Start by marking “Mørkets elsker (den sorte dolks brorskap #1)” as Want to Read:
Mørkets elsker (den sorte dolks brorskap #1)

Mørkets elsker (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  173,831 ratings  ·  8,540 reviews
Bli kjent med Den sorte dolks brorskap - og kvinnene som forelsker seg i mørkets menn.Beth er 25 år og jobber i en lokalavis. Hun har ingen familie, for moren døde da hun ble født. Beth har aldri fått vite hvem som er faren hennes. Hun lever et stille liv, men alt endrer seg da en bil går i luften utenfor en lokal bar. Mannen som omkommer i eksplosjonen er nemlig Beths far ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 480 pages
Published 2009 by Cappelen Damm (first published 2005)

Mel
Mar 24, 2010 Mel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mel by: Amelia and Stav
Shelves: pnr
*channeling Johnny Cash *

"Six foot six he stood on the ground,
he weighted 235 pounds
But I saw that giant of a man brought down
to his knees by loooove."

A few dear Goodreads-friends pressured me into reading this and I must say: I'm pleasantly surprised (3,5 stars).
An interesting and unpredictable plot? Not really. Cliché? Very. Romance and sex? At times the romance was almost sappy and the sex was good but I actually had expected it to be hotter (it's quality people, not quantity!).
But des
Loederkoningin
You have got to be kidding me.

What author names her main characters, the members of the incredibly dark and dangerous black dagger brotherhood of vampire warriors....*inhales*
...Wrath, Tohrment, Vishous, Rhage, Phury and Zsadist?

And as if that isn't hilarious enough, Ward just doesn't get enough of superlatives to describe how extremely dangerous her vampires - a bunch of interchangeable Conans the Barbarian - actually are. Allow me to quote:

"Rhage was a towering male, big, powerful, stronger
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Wrath was six feet, six inches of pure terror dressed in leather. His hair was long and black, falling straight from a widow's peak. Wraparound sunglasses hid eyes that no one had ever seen revealed. Shoulders were twice the size of most males'. With a face that was both aristocratic and brutal, he looked like the king he was by birthright and the solider he'd become by destiny."

*sigh*

Fantastic start to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series!
We get the world building, the awesome characters, t
Ren
UPDATE : Thanks for all friends and people who have like this review and commenting. Glad I can make you smile and laugh ^_^.
Black Dagger Brotherhood is masterpiece, and it will always be =)

My feeling right now :

description

Allright, this is the first book that start my love for BDB series, and when I know this book will be translated a year ago (at February 2010), I'm excited!!

Waiting 2-3 months later, no news...

Waiting 2-3 next months later, still no news...

And then at July, the publisher said that
Kat Kennedy
I originally wrote this review in a more innocent time. A time, if you can imagine, when I was a lot less cynical and a lot more likely to give books a break.

So I did the obligatory drool over the Black Dagger Brotherhood men whilst expressing frustration at the multiple POV's (SO MANY!). I complained about the content and nature of Wrath and Beth's relationship but let it slide because, hey it was just some light-hearted fun.

A couple of years ago I was at my mother's house when a large, terrify
Navessa
How to Write a Paranormal Romance

Step One : Create a Sue

This is a female lead that can either be a Mary Sue, a Jerk Sue or a Sympathetic Sue. Just an FYI, most writers go with a Mary, as the ideal of women remaining virgins until they find “The One” is allegedly still vastly appealing to the masses. I suggest creating a heroine that’s never even been attracted to a man before. It makes it seem more like it's fate when she meets the male lead and less like you’re trying to shove antiquated belie
KatLynne
(view spoiler)

Wrath - 6'6" - 270 lb Warrior Vampire - Raw male power - Intense - Aggressive - Tattooed - Deliciously erotic - Protective - Hard, ripped, well muscled body

I am always intrigued with the pictures my GR friends add to their reviews. Wanting to get an image of Wrath in those leather pants, I visited photo bucket and this is what I found. While there are no leather pants, I thought he was perfect:)

This is my first "ad
Elle
Jan 01, 2011 Elle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The seriously randy
Recommended to Elle by: The general GoodReads population

It's your fault.

All you Goodreaders.

