Start by marking “From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children” as Want to Read:
From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children

From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A leading educator's warm, practical, step-by-step program for helping parents provide accurate information and communicate their own values to their children. Synopsis Approved by Parents' Choice 1999, praised in Time, Newsweek, and Library Journal Whether she is discussing how to help kids deal with the onslaught of sexual messages they see in...
Paperback, Large Print 16pt Edition, 344 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about From Diapers to Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Diapers to Dating

Michelle
Feb 26, 2012 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
Excellent, comprehensive, educated, and well-researched resource for dealing with teaching your child about sex and sexuality. I found it super helpful, and it'll be my go-to reference for this topic. The topic can be so touchy and have so many moments of, "Omg, what am I supposed to do?!" and this book handles it wonderfully, very accessibly, reasonably, and reassuringly. I feel much more confident with the guidance from this book.

The only criticism that I have is that it ends at age 12 rather
Tanya
My copy was a 2004 edition, and the references to various pop culture events and icons feel dated. And it covers rue Internet, but not more modern technology such as snapchat and Instagram. I read the chapters from ages 5-8 and up, so cannot provide review on the earlier chapters. This book did bring up situations I had not considered for the younger age set, but might have made me overly cautious had I read it when my kids were younger. The author shares her values and discusses her experience ...more
Anna
An interesting overview of how to consistently, accurately introduce sexuality to your kids, while gaining their trust, and encouraging them to talk to you about sexuality. I was nervous at first when I saw that she's a minister, thought the book might be too religious, but as a Unitarian minister AND a mother of 2 kids, she did a great job of being impartial and open to all perspectives and values.

I really liked the questionnaires that she offers in each chapter, it's a great tool for defining
Lisa
This is a fantastic book on the topic of building open healthy lines of communication between you and your child regarding sexuality. Not sex, but, sexuality, and there is definitely a difference. The book discusses everything from "naming" your child's parts properly to healthy definitions of love. I cant say enough how wonderful this book is! Every parent should read it and think about how they want to present sexuality to their children. I love how the book is set up with questions regarding ...more
Genevieve Johansen, LCSW
Oct 02, 2014 Genevieve Johansen, LCSW rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of children of any age who want to be prepared to talk to their kids about sex.
Shelves: parenting-books
This is an excellent and honest discussion of how to talk about sex with your kids. Haffner confronts the issue head on while aknowledging the difficulties that we face as parents with our own comfort discussing sex and sexuallity with our children. She makes recommendations throughout the book but skillfully leaves much room for differing values and opinions about sexuality. Haffner encourages honesty from the beginning and discourages story telling and fabricating to explain questions related ...more
Scott
This is the first parenting book I've read since my kids were toddlers. I enjoyed the author's direct approach to discussing sexuality with children. Important to note is that sexuality is very different from sex. We are bombarded by messages about sexuality in our society, and in my opinion, this book can help parents guide their children. As the father of an 8 and 6 year old, I wish I had read it about four years ago.

What stood out to me was the need for parents to identify and discuss their
HeavyReader
Oct 08, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
This book gives some good advice to parent's about making sex education a normal and consistant part of family life. I don't agree with everything the author says (and she says some things as if they are the TRUTH), but I did agree with a lot. I like the way the book is written; it is very accessible and I would recommend it to people with kids or who think they might have kids one day.

Give it to your breeder friend at the next baby shower you get roped into going to.
Hope Tafuri
Really great book for parents. If you are looking for help in getting the right message across to your kids then definitely read! I highly recommend for all parents!!
Mary Jane
I recommend this book so often that I thought I should put it on my list.
S.M. Reine
Some helpful advice, but the author is one of those crazy helicopter parent types. For example, when her daughter lost the science fair, she flipped out at the school and insisted that they no longer judge projects in that fashion to protect the students' self-esteem. Really? REALLY? Take her advice with a (hefty) grain of salt.
Brian
Read this mostly because my daughter is rapidly heading toward puberty (she's 9). A very good book that did help me get some ideas for how to talk to her about the dreaded life lessons. A few spots need to be updated to reflect the internet era though (it still has references to Compuserve and Prodigy!).
M
Amazing book. Highly recommend as a great reference to have on hand to help navigate the awkward world of teaching healthy sexuality as a parent. Originally checked this out of the library but found myself ordering a copy to have in my personal library while halfway through reading it.
Laine
Great book so far!!! Not just about sexuality. It is also about boundaries, values, and self esteem. Going to be interesting though...my child might be the only one at school who uses the word vulva.
Princess
I read this book when my daughter was a baby and I learned so much! I'm actually going to check it out from the library and read it again to refresh my memory. I really should just break down and buy it!
Meribeth
Excellent book to talk to your young children about sexuality with common sense approach. Allows family values to be incorporated into the approach without preaching. Liked the book so much I bought it.
Mcrownover
Jul 15, 2008 Mcrownover is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
have only skimmed it so far, but has a lot of good ideas on how to incorporate sexuality into conversations/or answer kids questions according to their age. I really like the author's philosophy.
Suzanne
Each chapter is divided into different age groups. The information is so helpful and clear—I can see myself using this book for reference through the teen years. Glad I started reading it early!
Nothing really new to add to the discussion, but it's nice to have it all in one place, rather than stretched out among various other developmental and parenting books.
Brea

Got 70 pages in and decided I wasn't getting enough out of it at the moment to keep going. Maybe I will revisit it when my kids are a little older?
Elizabeth
Very thought provoking. Be a positive influence on your child's sexuality, especially by being an "askable" resource.
Sally
Jun 19, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
library has. written by a woman minister. has all the elements to be either very good or way off....
Chris
Helpful. I only read the current age range, though.
Veras Rodrigues
Kelley Brandeberry
Kelley Brandeberry marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tangerine
Tangerine is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Trinia
Trinia marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • The Life Cycle Completed: Extended Version with New Chapters on the Ninth Stage of Development
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Books by Oliver Sacks: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat / An Anthropologist on Mars/Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • Child Development (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
  • 10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children
  • Awakenings / A Leg to Stand On / The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat / Seeing Voices
  • The Optimistic Child
  • Your Seven-Year-Old: Life in a Minor Key
  • Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • College Girls: Bluestockings, Sex Kittens, and Co-eds, Then and Now
Beyond the Big Talk: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Teens from Middle School to High School and Beyond From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children - From Infancy to Middle School What Every 21st Century Parent Needs to Know: Facing Today's Challenges With Wisdom and Heart A Time to Build A Time To Heal: Protecting Children & Ministering to Sex Offenders