Start by marking “Biscuit Goes to School (My First I Can Read Book Series)” as Want to Read:
Biscuit Goes to School (My First I Can Read Book Series)

Biscuit Goes to School (World of Biscuit Beginning Reader)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,080 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Just like his young fans, Biscuit can't wait to go to school! Even though no dogs are allowed, he is determined to see and do everything that takes place at school. But what will happen when the teacher discovers a puppy in his classroom?

A sure-fire hit combining beginning readers' favorite subject, school, with the My First I Can Read Book's best-selling character.

In this
Published May 25th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Biscuit Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biscuit Goes to School

Erma Talamante
Full review coming soon. Check here for updates:
Sven Robertson
Dec 26, 2015 Sven Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: SPOILERS!

The emotional roller coaster that is Biscuit Goes to School will leave you craving more. Across twenty-four glorious pages, Biscuit goes from loved pet to a dog about to wreak havoc on an entire elementary school to the lap companion of a teacher excited to get a break from using his fingernail to write shapes on the board. The tale begins with our protagonist, Biscuit, at home with her owner, Awlie*. Awlie is on the stoop of her house waiting for the bus. When it shows up she
Kaley Robinson
This book was a fun book to read! The book is so cute and Biscuit gets to have so many adventures. In this book, Biscuit is going to his first day of school! This would definitely be a book students could relate to!

Purpose for the classroom:
Read aloud:This book could first be read to the class on the first day of school, but might be better suited for a reading group. Students could relate to this book early in the year if any of them were nervous about school, or because it's something every st
Haley Hardwick
Personal Reaction: I really enjoyed this book for a beginning to read story. I thought the layout was very easy for young readers to read with simple sentences and words that they could read on their own. I thought it had good sight words integrated into the story, and it was relatable for young students.

Purpose in the Classroom: This book would be a great book for beginning readers in Pre-k and kindergarten.
Biscuit Goes to School would be a good book for a read aloud to young students. It wou
JIA QIU
Nov 17, 2015 JIA QIU rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-emotional
This book describes a story about a pet dog biscuit who wants to go to school even though his owner tries to stop him. He follows the owner to school one day. Once at school Biscuit wants to join in the activities at school with the other boys and girls. He wants to play ball, hear a story, wants a snack and meet the teacher. The little girl is worried that the teacher will be angry that Biscuit came to school. It turns out the teacher and the students enjoy Biscuit being with them.
This book is
Haley
This story is about a little girl's dog, Biscuit, and his spontaneous trip to school. When the girl gets on the bus for school, Biscuit is instructed to stay home. However, it is not long before Biscuit is off on an adventure of his own. He passes several places that the reader would think a dog would normally play. Then he ends up at school. Since he does not belong there, he sneaks around a little bit before the girl finds him.

This story is very sweet. Who doesn't love a good story about an a
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Very cute little story about a puppy that wants to go to school and her young mistress. Especially liked that it included a male teacher instead of the typical female teacher.
Jrowe
Oct 05, 2014 Jrowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
Capucilli, A.(2002). Biscuit Goes to School. New York: Harper Collins

I Can Read Book
Starred Review

Noted as one of the better "Biscuit" books, this story is about a beloved character wishing to be with his owner and go to school. This book contains short sentences and repetition which allows the new reader to anticipate and recognize frequently used words throughtout the text. Reading this book over and over builds the confidence of the new reader. Illustrations are bold and lack complexity allow
Vanessa
'm reading Biscuit and the Little: This detail in this book was so realistic. You could actually see the fur in the dogs hair, and layer of hair in the little girls ponytail. The visual images in this book, in my opinion were much more exciting than the content. It was a great story, I was just in awe about the artwork. It is an easy read book, and very good for children who are starting to read. The sentence structure is appropriate for early readers
Meg McGregor
Aug 16, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Biscuit is one of the literary world's cutest puppies!

In this adventure he goes to his owner's school and simply loves learning about -- well, everything!

And of course, being Biscuit, he always has time to make new friends of the teacher and all of the students!

I have been reading this series of books to more than 15 different little ones in my care and I still enjoy reading them every time.
Quaesha
Setting: School
Awards: None

Biscuit goes to school is an excellent book for the beginning elementary-aged reader. The book tells the story of a dog who goes to school after his owner tells him that he is not allowed to go to school since he is a dog. When Biscuit arrives at the school he meets the teacher and the class. Everyone is class likes Biscuit, and Biscuit likes them back.
Bailey Scales
I have always loved the Biscuit books. They are simple books with cute illustrations and a cute dog. These are books are perfect for emergent readers. Easy words to sound out, repetitive phrases, little text. I would recommend my students to read this to learn sight words and practice their reading sills. I would also read aloud to demonstrate sentence structure and fluency.
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 Gina Diloreto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Capucilli, A. "Biscuit goes to school". (2002). New York: Harper Collins.

