Babe: The Legend Comes to Life

Babe: The Legend Comes to Life

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Babe Ruth moved beyond the baselines and outfield fences of the baseball stadiums that brought him riches and adulations to become a genuine American hero. In this acclaimed biography, Creamer reveals the man behind the legend. "The best biography ever written about an American sports figure".--Sports Illustrated.
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road (first published 1974)

Samuel Godinho
Babe: The Legend comes to life is a biography on Babe Ruth, it focuses mainly around his career and what made him such a respected baseball player, but it also has chapters on his childhood and school. It mentions how he trained and his early baseball career. Babe Ruth had a major impact on baseball and changed New York's history.

I really liked this book! There is a lot of interesting facts about any little thing he did, there are a few curse words which means it's intended for a more mature aud...more
Paul Frandano
Often cited as the consensus "best sports biography" - that's surely a baseball-loving-driven consensus - Bob Creamer's book is two books in one: yes, it's the story of George Herman Ruth's rise from familiar Baltimore streets to pitching, and later hitting, stardom with the Boston Red Sox and that other team. It is just as importantly the story of how a single deed - theater impresario and Sox owner Harry Frazee's famous act of perfidy, selling Ruth to the Yankees for $125K to finance "My Lady...more
Mighty_k24
In’t kort: een gedetailleerde biografie van George ‘Babe’ Ruth, de vermaarde, zelfs iconische baseballer die bijna in zijn eentje van baseball the national pastime maakte in de 20s en 30s van de vorige eeuw. Het boek is chronologisch opgebouwd, zonder tijdsprongen, en geeft ook een goed beeld van ‘de tijd van toen’.

Mijn oordeel: ik kende Ruth van enkele verhalen (the called shot en zijn home-run-record bijvoorbeeld) en zag ook de (niet bijster goede) biopic met John Goodman in de hoofdrol. Dit b...more
M. Milner
A solid, occasionally remarkable look at arguably the most iconic baseball player ever, Robert W. Creamer’s Babe: The Legend Comes to Life is worth a read, but it’s a little dated.

Creamer does a good job of recounting all the stories you’ve heard about these years and thankfully mute on the idea of curses. He covers the glory years like 1921, when he hit .378/.512/.846 with 59 home runs and the 1927 Yankees, who won 110 games and destroyed Pittsburgh in the World Series. Each season is recounte...more
Brian
This is the life story of George Herman (Babe) Ruth from his birth in 1895 in Baltimore to his death in 1948 in New York City. It traces his upbringing, mostly in St. Mary's home for boys, his rise as a baseball player, first for the minor league team in Baltimore, then as a pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, and finally as an outfielder for the New York Yankees. Creamer does a great job of documenting just how dominant Babe Ruth was in his day. His 1921 batting statistics remain incredibly impress...more
Steve
Not your average sports biography. I only learned about this one when I read the author's obit over the summer, when the book was called a definitive bio of the Babe. No hyperbole there.
This isn't some children's biography of a great sports hero, the kind we all found in the elementary school library about everyone from the Babe to Edison to colonial heros, etc. and grew up reading. Rather, this is a look at Babe Ruth the myth and the man, weighted heavily on the side of the man. Creamer debunks...more
Rick
Long before Barry Bonds was the home run king, there was the Babe. Arguably no other figure in American sports history is wrapped in more mystery and reverence as George Herman “Babe” Ruth. Robert Creamer is well aware of this and in his masterful biography BABE: THE LEGEND COMES TO LIFE, he strips away the legends and reveals the man.

This wonderfully rich and detailed book was first published in 1974 and routinely makes the “best of” lists whenever sports books are mentioned. But it wasn’t unti...more
Straker
Jul 13, 2011 Straker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of baseball history
Originally published in 1974, Creamer's book was the first "serious" biography of Ruth and remains the standard work on the subject. The first few chapters are a bit slow as the author painstakingly chips away at decades of apocrypha and rumor to reconcile the many conflicting accounts of the Babe's youth. The pace picks up once Ruth reaches the big leagues and really takes off after he's sold to the Yankees. Creamer is frank about the Babe's ravenous appetites and the effect these had on those...more
Karl
I knew Babe was a wonderful baseball player before reading this book but after finishing it I have no doubt he was the greatest to ever play the game. There maybe to much "baseball" in this book for the casual fan but it is worth reading to discover Babe the person, warts and all.
Stan Takemoto
The definitive biography of the larger than life piece of Americana.

This is a reissue of a book that was written in 1974, well before Barry Bonds and the Steroid era.

