Start by marking “Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)

Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  933 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
In one harrowing day, Viking raiders capture Bree and her brother Devin and take them from their home in Ireland. After the young Viking prince Mikkel sets Devin free on the Irish coast far from home, Bree and Devin embark on separate journeys to courage.

Readers will be captivated by the unfolding drama as Bree sails to Norway on the Viking ship and Devin travels the dange
Published August 1st 2003 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Raiders from the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raiders from the Sea

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Best Christian YA Books
26th out of 206 books — 180 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
98th out of 596 books — 640 voters

More lists with this book...

Shantelle
Incredible book!! My siblings and I loved this book and the books that followed in the Viking Quest series.

Great for probably ages 10-teens; an amazing book of Irish, Vikings, adventure, and God's miraculous love and power.

Not a series to be missed!!
Karla M
I pre-read this book for my sons homeschool Viking study. I liked the way the author demonstated the way we, as Christians struggle with accepting God's will when it isn't in our plan. I also like the way she showed the main character struggling between witnessing and forgiving. It sparked a desire in my son to learn more about Ireland and Norway
Daniel
Mar 24, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed Lois Walfrid Johnson's first series "Adventures in the North Woods" and moderately enjoyed her second series, "The Riverboat Adventures." This series departs from the earlier two in that this book was not a mystery, and had no true conclusion to the story, as the first two series' did.

The history was still apparently well researched, though I felt that the young girl was a tad too modern to truly be living in this time and place.

I never felt completely caught up in the story, and
McKayla
Mar 19, 2016 McKayla rated it it was amazing
Several years ago, I entered a writing contest and my reward was this book. I must have been maybe 9 or 10. And I loved it. I'm pretty sure I had my mom read it aloud, and we immediately went and bought the next book.
I reread this from the 19-year-old perspective, remembering how beloved this series was to me when I was younger.
Turns out, it was just as good as I thought it was. It makes me upset to read these reviews of how unrealistic it is, how Bree couldn't have been so educated, or how she
I thought I saw a mention of this book's religious themes maybe once when I did a cursory check to see what Goodreads thought of it before I put it on hold. Mistake on my part.

As leery as I am about reading Christian fiction for personal reasons (raised Methodist, my personal beliefs are probably agnostic), this as a book in general was just not good. It wasn't even the religious bits (which were a bit uncomfortable). I've read good books with religious characters whose beliefs are there, and Go
Madison
May 29, 2014 Madison rated it it was ok
We read these aloud. The main character,a captive slave named Bree, has.... could I call it an anger problem? She takes the slightest gesture from her captor as an excuse to explode into a fit of rage. She has absolutely no respect for authorities who own her, she treats them as equals and strangely, is often treated that way.

The settings seem to be historically accurate, but the rather women's lib stance of the main characters is most definitely not.

I think some of the younger siblings enjoye
Kristen Smith
Jun 25, 2015 Kristen Smith rated it it was ok
I read all five books in this series and while I might recommend them to a patient 8-10 year-old, I don't think there are many of those. This series has a few problems, which is a shame because, had they been fixed, this would have made a great trilogy.
First problem: while I respect and appreciate the role religion plays for most of us, its expression in these novels is too saccharine and makes me cringe.
Second problem: We know from the beginning that Bree will probably fall for her Viking capto
Ginny
Mar 04, 2011 Ginny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This book kept the boys interest to the last page. Unfortunately, the book ends with a cliffhanger, so you need to read the next book in the series. There are five books in this series, and our library doesn't have them. We don't own the other four. I expect they will be added to our wish list. Glad to find a good adventure story written by a Christian author!
Brittany
Oct 25, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the family. My son had to read it for book club. My daughter, age 13, heard us reading it out loud to each other and said, "That sounds really good, can I read it with y'all?" So, all three of us have loved it. It is very full of adventure. We plan to read the entire series.
H.
Oct 06, 2015 H. rated it it was amazing
I am next to incapable of putting these down! Her writing style is enrapturing and compels you to continue.

Full of action and suspense, Lois Walfrid Johnson's Viking Quest will capture the imagination of young and old alike. The series begins with siblings Briana (Bree) and Devin O'Toole, children of an Irish chieftain.

After their sister, Keely was stolen away years before, Devin and Bree have always been told to beware the dreaded Vikings. But even with the warning to always be on their guard
Stormsiren99
Oct 20, 2015 Stormsiren99 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This book had potential but sadly fell short due to the fact that the writing is very immature. It has a "the grass is green, the sky is blue" feel to it. It was not a bad book, but I found it hard to get through due to the writing style. Despite it saying "ages 10 and up," I probably could have read it when I was in the second or third grade. I do like the Christian aspects in it, but again, it just seemed way too young in my opinion. I guess it all depends on the reading level. Howe ...more
Heather
Oct 11, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
I probably would have really liked this book at 11 or 12, but as an adult, a lot of it annoys me. Mostly the "relationship" between Bree and her conveniently young Viking captor Mikkel. In real life she probably would've been raped into submission. Not trying to be crude, but there is obviously a sexual tension going on here, all-too-common in Christian fiction (although I didn't recognize it growing up) between the girl and somewhat abusive, domineering male. Not to mention he's taken her as a ...more
Amy
Aug 11, 2015 Amy marked it as william-on-his-own
William enjoyed this Christian values series.
Rachel
I was organizing books for a friend, labeling and putting away new books, when something caught my eye. Covers with an Irish-looking design, interesting time period...I had to investigate. I ended up reading the five-book series between Friday night and the following Monday night. Sarah beat me and read them in two days, and both of us promptly read the series start-to-finish for a second time. They're keepers!

