Start by marking “Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)

Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  659 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In one harrowing day, Viking raiders capture Bree and her brother Devin and take them from their home in Ireland. After the young Viking prince Mikkel sets Devin free on the Irish coast far from home, Bree and Devin embark on separate journeys to courage. Readers will be captivated by the unfolding drama as Bree sails to Norway on the Viking ship and Devin travels the dang ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Raiders from the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raiders from the Sea

Karla M
I pre-read this book for my sons homeschool Viking study. I liked the way the author demonstated the way we, as Christians struggle with accepting God's will when it isn't in our plan. I also like the way she showed the main character struggling between witnessing and forgiving. It sparked a desire in my son to learn more about Ireland and Norway
Daniel
I quite enjoyed Lois Walfrid Johnson's first series "Adventures in the North Woods" and moderately enjoyed her second series, "The Riverboat Adventures." This series departs from the earlier two in that this book was not a mystery, and had no true conclusion to the story, as the first two series' did.

The history was still apparently well researched, though I felt that the young girl was a tad too modern to truly be living in this time and place.

I never felt completely caught up in the story, and
Ginny
This book kept the boys interest to the last page. Unfortunately, the book ends with a cliffhanger, so you need to read the next book in the series. There are five books in this series, and our library doesn't have them. We don't own the other four. I expect they will be added to our wish list. Glad to find a good adventure story written by a Christian author!
Shantelle Mary
Incredible book!! My siblings and I loved this book and the books that followed in the Viking Quest series.
Great for probably ages 10-teens; an amazing book of Irish, Vikings, adventure, and God's miraculous love and power.
Not a series to be missed!!
Madison
We read these aloud. The main character,a captive slave named Bree, has.... could I call it an anger problem? She takes the slightest gesture from her captor as an excuse to explode into a fit of rage. She has absolutely no respect for authorities who own her, she treats them as equals and strangely, is often treated that way.

The settings seem to be historically accurate, but the rather women's lib stance of the main characters is most definitely not.

I think some of the younger siblings enjoye
Heather
I probably would have really liked this book at 11 or 12, but as an adult, a lot of it annoys me. Mostly the "relationship" between Bree and her conveniently young Viking captor Mikkel. In real life she probably would've been raped into submission. Not trying to be crude, but there is obviously a sexual tension going on here, all-too-common in Christian fiction (although I didn't recognize it growing up) between the girl and somewhat abusive, domineering male. Not to mention he's taken her as a ...more
Rachel
I was organizing books for a friend, labeling and putting away new books, when something caught my eye. Covers with an Irish-looking design, interesting time period...I had to investigate. I ended up reading the five-book series between Friday night and the following Monday night. Sarah beat me and read them in two days, and both of us promptly read the series start-to-finish for a second time. They're keepers!

The Viking Quest series by Lois Walfrid Johnson is set in Ireland, Norway and the Nort
I thought I saw a mention of this book's religious themes maybe once when I did a cursory check to see what Goodreads thought of it before I put it on hold. Mistake on my part.

As leery as I am about reading Christian fiction for personal reasons (raised Methodist, my personal beliefs are probably agnostic), this as a book in general was just not good. It wasn't even the religious bits (which were a bit uncomfortable). I've read good books with religious characters whose beliefs are there, and Go
Rebecca
Thirteen-year-old Bree O'Toole and her fourteen-year-old brother, Devin, live with their parents and younger siblings on a farm in Ireland in the late tenth century. Bree loves her beautiful home, and is grateful that even though she is a girl, she was given the opportunity to be educated at the monastery. But at the same time, she often longs to see faraway places. She gets her wish, but in a terrible way. One day, she rescues a young man from drowning, not realizing he is a Viking and by savin ...more
Lisa Canfield
The last time I read this series was a few years ago, but my friend and I have both read all five books NUMEROUS times. I remember when my mom found the first four books at a book sale and bought them for me. They sounded interesting and I was about 11-12 at the time. From the first page I was hooked and I could not stop until I was done with the fourth book. Then when I found out there was another one, I begged my mom nonstop until she got that one for me too.

The conflict between the beliefs i
Tirzah
Bree's story was dear to me at age 14. It still is dear to me as an adult and will be until I am old and gray. The Viking Quest series is just one of those books that are full of simple but important lessons and beautiful characters that capture your heart.

