Start by marking “The Ninth Life of Louis Drax” as Want to Read:
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  3,855 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
Louis Drax is a boy like no other. He is brilliant and strange, and every year something violent seems to happen to him. On his ninth birthday, Louis goes on a picnic with his parents and falls off a cliff. The details are shrouded in mystery. Louis's mother is shell-shocked; his father has vanished. And after some confusion Louis himself, miraculously alive but deep in a ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ninth Life of Louis Drax, please sign up.

Linda Burson It's from a European publisher. There are no chapter numbers and be prepared if you read it...there are also no quote marks as we are used to here in…moreIt's from a European publisher. There are no chapter numbers and be prepared if you read it...there are also no quote marks as we are used to here in the US. They use one dash...at the beginning only.(less)

PopiTonja
Dec 10, 2015 PopiTonja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neko vreme vec zivim u ubedjenju da su mi dosadili trileri...nakon Luja kapiram da sam samo pravila pogresan izbor! Fantasticna knjiga!
Mark
Aug 30, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all but psychopathic picnickers
Recommended to Mark by: my friend Eunice
The opening line draws you in on the instant

' I'm not most kids. I'm Louis Drax. Stuff happens to me that shouldn't happen, like going on a picnic where you drown '

Such an opening could, I suppose, head off in a number of different directions. Downwards to cliched cleverness, upwards to bizarre stratospheric confusion, meander around the foothills in which wood and trees get totally indistinguishable or settle into a mixture of all three and from that melee produce a really fascinating reflectio
Dannii Elle
My shallow self was immediately sold by the captivating cover! Upon learning this was being adapted into a film, my interest was even further piqued. However, this ended up becoming a puzzling yet ultimately forgettable read, for me.

Nine-year-old Louis Drax is so accident prone that he should be dead nine times over! He has continued to baffle doctors and scientists with his unfailing will to live, despite the accidents and mishaps that have plagued his young life. The story commences upon his n
Maria Espadinha
Feb 03, 2017 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O Rapaz-Gato

"Eu não sou como a maior parte dos rapazes. Sou o Louis Drax. Acontecem-me coisas que não deviam acontecer, como ir a um piquenique e afogar-me"...

De facto Louis Drax pouco ou nada tem a ver com a normalidade:

É um rapaz com uma enorme tendência para acidentes que começaram logo com a sua chegada ao mundo - nasceu como Júlio César!
Após a sua conturbada entrada no planeta , novos acidentes - com graus de fatalidade variáveis - se sucederam, mas a alma colavasse-lhe ao corpo, impedindo-
Kim
Mar 30, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: karen brissette
Shelves: contemporary, mmx

Books are the bestest gifts.

Really. Just a few months ago I gave away my top five books to five people who have been vital to my physical and mental health during the last year. I made them take turns reading them and the reviews that I wrote of them. Did I care if they really liked them? Sort of. Did I make them read them all? You betcha. Why? Because, duh, it’s all about me.

I believe (all mine) that there are only a few reasons to give books:

1. You want the person to see what you loved about
crni biser
Feb 19, 2017 crni biser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Više o knjizi možete pročitati na stranici Crni biser & Prodavnica snova http://crnibiser87.blogspot.rs/2017/0...

Bill
Sep 23, 2010 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lit-fiction
liz jensen has got to be the most imaginative writer ever. this is the third book by her that i've read in the last couple of weeks and none of them are remotely like the others.her writing is uniformly beautiful and her plots are unbelievably gripping.i read this book in one sitting,pausing only once to dash to the kitchen to get a drink.it is that unputdownable.i'm not going to say a damn thing about the plot, you're just going to have to get the book and read it.you won't be sorry.
Erika
May 06, 2012 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: whatthehell
SpookySoto
Oct 27, 2014 SpookySoto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is a weird book, I had it in my TBR because of a goodreads's recommendation but I have 1000+ books in it and I forgot it until Yesterday that I saw that a trailer for the movie came out (I didn't watch it then), and I went and read the synopsis and got this urge to read it, and so I did. I read this in two days, that's very rare for me, I'm not a fast reader and I usually read more than one book at a time, so this means I was really invested in the story, I just couldn't stop reading it.

I k
Michelle Teoh
Apr 05, 2012 Michelle Teoh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God. Spent the whole day reading this and oh my God.

The reason I'd bought this book in the first place was because it was ridiculously cheap, at a Popular books clearance sale. I hadn't thought much of the book, since I've never heard of the title and the author before. Books which I buy without actually wanting to buy them are books that are normally left on my shelf for a long time until I go through my booklist.

