When Andy's Father Went to Prison

When Andy's Father Went to Prison

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  2 reviews
When Andy's father is sent to prison for robbery and the family moves to be near him, Andy is afraid of what the kids at his new school will think.
Published June 1st 1990 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about When Andy's Father Went to Prison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Andy's Father Went to Prison

Tyra Pickens
This book allows us to understand what a child goes through and how they suffer when the father (or other parent) has to leave the family and is confined in a jail or prison cell. Sometimes we focus on the parent(s) and neglect what the child may be going through or the ridicule that they might endure from peers.

This story gives us a glimpse of how the child is affected when parents make bad choices and have to be removed from the home. It also let's kids know that sometimes good people can do b...more
T. Denise
This is the story of Andy, a young child who learns via one of his peers that his father has been jailed for robbery. Andy ends up losing a friend in the process and initially struggling with the fact that his father is no longer at home.

The family ends up moving to be closer to the prison, where Andy's father is eventually sentenced. I thought Hickman did a nice job of targeting family issues that are often hushed in classroom settings.

As the story unfolds, we learn that Andy meets a friend who...more
Desiree Ramirez
Desiree Ramirez marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief A Day of Rest Eeps Creeps, It's My Room! Last Week My Brother Anthony Died