This was a really quick read - not because it's a small and easy to read book, but because Mr. Creamer does a great job holding your attention. You have to figure out some of the slang that's used, both by the subject of the book and the author. Since all events of this book occur in the first half of the 20th century, the author re...more
Scotty tooHotty
Babe was everything to baseball and sports. This is one of the best biographies ever written. A reader doesn't have to love baseball to enjoy the stories of the sultan of swat. Not only did he live big but he made baseball and sports big. He is responsible for Yankee stadium, pinstripes on the Yankee uniforms because the owner thought that they would make him look thinner and numbers on the back of jerserys so they could sell programs and fans could identify their heroes. This is one of the best...more
Bob Allen
Babe Ruth really does come to life in this popular (versus scholarly) biography. I didn't realize how well-rounded a player Ruth was. The legend is great slugger, good pitcher, lots of strike-outs; the truth is great slugger (arguably the best ever even to now), very good if sometimes erratic pitcher, high batting averages, good all-around player. His personal life was a mess — heavy drinker, constant womanizer, egotistic, unreal and irrational self-image, fun to be around, notoriously self-cent...more
Nancy Graham
Excellent. Focuses on Ruth's amazing on-field exploits with jaunts into his much-hyped personal life. A home run powerhouse, Babe Ruth came to prominence in an era when 12 homers a season topped the league and then he consistently hit more than 40. Ruth was so much more than a home run hitter, though -- routinely among league leaders in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. He was also an effective base stealer, pitcher and fielder. One of the first five ballplayers admitt...more
Loren
I love the Babe, I hate this book. Very very poorly written, attempts to write like it's a doctoral thesis.
Christopher Nieman
One of the great sports biographies I've read. The Babe is truly the giant of all 20th century sports figures, and Robert Creamer vividly portrays his life in full color. No other athlete played as big as he played or lived as big as he lived. It is empathetic without being fawning, epic without being grandiose, and it lays out Babe Ruth's life warts and all. The man and the myth are here for us to behold. They don't make 'em like Babe Ruth anymore. Strongly recommended for any baseball fan.
Haven Ayres
i'd love for someone to find me a more interesting baseball legend because it is as impossible as beating george herman ruth in a hot dog eating contest. the man was an uncompromising pompous ass and somehow at the same time was lovable which makes him easy to relate to for me. as someone who fully believes in living fast and in the moment babe ruth is a man who did that til the very end. i find it hard to imagine a more truthful look into the giant's life than the one creamer has given us.
Matt Moran
Enjoyable book, well researched, unnecessarily long.

Part Two (Yankee Years) is far more interesting than Part One which feels at times like a bunch of newspaper reports strung together.

Couple takeaways:

Ch. 28 ("Kaleidoscope") is the best chapter for getting Creamer's take on the Babe's personality.

My favorite (random) anecdote was from the Babe's trip to Switzerland in 1934.

"Can you ski? an incredulous reporter asked.

Babe: "Can I ski? I'm a champ at that game."
Daniel Nelson
Creamer is won of the classical baseball writers of all time. This is THE definitive biography on Babe Ruth written with a richness that really opens up the legend and life of the greatest baseball player of all time. There are some stirring passages that I still remember from this book. Ruth was probably the first larger than life celebrity in modern sports history and his impact on sports, culture and society are all contained in Creamer's masterful book.
Chickens McShiterson
Quite possibly one of the best biographies I've ever read. Thoroughly objective, interesting, and above all, entertaining. Creamer takes a no-holds barred look at one of sport's most enigmatic and revered figures, recapping some of baseball's most astronomical feats, and unveiling a man who despite his God-like legend, was a fallible, sometimes troubled soul. Truly an excellent piece of work that even a Red Sox fan would love.
John Cress
This is a great book on Babe Ruth that is not just about tossing out a bunch of stats on how great of a ballplayer he was. Yes, there is a fair amount regarding his on the fields feats but this also includes stories of Ruth off the field. It follows his childhood through the beginning, prime, and end of his career. What makes the book interesting in that his off the field persona is just as compelling as his on the field talents.
Austin Gisriel
An excellent biography--I'm sorry that it took me so long to read it after it was first published! The Babe is great fun to hang out with. His lack of sophistication and crudity somehow add to his charm, a rare combination (although too many think that they pull off this combination.) Babe was as great at living to the fullest as he was at playing baseball and at that, he was the best of all time. Highly recommended.
Alshia Delores Moyez
This was great- one of my favorite sports bios. I know the author did a lot of research but I often found myself experiencing what I did while reading Boulevard of Broken Dreams -the James Dean bio. There were just too many details in places where there shouldn't have been. I can't explain it but a lot of this felt like these were details the author (or anyone else besides Babe)couldn't possibly have known.
Jordan
Sep 19, 2007 Jordan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Babe Ruth fans, Sports nuts
This book sheds light on one of the most famous sports figures in history. It also offers a peek into what life was like for players in general and the state of the game at that time. Creamer gives a great portrait of Babe, even though the picture the reader gets leaves them with a great dislike of the Babe. He may be one of the more celebrated players of baseball, but as a person he wasn't exactly great.
AmblingBooks
"This book does far more than tell the facts and myths of Babe Ruth's life. It chronicles a time when baseball was played only on grass and a western road trip for East Coast teams meant a train ride to St. Louis." � AudioFile

Listen to Babe on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
R.L.
A depressing look at how Ruth squandered his talent. Even though he's one of baseball's all-time greats, how much better might he have been if he had taken care of himself physically and emotionally?

Babe was a symbol of the roaring '20s--and also a template for many overpaid and emotionlly and morally underdeveloped sports superstars of a century later.
Tony Almquist
A very entertaining look at the man who still is the most famous baseball player in the world, more than 75 years after he played his last game. Because the book was written in 1974, many of Ruth's contemporaries were still alive and used as first person sources. A book that every baseball fan would enjoy.
Todd
As thorough and honest as I had hoped. Great read well worth picking up.
George Bradford
Babe Ruth started his major league career as a PITCHER. And he was GREAT. (He was undefeated in four World Series starts, posting a 2-0 record.) Then the Red Sox traded him to the Yankees and all hell broke lose.
Dave
It's never clear exactly how Creamer gets his quotes, but he paints a vivid picture of a full life. There's just so much here that it feels like he's merely skimming the surface of Ruth's extraordinary life.
John Desmond
This is the worst biography ever...ever! Creamer wanders way off topic way too frequently. My advice: read the back of a Cheerios box. It will be more interesting.
  • Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life
  • Cobb: A Biography
  • Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero
  • Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig
  • The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • Ty Cobb
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • Stan Musial: An American Life
  • The Summer Game
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • October 1964
  • Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy
  • Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame
Stengel: His Life and Times Baseball in '41: A Celebration of the "Best Baseball Season Ever" The Quality of Courage: Heroes in and out of Baseball Jocko In God's Countries