski rated it liked it
A favorite author but short stories don't really work for the Harry Bosch as they are solved too quickly and don't have the signature pieces (restaurants in LA, streets to use to avoid traffic issues, and especially West Coast jazz references). None the less, for the dedicate reader of his novels these need to be read.
Marge
Apr 26, 2015 Marge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
A short story collection which weaves in some of the cases Harry has alluded to in the books. It was nice to see some of the other characters and to fill in the background. Probably more worth it if you've read at least five or six of the Bosch books.
Jerry
Apr 21, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
Like “Angle of Investigation”, “Suicide Run” is a Kindle-only “collection” of three short-stories about our long-time hero LAPD Detective Harry Bosch. The upside is that these are fun to read and manage to feature a different partner in each story, including two tales in which Harry informally mentors a patrol officer with interests in becoming detectives. The downside is that these stories are really short – few readers will need more than thirty minutes to get through the entire set of three, ...more
Donna Mcnab
Dec 11, 2014 Donna Mcnab rated it liked it
Harry Bosch, working as a police detective, solves three interesting crimes in this book. I am not usually fond of short stories, but I liked these very much, and a quick resolution to a crime is always nice!
George
Aug 18, 2014 George rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Two and a half Harry Bosch stories -- two are great and reflect his greatness as reflected through the author. Great whodunits. I was a little peeved that the third read/listen was just the first few chapters of another book. I hate it when they do that!
MissSusie
While on the waiting list for The Drop I decided to get my Harry Bosch fix with this collection of short stories. These were a good filler since I have missed Harry it will be great to read a Harry Bosch book not a Mickey Haller book with a cameo by Harry.

In one story there is even a nod to Terry McCaleb.

I listened to this on audio narrated by, Len Cariou who is and always will be the voice of Harry Bosch for me, however I have to say Len's age is starting to show in his voice but I wouldn't wan
Kathleen
Apr 23, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
I was wanting a Harry Bosch "fix", but got more of a fizzle...
A quick, mindless read that lacked the character and plot development that make his other works so compelling.
Kylie
Jan 27, 2014 Kylie rated it really liked it
3 short stories chronicling 3 crimes in Harry's investigative career.

I particularly liked the second story, told in first person and featuring Terry McCaleb, where you learn some interesting back story about Cielo Azul.

Nothing startling, but always a solid read.
Jack Hardy
Nov 12, 2015 Jack Hardy rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read with Connelly!

Three tales, short, tightly developed, great character development, court dialogue well woven to gain and hold your curiosity: a 5-star value.
Lili
Oct 26, 2015 Lili rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
A set of three short stories involving Harry Bosch, all are interesting and enjoyable reads , they fill in a few gaps from the originals. Well worth reading.
Donna
Oct 30, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is weird. I've been very unfocused lately, in the middle of six or seven different books that I want to finish but don't seem to want to read when I have a little time. I was actually craving a new Harry Bosch story, wanting to know what's going on in his world. It was like having a craving to visit an old friend. However, the next installment of the series won't be released until the end of November.

So I browsed the name of the author, Michael Connelly, on amazon.com, found this little col
Kevin
Feb 18, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
Not usually a fan of short stories, but Micahel Connelly is dependable and Harry Bosch is always interesting and entertaining. Very enjoyable.
Stacy
Mar 15, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
70% is stories

The rest is intro to a novel. While i have read and enjoyed the Bosch novels the shorts don't do him justice
Goodreads Librari...: combining 5 76 Dec 07, 2011 05:46PM
  • Always Say Goodbye (Lew Fonesca, #5)
  • Known Dead
  • Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories
  • Red on Red
  • Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
  • Greed
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • Quicksilver (The Forensic Geology Series, #1)
  • St Kilda Blues (Charlie Berlin, #3)
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • A Touch of Deceit
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch Universe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Blood Work (Harry Bosch Universe, #7; Terry McCaleb #1)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch Universe, #10)