Start by marking “Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies

Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Your hands-on, friendly guide to writing young adult fictionWith young adult book sales rising, and bestselling authors like J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer exploding onto the scene, aspiring YA writers are more numerous than ever. Are you interested in writing a young adult novel, but aren't sure how to fit the style that appeals to young readers?

"Writing Young Adult Fic
Published June 9th 2011 by For Dummies (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies

Margo Kelly
Well ... I had no intention of reading this book because I hated the title ... but when an editor rejected my manuscript and told me I should read this book, I let out a sigh and conceeded.

It's a very quick and easy read (maybe because it was written for DUMMIES *please note intended sarcasm*). I read it in less than a day, and although I was resistant, I came away from it with about twenty pages flagged.

The author gives basic and easy tips for improving your writing and tackling that tricky to
Carol Riggs
Excellent resource--not just for Newbies!

I'm glad to have added this book to my collection of writing resources! The book is comprehensive, starting out from setting up a writing workspace all the way to the how-to's of publication. The book is organized into self-contained logical sections so you can browse it like a smorgasbord, choosing what you want, when you need it. There are great details for the beginning writer, but also wonderful reminders, juicy tidbits, and food-for-thought for more
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies by Deborah Halversen which is an excellent book which I bought from kindle. There are 2 major types of young adult fiction, there is tween or middle grade aimed at 12 or under and teen or young adult fiction aimed at 12-17 year olds. Many adults read young adult fiction particularly the fantasy and science fiction types as it reminds them of happy times. Fantasy and science fiction are probably the 2 most popular t ...more
Barbulescu Diana
It was a very good book that covers everything from plot to characters and dialogue, to publishing and all, a book that emphasizes what young adult fiction is and how it is different from other genres of fiction. I recommend it to all those that want to write YA. If there is one guide book to read before starting your piece, it's this one.
Sidney
I'm writing my first young adult fiction book, and this book answered all my basic questions like how to write for various age groups literacy level, what kids like to read, how many pages, can I refer to drugs or sex, what boys read, and so on.

It's written in according to the "dummies" formula. I got the small format Nook version and found it unpleasant because it was not easy to skim parts that I didn't need to read and find parts that were relevant. I'd recommend getting a hard copy of this o
Alec
This book is absolutely amazing. It's really helped improve my writing.
Paul Teague
Really useful book, packed with lots of good info.

Some really great, practical publishing advice saved until the end too.
Lady Entropy
Not as informative or organized as "Writing Novels For Dummies", it's still full of interesting information, and a must read for people planning on writing YA fiction.

It dedicates WAY too much time (almost a fifth of the book) to promoting book\finding agents\working with editors\sending your submission -- maybe that could be left for "Book Publishing For Dummies"? I would have liked to see more in working the plot, and revising, rather than "general" guidelines.

Still, worth the money.
Christie Speich
I was pleasantly surprised at how well this book covered "writing for teens" vs just writing. It doesn't fall into the category of "the ONLY book on writing you'll ever need!" (but really, does any book?) which is fine with me, because what I was really looking for were things like writing believable teenage dialogue, believable teenage characters, etc. This book delivers on those kinds of topics, just as the title promises.
I. Clayton Reynolds
Great guide for those who are new to young adult fiction. It answered so many of my questions in a nice organized manner. Much of the book is just a general guide to writing effectively, but at each step along the way it compares what goes in young adult fiction to what goes in adult fiction. I have not yet come across another comparable resource on this topic. I recommend this to any author considering writing young adult fiction.
M-E Girard
An awesome read for anyone starting out writing YA fiction. I've read several books on writing and this is a great comprehensive guide.

A bonus is all the "white space" around and between the text. It makes it so easy to turn pages that you won't feel bogged down by all this educational reading. :P
Julie
It's a must read for young adult authors. I was wary of the "For Dummies" label, but Deborah Halverson delivers a writing guide that is applause-worthy for both its breadth and depth. From an author's first word to publication, Halverson covers in detail what quality teen fiction looks like.
Zara Hoffman
A great easy to understand guide that walks you through every step of the writing process from a first draft, to revision, to submissions and conferences (and much more). I highly recommend this book.
Taleed
I highly recommend this book to anyone that is interested in writing young adult fiction. Deborah is an expert in her field and her insight is invaluable.
Joann
Deborah will be appearing at the SDCL Book Fest Oct 1, 2011. Very hwlpful book for anyone interested in writing for the Teen market.
Jen (A Book and a Latte)
This is a great reference book! I borrowed this from the library but I'll be buying a copy.
Catrina Barton
Absolute enlightening book for people who like me want to break into the YA market!
Anna
This book is amazing! All YA authors should have a copy.
Elaine
A must have for anyone writing YA fiction.
Stephanie Banks
Stephanie Banks marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Marsalenegurl
Marsalenegurl marked it as to-read
Florence Cardinal
Florence Cardinal is currently reading it
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Roxs Goncalves
Roxs Goncalves marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Sylvia Mcgrath
Sylvia Mcgrath marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Giulia Galvao
Giulia Galvao marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Oz
Oz marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
  • Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal
  • Creative Writing for Dummies
  • Writing Fiction for Dummies
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Writing and Selling the YA Novel
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
Deborah Halverson is the award-winning author of Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies and the forthcoming Writing the New Adult Novel: How to Write & Sell New Adult Fiction, as well as the founder of the popular writers’ advice website DearEditor.com. Deborah edited young adult and children’s fiction with Harcourt Children’s Books before picking up a pen to write the teen novels Honk If You ...more
More about Deborah Halverson...
Honk If You Hate Me Writing New Adult Fiction Big Mouth Letters to Santa