Start by marking “From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children” as Want to Read:
From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children

From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children

A leading educator's warm, practical, step-by-step program for helping parents provide accurate information and communicate their own values to their children. Synopsis Approved by Parents' Choice 1999, praised in Time, Newsweek, and Library Journal Whether she is discussing how to help kids deal with the onslaught of sexual messages they see in...
Paperback, Large Print 16pt Edition, 344 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about From Diapers to Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Diapers to Dating

Michelle
Feb 26, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
Excellent, comprehensive, educated, and well-researched resource for dealing with teaching your child about sex and sexuality. I found it super helpful, and it'll be my go-to reference for this topic. The topic can be so touchy and have so many moments of, "Omg, what am I supposed to do?!" and this book handles it wonderfully, very accessibly, reasonably, and reassuringly. I feel much more confident with the guidance from this book.

The only criticism that I have is that it ends at age 12 rather
Anna
Nov 28, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting overview of how to consistently, accurately introduce sexuality to your kids, while gaining their trust, and encouraging them to talk to you about sexuality. I was nervous at first when I saw that she's a minister, thought the book might be too religious, but as a Unitarian minister AND a mother of 2 kids, she did a great job of being impartial and open to all perspectives and values.

I really liked the questionnaires that she offers in each chapter, it's a great tool for defining
Tanya
Dec 19, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2013-books
My copy was a 2004 edition, and the references to various pop culture events and icons feel dated. And it covers rue Internet, but not more modern technology such as snapchat and Instagram. I read the chapters from ages 5-8 and up, so cannot provide review on the earlier chapters. This book did bring up situations I had not considered for the younger age set, but might have made me overly cautious had I read it when my kids were younger. The author shares her values and discusses her experience ...more
Genevieve Johansen, LCSW
Oct 02, 2014 Genevieve Johansen, LCSW rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of children of any age who want to be prepared to talk to their kids about sex.
Shelves: parenting-books
This is an excellent and honest discussion of how to talk about sex with your kids. Haffner confronts the issue head on while aknowledging the difficulties that we face as parents with our own comfort discussing sex and sexuallity with our children. She makes recommendations throughout the book but skillfully leaves much room for differing values and opinions about sexuality. Haffner encourages honesty from the beginning and discourages story telling and fabricating to explain questions related ...more
Lisa
Feb 26, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book on the topic of building open healthy lines of communication between you and your child regarding sexuality. Not sex, but, sexuality, and there is definitely a difference. The book discusses everything from "naming" your child's parts properly to healthy definitions of love. I cant say enough how wonderful this book is! Every parent should read it and think about how they want to present sexuality to their children. I love how the book is set up with questions regarding ...more
Zach
Apr 20, 2016 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the library because I want to be more than the father who brandishes a shotgun every time a pubescent boy comes within a mile radius of my daughter. There is definitely some useful information in this book for that purpose. However, I found it difficult to take Haffner's advice at face value when she rarely cites specific, empirical evidence. She uses the phrase "Study after study" a lot, but usually doesn't specify what the studies were.

I also found it troubling that, whil
Scott
Jan 27, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
This is the first parenting book I've read since my kids were toddlers. I enjoyed the author's direct approach to discussing sexuality with children. Important to note is that sexuality is very different from sex. We are bombarded by messages about sexuality in our society, and in my opinion, this book can help parents guide their children. As the father of an 8 and 6 year old, I wish I had read it about four years ago.

What stood out to me was the need for parents to identify and discuss their
HeavyReader
Oct 08, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents
This book gives some good advice to parent's about making sex education a normal and consistant part of family life. I don't agree with everything the author says (and she says some things as if they are the TRUTH), but I did agree with a lot. I like the way the book is written; it is very accessible and I would recommend it to people with kids or who think they might have kids one day.

Give it to your breeder friend at the next baby shower you get roped into going to.
S.M. Reine
Some helpful advice, but the author is one of those crazy helicopter parent types. For example, when her daughter lost the science fair, she flipped out at the school and insisted that they no longer judge projects in that fashion to protect the students' self-esteem. Really? REALLY? Take her advice with a (hefty) grain of salt.
Brian
Mar 25, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Read this mostly because my daughter is rapidly heading toward puberty (she's 9). A very good book that did help me get some ideas for how to talk to her about the dreaded life lessons. A few spots need to be updated to reflect the internet era though (it still has references to Compuserve and Prodigy!).
Bonnie Tesch
Jan 19, 2016 Bonnie Tesch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
After teaching sex ed to middle and high schoolers, I really agree with the author's thesis that this is a process that needs to happen in the home, and needs to start young. I would recommend the book (and would love an update, given that both the internet and the available resources have changed in the last seventeen years).
Princess
Feb 20, 2008 Princess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when my daughter was a baby and I learned so much! I'm actually going to check it out from the library and read it again to refresh my memory. I really should just break down and buy it!
Carolyn Laursen
Jul 26, 2016 Carolyn Laursen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely agree with her ideas. Great info for expanding on conversations I've already been having with my daughter. I enjoyed the summaries at the ends of the chapters, but would have enjoyed seeing more citations.
Laine
Great book so far!!! Not just about sexuality. It is also about boundaries, values, and self esteem. Going to be interesting though...my child might be the only one at school who uses the word vulva.
M
Jan 31, 2013 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Highly recommend as a great reference to have on hand to help navigate the awkward world of teaching healthy sexuality as a parent. Originally checked this out of the library but found myself ordering a copy to have in my personal library while halfway through reading it.
Meribeth
Jan 14, 2010 Meribeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to talk to your young children about sexuality with common sense approach. Allows family values to be incorporated into the approach without preaching. Liked the book so much I bought it.
Elizabeth
This felt like a good start, but I want more! My major criticism of the book was that despite the author's stated sex-positive and feminist leanings, she has a lot more to say about teenage girls' attire and provocativeness than boys' bodies and hypermasculinity.
Suzanne
May 31, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Each chapter is divided into different age groups. The information is so helpful and clear—I can see myself using this book for reference through the teen years. Glad I started reading it early!
Jul 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Nothing really new to add to the discussion, but it's nice to have it all in one place, rather than stretched out among various other developmental and parenting books.
Hope Tafuri
Mar 18, 2014 Hope Tafuri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great book for parents. If you are looking for help in getting the right message across to your kids then definitely read! I highly recommend for all parents!!
Mcrownover
Jul 15, 2008 Mcrownover is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
have only skimmed it so far, but has a lot of good ideas on how to incorporate sexuality into conversations/or answer kids questions according to their age. I really like the author's philosophy.
Adam
Aug 19, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful. Informative. Well-researched. Grounded. Encouraging. Provides ample room for discussion and reflection as my partner and I plan for our newborn's development.
Sally
Jun 19, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
library has. written by a woman minister. has all the elements to be either very good or way off....
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Very thought provoking. Be a positive influence on your child's sexuality, especially by being an "askable" resource.
Brea
Jun 12, 2012 Brea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Got 70 pages in and decided I wasn't getting enough out of it at the moment to keep going. Maybe I will revisit it when my kids are a little older?
Veras Rodrigues
Carisatian
Carisatian rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • The Life Cycle Completed
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families (The Family Library)
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution
  • Networks: A Very Short Introduction
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • Women's Anatomy Of Arousal: Secret Maps To Buried Pleasure
  • Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women
  • Books by Oliver Sacks: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat / An Anthropologist on Mars/Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Outlander 8-Book Bundle
  • Ten Powerful Things to Say to Your Kids: Creating the Relationship You Want with the Most Important People in Your Life
  • 10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • Your Seven-Year-Old: Life in a Minor Key
  • Child Development (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)