Start by marking “The Call” as Want to Read:
The Call

The Call

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Tania is the new girl at school and she caught the attention of Simon. Unfortunately, every other guy is already calling dibs on her.

Simon becomes more attracted to Tania, but is unable to strike up a conversation with her.

Determined to catch her eye, even though he knows she is out of his league, he asks his closest friend, Mark, for her number.<>Will he be able to

Nook, Kobo
Published April 5th 2011 by Merrill Gemus

The Ghost and the Graveyard by Genevieve JackUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnDrowning Mermaids by Nadia ScrievaBound by Kira SaitoThe Mating by Nicky Charles
LendMe Paranormal Nook Books
16th out of 41 books — 7 voters
Besos entre líneas by May R. AyamonteBirth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also R... by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-And...Dianetics by L. Ron HubbardA Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality by Joseph NicolosiComing Out Straight by Richard   Cohen
Worst Rated Books on Goodreads
250th out of 274 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jan 18, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it
I really do enjoy reading independent authors, but I wanted more with this short story. There were also some grammatical errors, but overall it was enjoyable.
Barbara Rinaldi
Aug 21, 2012 Barbara Rinaldi rated it did not like it

There no structure to this. I know it's a short story but still...it was severely lacking
Cheryl
Apr 30, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: merrill-gemus
not long enough ... but like it says ... short story
Ty'Keria  Haskins
Lovely

This is such a lovely book because it shows hidden love in a boy to a new girl at his school. This is rated five star because it is like a great book to read if it's just a rainy or snowy day. I believe others should read this book because it relaxes people in the flow of the story
Jen
Favourite Character: Simon

Simon is in ninth grade and is known as an outsider. He doesn't take part in many school activities, he plays guitar and has a crush on the new girl named Tania, who is in eighth grade.

Tania, although the new girl, becomes quickly popular and because of her beauty has boys calling 'dibs' on her.

Even for a short story I found this ended quite abruptly, although I did enjoy the story as a whole, I'm not sure if I would continue reading the story if it were continued in a
Karen Davis
Sep 23, 2012 Karen Davis rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy Merrill Gemus' writing. Sadly to me, this book ran short...literally short! The story had so much potential, but for some reason it was only 25 pages long, 27 if you count all the credits. I was truly saddened by it being so short....It would be nice if Merrill Gemus were to continue the story into a full flown book. Gemus could us 'The Call' as a prequel....NOW that would be awesome!! I gave it a 2 star ONLY because of the potential in the story....otherwise it would've gotten a ...more
Kaitlin (Reading is My Treasure)
Jun 10, 2013 Kaitlin (Reading is My Treasure) rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I'm giving reading short stories a try. I know there are good ones out there, so I want to find them.

This story, however, didn't make any impact on me. It was extremely short, and I didn't see much of any point in the entire thing. It was free and it was on my kindle, so I'm glad I can check off another read off my large kindle list.
Desert Rose
Dec 10, 2011 Desert Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-read
This was a short free read.

Simon is in 9th grade and has is eyes on Tania the new girl in 8th grade.
When he calls ther "The Devil" he has her attention.
He then builds some courage to give her a call.

I didn't feel anything for this story, can't even identify what it should be. But I guess it's young adult short.
Angel **Book Junkie**
I am still trying to figure out what it was that I read. I thought when I first saw The call that there was more to this call. But by the time that we got to the call the story was over. i am not rating this on errors I am rating it solely on the fact that there was no story to the story.
Kabrika Thomas
I really enjoyed this book as it displayed content fairly appropriate do young readers. My only issue is that it was in fact too short. I was left wondering what happens after Simon and Tania's numerous conversations and the fact that they have now become good friends.
Fernanda
Jan 12, 2013 Fernanda rated it did not like it
I know it's supposed to be a short story, but it was extremely short and went nowhere. I thought it might have a decent ending, but it didn't. Kind of disappointed with this one.
Jacquelyn Smith
Feb 08, 2013 Jacquelyn Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: own, nice-shorts, nook
This is a clean and appropriate story for young readers.
The story is base on young love that don't get pass first base.
Nice story I hope the author continues to write more books.
Marcia Carrington
This is a charming, entertaining short story which is never cutesy, and flows well. It would be good to see how the story continues if there is ever a follow up or sequel.
Caro
Aug 07, 2013 Caro rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This was an ok book. A freebie, that was pretty much...there. It was a little sweet in a way but not really gripping. I can't really think of much to say about this one. Good luck
Nicole
Feb 17, 2012 Nicole rated it did not like it
I realize this is supposed to be a short story, and short it IS, but it's not even a story. Nothing happens. It just ends and goes absolutely NOWHERE! WTH?!
Luna Melissa
Mar 05, 2012 Luna Melissa rated it it was amazing
The Call Was A Cute Short Story Of The Tania The New Girl And How Every Guy Call Dibs On HEr To DAte HEr. Simon Calls Her The Devil Witch I Found Hilarious ;)
Jennifer  Davis
Jan 31, 2012 Jennifer Davis rated it it was amazing
Once the story started it ended. It gets u interested and then ends. Have no idea if there will ne another book or not. Took me all of 15 minutes to read.
Jared
Dec 10, 2011 Jared rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, short-story, ebook
Flat characters, very sloppy writing. Viewpoint switched multiple times. Not sure the point though the story was good.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
This was a ligament shirt story and it just ended could've been way better but it was free can't complain.
Diamond (kindle lover)
Aw it was a cute story,I got this off of iTunes for free so i decided to read it.
Leanna Ellenburg
Jan 20, 2013 Leanna Ellenburg rated it it was ok
It was really short, could have been developed more into an actual good read
Rachel Barr
Dec 07, 2012 Rachel Barr rated it it was amazing
A cute short story.. Hope to see more books by Merrill Gemus
Jenn Swanson
Nov 10, 2013 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it
Cute short story more geared for the younger crowd.
Rebeca
Jan 30, 2013 Rebeca rated it really liked it
Super cute. Enjoyed it. Wish it would have been longer.
April
Jan 31, 2012 April rated it it was ok
they just end and leave you hanging is there another????
Paula
Jun 24, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
I liked the story but the ending was not enough
Shiela
Dec 31, 2012 Shiela rated it liked it
The was way to short, cute throu
Oct 17, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Short, wished there was more.
Stephanie
May 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Short, but still good.
Angela
Oct 14, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Wish it was longer
  • Nikki and the Vampire
  • Single-Handed (Single Girls, #1)
  • A Friend and a Lover
  • Seeing Things
  • The Quickie Sexy and Short Erotica Story
  • Six Degrees Of Passion
  • Doctor Knows Best
  • Beneath the Boss (Beneath the Boss, #1)
  • Catharsis
  • Sleeping Lady (Fantasy Playland, #1)
  • Thrilling Her (Sensual Erotica, #12)
  • Claimed by the Alpha
  • Double Penetration in the Desert
Merrill Gemus is an independent author and self-publisher who creates short stories, novels and mini-series on her spare time.

She started blogging in January 2009 and developed an interest in writing in August 2009.

She has completed her first short story, The Call, which is loosely based on her own high school romance.

Recently, she concluded book one and two of her vampire miniseries, called “Bitt
More about Merrill Gemus...