The Unremembered

The Unremembered (Vault of Heaven #1)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  693 ratings  ·  139 reviews
In The Unremembered, from Peter Orullian, rumors of threatened strife from ancient enemies reach the eastlands of Aeshau Vaalthe. They auger an onslaught of raids and destruction more severe than any since the legendary Convocation of Seats, a gathering unknown in the land for generations without number.

For an author's son, a true threat would mean taking up a legendary we...more
Mass Market Paperback, 922 pages
Published January 31st 2012 by Tor Fantasy (first published March 31st 2011)

Eric Allen
The Unremembered
Book 1 of The Vault of Heaven
By Peter Orullian

A Review by Eric Allen

I was at a book signing to have Brandon Sanderson sign some of my books of his and there was a second author there signing named Peter Orullian. Everyone was lining up for Brandon, and like two people had Peter sign anything. He was sitting there for an hour or so just messing around with his phone looking rather bored and really hopeful anytime anyone stepped near him. He looked so let down when people looked li...more
Seak (Bryce L.)
From Only the Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy

One of the most stunning covers I've seen in a long time, The Unremembered is one of the biggest releases of 2011. The question remains, does the book live up to its cover?

In many ways, The Unremembered is a very traditional tale. A couple almost-kids are swept up in an adventure they never imagined they would be in, chased by monsters who were thought to be myth, helped by people who know what they're doing (and have awesome powers). Luckily, even after the many...more
Ranting Dragon

In general, there seem to be two types of modern epic fantasy series: One the one hand, there are writers such as Joe Abercrombie and George R. R. Martin, who try to reinvent the genre by discarding the known epic tropes and strive to create a more “realistic” type of fantasy (by completely erasing the distinction between right and wrong); on the other hand, there are authors who try to improve the genre, like Brandon Sanderson. Peter Orullian is without a...more
Jenny
I read this book a while ago, and every time I see it come up on any book lists or websites I am reminded of how much I dislike it. I don't usually write reviews, because what I like or didn't like is usually covered by others, but here on Goodreads my opinions have not been previously expressed.

First of all, I am LDS, as is the author of this book. That usually has no bearing on whether I will like something, or not. In this case, all it did was clue me in to this author's.... laziness. Multip...more
Bcvs
The good:
Nice character development and excellent world building. There is an interesting take on the magic system. Some bits are very gritty and have real depth of character, setting and dialog.
The bad:
ALL female characters are obsessed with motherhood. ALL male characters have daddy issues. Truths are being revealed to the reader along with the characters very slowly and never fully. That can be OK once or twice, but in this case, this happens every time, up till the end.
The ugly:
A very slow b...more
Spencer Pranger
There are books in the fantasy genre that are so great they make you want to stand up at the end and offer the author a round of applause. I for one can say I had to do such a thing at 2 am, to the surprise of my wife. This book has everything a reader can want in a book from extreme high emotion filled chapters to amazing action sequences. Decisions for the characters actions hold real consequences, rarely have I seen it that well done.
Please don't let the back blurb put you off. It does the b...more
Felicia
Disclosure, I have actually tangently worked with this author at MS with The Guild, and I received an ARC copy, but this review is 100% objective.

I have all of Robert Jordan's books in hardback, I was obsessed with the Wheel of Time at like 13 or 14. Later on when the series disappointed me a bit, I still look back on those years of total immersion in his world with fondness, that deep and epic fantasy storytelling that only fantasy fans can really buy into. This book is very much a citizen of t...more
Artemas
Aug 16, 2013 Artemas marked it as abandoned
I think 226 pages is a fair effort on my part for this one...or that's when the magical effect from the beautiful cover art wore off for me. Either way, I think giving up on this one is the only option left. Had this book been shorter I would continue on, but 940 pages is too much demand on a book that has yet to grab my attention. Uninteresting characters combined with weird names lacking any explanation left me feeling bored, confused, and a little pissed off. Moving on...
Mitchell
This was a book I read for the Endeavour awards. There was some interesting and good world-building attempted here. But this book just plain suffered from too much too soon. I never cared about any of the characters, not when they were together, not when they were separated, not when they re-found each other. There was too much stupid-name syndrome and this started from the very first page. And yet there were glimpses of the author's storytelling capabilities - just a couple pages - but these wo...more
edifanob
After a long time it happened again that I did not finish a book.

I know there is some hype around THE UNREMEMBERED and Tor is pushing it a lot.

I stopped reading after 98 pages.