I was sucked in by the high ratings for this series. And the fact that I couldn't go anywhere on GR without this little red paperback popping up and waving at me. 'Read me. Love me. I'm totally worth it' blah blaaahh.

Where were the characters???
Seriously. Where were they? WHY were they?

I could not for the life of me identify who was who and why they were there. And WHY did they fall in love? Are you, J.R.Ward, trying to sell me this idea of love-at-first-
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
God, so that's how the Black Dagger Brotherhood series starts out, huh? I am so bummed that I didn't start with this one. It only makes sense to read the series in order but at the time, I only had the sixth and seventh book on hand. Nevertheless, Dark Lover is as solid as ever.

Wrath, my man. This dude is so fucking hot, it's insane. He's so arrogant and aggressive. He's possesive and passionate. He's the best King in my mind. And Beth, where do I even start with her? She is so strong, even from
Lorena
I was disappointed by this book. From the description, it sounded more like dark fantasy, but in practice, it's more like a romance novel of the cheesiest variety, only replace the generic pirate/naughty lord/auto mechanic human hunk with a vampire hunk. The dialogue was overwrought, and the behavior of the man/men in question was extremely stereotypical when it wasn't extremely implausible (even given that we are theoretically talking about men of a different and non-existent-in-reality species ...more
Heather
I should have known by the summary that this book would suck ass, but alas, I was blinded by that s*xy sounding name, Wrath. Curse Ms. Ward for being intelligent enough to make that up. With a name like Wrath, I was expecting some sensual sinning to take place, but all I got was a blind, leather duster wearing vampire thug who introduces us to ridiculous supernatural turf wars, rap music, and the f bomb. Even worse, the supposed world of sensuality began as a cable guy fantasy gone wrong. This b ...more
Sarai
This one is not going so well. I am getting sick of the these great fighters that remind me of want to be thugs with their slang and cars and rap music. But to redeem them she tosses in leather? Seriously if I hear bro, what's up and WTF one more time I'm through. Not to mention a blind hero who can smell how the heroine looks????? Anywho I give it 25 more pages. Oh did anyone else skip the parts of Mr. X I just can't stand them... No screw it I'm done.
Vanessa
I remember a few years ago, being huddled around a table in the canteen, and talking about books with some of my friends. They were nigh on obsessed with this vampire hunting series, having bought all the books and swapping them between each other. I never got to borrow any copies (but then again I was kind of burnt out on vampires anyway), but the name did stick in my mind.

Some months later, I asked one of these friends about the title of the books she loved, and she said they were part of a se
Mo

He smiled. “Hey, they like you.”
“And thank God for that,” she murmered, looking down at the daggers.

Well, I finally got around to reading about the BDB. Am I suddenly a Vampire Fan? Not totally, but I am fairly intrigued by the story.

“You don't know this yet. But you are Mine
- Wrath”

I think if dear Butch was not present, I may not have continued with the series but I love his story and his banter with V.

I have to wait until Book 4 to get his story.

Think I am going to like “Z” too …

Next in line
Anna
Jun 06, 2013 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance lovers
[image error]

Well hello there BROTHERHOOD

Goodbye ovaries !!!!!!

EPIC bestie read with Lisa Jayne ..... nothing to it/just do it <3

HOW DO YOU REVIEW A BOOK THAT ALREADY HAS OHHHH ... I DON'T KNOW +50,000 REALLY AWESOME REVIEWS ALREADY??

THAT'S RIGHT
YOU DON'T

DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT IT SISTER SLEDGE....

YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO BE SOLD ON THIS SERIES BECAUSE OF "THIS REVIEW". I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH SOME EYECANDY AND VISUAL AIDS THAT HELPED SELL ME ON THIS SERIES!!! you're welcome :)

I HAVE THE ..."ITI
 ♥  Barb ♥
**5 stars for 6 FEET 6 INCHES of Pure WRATH**

sexy vampires photo: so cool lips-1.jpg

“You don't know this yet. But YOU. ARE. MINE."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It's the story of Wrath and Beth. I know there are a million reviews of this one (so i won't bore you with another..lol) I just wanted to say....BUY IT, READ IT, and I guarantee you will LOVE it!!! I wasn't a big fan of PNR books, well until.... NOW!! WOW to the ZA...it was PHENOMENAL, AWESOME, FAN
Jennifer Kyle
I have officially popped my Black Dagger Brotherhood Series cherry! And wow did I LIKE IT!!!!

description

Why the hell did I wait so long? Why have you? Still kicking this series around on your to read lists. I was just like you the sheer number of books in this series had me holding off starting. What a MISTAKE! The first book was easy reading, fast paced, exciting and fun!