This is an easy read, appropriate for those beginning readers. It's about a dog named Biscuit, who follows his owner to school. Biscuit 'speaks' throughout the book by saying 'Woof'. Biscuit causes a little trouble, but in the end, even the teacher is happy he's there.
Mariah Olson
The Biscuit series of books are great easy-to-read books for younger readers like preschool and kindergarten aged children because they use the same stem of words on each page so children begin to recognize common words while also learning new ones. This book in particular is about Biscuit going to school so children can learn to spell the simple, more common words like 'goes' and 'school' and the right way to use the form of 'to' in a sentence. There are also other books in this series like Bis ...more
Rosa Cline
Apr 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fall
This is one of the better (in my opinion) Biscuit book. In true Biscuit form the illustrations and simple storylines make the books sweet. In this one the little girl gets on the bus to go to school and tells Biscuit he can't go to school. But he leaves home and finds his way to school...silly puppy! Woof! :)
Danaschaeffer
Nov 24, 2013 Danaschaeffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome beginning readers book! Its about Biscuit (the dog) going to school, and along the way he questions his surroundings, but at the end learns that school is a fun place. This book is an excellent book for children learning to read. Throughout the story each page has the same words; a lot of repetition is used. This is perfect for children who are learning to read because they quickly begin to recognize words, what letters they consist of and how to pronounce them correctly. This ...more
Vanessa Dougherty
Biscuit wants to find out what school is like and avoids being caught. This is a wonderful book and book series for kindergarteners. I would use these books for AR testing and early learning for comprehension.
Constance
Jan 18, 2015 Constance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for beginning readers, simple words, cute story, and the repetition really helps with memory (I.e sight words) . Just didn't know what to say when my six year old asked why they named the puppy Biscuit.
Mileigh Rabun
This book engages the reader as a dog tries to go to school and do what students do. It makes the reader laugh while they are learning beginning reader skills.
Angie Quantrell
Apr 21, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sep 11, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 1st grader is reading these books right now and loves them. Cute, easy stories. Her three-year-old sister loves to listen along, too!
Heather Jo
Mar 14, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meggie-list
Trisha Hope
Feb 05, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biscuit had a wonderful experience at school! He is such a loving puppy!
Ricci
May 21, 2015 Ricci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Storytime 5-21-15; Perfect for call-and-response, and use of a doggie puppet.
Benjamin Kahn
Jul 24, 2016 Benjamin Kahn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate Biscuit.

Woof!

I hate him a lot.

Woof woof!
Lisa
Sep 24, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-has, 2015
Biscuit goes to school, does he like it?
Tilley
Nov 24, 2014 Tilley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book. Super simple for my 5yo son who is learning how to read to get through.
Pauline
Apr 30, 2014 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny books...My daughter likes biscuit....
Cassandra
Love the Biscuit stories!
Alyssa Honeycutt
In this book the child goes on mini adventure with a dog as he tries to stay at school with his owner who is unnamed. The story doesn't focus on the girl at all it goes around the dog, but the little girl narrates it. This story is in no way educational its just a fun cute little story about a girl and her dog. The book has very detailed drawings that appeal to children and adults. It is not a very long story it has a few sentences on each page and mainly consists of the pictures itself to expla ...more
  • Clifford's Family
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day
  • Mouse Makes Words: A Phonics Reader
  • And I Mean It, Stanley
  • Thomas Goes Fishing (Thomas & Friends)
  • Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
  • Sleepy Dog
  • I Can Be a Pet Vet (Barbie)
  • Froggy Goes to School
  • "What is That?" Said the Cat (Hello Reader, Level 1)
  • Arthur Babysits (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Buzz Said the Bee
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • I Love School!
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
Alyssa Satin Capucilli was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1957. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and pursued her interest in dance, becoming a professional dancer and dance instructor. Though Capucilli had written stories, poems, and even puppet shows as a child, she didn't consider a career as a writer until after her own two children were born. To this day she sees herself as both a da ...more
More about Alyssa Satin Capucilli...

World of Biscuit Beginning Reader (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Biscuit