In all honesty, I am biased. I have an interest in the Viking/Norwegian culture and the Irish culture. Plus, I am a HUGE fan of author Lois Walfrid Johnson's Adventures of the Northwoods series. And I am a Christian, so the Christian elements
Rebekah .
I'm a Celtic/Irish fan, minus the pagan/occult aspect of it, so this book was just up my alley!!! Gets 5 stars for that! Lots of great action keeps you on the edge of your seat, and leaves you hanging at the end of each book. I love the real authentic Celtic feel the whole plot and background has- I think it's very historically accurate too. That's what makes the books so great. Even adults will enjoy reading this story.
Nikiandcory
This is a page turner! Grades 5-7 will especially like this adventure. Written from a distinctly Christian worldview, students will be encouraged to consider their freedom in a new light. I am currently going through this book with my class and all of them have read beyond the assigned reading each week because it was that exciting! The vocabulary is not difficult for grades 5-7 but I think "older students" will even enjoy the storyline.
Zoe Scrivener
I greatly enjoyed some of Johnson's other books when I was younger, but I did not find this one as interesting as the ones I read before. I found it a little frustrating that it was really just the first part of a story, rather than a self-standing tale.
Timothy Walker
it was okay but it did not have anything that grabbed my interest. it does not compare to brotherband. i read it for history and did not learn nothing. it is still worth reading if you have a lot of free time.
Aspen
Jul 21, 2014 Aspen added it
One of my favorite book series ever! I read them and then told my friend to read them too and she loved them! We loved them so much we start writing the Next book! ( course we never finished it but the research was fun)
Nicole
This was a quick, fun read.
The main character, Bree, was strong and faithful and I loved to see her grow.
Will pick up the rest of the series when I'm in the mood. :)
Leah Good
When Briana–or Bree as she is usually called–is captured by viking raiders, she needs every bit of courage she has. Enslaved by an arrogant young man, Bree clings to her faith to see her through and seeks God’s help and guidance.

This book is the first of the Viking Quest series. When a friend first mentioned the series to me, I said I wasn’t interested in the vikings. Thankfully she knew me better and convinced me to read them. My only protest when I reached the end of Raiders from the Sea was t
Bethany
One of my favorite series when I was about thirteen. I need to re-read.
Tiffany
As a homeschooling family we have been using Heart of Dakota's curriculum this year. This unit study called for this book as a read aloud as we began to learn about the Vikings and other Germanic tribes.

We enjoyed this book from the beginning, it is very well written. We were drawn into the story and became attached to the characters. As we read further, we knew that we'd want to read the entire series. I'm glad we're going to finish it because the way the first book ends there is no way I coul
Eliz
Definitely one of my favorites
Maiya
May 25, 2010 Maiya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To any one who loves adventure
Recommended to Maiya by: My brothers shelf
Shelves: recommendations
Wow, if you are looking for some adventure read these books.As a young reader i would always take a adventure book over a mystery or love story any day. In the 'Raiders From The Sea' my brother read them and i saw them sitting on his book shelf, lucky thing i saw them and started to read the first chapter. And after that i was hooked! Lois also wrote a four other books to go along with this one so after i finished this one (which I finished in one day!) i read all the others which are also very, ...more
Anna Pittman
I love this book
Heather
One of my sons wants to learn more about Vikings so I ordered this series on a whim. Thus far I have really liked it. The characters are well-developed and strong. The action is not overwhelming or too intense. The Christian faith of the main characters helps to teach some great lessons that I'd like my boys to learn.

Overall a fun series and one I would readily allow my children to read (or read to them).
Brittany
When Bree and her brother are captured by viking raiders, they are angry and afraid. But they must learn to forgive their enemies and never give up hope.
This was a charming little story. Despite the fact that it is written for children, it was still very enjoyable for me as an adult. Of course it is a bit simple, but it is a great story and I am excited to read the rest of the series.
Lacey
I loved the description of Ireland and the characters. A very captivating story. To be taken captive from your homeland would be a terrifying thing! It takes a lot of courage and strength to endure such circumstances and not become bitter. A very great begin to the series.
Hannah
I absolutely loved this book. I first got interested in Lois Walfred Johnson's book when I was reading "The Mandie Series" which were okay, but I soon discovered that Johnson's books were much better and more enjoyable. My sister got these for Christmas one year and I couldn't wait until she finished with them so I could read them!
Meadow
In this book Bree saves a boy from drownding in the river near her home not knowing she was set up. She soon realizes that the "boy" she saved is no other then the dreaded owner of a fierce viking ship. Mikkel runs things how he wants and takes Bree and her brother Devin captive. But bree bargins her brother so that he may go free
What's The Name o...: christian YA book about an irish girl who gets kidnapped by vikings [s] 4 98 May 03, 2013 04:54PM
Viking Quest Fans 13 19 Dec 13, 2012 02:00PM
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • Twice Freed
  • A Father's Promise
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Isle of Swords (Isle of Swords, #1)
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • Spy for the Night Riders
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2) The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3) Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5) Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4) The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)