You say you don’t do paranormal? Well these characters of the Black Dagger Brotherhood could be whatever J.R. Ward says they are and be
Sandra

fucking awesome

'Fucking Awesome' doesn't quite cover it.

Captivating
Hot
Epic
Amazing

Feels more like it.

Meet my sexy Wrath...

d6df9f2e a9a1 47c3 b34e 331f496ea1b6 zpsc7df8e93

Wrath is the only true purebred vampire left on earth. He's the leader of the black dagger brotherhood - the 6 strongest vampire warriors who defend their race from slayers.

When one of his most loyal warriors dies, he has to make the last quest his friend gave him - protect his half vampire daughter...

0a0a9e47 7c86 43dd 9c54 b43e7991c765 zps2f36d9c1

His touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both.

tumblr ltc6ml Ofk D1r4ueono1 500

This is how i
Buggy
Opening Line: "Darius looked around the club, taking in the teeming, half-naked bodies on the dance floor."

This is a beautifully done romance. Wrath is a sexy, tormented, to die for hero and Beth is simply perfect as his Queen. JR Ward has created a fantastic paranormal world with this series and I can guarantee you'll enjoy your time spent with the Black Dagger Brotherhood. DARK LOVER is ultimately addicting, sexy, erotic, funny and brash with an entertaining yet menacing cast of seriously alph
Amy (Foxy)
**4.5 BITE ME stars**

The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is NOT your teen daughter's Twilight books. The PG version of vampires will NOT be found in the following pages. The Brotherhood is NOT teenager vampires but instead men who aren't afraid to protect what is rightfully theirs. They don't shy away from sex and marking a woman as their own.

DARK LOVER is Wrath's story.

W - warrior
R - ruler
A - alpha
T - the King
H - honor

description

Cheat sheet for the brotherhood :
Wrath: last pure-blood vampire in existen
4 SWEET-VAMPIRE-PEACHES STARS!!!!!

My Wrath:

Wrath from the black dagger brotherhood

Wrath is the king who never ascended to the throne. His parents died when he was young, and he blames himself for not being able to save them, so he feels as if he is not fit to be king. He’s a huge vamp with a bad attitude, and I dig every single inch of him. I don’t care how mean he is…I LOVE an asshole!

My Beth:

White Bra

Beth thinks her life is normal and boring…nope! Little does she know that she is half-vampire, a rare breed. Beth is a strong character who sh
Christy

photo 58a1f251-3659-43b1-95b0-64b600c1e371_zpseea7fad7.jpg

Book one of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series...

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a group of vampires here to protect the vampire race. Wrath is the leader of this group- their king, by blood.
 photo 8905c3d7-f2e1-48ea-99c7-895a7f6c82bb_zps3042eda8.jpg
Wrath was 6 feet, 9 inches of pure terror dressed in leather.

Wrath is their King, but refuses to lead. He is a loner. A warrior. He doesn’t get too close to anyone. He has his band of brothers, but thats about it. When Wrath’s brother Darius asks him to help his only daughter (who is half human) with her
Lisa
Holy smokes Dark Lover was bloody brilliant!!!!!! Why the hell did I wait so long to jump on the J. R. Ward bandwagon and start reading this series?????? Why?????

This story is action packed, sensuous, and highly addictive. Yes, crack cocaine! I loved it! I was completely enthralled. What I loved about this book is that J.R. Ward doesn't waste anytime and the writing is tight, the romance is not too sappy, her wording and dialogue is so much fun to read, the world-building is epic and everything
Sayuri_x
So I read this book after seeing it on many recommended lists.

I liked it, I didn't love it.

Things I liked.

1. The world which these novels inhabit. You can tell a lot of thought and energy went into the world building here.

2. The actual Brotherhood and the easy banter of the Brothers. They felt like comrades, brother-in-arms.

3. Beth. For once I liked the female character more than the male protanginist. She was smart, capable and although she fell madly in love with no reason at all (apart from a
~IreneOust~♥s~Søren~Ben O'Callahan~Joe Callahan~Nick Pagano~Spin~Deacon~Isaac~Carlo~

4 STARS which according to GR = really liked it and I really did!!!

This is going to be short and sweet and I might change my rating and add to this review as I move along with this series ...

