Start by marking “Bone Island Mambo (Alex Rutledge Series #3) ” as Want to Read:
Bone Island Mambo (Alex Rutledge Series #3)

Bone Island Mambo (Alex Rutledge Series #3) (An Alex Rutledge Mystery #3)

A pleasant Key West Sunday in January turns into a tropical nightmare.

It's early. The tourists are still asleep. Freelance and part-time crime photographer Alex Rutledge bicycles near-vacant streets, taking pictures for his own enjoyment. But he's challenged at a restoration district construction site, accused by a developer of snapping photos for an expose.

An hour later
Published May 22nd 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Island Mambo (Alex Rutledge Series #3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Island Mambo (Alex Rutledge Series #3)

Sandie
BONE ISLAND MAMBO
By Tom Corcoran
St. Martin's Press
May, 2001

Whew, Tom Corcoran can weave a complicated yarn! I had a blast reading BONE ISLAND MAMBO for the plot, the scenery, the characters, the fun. As woven together as the numerous clues become, Corcoran expertly leads the reader through this intricately textured story.

Alex Rutledge returns for his third adventure living in his own paradise on Key West. Out for an afternoon of photographing the changes taking place around the island, he is sud
Joseph M. O'Connor
Read the E-version with a red pen in hand.

Frankly, I enjoyed the story. It would be easy to dis-believe many of the actions of full-time Key West inhabitants, but their actions ring true to real life. Corcoran suffers the same problem that Carl Hiassen suffers; the raw material for characters is almost TOO good. You can't make this s$@t up!

Now... The e-version of this book is rife with errors! I'd estimate that one sentence in ten lacks a period at the end. This is NOT an e e cummings sort of at
BJ
"Bone Island Mambo" is the third in the Alex Rutledge Mystery series by Tom Corcoran. The main character is really the author's alter ego. Tom Corcoran's photographs have appeared on seven Jimmy Buffett album covers and he has co-written a couple of Jimmy Buffett songs. The setting is Key West. Alex Rutledge is a photographer who has lived in the Keys since the 70s. He picks up extra cash by photographing crime scenes for City and County Law Enforcement. In doing so, he manages to get mixed up i ...more
Julia DeBarrioz
Nov 30, 2014 Julia DeBarrioz rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, florida
I really love the way Corcoran writes about Key West, it's a magical and weird locale that holds a special place in my heart. That said, I just didn't enjoy this mystery the way I loved the first book. It was too convoluted and mechanical. I don't usually have a problem keeping track of characters in a book, but by the time we found out who dunnit I had to go back to remind myself who the heck he was.

Also the dialogue is kind of off in this book, people don't really talk in clever little sound
Bobbie
Jun 03, 2016 Bobbie rated it it was ok
An Alex Rutledge Mystery #3. Murder mystery that takes place in Key West. A professional photographer tries to solve a murder that the police don't seem to be serious about. Seemed good after first few chapters but I just couldn't finish it. Not really sure why. Maybe it was the frenetic staccato writing. Too many characters to keep track of. Too many things happening too fast. Usually I like books like this but this one just left me not caring who the murderer was or why. The editing is atrocio ...more
Sue
Feb 03, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, own, key-west
I can see why this one wasn't in the library - it wasn't as good of a book on its own as the other Rutledge mysteries have been. It felt too disconnected, with too many different plot pieces going along for me to have any chance of figuring anything out... and although action is good, I feel like he went overboard with the action sequences in this one - perhaps the editors wanted some more action and then he went too far. A good book to take to the beach.
Ashley FL
Oct 14, 2012 Ashley FL rated it it was ok
Loved reading about Key West and my favorite haunts. But the story was way too complicated, the characters too numerous and too similar. The writing was confusing. I think it just isn't my cup of tea. I have a similar reaction to Hiaasen. I love Florida, and love that it is wacky, but I don't enjoy these books.
Michelle
Sep 30, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
i picked this up from our employee book swap, primarily because i was in between books and not sure what genre i was into. the cover drew my attention because Janet Evanovitch recommended it and she is one of my favorite authors, however, the story didn't hold my attention quite like her's do. i was expecting something similar to "skinny dip" (not even close). it was ok, took me quite awhile to finish. too many characters and scattered plot.
Susan
Aug 31, 2007 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keywest
key west themed, lots of key west and buffet references. main character is a photographer that ends up working with the police. the reason i like this series is the character development and the story telling quality.... not so much for the crime solving ability.
D. Norman
Mar 12, 2016 D. Norman rated it did not like it
Some good parts but generally too many characters to keep track of and a too confusing plot to follow. I had to abandon it two thirds of the way in because I just got hopelessly lost. This is the third, and last, book of his I will try.
Jenny
Mar 13, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it

Another fun read in the Alex Rutledge mystery series. The setting is Key West, Florida. Eccentric characters and mystery set to a background of paradise is so much fun
Ruth
Jan 27, 2009 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries, series
Emily
Apr 08, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first alex rutledge book and I really liked it. The characters where a little hard to follow sometimes but other than that, great book!
Allyson
Allyson rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Roy
Roy rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Cimmerian
Cimmerian rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Renée Mee
Renée Mee rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Larry DeFoor
Larry DeFoor rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Lo
Lo rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Mark Sorensen
Mark Sorensen rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Lisa Ford
Lisa Ford rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Tina Farrell
Tina Farrell rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Jennifer L. Harkless
Jennifer L. Harkless rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Ronald Campbell
Ronald Campbell rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Obx_reader
Obx_reader rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Jon Barber
Jon Barber rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2009
Vern
Vern rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2008
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Killer Blonde (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12.5)
  • Bahamarama
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Tom Corcoran first moved to Florida in 1970. He has been a disc jockey, bartender, AAA travel counselor, U. S. Navy officer, screenwriter, freelance photographer, automotive magazine editor, computer graphic artist, and journalist.
More about Tom Corcoran...

An Alex Rutledge Mystery (7 books)
  • The Mango Opera
  • Gumbo Limbo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Octopus Alibi: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Hawk Channel Chase
  • The Quick Adios (Times Six)