But this was different, and after finishing The Fault In Our Stars, I decid
Bibliophile
Aug 09, 2014 Bibliophile rated it really liked it
Having read my first Liz Jensen (The Uninvited) recently, I expected The Ninth Life of Louis Drax to be equally difficult to categorize. It is definitely original, but more conventional in regard to the story than I anticipated. The answer to the mystery of why a nine-year-old boy is lying in a coma is just a matter of connecting the dots. I did that early on, but figured Jensen would turn everything upside down and present me with a totally unexpected mind-bending alternative. When she didn't, ...more
Rachael
Jul 08, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit
Aslı Dağlı
Jul 08, 2014 Aslı Dağlı rated it really liked it
10 dakikadır ekranın karşısında oturmuş kitaba dair bir cümle yazmaya çalışıyorum. Olmuyor. Sanırım hayatımda okuduğum en garip, en tuhaf kitaptı. Ayrıntılı yorumum çok yakında yirmidortsaatacikkitapci.com'da...

Görüşmek üzere.
monica ♪
I don't really read this kind of book, but Jamie Dornan will play as the doctor so I wanna give it a try! LOL

*edit*
JAMIE JUST POSTED THIS ON HIS INSTAGRAM!
description

I'M SO GOING TO READ THIS ASAP!!!
Sandra
Um livro surpreendente.

Surpreendentemente negro.

Surpreendentemente inteligente.

Supreendentemente rico.

Concluindo - nada do que estava à espera.

Pensei que seria um livro bem humorado, leve que me faria sorrir e rir um pouco. Nada disso.

Fez-me pensar, e muito.
Beth
Sep 03, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Read this. It was awesome. A little boy gets hurt and ends up in a coma... this book is about what happens to him, his doctors and his family while he's 'under'. A little bit bizarre, and of course, that's what makes it fun.
★MC's Corner★
May 10, 2015 ★MC's Corner★ rated it it was amazing
…the boy came back to life, two hours after being pronounced officially dead.

I’m never been a fan of this genre in a book. I mean NEVER.
Not until I was reading my Glamour Magazine. There’s an interview there, of Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) and there’s a ‘On Their Future’ thingy and Jamie answered “I’m filming The
9th Life of Louis Drax.” So yeah! I got curious and I found out its based on a book… *grin*
(Glamour 2015 Pg. 275)

It was so good! Few days after I finish
Roya MD
Jan 07, 2017 Roya MD rated it liked it
ترسناک بود. نه به اندازه ی هم نوعای هنرمندانه تر خودش، ولی خب فکر کنم تقریبا به چیزی که می خواست رسید.
شخصیت پردازی خوبی داشت؛ لویی خیلی خوب عجیب بودن و ترس رو القا می کرد، و مادرش هم همین طور. کتاب انگار چیزی بین نوجوان و یزرگسال معلق بود، و بعضی جاها نثرش یکم قاطی می کرد. جمله ی اول ماضی بود و بلافاصله جمله ی بعدش مضارع. و طوری که انگار داستان در طول یه مدت طولانی نوشته شده باشه، نگارش و بیان آخرای کتاب نسبت به اولش پیشرفت کرده بود.
درمورد اصل داستان... چیز خوبی بود. رازهایی که کم کم برملا می شد
Fatima
Sep 15, 2016 Fatima rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, english
I honestly don't know what to think of this book. The premise is good, really good, it has the potential to be epic. But the story feels rushed, the relationships between characters aren't built well enough for us to be sympathetic toward them, especially between Natalie and Pascal. Add to that, the "solution" of the mystery is obvious from the beginning, but I think the author was being transparent on purpose. She wanted us to know, maybe to make us feel smart that we "solved" the mystery befor ...more
Carla Geraldes
Perturbador e cruel. Seriam estas duas as palavras que usaria para descrever este livro.

Este livro veio parar-me às mãos sem estar à espera. Uma amiga que o aconselhou, e mesmo sem ter lido a sinopse peguei nele.
As impressões iniciais foram contraditórias. Se por um lado não me estava a cativar, pelo outro queria saber o que tinha acontecido ao Louis e a verdade por detrás do acidente.
Não é de todo o meu género de leitura, no entanto gostei
Misericordia ❣
Jun 22, 2017 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Q:
Мы выходим на террасу, за которой сразу начинается сад. Обжигающий ветер сводит с ума, и я стараюсь его игнорировать; дух захватывает от красоты этого укрощенного кусочка земли: воздушные потоки хлещут листву, превращая ее в смуту из серебра, пурпура, розового, лилового и белого.
(c)
Q:
Paula
Feb 23, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Ninth Life of Louis Drax' is the story of nine year old Louis Drax, a boy who is accident prone and believes he is living his ninth life after losing the previous eight (due to his accidents). Louis is very intelligent, precocious and deceitful (for reasons you will find out).