Two weeks ago I said in one of my reviews that I will not be venturing into paranormal genre any time soon if ever again. Guess who is eating their own words? Again! Yep ... ME!!

Going into this series, I was told that this was many readers' least favorite book. Personally, if the books in this series are go
Catarina
4,5 Wrath Stars!!

Okay, I’m not going to be long on this because basically everyone knows what these books are about.
The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a group of vampire warriors that fight for the safety of their specie against everyone who wants to eradicate them.

description

Wrath, one of the members and the vampire is book is focused about, is the King by birthright, but he never claimed his rightful place in the throne.

description

It all begins with the death of one of his brothers, Darius, and with his death he
Julia Graf
Think of every bad vampire clichee you've ever heard of and now apply that to a book - you've just thought of Dark Lover by JR Ward. I will never understand Goodreads ratings, because this book is just ridiculously eye-roll inducing.

I should have quit while I was ahead - the fact that our female lead protagonist nearly gets raped in a back alley in the first chapter of the book should have been warning enough of what was to come. Then came the most ridiculous scene with our lead male protagnonis
Daisiemae
May 21, 2008 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, but I am probably the last person in the planet to finally read it...hee hee
Recommended to Daisiemae by: All of my friends here...y'all were soooo right about this one:)
Okay, so it took me a while to get on the Black Dagger Brotherhood bandwagon. Some of y'all know that I went over 4 years without picking up a book, so when I started reading again in August, I was behind (and still am) with series books.
In all honesty, I put reading this book off because I thought I would expect too much from it. All of the hype about it leads you to believe that it is unfailingly awesome...well it was.
I loved both Wrath and Beth. In my opinion they couldn't have been matched
Dina
Photobucket

I had this book sitting on my TBR for a while, but I wasn´t too compelled to read it because, quite frankly, vampires were always a bit too creepy for me. Anyway, I was finally convinced to give it a try and, thankfully, I was not disappointed. :)

I confess that the whole bloodsucking stuff is still kinda creepy to me - I know some people find it sexy, but I just don´t get it -, so I thank J.R. Ward for toning it down and not making such a big deal out of it. These BDB vampires are completely di
Kevin S
I will review this as a series. I am conflicted on this series. My wife was raving about them and I love vampire books, so she had me start reading them. I have to admit that I like them. I do find flaws with them though. The writing to me is very polar. You either have a very dark, gritty, and violent section, and then you have a hyper-saccharine sweet love scene. Each book is centered mainly around one of the brotherhood. Herein lies another problem with me. The end of each book seems to wrap ...more
BDB vs Dark Hunters 64 171 Dec 23, 2014 12:36PM
Who's Your Favorite Brother? 144 768 Nov 21, 2014 09:35AM
J. R. Ward (BLACK...: Dark Lover (Book 1) 121 446 Jul 26, 2014 08:28PM
Fantasy and Vampi...: May 2014 BOM -Dark Lover 24 50 May 29, 2014 02:56AM
Goodreads Choice ...: Dark Lover (#1 Black Dagger Brotherhood series) - January 2014 71 146 May 28, 2014 10:18PM
Proud of being a ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. May BOTM - Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) 1 5 May 02, 2014 04:05AM
Free Book Giveaway: GIVEAWAY: Dark Lover by JR Ward Ends 4/19 3 22 Apr 14, 2014 10:58AM
  • Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2)
  • Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)
  • Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Unleash the Night (Were-Hunter #2)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2)
20248
Aka Jessica Bird

Jessica Rowley Pell Bird was born on 1969 in Massachusetts, USA. She is the daughter of Maxine F. and W. Gillette Bird, Jr. She began writing as a child, penning her thoughts in diaries as well as inventing short stories. She read her first Harlequin Presents novel in a rose garden when she was in her teens. She was hooked immediately. By the time she went to college, she had boxes
More about J.R. Ward...
Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)

48 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.” 3436 likes
“You've won the evolutionary lottery: You're a vampire. Let's go to Disneyland!” 1415 likes