I remember when I read the blurb for the first time. I decided that I did not want to read this book. So I did not make it to my list. Then I received an ARC from Tor and I still did not want to read it. Finally my wife convinced me to give THE UNREMEMBERED a try and I did. I should have trusted my first impression ...

It s...more
Neil
I wavered between three and four stars for this one. It has some strikes against it. The first, and most glaring, is that the initial set-up is so much like The Wheel of Time that one almost wonders if Orullian is intentionally borrowing Jordan's structure: a young hero, Tahn, with vague but lofty powers is at the center. Two strangers (one male, one female, of course) come to his small town and whisk him away just as all kind of baddies descend. Two other young men from town also go along for t...more
Robert
In reality, I would give the book 3.5 stars. Here's an excerpt from my review:

"Peter Orullian is the author of The Unremembered, a traditional epic fantasy novel that immediately brought to mind Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time and Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings because of the familiar quest storyline and the book’s classic battle between good and evil. Because of philosophical musings, thought-provoking moral complexity, and the overall serious tone of the book, I was also reminded of The Swo...more
Russ
I received an advance readers copy through goodreads, so I'm going to go into a little more depth with this review than normal. I went into this book with very high expectations. Tor has been doing a lot of marketing for it, including the prequel readings on iTunes. I only listened to "Sacrifice of the First Sheason," but I thought it was terrific. My overall impression of this novel, though, was that it was only okay.

Here is the thing I liked: the potential. There's a really great story in here...more
Zayne
It resembled The Wheel of Time books a lot towards the beginning with the two strangers taking the main character and his friend away on an adventure. The magic was kind of unclear to me. It didn't really explain it. I wish I knew more about it, but I guess we'll have to see in the next book. Also, the fight towards the end was very unclear with the whole magic thing going on. Other than that, it was great book with interesting character and a good amount of description.
Ryan Billings
The overall arc of the story, about a God who is banished from a council of Gods for becoming evil, is a great hook and why I bought this book. The details of the story, how the scenes play out, is so heavily contrived that I'm surprised I finished it. Apparently it's a copy of "Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan.
Paul Weimer
"I draw with the strength of my arms, but release as the Will allows"

Choice and consequences lie heavy freight on The Unremembered, the debut novel by fantasy author Peter Orullian.

Sometimes, epic fantasy is all that will do for a reader of speculative fiction, and so I turned to reading this eagerly, hoping to quench that recurring thirst and need. for epic fantasy that builds a secondary world peopled with characters, lands, creatures and magic that provide escapism and escape in equal portion...more
Brandon Zarzyczny
I really enjoyed this debut book, it has all the makings of another amazing epic fantasy series. The world is a little goofy, with a group of god like beings creating the universe, but one of them goes rogue creating only crazy evil things, which then makes the rest of the gods strip him of his power and exile him to live with his creations. It sets up some interesting possibilities, but I had some trouble believing it. The magic system itself is much better, it's believable but not too scientif...more
Silus28
I picked up this book based on the quote from Terry Brooks on the cover and I was not disappointed. I'm a big fan of Brooks' work and must say I'm now a fan of Peter Orullian as well. I love epic fantasy and The Unremembered is one of the best I've read in years.

I found the basic premise of the story quite intriguing. The Gods strive to create balance in the worlds they construct, however one of thier own has "fashioned a world with hellish creatures too powerful to allow balance". So the Gods...more
Michael Francis
I had such high hopes for this book. I'm really tired of waiting on fantasy writers to complete their multi-volume epics, but this seemed to be a complete story contained in a single book. NOT! Halfway or two thirds of the way through the book, I realized that the author couldn't possibly complete this in the remaining pages. Even so, the narrative dragged on and on and on and...By the time I had an eighth of an inch of pages left, I was just ready to end it.

On the positive side, this seems to b...more
Travis Robinson
The two words that kept popping into my head as I was thinking about how to describe this book were "meticulous" and "heart-felt". This was clearly a labor of love for the author, with lots of thought to plot movement and word choice. I usually read a book in 2 or 3 days, but I took my time with this one, reading a chapter or two every day, and at nearly 700 pages it took me a little over a month to finish. What surprised me was that I usually lose myself in a story, but this one started feeling...more
Chris Galford
Though it starts a little slow, this is one for fantasy fans to note. Orullian's entry into the genre is one possessed of a unique, vibrant world as rich in history as it is in characters. The cast is diverse, and while I've heard some cast "the journey" of the characters with a hope for defeating an ancient curse as reminiscent of Tolkien and the Fellowship of the Ring, to that I say...read beyond the opening chapters you twits.

