Start by marking “Coming of Age in America: A Multicultural Anthology” as Want to Read:
Coming of Age in America: A Multicultural Anthology

Coming of Age in America: A Multicultural Anthology

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  3 reviews
By turns touching and hilarious, Coming of Age in America gathers together writers from fifteen different ethnic groups who, through their fiction, explore the terrain we all traverse as we come of age, no matter our race, ethnicity, gender, or class.

With over twenty short stories and fiction excerpts by noted authors such as Julia Alvarez and Frank Chin, Dorothy Allison a
Published September 1st 2007 by The New Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Coming of Age in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming of Age in America

This is a great resource for the classroom. The anthology incorporates many diverse voices and perspectives, including excerpts from well-loved books (such as How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez).
I chose this anthology as a theme for my fall developmental writing course, figuring that growing up is a theme everyone can relate to in some way. I've got some fun ideas of ways to relate these readings to writing exercises, but I found the collection disappointing in its scope. The most recent story is probably set in the 60s, which is not nearly as current as I thought it would be. They're lovely stories, sure, but at this point, most of the cultural events referred to in here--the Depressio ...more
While there were some stories that were much better than others (Eugenia Collier and Gish Jen had particularly powerful stories), this was a solid collection. My only criticism (which may be an issue of when this was published) is that while this was a culturally diverse collection of stories, the experiences are a bit dated and may be hard for younger audiences (including millennials) to relate to.
Jacinda marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Jenefer R
Jenefer R marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Shohela Rahman
Shohela Rahman marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Rachael is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Serzh marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Yasmine marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Andson added it
Mar 01, 2015
Sheda marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Bhut marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014