The Viking Quest series by Lois Walfrid Johnson is set in Ireland, Norway and the Nort
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Thirteen-year-old Bree O'Toole and her fourteen-year-old brother, Devin, live with their parents and younger siblings on a farm in Ireland in the late tenth century. Bree loves her beautiful home, and is grateful that even though she is a girl, she was given the opportunity to be educated at the monastery. But at the same time, she often longs to see faraway places. She gets her wish, but in a terrible way. One day, she rescues a young man from drowning, not realizing he is a Viking and by savin ...more
Lisa Canfield
Jul 19, 2013 Lisa Canfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The last time I read this series was a few years ago, but my friend and I have both read all five books NUMEROUS times. I remember when my mom found the first four books at a book sale and bought them for me. They sounded interesting and I was about 11-12 at the time. From the first page I was hooked and I could not stop until I was done with the fourth book. Then when I found out there was another one, I begged my mom nonstop until she got that one for me too.

The conflict between the beliefs i
Tirzah
Jul 26, 2015 Tirzah rated it it was amazing
Bree's story was dear to me at age 14. It still is dear to me as an adult and will be until I am old and gray. The Viking Quest series is just one of those books that are full of simple but important lessons and beautiful characters that capture your heart.

In all honesty, I am biased. I have an interest in the Viking/Norwegian culture and the Irish culture. Plus, I am a HUGE fan of author Lois Walfrid Johnson's Adventures of the Northwoods series. And I am a Christian, so the Christian elements
Rebekah .
Jun 22, 2014 Rebekah . rated it it was amazing
I'm a Celtic/Irish fan, minus the pagan/occult aspect of it, so this book was just up my alley!!! Gets 5 stars for that! Lots of great action keeps you on the edge of your seat, and leaves you hanging at the end of each book. I love the real authentic Celtic feel the whole plot and background has- I think it's very historically accurate too. That's what makes the books so great. Even adults will enjoy reading this story.
Nikiandcory
Jan 24, 2014 Nikiandcory rated it it was amazing
This is a page turner! Grades 5-7 will especially like this adventure. Written from a distinctly Christian worldview, students will be encouraged to consider their freedom in a new light. I am currently going through this book with my class and all of them have read beyond the assigned reading each week because it was that exciting! The vocabulary is not difficult for grades 5-7 but I think "older students" will even enjoy the storyline.
Zoe Scrivener
I greatly enjoyed some of Johnson's other books when I was younger, but I did not find this one as interesting as the ones I read before. I found it a little frustrating that it was really just the first part of a story, rather than a self-standing tale.
Timothy Walker
Jul 31, 2014 Timothy Walker rated it it was ok
it was okay but it did not have anything that grabbed my interest. it does not compare to brotherband. i read it for history and did not learn nothing. it is still worth reading if you have a lot of free time.
Hannah Griesmyer
Mar 12, 2015 Hannah Griesmyer rated it it was amazing
This is the first of a five book series. The characters personalities are realistic and loving.
I love this series, and it is not one for just children, but for all ages.
I recommend it highly.
Nicole
Oct 11, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
This was a quick, fun read.
The main character, Bree, was strong and faithful and I loved to see her grow.
Will pick up the rest of the series when I'm in the mood. :)
Leah Good
When Briana–or Bree as she is usually called–is captured by viking raiders, she needs every bit of courage she has. Enslaved by an arrogant young man, Bree clings to her faith to see her through and seeks God’s help and guidance.

This book is the first of the Viking Quest series. When a friend first mentioned the series to me, I said I wasn’t interested in the vikings. Thankfully she knew me better and convinced me to read them. My only protest when I reached the end of Raiders from the Sea was t
Michelle
Sep 02, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Loved this series of books when my children were younger! My youngest gone back and reread them a time or two!
Amy Schuff
May 01, 2016 Amy Schuff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 16-in-2016
Great christian fiction book for ages 10 and up. I really love the relationship between the siblings and how they center everything on the Lord and the Bible.

But this is just book one...must read the next book to see what happens!!!
Bethany
Aug 09, 2014 Bethany rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series when I was about thirteen. I need to re-read.
Tiffany
Apr 23, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
As a homeschooling family we have been using Heart of Dakota's curriculum this year. This unit study called for this book as a read aloud as we began to learn about the Vikings and other Germanic tribes.

We enjoyed this book from the beginning, it is very well written. We were drawn into the story and became attached to the characters. As we read further, we knew that we'd want to read the entire series. I'm glad we're going to finish it because the way the first book ends there is no way I coul
Anna Berkness
Apr 06, 2016 Anna Berkness rated it it was amazing
Really love this book series! it's full of adventure:)
Viking Quest Fans 14 22 Jan 04, 2015 03:48PM
What's The Name o...: christian YA book about an irish girl who gets kidnapped by vikings [s] 4 102 May 03, 2013 04:54PM
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Twice Freed
  • A Father's Promise
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • The Reb and the Redcoats
  • Augustine Came to Kent
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • Spy for the Night Riders
  • Chasing Jupiter

Viking Quest (5 books)
  • Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2)
  • The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3)
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)