There is a darkness here, and a sadness, lurking just behind the s...more
Sean
This book is pretty long, but not as long as some of the other epic fantasies like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, or something by Goodkind, or Eddings. It took some time to read it, partially because I had been working long hours, but it was well worth it. The cover is incredible, leaves you asking what is he looking for.
I really enjoyed this book, it took me on a journey with some unlikely heros that I enjoyed getting to know. The story was told with flavorful, descriptive words that put you r...more
Aaron Anderson
I'm only 70 pages in. I'm mostly enjoying it, so far, but the story almost totally a cliche on how it starts. It seems such a direct copy of the epic story told by WoT, Shannara, LoTR, and so many others.

We have a wizard-type, who is mysterious, and has come to The VillageTM to gather the Group of AdventurersTM. They must leave because immediately to save their village and family because The HeroTM is being sought by the Evil Enemies.

It's so utterly standard thus far. Buuuut, the writing is good...more
Becky
Dec 16, 2011 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Peter Orullian :)
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. In the beginning I felt like some parts were a little stilted and not quite as coherent as they could be. I felt like I was clobbered over the head with the buddy-buddiness of Tahn and Sutter for the first third. But half way through, the story took me away from all that. I wasn't expecting the music theme to come up, and I was impressed by the depth of the characters. Each one had choices and personality unique to them.

I also liked Orullian's way of telling...more
Jeff Wheeler
I'm not done with it yet but it has not grabbed me nor kept my interest. It feels like a Terry Brooks rip-off, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's just not well-written and engaging. Example: there is a lot of history told during the interludes and the characters seem excited about the history for some reason, but I don't get what is exciting or interesting about the backstory. I'm about a third of the way through it and it has *not* been luring me with a siren song to finish it.

*Update:...more
Mark
Thank god.

At last a new Epic Fantasy has been published - I really really miss new Epic Fantasy's, the trend these days seems to be 'gritty' and 'dark'.

That's not to say that I don't like those books - or that Orullian's debut doesn't have some dark moments - but I cut my teeth on the likes of Jordan and Brooks, and not many are doing that anymore.

THE UNREMEMBERED is BIG, it has depth and power, and (as in the vein of Janny Wurts) Orullian's prose is the sort that where you would do well to pay...more
Al
I was lucky enough to score an "Advanced Reader's" copy of this book through a friend. It was a great read. Fans of the fantasy genre will recognize the influences of some of the greats; Tolkien, Jordan, Brooks. Fans will also enjoy where the author jumps off from these influences to create a fully realized world of his own with a complex, interesting and unique mythology. This is a densly (but well) written, thought provoking book.

The author definitely exceeds in the areas of characterization...more
Rich
I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of authors like Terry Goodkind, or Terry Brooks. Excellent character development, very good plot and most of all, a very interesting system of magic. I am looking forward to the next book!

I won this book in a drawing on Goodreads...the first time in a long time that I had one anything. SO, I was already reading it before it hit the shelves, but I would definitely spend the money on this! It is so worth it!
Penguin
I picked this up at complete random because of the very pretty cover, looking for a generic hero's journey fantasy story, and that was pretty much what I got. For some reason I was under the impression that it was a standalone, but alas it's the first in a series.

Anyway there isn't much here that hasn't been done before. If you can get past the slow beginning and grow to like the characters it works out okay. There are some surprisingly good and memorable moments.

It still suffers from some stupi...more
Stephanie
Apr 25, 2011 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: This was a Goodreads give-a-way
The Unremembered is just about the best Epic Fantasy book I have read thus far. I am really looking forward to the next book in this series.

The journey that Peter Orullian takes you on in this book is magical. As you're reading it you can't wait to read what happens next. A must read!
  • Blackdog
  • Farlander
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Tome of the Undergates (Aeons' Gate, #1)
  • Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak, #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (The Wild Hunt, #1)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • Shadow's Son (Shadow Saga, #1)
  • The Hammer
  • Blood's Pride
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • Spellbound (Spellwright, #2)
Peter Orullian has worked in marketing at Xbox for nearly a decade, most recently leading the Music and Entertainment marketing strategy for Xbox LIVE, and has toured as a featured vocalist internationally at major music festivals. He has published several short stories. The Unremembered is his first novel. He lives in Seattle. "
More about Peter Orullian...
Sacrifice of the First Sheason At the Manger: The Stories of Those Who Were There The Great Defense of Layosah The Battle of the Round Prologue – The Whiting