Following a tragic accident when Louis falls into a ravine, at the time he and his parents were enjoying a picnic when the accident occurred, now his father is missing, his mother is in shock and Louis is in a coma.
L
Lisa
Mar 07, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Rapture I was expecting something along similar lines but was pleasantly surprised that it was quite different. It was well written, with nothing suerfluous at all, pretty fast paced and uncomplicated. Loved the story, loved the twists, could have been explored in much more depth but I think it would have spoiled the sense of the book. A delight
Kat
Jun 28, 2016 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book kept me at the edge of my seat. It reminded me some of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects with the dark and sinister tone of the book. However I have to say once I figured out what was happening I was a little let down. I was hoping for something more.
Marina
Sep 30, 2016 Marina rated it liked it
Weird book.
Kate
Apr 18, 2017 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Некоторые семьи очень непохожи на другие, они слишком особенные"
Очень занятно часть текста написана от лица истеричного девятилетнего мальчика, а в остальном неплохая история о том, что в каждой избушке свои погремушки, а в некоторых семьях кое-кто так заврался, что родственники махнули рукой, а посторонним и вовсе без поллитры не разобраться.
Sofia
Mar 19, 2017 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este é um livro difícil de catalogar. Investiga-se um crime, mas não é policial. Desvenda-se um drama familiar, mas não é um romance típico. Debate-se a fronteira entre a medicina e a crença, mas não é um livro que procure vincar uma opinião...
Em suma, um livro fora do vulgar, como o próprio Louis Drax.
Ivana
Feb 25, 2011 Ivana rated it really liked it
I didn't read anything by Liz Jensen before, though I heard quite some stuff about her recently published The Rapture. Now that I have read this one, The Rapture is launched straight to the top of my wishlist.

Louis Drax is an accident-prone nine year old boy from Lyon. Strange things happen to him; he is obsessed with death, strange animals, poisons and raping. Mysteries are built around his young life. After having eight close-to-death experiences, one for each year of his life, the ninth chan
Carrie
Jan 21, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
If you like Chuck Palahniuk's style, you should definitely give Liz Jensen a try. In this book, there are two narrators, each with a really distinctive voice. Louis is a disturbed 9-year-old boy who has fallen (or was he pushed?) off a cliff on his 9th birthday while on a picnic with his estranged parents. His father goes missing the same afternoon and Louis dies, but comes back to life and introduces himself to the reader while in a coma. He also likes to tack explanatory phrases onto the ends ...more
Book or Movie; Yo...: The Ninth Life of Louis Drax - September 1 6 Sep 02, 2016 07:18AM
Contemporary YA: The Ninth Life of Louis Drax 1 6 Aug 31, 2016 06:44AM
  • The Spider Truces
  • The Harrogate Secret
  • True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa
  • Ebola: The Natural and Human History of a Deadly Virus
  • The Fellowship: The Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship
  • Debaixo de Algum Céu
  • Ten Questions Science Can't Answer (Yet!): A Guide to Science's Greatest Mysteries
  • A Good Death
  • The Cloister and the Hearth
  • The Scheme For Full Employment
  • The Donor
Liz Jensen was born in Oxfordshire, the daughter of a Danish father and an Anglo-Moroccan mother. She spent two years as a journalist in the Far East before joining the BBC, first as a journalist, then as a TV and radio producer. She then moved to France where she worked as a sculptor began her first novel, Egg Dancing, which was published in 1995. Back in London she wrote Ark Baby (1998) which wa ...more
More about Liz Jensen...

“Everyone said that one day I was going to have a big accident, an accident to end all accidents. One day you might look up and see a kid falling from the sky. That would be me.” 8 likes
“A mixture of feelings- love, distaste, revulsion, pity- rose in my throat…There was an eternity to that moment, that see-sawing split- second when adoration clung and then lurched, spilling into chaos, rage, hate, anger: the desire to smash and embrace, love and destroy. Betrayal does that…Shows you how worthless love is, when its object is indifferent, ruthless, no more than a machine for surviving.” 2 likes